Mac Users: Post Your Dashboard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Mac Users: Post Your Dashboard
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #25
I honestly can't remember the last time I turned off my MacBook Pro. The last time I rebooted was the other week when installing the 10.4.8 update.

What's the name of that widget that shows your system status, Drakey?

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 09:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #26
Pardon the accidental double-post.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 09:53: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
iStat Pro - it's great!

And I mainly keep my laptop in my room and running/processing at night, so I prefer to keep it on.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
My laptop uses up its batteries during the day and gets recharged overnight. It's a good system, and it means I can keep Progress Quest running day and night.

—Alorael, who has heard that it's better for battery lifespan, too. In fact, there's apparently a gadget that will make your battery run down and recharge even if you just leave your laptop plugged in.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
I got one of the new intel macs, and I don't recommend it! I don't notice any differences in speed compared to my old computer (that iMac with the swively monitor) and yet it does something I've never experienced before... random crashes!

I have never ever in my history of owning macs (and I've had everything since those old tan boxes) never once did one crash on me for no reason. Granted, sometimes I would push limits by running programs with known bugs, or altering programs like I'm not supposed to, but those crashes are to be expected. This new intel crap crashes games I've player for years, completely at random! Granted, since it is running osx, a program crashing merely means the program closes as opposed to the whole computer freezing (which never happens on any macs with osx ever to my knowledge) but still! I'm the Emperor! How am I supposed to put up with this?

What was the topic for this thread again?

Edit to add something relevant: I notice both screenshots so far have a measurement conversion widget. When will the rest of the world learn that the American customary system dominates your outdated metric one? Do you still think the world is flat, too?

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 11:13: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I got one of the new intel macs, and I don't recommend it! I don't notice any differences in speed compared to my old computer (that iMac with the swively monitor) and yet it does something I've never experienced before... random crashes!

I have never ever in my history of owning macs (and I've had everything since those old tan boxes) never once did one crash on me for no reason. Granted, sometimes I would push limits by running programs with known bugs, or altering programs like I'm not supposed to, but those crashes are to be expected. This new intel crap crashes games I've player for years, completely at random! Granted, since it is running osx, a program crashing merely means the program closes as opposed to the whole computer freezing (which never happens on any macs with osx ever to my knowledge) but still! I'm the Emperor! How am I supposed to put up with this?

What was the topic for this thread again?

Edit to add something relevant: I notice both screenshots so far have a measurement conversion widget. When will the rest of the world learn that the American customary system dominates your outdated metric one? Do you still think the world is flat, too?

The dual-core Intel CPUs are incredibly faster. Try doing something processor-intensive such as converting video and you'll see what I mean. As for program crashes, the do happen occasionally. Apple is still ironing out some of the bugs in Rosetta. Universal Binary programs run fine though, and most older programs have issues so rarely as to make it a minor annoyance. As for your measurement statement, please tell me that's a joke. The English system is what's outdated. I really don't know why we haven't switched over like every other country in the world.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
I have yet to do things like convert video and whatever... I really am big on Final Cut, soon, soon. Until then, I notice no difference with things I do day to day, like World of Warcraft, which still runs less than perfect on the highest graphics settings. The Emperor must have the highest graphics and distance settings! Interestingly enough, though World of Warcraft has yet to crash on me, Warcraft III does so often. Damn, a game doesn't release a patch for a few months and all of the sudden it doesn't run on any of the new hardware. Someone out there is laughing.

Measurements: I was joking, logic is too close to my heart (Brain! The heart does not think!) for me to not love the metric system. Though I must admire those few countries that still resists it, it gives them character.

--------------------
You lose.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #32
In today's society, I fear it just gives the rest of the world another reason to dislike us.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #33
My MacBookPro hasn't crashed and is noticeably faster than my G4 iMac, although that could be a side effect of the 2 GB of RAM (which is noticeably faster than the two weeks I only had 1 GB of RAM).

I can have tons of programs open and not experience slowdown, especially processor-intensive games like CM 03/04, along with web browser, email, and iChat and FTP. It's really great.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #34
Tyranicus: Why don't you cry some more, hippy! The rest of the world just can't handle the customary system, so they use a system based on the number ten so... what... they can count on their fingers? The metric system is, as Tullegolite philosophy dictates, a tool of the weak. I mean, look at the evidence: which country uses the customary system? In my eyes, it seems that when a nation uses the customary measurement system, it is a sure path to becoming the world's sole superpower.

Edit: Drakefyre: Mmm, MacBookPro. I've never had a problem with having multiple applications open at once. Once again, I thought that was just a windows thing. I always thought it was funny when my friend would drag his mouse across his windows desktop and the box would stay for a second after he released the button (out of slowness). I just couldn't imagine that ever happening on one of my macs.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 12:37: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #35
-Views topic-
-Shakes head-

I personally have no need for widgets...
Heck, the only time I have more than four windows open (not including fourteen processes on the taskbar) is when I'm working on BOA... and then, I generally have six or seven active programs running with nine or ten windows up.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin thinks he finally has fitted in the last piece of the puzzle and now knows the answer to the ultimate question...
Of course, I already knew who wrote the Book of Love, so I don't care about the effort he put into it.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #36
This is cool. I never knew that Macs had a "dashboard" such as that. It would be quite useful for me at times, but that's okay. Tyran's is pretty darn cool, except for showing the New York / St. Louis game at the Cardinals' worst possible moment. :P

They'll still win the series, though.

[ Monday, October 16, 2006 16:24: Message edited by: Sturg ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Sturg:

This is cool. I never knew that Macs had a "dashboard" such as that. It would be quite useful for me at times, but that's okay. Tyran's is pretty darn cool, except for showing the New York / St. Louis game at the Cardinals' worst possible moment. :P

They'll still win the series, though.

Against Detroit? You've got to be kidding me.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #38
Pah, widgets. OS 10.3.9 FTW! Resisting change to the bitter end! :D

But yeah, my laptop's been pleasantly stable since the month or two when its logic board just didn't want to live anymore. But that was after about two years of use anyway. And when this one can't go on anymore... (shudder)

Well, then it'll be time for a MacBook. I think I'm guaranteed a free upgrade after the tech support follies I endured this past spring. And then I'll probably get a few widgets.

But my Dock, as is: Finder, iTunes, Firefox, Safari, Appleworks, Word, iChat, AOL (I wish I didn't need it), iPhoto, iCal, Black & White, Black & White Creature Isle, BoA, BoA Editor, Dialogue Editor, TextEdit, GraphicAdjuster, Stickies. And then the BoA Editor Docs and Appendix.

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

Against Detroit? You've got to be kidding me.
I think he meant the NLCS. And don't count us out of the World Series... remember, we've made it this far, and as a fan of the fell-behind-the-Pirates Chicago Cubs, you can't judge. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
Well, I run several processor-intensive programs that do seriously slow down any system (like CM 03/04, a soccer management simulation), but have zipped along on my MacBookPro.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #40
Someone else still with AppleWorks? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who still uses it. Not much, granted, but some. It crashes far less than Word and doesn't suffer from the crotchetiness of NeoOffice. And it's older!

—Alorael, whose dock is ordinary and boring. He still shoves everything in folders and navigates to them with arrows and apple-down, which he remembers as an apparently undocumented key combination identical to apple-O. Then they went and documented it and ruined all the fun.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

I have never ever in my history of owning macs (and I've had everything since those old tan boxes) never once did one crash on me for no reason.
Somebody clearly never owned a Performa 5200. -_-

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #42
quote:

Tyranicus: Why don't you cry some more, hippy! The rest of the world just can't handle the customary system, so they use a system based on the number ten so... what... they can count on their fingers? The metric system is, as Tullegolite philosophy dictates, a tool of the weak. I mean, look at the evidence: which country uses the customary system? In my eyes, it seems that when a nation uses the customary measurement system, it is a sure path to becoming the world's sole superpower.
Jamaica is a superpower?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Aran:

Looks a lot like my Google Desktop thingie - those gadgets tend to cover up a lot of the desktop, too. I have a battery meter, a digital clock (redundant, yes), weather prediction, digg, a Feedreader, a calendar, an iTunes control panel, etc...
isn't the Google Desktop always on top of your desktop, though? That's the beuaty of the Dashboard. It's only there when you pull it up with F12, and it goes away as soon as you press F12 again or click outside of a widget. You can pull it up at any time too, even on top of other applications.

No. The sidebar vanishes into the right side of the screen when the mouse leaves it, and the gadgets can be toggled on and off with a button that is in the system tray.

(And both will work regardless of how many windows are open - leaving aside full-screen games and such that take away your task bar as well.)

quote:
not actively using XP increases its stability quite a lot
Lose the "actively" and you have the most awesome sig quote ever.

"Not ... using XP increases its stability quite a lot."

[ Tuesday, October 17, 2006 00:02: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #44
XP ... >,<

Planned smilie potential?

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #45
Yes. "XP" is, in fact, Bill Gates sticking his tongue out at you using his sorry excuse for an operating system.

I swear.

I read it... somewhere.

XP

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #46
I managed to crash XP to blue screen for the first time a few weeks ago. I don't remember whether it resulted from playing NWN or not... may have had something to do with Norton Internet Security. That, in my experience, has affected XP performance more than any other application I've ever worked with.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #47
Dikiyoba has yet to hear a good thing about using Norton.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #48
At my college, everybody who signs up (and pays an exorbitant amount given the tuition we already pay) for an internet account gets a free copy of Norton antivirus. The Mac version they gave us was a joke... every time its LiveUpdate side-program tried to run, the Time Remaining bar just kept getting longer and longer.

I think I let it get to 400 hours remaining once before I had to force quit it into submission. And I honestly don't think it ever scanned anything I downloaded. Ever.

I think Norton for Mac is a primitive attempt at a Mac virus. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #49
Here at school, they apparently give out free anti-virus software, but they never told anyone where to find it online. ASU's search engine is so terrible, it takes me forever to find anything. I put in "MAT 170 home page" into the search bar an said page was somewhere past the 5th page. [/rant]

More school internet anger: We have to download Clean Access Agent to get online. That's okay, but before you can get online, you have to download the lates version of whatever anti-virus software you are using. To get the updates, you need to go online. See where I'm going with this? They really didn't think that through.

Additional internet anger: I can't play NWN online. :(

ASU needs to be slapped.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil

Pages