Other similar games?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Other similar games?
Apprentice
Member # 7318
Profile #0
Hi all

I'm new here and have just started my Spiderweb Software gaming experienc.

Long story short, I ended up with Morrowind...and found it not quite what I like. However always knew about Geneforge and family (through Gametunnel) and now trying out their software. Keeping me engrossed much easily than the Elder Scroll game could.

However I pose this question.
Quality open-ended rpg game seems to be very scarce (not including the MMORPG's). What other games are out there of note?

PS Wasn't sure where to post this...

Jawbax

--------------------
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
Charles Darwin
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #1
Well, I know a multitude of CRPGs, but none of them quite match the open-endedness of Geneforge series. However, if roguelikes are not too mind-boggling to you, you could always give Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) a shot, but it's light years away from Geneforge and Morrowind.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Apprentice
Member # 7318
Profile #2
I already had my stint with rogue-like adventures. Took a small amount of time, but ascended in Nethack. That was heavily addicting at one stage.

Was considering ADOM at one stage, but eventually chose Nethack over it.

--------------------
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
Charles Darwin
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #3
There is nothing like Spiderwebsoftware Games out there that is any good from independent game companies. I despise Never Winter Nights, I despise a lot of the other game companies. There are a few Isometric MMORPGS like Daimonin with similar graphics, these get a little stale after a while. I've tried out most of the free games, they suck. If you are looking for a good oldschool game like Eye of the Beholder, Undercroft by Rake In Grass has a nice demo which is pretty good, but nothing like Spiderwebsoftware.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

I despise Never Winter Nights, I despise a lot of the other game companies.
Out of curiosity, why? It's one of my favorite D&D CRPGs.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
NWN is definitely one of the best D&D CRPGs.

Having said that, I still don't like it as much as I like my memories of playing D&D tabletop.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #6
I really like Neverwinter Nights, but I have never played real D&D. And jawbox, I don't really like Morrowind either.
I recomend Nethack and/or Slash'em. both will provide you with infinite entertainment.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by jawbax:

However I pose this question.
Quality open-ended rpg game seems to be very scarce (not including the MMORPG's). What other games are out there of note?
Jawbax

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "Fallout." As far as open-endedness goes, Fallout 1 and 2 are the most notable ones aside from the Elder Scrolls series.

"Arcanum" is another open-ended RPG. If you like steampunk then this is your cup of tea.

--------------------
Lancer
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
Here is what I don't like about Neverwinter Nights. 1) The controls and view are horrible. 2) The graphics are too boxy looking without enough curves. 3) The skill system is partially points based which sucks. It breaks with the traditional randomness of AD&D, making it weird. 4) It is too easy to manipulate the AI, fight in corners or use the terrain properly and it is too easy to kill the monsters. Baldur's gate design and game play were far superior, they took a step backward with this system. Instead of developing it further, they switched to a new system that was not as good for computer games.

Arcanum is a fun game which is not too expensive and has good game play. It is very different from Avernum, but it is still pretty good.

I think Fallout 2 is way overrated. Fallout 1 was good, but the be all and end all of games. It was fun. It is worth getting the original Fallout, but Fallout 2 is a disappointment.

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 05:29: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #9
HMMMM, what exactly is morrowind, a nice game like geneforge?

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #10
I don't know enough about Morrowind to judge it. However, the demons destroy everything is not exactly an orignal story.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #11
Try Mount&Blade.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
Morrowind isn't about demons. Oblivion, it's sequel, is.

Morrowind is a very open-ended, 3D, first- and third-person RPG from Bethesda. Some people love it's open world, but others (like me) get bored after a while with the lack of true direction.

Oblivion adressed many of these issues, but the core problems still exist, imo. I still had fun playing through it, but now I haven't touched it in months.

www.elderscrolls.com

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #13
Oblivion was a decent game, but it seemed odd playing an RPG with a world that huge with only you and a handful of NPCs.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
Mount and Blade was odd. It is funny running around in a first person action game on horseback. I really couldn't get the controls right, but it is very interesting. You get to control your characters swings and blocks as well as bow.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #15
Gladius by Lucas Arts is pretty good. It gets a tad boring at some times, but definetly worth the money.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #16
I really enjoyed Morrowind and for $10 there isnt much point not getting it. Also Oblivion is pretty good but it doesn't seem to have the same feel as Morrowind. The whole new sneak thing is way better though. I love those games.