Mac Users: Post Your Dashboard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac Users: Post Your Dashboard
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #0
We've had desktop-posting topics before, but to the best of my knowledge, we have yet to have a dashboard-posting topic. That changes now. :P
IMAGE(http://www.shadowvale.net/dashboard.png)

[ Sunday, October 15, 2006 17:41: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I've got the weather, the dictionary, and a whole lot of stickies. My widgets are not creative.

—Alorael, who is too lazy to take a screenshot of boring widgets. He doesn't even use the dictionary, so all he has is weather and notes to himself. Fascinating!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
That seems so... cluttered.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #3
Well, why does one need empty space on their Dashboard? :P
It may be a bit cluttered, but I find all of those widgets useful.

[ Sunday, October 15, 2006 18:09: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Dikiyoba was going to comment on Tyranicus's clutter, and then Dikiyoba realized that Dikiyoba has Musicmatch Jukebox, a Notepad document, two Word documents, a dictionary, and Spiderweb all open and Dikiyoba is currently using them all. So no comment from Dikiyoba.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
Date and Time, because unless it's a holiday I have no clue what's going on. Weather, so I know whether to wear the 1700's Valois jacket and frilly shirt or the Soviet era trench coat with the furry hat. A dictionary/thesaurus, so I can seem more perspicacious than I really am. A calculator, perfect score on math section of the SAT and yet and can't do simple subtraction to save my life. 'This Day in History,' happy birthday to Virgil and Neitzsche. And, finally, Shakespearean insults, you rank rump-fed apple-john!

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #6
Wow. I only have my Google page for that kind of stuff. Then again, I don't have a Mac.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
Dashboard is funny. Very useful, but not quite how I expected, somehow. I end up having a few little utilities that I use regularly, like weather and a German dictionary, which could just as easily run normally but would bother me if they were cluttering up my Dock.

Stuff that is basically just launching a web browser for me turns out to be a pointless waste of memory, so I ditched the Wikipedia widget and stuff like that. For a while I had a lot of to-do list kinds of things, but I ended up just using iCal a lot instead.

A few games or amusements are okay.

Stickies are great, since they're immediately accessible but normally out of my face.

But my current favorite, and replacement for most of my Stickies, is iClip Lite. It's a long row of clipboard storage slots, with little thumbnail portholes to see what's in them. It looks nice and works simply, and it's a great tidy way of stashing pretty much anything for quick later retrieval.

Anybody try Yahoo Widgets? Several of them seemed to look nicer than most Dashboard widgets, but of these the nicest turned out to be brutal resource hogs, and although they eventually got fixed, somehow the trouble of running two widget systems at once never seemed justified.

I'm looking forward to the multiple desktops of Leopard. I always used to like this feature in KDE and Solaris.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
Ahem... What is a Dashboard?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
It's something the Mac-users get. Think system tray in the Windows taskbar, but much more fancier, bigger, and interactive.

Looks a lot like my Google Desktop thingie - those gadgets tend to cover up a lot of the desktop, too. I have a battery meter, a digital clock (redundant, yes), weather prediction, digg, a Feedreader, a calendar, an iTunes control panel, etc...

I'll post a screenshot of it when I get home.

Tyran: Extra kudos to you for actually using my Spiderweb newsfeed! :D

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba was going to comment on Tyranicus's clutter, and then Dikiyoba realized that Dikiyoba has Musicmatch Jukebox, a Notepad document, two Word documents, a dictionary, and Spiderweb all open and Dikiyoba is currently using them all. So no comment from Dikiyoba.
Aye. By the time I realize I should close a few windows, my RAM cache is usually filled at around 1 GB and my mouse moves through treacle... :rolleyes:

That you can "shut down" a laptop in sleep mode without turning it off doesn't help. Sometimes, a week passes before I reboot - and that's several times as long as Windows XP's recommendable up-time. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
Is that really true, about rebooting XP that often? I thought that was just Mac hype, since I didn't really have all that much trouble with needing restarts when I was running Windows 2000 Professional some years ago, and I heard XP was more stable than it was.

And I have had to restart Mac OS X. A few times, I think, over the past four years, apart from OS updates; and those cases were back in 10.2. 10.4 is indeed pretty darn stable.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
You don't need to reboot Windows XP often, but it's recommended, because things can get a little wierd if you time in 30 or more hours.

Of course, I'm one to talk, considering that my version of XP Pro has been running for a grand total of approximately 400 hours straight (16 days) without a single reboot or shut-down. Having a TVR doesn't help.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 06:44: Message edited by: Ghouloca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Aran:

Looks a lot like my Google Desktop thingie - those gadgets tend to cover up a lot of the desktop, too. I have a battery meter, a digital clock (redundant, yes), weather prediction, digg, a Feedreader, a calendar, an iTunes control panel, etc...
isn't the Google Desktop always on top of your desktop, though? That's the beuaty of the Dashboard. It's only there when you pull it up with F12, and it goes away as soon as you press F12 again or click outside of a widget. You can pull it up at any time too, even on top of other applications.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

And I have had to restart Mac OS X. A few times, I think, over the past four years, apart from OS updates; and those cases were back in 10.2. 10.4 is indeed pretty darn stable.
I actually have had to restart occasionally in 10.4, as recently as 10.4.7, but it's still incredibly more stable than XP. :P

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

You don't need to reboot Windows XP often, but it's recommended, because things can get a little wierd if you time in 30 or more hours.

Of course, I'm one to talk, considering that my version of XP Pro has been running for a grand total of approximately 400 hours straight (16 days) without a single reboot or shut-down. Having a TVR doesn't help.

My desktop has been running for about 2 weeks. Of course, all I ever use it for is TV recording and playing games, and not actively using XP increases its stability quite a lot.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 07:15: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
My other XP machine has been up for weeks at a stretch. Barring badly-coded full-screen programs that lock the entire machine and required resets for Windows Updates, it pretty much can always stay on. I've logged something like 5 weeks uptime on it.

I haven't had this one for long enough to really come to a conclusion, but it seems to have odd problems with the sound card deciding to quit functioning until the computer is rebooted if it encounters errors. So yeah, I have to reboot this one every few days because of that, which means that it probably will not ever have an uptime measured in multiple weeks.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
Wow, Tyran, You're really a fan of Without a Trace. I'm more interested in NCIS myself.

And I've hit that sound card problem before, too. But I think it has more to do with the fact that this computer is about 11 years old, and by all rights, shouldn't even be running XP, let alone XP Pro.

--------------------

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Ghouloca:

Wow, Tyran, You're really a fan of Without a Trace. I'm more interested in NCIS myself.

And I've hit that sound card problem before, too. But I think it has more to do with the fact that this computer is about 11 years old, and by all rights, shouldn't even be running XP, let alone XP Pro.

Actually, that widget shows me what's on TV at the moment. I can scroll down through all the channels. CBS just happens to be Channel 3 here, and Without a Trace happened to be on when I took that screenshot. :P

That said, I have been known to watch it from time to time, but I also like NCIS. I was also a big fan of JAG, the show that NCIS is based off.

Also, XP Pro's system requirements are the same as XP Home's.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 07:38: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Discovering iClip Lite made this topic worthwhile. Thanks, SoT.

—Alorael, whose PowerBook runs continuously except for system updates. He occasionally experiences memory leaks, but using du in the terminal fixes that. Why du should change and not just display file space usage is entirely unclear to him, but his RAM voodoo works.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Also, XP Pro's system requirements are the same as XP Home's.
Try telling that to my computer. I don't blame it either, a P2 299 MHz processor and 128 MB Ram is not a lot to work on.

And don't even get me started on my hard drives.

EDIT: Now that's neat. In the Spiderweb Forums wiget in your screenshot, one of my posts is the first one listed. Now, if only it was a half-way decent post.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 08:00: Message edited by: Ghouloca ]

--------------------

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #20
Things like these are why I hate Apple.
*is totally jelous*
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Lenny:

Things like these are why I hate Apple.
*is totally jelous*

At least we get to hear them talk about stability problems. I've never had any issues with Win2kPro. I wish I could say the same for IE, Aran's site makes it cry.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #22
Win2KPro is a redundancy. The home version of Windows 2000 was that horrible mess known as Windows Me. :P

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
http://ryan-thompson.home.comcast.net/dashboard.png

EDIT: Image too huge - made link.

EDIT 2: This picture reveals a lot about me that I am too lazy to censor.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 09:29: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #24
Wow. I would never think about leaving my laptop on for days on end. I usually shut it off at night or when I'm going to be gone for several hours.

Dikiyoba supposes it must be because Dikiyoba's laptop doesn't take any longer to start up than it does to log back in after sleep mode. And because Dikiyoba doesn't always keep the laptop plugged in, so it's good not to drain the battery.

Pages