Geneforge or Avernum Series?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge or Avernum Series?
Apprentice
Member # 7592
Profile #0
I have a few questions I want to ask people.

1. Which series do you think is better? the Geneforge series or Avernum series

2. Which series do you think has a brighter future (i.e. more games, more popularity, etc.)

3. How long have you been playing either of these series. Who started the day A1 was released?

Thanks for your answer.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
1. Honestly, I prefer Exile. But so far, the Avernums are better than the Geneforges in general (although the latest releases would flip that - GF4 much better than A4).

2. Both will probably end up at 6 games each, Geneforge has more direction and is looking up, but what we've heard of A5 has been really promising.

3. I've played since the early days of Exile I ... has it really been 12/13 years?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7592
Profile #2
Cool. I wasn't factoring in Exile, but that's a good idea. So I will change question 3 to:

How long have you been playing Spiderweb games? Since the day the day E1 was released in '94?

Also, I'd like to add another question for anyone else.

4. Do you play Avernum and Geneforge on Mac or PC?
Apprentice
Member # 7592
Profile #3
Oh. And I'm also going to change question one to:

1. Which series do you think is best? Exile, Avernum, or Geneforge.

Sorry about change a minute after the first change!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
Exile.

Just because.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
I've been playing since the days of E1, although not day one of E1, and I've been using a Mac the whole time. More specifically, a series of Macs. I prefer Avernum to Exile and both to Geneforge, but Geneforge 4 is one of Jeff's best and Avernum 4 is, well, not.

—Alorael, who would like to point out that Nethergate has once again been overlooked. It's Jeff's best game, really. Get it, play it, and exclaim how much you love it in a manner that discomfits those around you.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I've been playing since the days of E1, although not day one of E1, and I've been using a Mac the whole time. More specifically, a series of Macs. I prefer Avernum to Exile and both to Geneforge, but Geneforge 4 is one of Jeff's best and Avernum 4 is, well, not.

—Alorael, who would like to point out that Nethergate has once again been overlooked. It's Jeff's best game, really. Get it, play it, and exclaim how much you love it in a manner that discomfits those around you.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #7
1. Which series do you think is better? the Geneforge series or Avernum series? Avernum

2. Which series do you think has a brighter future (i.e. more games, more popularity, etc.)? I believe Avernum would have more longevity but they both would be about equal on popularity.

3. How long have you been playing Spiderweb games? Since 1998.

4. Do you play Avernum and Geneforge on Mac or PC? PC. :D

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
thedudealex--feel free to edit your posts. That will help keep the confusion down.

1. I prefer the Geneforge series by a narrow margin, but A2 is my favorite game by far.

2. It could go either way. I just hope we get a new, original series soon (relatively speaking), instead of dragging the series on.

3. Since I found the A2 demo. I have no idea when that was, but it was probably some time after its release since I found it on an older CD.

4. Dikiyoba started playing on a Mac and then Dikiyoba switched over to a PC.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #9
IMAGE(http://tyranicus.sphosting.com/G6000.bmp)
1. Nethergate.
2. Avernum is more popular, and I have high hopes for A5.
3. Since the release of Nethergate.
4. Both.

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:43: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #10
1. Avernum. I tried GF1, but the shareware version doesn't let you get very far, and my funding was fairly limited at the time of purchase. Plus Avernum has BoA, which is my favorite SW game.

2. No idea. After Avernum 4, I can only hope it gets better.

3. Umm… let me see… I think my brother found the Avernum 3 demo right after we moved in the summer of 2002. I recall staying up all night playing it.

4. Mac. Always has been.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

(The Nethergate picture. Again.)
Every time... every single time. When will people learn?

1. Avernum.

2. Avernum.

3. I started with A2, back a while before A3 was released.

4. Mac.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
1. Geneforge. Each time Jeff makes a new game, the engine is superior. Also, I just like Geneforge's story more. Avernum/Exile's world is unique, but still has your average Dungeons and Dragons feel. Geneforge is a whole new world entirely.

2. Since Avernum has a more powerful past, I think people anticipate greater things for its future. I still have high hopes for more Geneforges, though.

3. I've been playing since Exile III. But I have played all Spiderweb games. Except the bad ones... no comment on those.

4. I play on a mac. It's awesome to be able to play these games right when they come out instead of waiting. The downside of course is that Spiderweb is just about the only company ever to release games for mac first.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #13
1. Between the three series, I suppose I think Avernum is the best. But all three are pretty much equal in my mind.

2. I'll reserve judgement until after A5.

3. Since Exile III and before A1, if I have my dates right. Of course, I tried EI and EII, but couldn't stand the differences.

4. Windows.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
1. Still prefer Nethergate then Exile with Avernum next. Geneforge 4 really turned the series around and makes me look forward to Geneforge 5. Can't wait until Nethergate Version 2.0.

2. Avernum is still more popular unless Jeff really fails at a decent plot for Avernum 5. He can't use the excuse that he's testing out a new game engine after all the plot complaints.

3. Played since late 2000 when I found Exile 3 on a sharewear disk. I couldn't get Exile 1 and 2 to install properly.

4. Started playing Exile series on Windows 3.1 and got a Mac for playing Avernum and Geneforge.

[ Monday, January 01, 2007 18:36: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Played since late 2000... Started playing Exile series on Windows 3.1
You were still using 3.1 in [i]2000?![/i]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #16
1. I don't play Geneforge, so it's between Exile and Avernum. I think the E3/BoE engine and the Avernum engine are both good, and each have their positives and negatives. I prefer Avernum because BoA is more powerful, and... because I can.

2. Hopefully Blades. :D

3. I started with Exile 3 way back in..... well it was about 9-10 years ago I think, so 1997-98?

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Played since late 2000... Started playing Exile series on Windows 3.1
You were still using 3.1 in [i]2000?![/i]

Yeah, I didn't want to waste money on an upgrade knowing how flawed Microsoft software is and was. It worked fine for what I need to do and I did get Windows XP when I got my Mac. I can't say that they did that much better a job in all those years. You would think that they could steal the better features from other companies since that is what they have always been best at.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #18
1. Don't play Geneforge, prefer Exile engine to Avernum engine.

2. Avernum - Exile is pretty much done, I hear Avernum 5 will be great, don't know about G5.

3. I've been playing Exile since 2000, but I didn't register until 2001, and I didn't get BoE until 2002. Started Avernum in 2003.

4. Started Mac, switched to PC. Only registered E3 on Mac though, and I also have it for Windows. (I still use Mac for internet, though)

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 09:47: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

Started Mac, switched to PC.
What kind of sick freak... I've never heard of someone doing this before. What possessed you to switch?

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #20
1. Exile, then Nethergate, then Avernum. Geneforge is just too eh. I never did like the paths offered.
2. Geneforge seems to be more popular. I don't where the Avernum series could go after A4. It was so awful.
3. I've played since about E2. I think it was the Vahnatai tests that finally hooked me and later E3.
4. Mac. Of course, I need to find a way to play the Exile games and BoE on Mac OS X w/o major slowdown now. The Classic engine and its grahpic rendering has issues under 10.4.x The Classic version offered for 10.2.x seemed much better.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

Started Mac, switched to PC.
What kind of sick freak... I've never heard of someone doing this before...
So, how long have you been ignoring Dikiyoba's posts? :P
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #22
I really love avernum and exile and i like G1 cause it approaches further to our times than the other games and i shows the tragedy of man kind but in exile and avernum it is about acceptance hope and freedom which is the thing that most men dream about .
PC SUCKS they bug all the time or have problems with instalations
and i have the more fast and reliable computer on the market and it's a MAC you lose.

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 00:41: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #23
1. Avernum, but Geneforge 1 was better than all of them(in my opinion). Having not played Geneforge 4 I cannot have an opinion on that.

2. Geneforge will have a brighter future because many younger people play it. And the hack and slash seems to go down well with them.

3. I started when Geneforge 1 was realeased and worked my way back into Avernum.

4. I play it on PC.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

So, how long have you been ignoring Dikiyoba's posts? :P
Et tu, Diki?

--------------------
You lose.

Pages