Hoax?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hoax?
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
I wonder if some of the people that can't see magic eye images think that the rest of us just lying and there isn't actually anything to see.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=BqSPCyolsPss"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=BqSPCyolsPss"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #1
I've never been able to see those things. I really wish I could.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #2
I've never had trouble seeing them inverted, but the regular way takes a little more concentration. Always fun though.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
Yea, I can't see them. When we were kids people started really getting into books full of these and to a guy who cant see the damn things thats kinda annoying.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
I can actually see the images in them both ways. If you naturally allow your eyes to blur the image the way they describe then you'll see it correctly. If you force your eyes to cross, then you'll see an 'inverted' image.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
I always used to think this was a hoax as well, but I have recently gotten them to work, they really do work if you do them right. I find ones printed on paper are easier than ones on computer screens.

Nails on a chalkboard, on the other hand, is a true hoax. I don't understand why people pretend that it hurts them, it just isn't that bad.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Lego, you continually surprise me with your strangeness.

For the most part, I can't see them... it takes a long time for my eyes to adjust correctly. When I see them, I see them the normal way, whatever that means. But they're generally boring.

EDIT: That's odd... I think Dikiyoba made an invisible post.

EDIT2: And it's back. Eh, whatever.

[ Sunday, December 10, 2006 15:20: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Once or twice I've seen images (and that's how I know you're not all lying :P ), but most of the time I can't see anything special.

Dikiyoba would probably be better at it if Dikiyoba practiced more, but Dikiyoba never found them all that fascinating.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Nails on a chalkboard, on the other hand, is a true hoax. I don't understand why people pretend that it hurts them, it just isn't that bad.
That's actually something that bothers me as well. It's kinda annoying but it doesn't hurt and isnt really even enough to make you cringe.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
EDIT: That's odd... I think Dikiyoba made an invisible post.
You make it sound like it was intentional. :P

Originally by Kingy:

quote:
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

That's actually something that bothers me as well. It's kinda annoying but it doesn't hurt and isnt really even enough to make you cringe.
It depends on the person. I bet it really does bother some people that much.

Dikiyoba doesn't mind screechy chalk, but Dikiyoba onced worked on a project near a bathroom with really loud hand dryers. They didn't bother anyone else, but they disturbed Dikiyoba so much Dikiyoba winced and ground Dikiyoba's teeth together every time one came on.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #10
When I get really tired, I have to concentrate not to see the magic eye pictures because my eyes just relax and go blurry on their own. Yet once again, I can go both ways.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
One of my eyes is really nearsighted and the other is basically fine, so they don't work together at all. I think this means that it is physically not possible for me to see them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I'm able to see them, but only sometimes. I can't figure out when or why.

—Alorael, who does cringe when he hears nails on chalkboards. It's not physically painful, but it's very irritating. Some people find the sound of styrofoam squeaking equally unbearable, but it's not as bad for him. What really gets him, though, is the sound of someone crumpling up a napkin.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
Crumpling a napkin makes a sound? That's new to me. Anyway, I see them every now and then, but I usually cannot.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #14
Oh yeah. Styrofoam is the worst. Chip bag crinkle sound is also really annoying.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

One of my eyes is really nearsighted and the other is basically fine, so they don't work together at all. I think this means that it is physically not possible for me to see them.
If they work together enought that you have depth perception, it should be possible. Have you considered a monocle?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

If they work together enought that you have depth perception, it should be possible.
Depth perception requires surprisingly little optical fidelity, whereas magic eyes require surprisingly high.
quote:
Have you considered a monocle?
Yes. Yes, I have. 0-)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #17
There is really only one sound that makes me physically convulse. It's the sound of a heavy, full, metal garbage can being dragged over grit on concrete. Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
The idea of nails on a chalkboard, or a fork scratching over a plate, or touching a pot made of burnt, unglazed clay all give me goosebumps. Not very bad, but it's irritating.

And I remember being able to see a magic eye picture once. Since then, I've been satisfied that it *is* possible, and usually given up in irritation when it didn't work in a few seconds on later attempts.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #19
That magic eye seems to pretty bad quality to begin with. It's all washed out.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #20
I'm pretty sure that website provides enough information about the creation of the images to verify that there is no hoax.

[ Monday, December 11, 2006 06:26: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #21
I have bad eyes, too, like Kel. My left one is really short-sighted. In fact, everything is blurred with it, no matter how close I am to things.

That said, I *did* see the guy in the boat (after cheating to see the answer). Although I guess it might just have been my mind forcing it onto the image. Otherwise, they don't work.

Also, 3D glasses don't work for me either.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #22
I am a true believer, and therefore can see them. For some reason, though, I find it much harder when the image is on a screen instead of on a piece of paper.

You know what's the real hoax? People claiming that UBB made the previous post in the thread invisible until after they made their own post. Don't believe them; they're just attempting to increase paranoia.

--------------------
The sun comes up just about as often as it goes down, in the long run, but this doesn't make its motion random.
- Seminumerical Algorithms (Donald Knuth)
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #23
Kel:
quote:

My eyes have different prescriptions and yet I can see the image with or without glasses (corrected or uncorrected). That being said, it may be that I don't have enough of a difference for it to become an impediment.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #24
I can see them. What makes magic eye images work, anyway?

Pages