New Computer!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New Computer!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #0
My new laptop came today. It's nice and green :)

So let me ask you, when was the last time you upgraded your PC- (or Mac-)ing experience? Parts or wholes count. I suspect some of you are using some aging hardware...

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:46: Message edited by: old-school demonslaying ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #1
The family bought me this original 12" (I think) iBook in 2003, and it has been my constant friend and companion since.

It's had some bugs though. The entire thing fried after about a year of use (having not been lucky enough to qualify for a LogicBoard recall), and the entire thing had to be sent to Apple, gutted, erased, and then remade, which involved having to firewire the entire hard drive to my mom's much snappier new iMac. Plus, the battery died, and is now sitting on my desk, completely separate from the actual computer, making using the computer in the middle of a desert completely impossible unless there's an outlet.

But this baby's ok. The only really cool hardware it's gotten is a Logitech optical mouse (two buttons!!), and the only really practical upgrade was the extra 512 MB of Ram we bought for the thing, and an OS upgrade to Panther. Woo-hoo.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
9 days ago :P

Rocking a new MacBook Pro.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
I screwed in an extra 256 MB chip into my laptop to give it a total of 512 MB RAM. Think that was about half a year ago or more.

This laptop is about to have its second birthday. It's a Samsung V25. 1.3 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, and a 30 GB hard drive (supplemented by a Targa DataBox 300 GB external hard drive). Two years ago it was pretty good, though not state of the art. Failing sudden breakdowns (NO, Mr. Murphy!) I suppose I can use it for another 3 years before I look around for a new one, or sooner if I can afford it. I might get a desktop computer instead though - this computer will be good enough for mobile use any time.

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 00:33: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #4
I bought/built a badass pc in January -05. Nowadays it's just decent, but I can still play all of the latest games, if not on the absolute max settings. Haven't upgraded it much since, just added some ram and another hard drive. Basically it's still the same.

I'm not planning on upgrading in the near future, though. Since this computer was built with the desibel count in mind, and I don't seem to have much interest in the new games, I suspect my money will be better spent elsewhere. Still, I could get a new monitor...
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
My desktop computer is about 2.5 years old, but its AMD64 processor is still fast enough to tackle anything I have thrown at it so far.

I upgraded the motherboard because the USB ports were broken (now, I think I could have saved the money and soldered some wires to simply new ports), and half a year ago I upgraded the RAM to 512MB.

My computer has still been running wonderfully, and I will not be replacing it for at least another 6 months.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
I got a new Compaq Presario notebook a couple of months ago, as my desktop literally blew up.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #7
I just got a new laptop on the cheap last month.

120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, centrino processor. It gets the job done.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #8
I'm stuck with a five-year-old Hp Pavilion.

I've recently upgraded the cd-rom to a dvd-rom/cd-burner, upgraded the integrated audio to a Sound Blaster Audigy Se, and upgraded the integrated video with a somewhat better Ati Radeon VE.

All in all, I think it's time I should get a job and upgrade.

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 15:44: Message edited by: Joseph Stalin ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #9
I have a shiny new 15.4" MacBook Pro that I got back in the beginning of July.
2.0 GHz Core Duo CPU
1024 MB DDR2 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 Graphics
100 GB SATA Hard Drive
4x DVD-RW Drive
MacOSX 10.4.7/Windows XP Pro SP2

Also, I recently traded my iBook G4 and Alienware Sentia laptops to a friend of mine for his custom-built desktop, to which I have made a few modifications.

2.4 GHz Pentium 4 CPU
2 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce 6800 Graphics
200 GB SATA/2 80 GB IDE Hard Drives
16x Dual-Layer DVD-RW Drive
Hauppage WinTV PVR150 TV/FM Radio Tuner/Recorder
Windows 98SE/Windows XP Pro SP2/Fedora Core 5 Linux

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 16:46: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I got my PowerBook about a year ago. It's the last of the PowerBooks, actually, which makes it either a collector's item or obsolete, depending on how you look at it. I'd like to get myself a MacBook (Pro) but I really have absolutely no justification for spending the money.

—Alorael, who still marvels at having more than 450 Mhz. Vaulting into the world of 21st century computing feels so good!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
I got my MAc iBook G4 about a year and a half ago. I never expected Apple would go over to Intel chips or I might have waited. It was an upgrade from my old Windows based AST Pentium computer from 1993. I still use that for word processing since it's hooked up to the printer and how fast do you need your spell checker to go?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Dikiyoba has had a Dell Inspiron 600m for almost two years now. It still works well enough, so Dikiyoba doubts Dikiyoba will upgrade soon.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #13
Let's see, for the last three or four years I've had... 400 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, 8 GB HD... yep, time to trash the ancient Aptiva and get a new computer this year (still, can't argue with the hand-me-down price ;) ). Still debating whether I should get I laptop so I can take it to school, or build my own desktop with all the bells and whistles.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not hold any sort of public celebration within my castle walls. Any event open to members of the public will be held down the road in the festival pavilion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #14
Well, depending on how recent you want to go...
I just (as in Monday) bought an XFX GeForce 7600 PCI 16X vid card, because my computer hates rendering lighting and I had enough money left over from book buying to splurge on a very nice sale item :D .

Just last month, I bought an entire refurbished prefab Gateway, including 1 gig of DDR, a Pentium 4 3-something Ghz processor, 250 gig SATA HD, and DVD+-RW burner. I required a new desktop to fit my editing and rendering needs, and this fit the bill and then some, for about $200 less than I expected.

Granted, this also means that the only thing that I may upgrade within the next five years is the sound system.
Well, that and my outdated video I/O solution.

EDIT: Removing sensitive info and fixing the typo for Tyran.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin had to get a new computer recently, too.
This is why we don't play with matches and Acetylene torches indoors near sensitive equipment.

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 19:31: Message edited by: Lenar Research Facilites ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Research Facilites:

Pentium 4 3-something Khz processor
I hope you mean Ghz. If not, that's quite a slow CPU. :P

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 19:27: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #16
One of my most reliable PCs ran at 12 Khz.
It was a SCSI-based IBM.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin dances the dance and he dances well.
Or something.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #17
dangit. I meant to hit edit and selected quote instead. I am quite the moron.

[ Wednesday, August 23, 2006 19:31: Message edited by: Lenar Research Facilites ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
This computer I'm on now, I think we bought in 2001, but it still works for what we work it for. 1.5GHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, Integrated Graphics (arguably the worst part :/), and a 17" CRT. It came with 128MB of RAM, but it became understandable necessary for an upgrade, probably a couple years ago.

My brother got a new laptop a few months back. 1.83GHz Duo, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 256MB ATI X1400 Graphics (games are like fluid in comparison to this one), and a 15.4" screen. It's very nice, but I'm rarely allowed to touch it. :(

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #19
My red iMac is fast getting to be 6 years old. It still works fine with OS 10.4 though.

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Let's see, for the last three or four years I've had... 400 Mhz, 128 MB RAM, 8 GB HD... yep, time to trash the ancient Aptiva and get a new computer this year (still, can't argue with the hand-me-down price ;) ). Still debating whether I should get I laptop so I can take it to school, or build my own desktop with all the bells and whistles.
My iMac is 100 Mhz faster than yours nyah nyah! :P ;)

BtW, is your new laptop one of those funny little $100 laptops?

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 00:52: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
About a month or so ago I bought myself a new Intel Imac. It works great, and is a big improvement over my old Imac G3. At the moment its running Mac OS 10.4.7, Windows XP SP2, Mac OS 6, and Mac OS 9 is on its way to be installed. Just waiting for the disc now.

When I bouhgt the Imac, I put in an extra 1 GB of RAM, too.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #21
Our 13" monitor is a 4 year old gateway, but our PC is about two years old, custom assembled by one of hubby's high-up business friends. I could throw out numbers about how much of everything it has but I'd be blowing smoke since I have no idea. All I know is that it has a lot.

edit: I did say 'I have no idea' now didn't I. The CPU is also about two years old, along with the rest of the PC.

[ Friday, August 25, 2006 09:05: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

Our 13" monitor is a 4 year old gateway, but our CPU is about two years old, custom assembled by one of hubby's high-up business friends. I could throw out numbers about how much of everything it has but I'd be blowing smoke since I have no idea. All I know is that it has a lot.
Please do not use CPU to refer to your entire computer. That's a common trend these days, no matter how wrong it is. The CPU (central processing unit) is actually just a chip, about 1-2" square, that controls your computer.

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 08:25: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #23
I got this computer in December and upgraded the graphics card in June. It's stats now are:

It's a Gateway
Pentium 2.8 Ghz Duo (sweet!)
1 GB RAM
200 GB Hard drive
NVIDIA 6700 Graphics card
An old monitor that will have to be replaced soon- the graphics card it putting too much strain on it

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #24
I bought my new laptop in March, but I'm still using my old desktop, which is perfectly good for most purposes. The only thing that doesn't run well on it is Avernum 4 (even with the update, moving about is extremely sluggish).

The trouble with having 2 computers is I now have to configure everything twice over. I originally thought synchronising the data would be more of a problem but actually that's quite easy, what drives me mad is the multitude of little options and customisations that my control-freakery requires to be set exactly the same on both machines at all times...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4

Pages