A good idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A good idea
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #0
How about making a game where you play from a different perspective, e.g the imperials in Avernum....

Oh, and add multiplayer!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #1
Hello noob. Want a different perspective? Play Nethergate.
This all has been suggested before and there will never be a multiplayer. Sorry.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #2
Why would you need multiplayer? Multiplayer is used mainly for real-time action games or first person shooters.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

"But what ... is it good for?"
--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
There are very good turn-based multiplayer games. Jeff has previously stated that he has no interest in making a multiplayer game, however, so it is unlikely that he will do so.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Jeff has previously stated that he has no interest in making a multiplayer game
quote:
Originally written in the Avernum 4 Manual:
The first all-new game in the Exile/Avernum world in many a year. Which I swore I would never write.
While I highly doubt he'll make it multiplayer, it's worth noting that not everything he says is written in stone.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Thing is, writing a story he said he'd never write is still basically sticking to his last as a shareware CRPG maker. Creating a multiplayer game brings a whole lot of technical and designing difficulties with which Jeff has little experience. If I were him, I'd have to be doing very well indeed in sales of previous games, before risked half a year's income (at least) on such a novel venture.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #6
Jeff is a small company with a few employees him and his minions. Once he has including himself, ten minions he becomes subject to imperial cultural assay about which kinds of minions he can hire, he might have to hire vahnati, imperials, and other sorts he is not sure of, as well as be more subject to the empires auditors, and edicts about which vahnati holidays he must follow. Introducing the crystallosphere for many minions games may cause him much strife and grief. The claws of lawyers guild could cause him terrible strife, and the introduction of contractual scrolls could tear at his heart. Methinks that a single player is best.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #7
Is your post supposed to make some sort of sense?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
It makes champion sense.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Is your post supposed to make some sort of sense?
I think that the inclusion of the word "crystallosphere" answers the question somewhat :P

Basically, it's *trying* to be funny, I think. And placing Jeff inside one of his own game worlds. AND also making Jeff "a small company". He's also a tower block, if you look closely enough :P

[ Thursday, December 07, 2006 10:14: Message edited by: Mozzolini xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
For the uninitiated, it's a long-running inside joke here to refer to the enormous transnational corporation, whose ubiquitous products range the gamut from shareware games under the label 'Spiderweb' through cotton swabs under the label 'Q-Tips' all the way to heavy lift helicopters under the label 'Sikorsky' and thermonuclear warheads under the label 'Strategic Air Command', as 'Jeff'.

Apparently we can get away with it because they haven't yet trademarked the name.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #11
James's first suggestion was an OK one and can indeed be found in the Blades games and Nethergate. The second one will always continue to be asked as long as new members join these boards. At one time didn't we try to compile a FAQ for these?

Regarding Toast's post, I think it went past the line and over the cliff. I am not an authority on this, but I am pretty sure the adjectival form of Vahnatai is still vahnatai.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Jeff is a small company with a few employees him and his minions. Once he has including himself, ten minions he becomes subject to imperial cultural assay about which kinds of minions he can hire, he might have to hire vahnati, imperials, and other sorts he is not sure of, as well as be more subject to the empires auditors, and edicts about which vahnati holidays he must follow. Introducing the crystallosphere for many minions games may cause him much strife and grief. The claws of lawyers guild could cause him terrible strife, and the introduction of contractual scrolls could tear at his heart. Methinks that a single player is best.
Drunk posting kills 100,000 kittens every year.

Please, think of the kittens.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

The claws of lawyers guild could cause him terrible strife
It sounds like you're comparing lawyers to undead. That's really not fair, as undead aren't that bad. Many a zombie has been offended by your post.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
It sounds like you're comparing lawyers to undead. That's really not fair, as undead aren't that bad. Many a zombie has been offended by your post.
What are you talking about? You do not want a zombie to represent you should you ever get accused of a crime. All they can say is "Braaains!" That's just not good at convincing the jury that you're innocent. Plus, the smell of decay in a crowded courtroom? Definitely not a good thing.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
The "Braaains!" is a good intimidation tactic. Who's going to argue with something that would like to eat them? Also, the smell would speed the process up, and drive the prosecution to complete distraction.

Therefore, a zombie would make an excellent lawyer.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
Mr. Slant* notes his agreement. The defense rests.

[[*Pratchett.]]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Thing is, writing a story he said he'd never write is still basically sticking to his last as a shareware CRPG maker. Creating a multiplayer game brings a whole lot of technical and designing difficulties with which Jeff has little experience. If I were him, I'd have to be doing very well indeed in sales of previous games, before risked half a year's income (at least) on such a novel venture.
Spiderweb is just a front for Chromite Software, and Chromite is just a front for the cult.

—Alorael, who will see whose back is against the wall when the Great White comes. As always, the conscientious Spiderwebber will endeavor to be eaten first.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

James's first suggestion was an OK one and can indeed be found in the Blades games and Nethergate. The second one will always continue to be asked as long as new members join these boards. At one time didn't we try to compile a FAQ for these?
I tried to write an FAQ once. I'm honestly not sure if things went according to plan.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #19
I wouldn't call that topic a true, community-based attempt at a forum FAQ.

Alorael, how you do you come up with these puns and stuff about Richard White?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
Originally by Garrison:

quote:
Alorael, how you do you come up with these puns and stuff about Richard White?
They are all beamed directly into cult members minds from the White One via the implants. As to why Alorael is better at recieving these signals than most others, well, that is up for debate. Is it the all the skribbane he imbibes? Did a chessboard of bestow great honor? Did he eat a shark? Blue? Or is he the Chosen-One-That-Isn't-But-Will-Have-Been-By-Next-Tuesday? Perhaps it is best that our mortal minds don't know the real answer.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
I could tell you, but then I'd have to indoctrinate you.

—Alorael, who understands that that sounds only moderately threatening. It's much worse when you know what the indoctrination process entails. Of course he can't tell you. He has to indoctrinate you first.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
Don't listen to the lies. There never was, is, or will be any such thing as Richard White. His existence is all an elaborate hoax. And they don't even have any blurry photographs or footprint molds to back it up with. All they have is a small series of games that could have been made by any twelve year old Indonesian sweat shop worker. Not even a zombie could work with that meager evidence.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
There never was, is, or will be any such thing as Richard White. His existence is all an elaborate hoax. And they don't even have any blurry photographs or footprint molds to back it up with.
What are you talking about? There's plenty of evidence, such as this.

Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #24
My god. You sickos are far worse than I could have ever imagined.

[ Thursday, December 07, 2006 21:04: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.

Pages