Israel - Lebanon conflict

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Israel - Lebanon conflict
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Icky:

Civilians are dying because Israel is unable to not respond to an attack by what is, in a very real sense, Lebanon.
I dispute this. What exactly is it that prevents Israel from exercising any restraint? The exact incident that has provoked the current crisis is the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers (thank you for the dissembling there, Zeviz - appreciate it); the response has cost anywhere between 20 and 50 civilian lives.

Would it kill them to initiate military action in self-defense only when they're actually defending themselves? All this looks like to me is revenge, one in a long chain of reprisals between two opposing sides.

Ultimately, the goal of radical anti-Israeli organizations is not to destroy Israel themselves, because they don't have the numbers or the weaponry to manage that, even combined. Their goal is to turn public opinion in the Middle East so thoroughly against the people of Israel that there will be no end save the destruction of one or both.

Of course, the Israeli right is all too willing to dance with them - not out of stupidity, but because they too are astounding racists and playing the militants' game allows them to live in a world where it's arabs-versus-jews, kill-or-be-killed. They're as eager for a grotesque race-war as the militants, it's just that they think they can win, and wind up solving all their problems with genocide by self-defense.

Every time crap like this happens, the most dangerous men in Israel and the Arab world are essentially shaking hands and cordially agreeing to shoot up the place until their more sensible neighbors are forced to fight each other, and keep shooting up the place so bad that it becomes a fight to the death.

I have no sympathy with the government of Israel peddling the line that it's defending itself, any more than I do with the Hezbollah militants that gave them this stirling opportunity. They're cooperating towards an inhuman end, and in a just world they would be lined up and shot.

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 19:38: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
quote:
Would it kill them to initiate military action in self-defense only when they're actually defending themselves? All this looks like to me is revenge, one in a long chain of reprisals between two opposing sides.
I'll play devil's advocate here: Suppose Hezbollah continued to kidnap/execute soldiers with some regularity. At what point do you draw the line between an actual attack requiring response versus an isolated skirmish? In other words, what is the appropriate response to make them stop?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #27
I said five yerars ago that Israel would be confronted by Iran, China, And Russia, Plus Gearga and syria.

And no one believed me! Why? Well I'll tell you why. Apperently a person has to have an I.Q. of 200 to be listened to and all I hade was 180 oh boo hoo. Well, what I said was true and no one cares. How about that? I'm so irritated.

Actually they might not have believed me because I said I got it from the Bible. I can't remember. Its actually in Ezekial. And a few other places. Oh well.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #28
I just echo the sentiments expressed by Wonko at the beginning of the thread... all of this over two kidnappings when suicide bombings seem like regular occurrences. Particularly when they choose to knock out power and water to half a million Palestinians...

It's just insane. And I can't help but feel some sympathy for the Lebanese government... they don't stand a chance, and there's nothing they can do about it but pray that another major power intervenes, when every major power is scared stiff at the mere thought of getting involved.

EDIT: GremlinJoe, calm down. And where is Gearga?

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 20:40: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
I dare say that an appropriate response to any provocation is one that does not follow the underlying concept that the responding side's people are worth more than the provoking side's.

Disproportionate warfare, in which cities are leveled to prove a point, and civilians are murdered at a 10:1 ratio in retaliation, was meant to be a thing of the past.

Slippery slope and preemptive arguments are worthless. I cannot beat up someone I meet on a train because he looked at me in a funny way and might be planning to mug me later. Likewise, killing many times as many people as are even potentially victims of the provocation is neither a defendable action nor effective in preventing further kidnappings.

This kind of thinking, without regard for the life of civilians, is what instils the hatred that spawns terrorism. You didn't think these people kidnapped and blew themselves up because they hate freedom or Judaism, did you?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #30
A better response would be to execute those responsible for ordering the actions that caused the Israeli response. However most of them are in hiding and out of reach in Iran, Syria, and Lebanon. If enough terroriest leaders were punished for starting this war their replacements would consider peace.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
You're not going to get at said terrorist leaders without harming civilians however. And if you think that is still a justifiable reaction, then that is exactly the kind of thinking I was talking about above.

There's a time for belligerence, threats and retaliation. It is in the sandbox, among five year old bullies. It is not in international politics.

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 21:14: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #32
"Not responding to provocations" sounds very good, unless these "provocations" are directed against you.

Let's take the example of Gaza. From the time shortly after Israel pulled out of Gaza, the towns in southern Israel had been periodically hit by Palestinian mortars. So how long was Israel supposed to ignore "provocations" of mortars falling on their towns? (Israel's patience lasted almost a year.) How long would Germany, USA, or Britain ignore "provocations" if somebody started periodically shelling German towns?

PS About Hezbolla rockets, considering that there were 98 Israeli civillians wounded and 2 dead as of Thursday evening, the ratio of civilian casualties is far closer to 2:1 than 10:1. (I am not counting casualties among Israeli soldiers and members of the Hezbolla.) However, unless you think that a certain number of dead Israelis is required to make the situation fair, I don't think the numbers are even relevant.

PPS I know that things aren't as black-and-white as I say, but there are plenty of people here arguing anti-Israel side and few people defending Israel. And, to be honest, I can't think of anything better for Israel to do. As somebody said in this thread, if Israel simply ignores the "provocations" they will continue until they start causing significant damage and/or the government of Israel is replaced by somebody who would respond.

quote:
...I just echo the sentiments expressed by Wonko at the beginning of the thread... all of this over two kidnappings when suicide bombings seem like regular occurrences.
I suspect this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. (After months of mortar attacks from Gaza, the number of people who wanted Israeli government to "do something" probably reached a critical level.) Although, I could see how the operation started to free the hostages and grew and grew, because it's pretty hard to find 2 hostages in a whole country.

EDIT: Clarified to fix the meaning.

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 21:30: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by GremlinJoe:

I said five yerars ago that Israel would be confronted by Iran, China, And Russia, Plus Gearga and syria.
Georgia.

For the record, China and Russia have fairly cold diplomatic relations, and so do China and Iran. Georgia is a non-entity and Syria has been officially at war for decades.

quote:
And no one believed me! Why? Well I'll tell you why. Apperently a person has to have an I.Q. of 200 to be listened to and all I hade was 180 oh boo hoo. Well, what I said was true and no one cares. How about that? I'm so irritated.
Somehow I doubt this is why nobody believes you. (Also, IQ is meaningless, but that's a different topic altogether.)

quote:
Actually they might not have believed me because I said I got it from the Bible. I can't remember. Its actually in Ezekial. And a few other places. Oh well.
Yes, this is exactly why they didn't believe you: because you honestly believe the writings of a man who has been dead for millennia critiquing the evils of his own society - not even laying claim to prophecy! - somehow project specific events in the future.

No, your account doesn't come from the Bible. None of the countries you mentioned existed in the time Ezekiel lived, even as concepts, nor are they mentioned anywhere even in the most vague way. Instead, it comes from the self-obsessed apocalypse-interpretation mill, a constant effort of evangelical Christianity's least productive theologians to prove that they inhabit the End Times and will be whisked to Heaven by Jesus before they die.

And again, for the record: Russia and Israel are on good terms, Syria and Israel are no more hostile than they were last year, China and Israel get along just fine, and Iran and Israel get along surprisingly well for a pair of nuclear states that hate each other to death. Unless you have a really permissive definition of 'confront', what you've got is a false prophecy there, bub.

(Also, you apparently failed to prophesy that, you know, Israel and Lebanon would go to war. A little glaring, that.)

--

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

How long would Germany ignore "provocations"
Ask the right person and they'll say "until 1935".

But, of course, the fact that the philosophy of revenge leaves one with odd bedfellows should be news to nobody.

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 21:27: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #34
"I'll play devil's advocate here: Suppose Hezbollah continued to kidnap/execute soldiers with some regularity. At what point do you draw the line between an actual attack requiring response versus an isolated skirmish? In other words, what is the appropriate response to make them stop?"
Certainly not the course of action currently being taken. When the response Israel takes essentially verifies opponents in their belief that it is cruel and inhuman, then they become vindicated. It's essentially the same as sending the Black & Tans to kill the IRA-- it's entirely unneeded, and can only serve to extend the conflict. In fact, the more I think about it, the more the Hezbollah/IRA analogy seems appropriate-- except that if this were Ireland in question, Israel's response would be the equivalent of bombing Dublin. In other words, absolutely absurd and completely unnecessary.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

quote:

Georgia.

For the record, China and Russia have fairly cold diplomatic relations, and so do China and Iran. Georgia is a non-entity and Syria has been officially at war for decades.

How do you know the evil Georgians aren't plotting to resurrect the Babylonian Empire, with its capital at Mount Ararat? :)

quote:
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

How long would Germany ignore "provocations"
Ask the right person and they'll say "until 1935".

But, of course, the fact that the philosophy of revenge leaves one with odd bedfellows should be news to nobody.[/QB]
Cute.

However, your argument simply proves my point: considering that German response to a percieved provocation was murder of 6 million people, and America's responce to a "provocation" of 9/11 was "regime change" in two countries, including one that had nothing to do with the attack, Israeli responce of bombing a couple of bridges and offices of people who ordered the "provocations" looks like an example of perfect restraint. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by 1984:

Ah, the Israelis. They just keep on fighting, no matter who or what their enemy.
Its these things which irritate me to such an extent that I'm prepared to beat the one up who said it, and that's probably because me mother is from israel. In my opinion, these sort of comments are made purely and only because the Israelis seem to be so strong. Please people, and I ask this only favour of you, think of the history of the Jews. Once THEY were slaughtered and killed, that the total population of Jews got decreased dramatically. They know how it is to be wiped out! It doesn't seem to matter to people that dozens of people are being killed by suicide attacks in israel (but people do care about the same attacks in Iraq!), but a missile attack at which a house got burned is something outrages. in any case, that's the view I get from hearing what people say and watching the news. Tell me if I'm wrong (you will, I just know it).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
So if someone murders 10 people, does that make it okay for someone else to murder one?

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 21:50: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
No, of course not. What I was trying to say is that the Israelis are no cold-blooded murders as everybody (or most of the people) seem to think.

Ugh. I'm getting sick of this thread, and I've only read one page of it. I'm very short tempered when it gets to discussions about Israel. That's mainly because the general opinion about the country is extremely bad, and trying to convince people of the opposite is so frutratingly hard.

Lets look at the real problem for once, shall we? I mean, until know, what I've read in this thread is this: "The Israeli people..." "... The Israeli people..." "....The Israeli people." Hey! Aren't we forgetting something here? WHO is the one saying that we should attack this or that village? the GOVERNMENT, not the civilian! Could we talk about the Israeli governemnt for once, and not the people (= government + civilians)? The civilians, as I know them, or one of the people which I like most. Even the Dutch are in my opinion worse, which is my bloody own nationality.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #39
If the situation were in the hands of PM Olmert's detractors, Israel would sit back and whine to the rest of the world while allowing avowed racists and terrorists to destroy its people, its buildings and its morale one shell at a time. That is if it hadn't already been destroyed in the mid-20th century, which would be entirely likely. Call it what you want, but to defend Hezbollah, Ahmedinejad, Hamas or any of their ilk is to say that the Nazis weren't so bad after all, just they were too... well, legitimate. We're talking about people who have publicly stated their intention to finish the job Hitler started, and I hate Nazi analogies as much as the rest of you.

I'm in agreement with Alorael about Israel's actions. About those of Hezbollah... the thought that anyone could justify their actions makes me sick. No, Lebanon's civilians shouldn't be killed for the actions of a terrorist organization within their ranks. But what can you do when confronted by such people?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #40
Oh for crying out loud, Israel is perfectly correct in its course of action. The only mistake they've made was to let the world boss them around in the first place. What I mean to say is, I'm angry that everyone is always telling them how they're wrong when they aren't. How long were they pressured by the international community into making peace with terrorists?

To many years have been spent giving in to to Israel's enemies. You know what I say, one big war to get rid of all those troublemakers is the only reasonable course of action. And it boggles the mind that anyone would say Israel is the bad guy in all this. I'll bet that if Israel had attacked Iraq and deposed of Saddam the world would be twice as outraged as it is about America doing so even though they'd have even better reason.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
one big war to get rid of all those troublemakers is the only reasonable course of action.
Well said. Let's have a final solution to the terrorist problem.

:rolleyes:

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #42
Well you know what i think - First of all i think every war is stupid, which isn't strange, as it's started and guided by idiots (most times on both sides).
Second, in any war, no civillian casualties should be tolerable, of course they are sometimes necessary, but all should be made to avoid them (WHICH ISRAEL CERTANLY IS DOING EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE - LIKE WHEN PALESTINIAN CHILDREN ATTACK THE TANKS WITH MERE ROCKS AND THAT TANK SLAUGHTERS THEM ALL WITH IT'S CANNON ...) - of course i also don't agree with in this case hezbolah attacking the civillians - but at least their attacks on civillian targets were made as a response to israeli ones - which is not forgivable in any way, just an (EVIL) logical response.
So now, as i see it, noone is innocent, although i believe that Israel should stop its hostile preaching and actions towards neighbouring countries - at least that is the picture i get from the news - which could be very different in other countries - especially libanon, israel and usa.

NEXT! i don't know the exact history of this certain conflict, but i know this and i must say something to the one (i forget who) who mentioned palestinian "terrorist groups" ...
In palestinian case, they ARE freedom fighters - coz there, israel IS oppressor (it should withdraw ages ago but it didn't)!!!

EDIT: To gremlinjoe: Hey, why not start a world war to get rid of all the people

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 23:09: Message edited by: Anarhiztok ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #43
quote:

You know what I say, one big war to get rid of all those troublemakers is the only reasonable course of action.
What a stupid idea. History has proven that war is not "the only reasonable course of action."

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Apprentice
Member # 6454
Profile #44
The point is that we will never have the peace in the area if israel doesn' t stop to illegally occupaying the 62% of palestinian territory.
War is something orrible, in every war civilians die, and we will see orrible act from both side. But we have to remember always who is occupying and who is occupied.

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 23:27: Message edited by: ubik ]

--------------------
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949
Apprentice
Member # 6454
Profile #45
Who start with terrorisms in middle east?
quote:
Letters to the New York Times, December 4, 1948

New Palestine Party Visit of Menachem Begin and Aims of Political Movement Discussed

TO THE EDITORS OF THE NEW YORK TIMES

Among the most disturbing political phenomena of our times is the emergence in the newly created state of Israel of the "Freedom Party" (Tnuat Haberut), a political party closely akin inits organization, methods, political philosophy and social appeal to the Nazi and Fascist parties. It was formed out of the membership and following of the former Irgun Zvai Leumi, a terrorist, rightwing, chauvinist organizaiton in Palestine.

The current visit of Menachem Begin, leader of this party, to the United States is obviously calculated to give the ìmpression of American support for his party in the coming Israeli elections, and to cement political ties with conservative Zionist elements in the United States. Several Americans of national repute have lent their names to welcorne his. visit. It is inconceìvable that those who oppose fascism throughout: the world, if correcly informed as to Mr. Begin's political record and perspectives, could add their names and support to the movement he represents.

Before irreparable damage is done by way of financial contibutions, public manifesfations in Begin's behalf and the creation in Palestine of the impression that a large segment of America supports Fascist elements in Israel, the
American public must be informed as to the record and objectives of Mr. Begin and his movement.

The public avowals of Begin's party are no guide whatever to its actual character. Today they speak of freedom, democracy and anti-imperialism, whereas until recently they opcnly preached the doctrine of the Fascist state. It is in its actions that the terrorist party betrays its real character; from its past actions we can judge what it may be expected to do in the future.

ATTACK ON ARAB VILLAGE

A shocking example was their behavior in the Arab village of Deir Yassin. This village, off the main roads and surrounded by Jewish lands, had taken no part in the war, and had even fought off Arab bands who wanted to use the village as their base. On April 9 (THE NEW YORK TIMES), terrorist bands attacked this peacefal village, which was not a military objective in the fighting, killed most of its inhabitants — 240 men, wornen, and children —- and kept a few of them alive to parade as captives tbrough the streets of Jerusalem. Most of the Jewish community was horrified at the deed, and the Jewish Agency sent a telegram of apology to King Abdullah of Trans-Jordan. But the terrorists, far from being ashamed of their act, were proud of this massacre, publicized it wideiy, and invited all the foreign correspondents present in the country to view the heaped corpses and the generai havoc at Deir Yassin.

The Deir Yassim incident exemplifies the character and actions of the Freedom Party.

Within the Jewìsh community they have preached an admixture of ultranationalism, religious mysticism, and raciaì superionty. Like other Fascist parties they have been used to break strikes, and have themselves pressed for the destuction of free trade unions. In their stead they have proposed corporate unions on the Italian. Fascist model. During the last years of sporadic anti-British violence, the IZL and Stern groups inaugurated a reign of terror in the Palestine Jewìsh community. Teachers were beaten up for speaking against them, adults were shot for not letting their children join them. By gangster methods, beatings, window-smashing, and wide spread robberies, the terrorists intimidated the population and exacted a heavy tribute. The people of the Freedom Party have had no part in the constructive achievements in Palestine. They have reclaimed no land, built no settlements, and only detractced from the Jewìsh defense activity. Their much-publicized immigration endeavors were minute, and devoted mainly to bringing in Fascist compatriots.

DISCREPANCIES SEEN

The discrepancies between the bold claims now being made by Begin and his party, and their record of past perfomance in Palestine bear the imprint of no ordinary political party. This is the unmistakable stamp of a Fascist party for whom terrorism (against Jews, Arabs, and British alike), and misrepresentation are means, and a "Leader State" in the goal.

In te light of the foregoing considerations, it is imperative that the truth about Mr. Begin and his movement be made known this country. It is all the more tragic that the top leadership of American Zionism has refused to campaign
against Begin's efforts, or even to expose to its own constituents the dangers to Israel from support to Begin. The undersigned therefore take this means of publiclv presenting a few salient facts concerning Begin and his party; and of
urging all concerned not to support this latest manifestation of fascism.

(signed)

ISIDORE ABRAMOWITZ, HANNAH ARENDT, ABRAHAM BRICK, RABBI JESSURUN CARDOZO,ALBERT EINSTEIN , HERMAN EISEN, M.D., HAYIM FINEMAN, M. GALLEN, M.D., H.H. HARRIS, ZELIG S. HARRIS, SIDNEY HOOK, FRED KARUSH, BRURIA KAUFMAN, IRMA L. LINDHEIM, NACHMAN MAISEL, SEYMOUR MELMAN, MYER D. MENDELSON, M.D., HARRY M. OSLINSKY, SAMUEL PITLICK, FRITZ ROHRLICH, LOUIS P. ROKER, RUTH SAGIS, ITZHAK SANKOWSKY, I.J. SHOENBERG, SAMUEL SHUMAN, M. SINGER, IRMA WOLFE, STEFAN WOLFE.

New York December 2, 1948.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

[ Thursday, July 13, 2006 23:37: Message edited by: ubik ]

--------------------
Popular Mechanics, 1949
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #46
Well, that's an interresting post.
I always said the Israelis were following the nazi ideology of making a holocaust aginst the disliked nations ...
Anyway ... according to the info i have the chances for peace there died with Rabin and were finally burried by the murderous Sharon.

The appeal to the people of Israel - it's not too late: WAKE UP!!!!
It's not shameful to realise and confess your own mistakes! It is always the obligation of the one who starts the hostilities and aggressions to end them and try to correct the mistakes - even the oppressed ones will then eventually stop fighting, when they realise that the oppressors are trully no longer spreading evil and trying to redeem themselves!!!

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #47
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

If the situation were in the hands of PM Olmert's detractors, Israel would sit back and whine to the rest of the world while allowing avowed racists and terrorists to destroy its people, its buildings and its morale one shell at a time. That is if it hadn't already been destroyed in the mid-20th century, which would be entirely likely. Call it what you want, but to defend Hezbollah, Ahmedinejad, Hamas or any of their ilk is to say that the Nazis weren't so bad after all, just they were too... well, legitimate. We're talking about people who have publicly stated their intention to finish the job Hitler started, and I hate Nazi analogies as much as the rest of you.

I'm in agreement with Alorael about Israel's actions. About those of Hezbollah... the thought that anyone could justify their actions makes me sick. No, Lebanon's civilians shouldn't be killed for the actions of a terrorist organization within their ranks. But what can you do when confronted by such people?

I direct you to my post at the top of the page. Olmert isn't taking a tough stance against terrorism; he's basically giving the terrorists what they want on a silver platter. They want Israel to swoop in and kill hundreds of civilians. They want nothing more and could no more efficiently achieve their ultimate objective: alienating Israel and destroying it by attrition.

The reason they get away with that is that you and people like you are too short-sighted to realize their actual objectives, and the like of Likud actually want to see them carried out.

quote:

Oh for crying out loud, Israel is perfectly correct in its course of action. The only mistake they've made was to let the world boss them around in the first place. What I mean to say is, I'm angry that everyone is always telling them how they're wrong when they aren't. How long were they pressured by the international community into making peace with terrorists?

To many years have been spent giving in to to Israel's enemies. You know what I say, one big war to get rid of all those troublemakers is the only reasonable course of action. And it boggles the mind that anyone would say Israel is the bad guy in all this. I'll bet that if Israel had attacked Iraq and deposed of Saddam the world would be twice as outraged as it is about America doing so even though they'd have even better reason.

Do you even know what a terrorist is? Has someone lead you to believe it's a genetic trait? You're a child, and a dumb one.

quote:
Cute.

However, your argument simply proves my point: considering that German response to a percieved provocation was murder of 6 million people, and America's responce to a "provocation" of 9/11 was "regime change" in two countries, including one that had nothing to do with the attack, Israeli responce of bombing a couple of bridges and offices of people who ordered the "provocations" looks like an example of perfect restraint. :)

Germany believed it was saving the world. Compared to that, surely 6 million people is small potatoes. :P

I'm simply arguing that 'provocation' and any other revenge-based foreign policy is inherently stupid and destructive. In this case, the world is watching Israel attack Lebanon - and BTW, as it holds the entire government responsible for the Hezbollah radicals, it's made no restrictions whatsoever on use of force in Lebanon - for the actions of a few radicals.

Oh, it's fine revenge. It's a fine response to a provocation. But it's a stupid, evil thing to do. The soldiers they started this mess will almost certainly die in captivity, and no matter what else they do the hundreds of innocents they kill in the process will lead to more and more direct hatred of Israel in Lebanon and the Arab world at large.

Hezbollah knows Israel "won't negotiate with terrorists". It's getting exactly what it wants. So's the Israeli right, allowed to reach inconcievable levels of racist savagery by foreign sympathizers. (Read any statement made by Likud or, better, hard-right parties in Israel - and consider the people in question transposed to, say, whites and blacks. That kind of nonsense got South Africa made into an international pariah, and yet millions of well-meaning and fairly liberal well-wishers consider it perfectly fine if done in the name of Israel.) They achieve their objectives at the direct cost of Israeli and Lebanese lives.

What I'm saying here is that this is yet another instance of the Israeli government dragging Israel over a cliff to chase after another keffiyeh-wearing snipe. It will end horribly, and egging the government on is the worst thing you could possibly do.

Restraint is necessary. The attacks will never end - but they will at least be far, far less frequent if a generation of Arabs has grown up without having cowered under Israeli fighter-bombers ranging for revenge.

It's truly hard to hate a brick wall - and you try getting someone to blow himself up without hate being involved sometime.

[ Friday, July 14, 2006 00:05: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Apprentice
Member # 6454
Profile #48
quote:
Who started?

By Gideon Levy

"We left Gaza and they are firing Qassams" - there is no more precise a formulation of the prevailing view about the current round of the conflict. "They started," will be the routine response to anyone who tries to argue, for example, that a few hours before the first Qassam fell on the school in Ashkelon, causing no damage, Israel sowed destruction at the Islamic University in Gaza.

Israel is causing electricity blackouts, laying sieges, bombing and shelling, assassinating and imprisoning, killing and wounding civilians, including children and babies, in horrifying numbers, but "they started."

They are also "breaking the rules" laid down by Israel: We are allowed to bomb anything we want and they are not allowed to launch Qassams. When they fire a Qassam at Ashkelon, that's an "escalation of the conflict," and when we bomb a university and a school, it's perfectly alright. Why? Because they started. That's why the majority thinks that all the justice is on our side. Like in a schoolyard fight, the argument about who started is Israel's winning moral argument to justify every injustice.

So, who really did start? And have we "left Gaza?"

Israel left Gaza only partially, and in a distorted manner. The disengagement plan, which was labeled with fancy titles like "partition" and "an end to the occupation," did result in the dismantling of settlements and the Israel Defense Forces' departure from Gaza, but it did almost nothing to change the living conditions for the residents of the Strip. Gaza is still a prison and its inhabitants are still doomed to live in poverty and oppression. Israel closes them off from the sea, the air and land, except for a limited safety valve at the Rafah crossing. They cannot visit their relatives in the West Bank or look for work in Israel, upon which the Gazan economy has been dependent for some 40 years. Sometimes goods can be transported, sometimes not. Gaza has no chance of escaping its poverty under these conditions. Nobody will invest in it, nobody can develop it, nobody can feel free in it. Israel left the cage, threw away the keys and left the residents to their bitter fate. Now, less than a year after the disengagement, it is going back, with violence and force.

What could otherwise have been expected? That Israel would unilaterally withdraw, brutally and outrageously ignoring the Palestinians and their needs, and that they would silently bear their bitter fate and would not continue to fight for their liberty, livelihood and dignity? We promised a safe passage to the West Bank and didn't keep the promise. We promised to free prisoners and didn't keep the promise. We supported democratic elections and then boycotted the legally elected leadership, confiscating funds that belong to it, and declaring war on it. We could have withdrawn from Gaza through negotiations and coordination, while strengthening the existing Palestinian leadership, but we refused to do so. And now, we complain about "a lack of leadership?" We did everything we could to undermine their society and leadership, making sure as much as possible that the disengagement would not be a new chapter in our relationship with the neighboring nation, and now we are amazed by the violence and hatred that we sowed with our own hands.

What would have happened if the Palestinians had not fired Qassams? Would Israel have lifted the economic siege that it imposed on Gaza? Would it open the border to Palestinian laborers? Free prisoners? Meet with the elected leadership and conduct negotiations? Encourage investment in Gaza? Nonsense. If the Gazans were sitting quietly, as Israel expects them to do, their case would disappear from the agenda - here and around the world. Israel would continue with the convergence, which is solely meant to serve its goals, ignoring their needs. Nobody would have given any thought to the fate of the people of Gaza if they did not behave violently. That is a very bitter truth, but the first 20 years of the occupation passed quietly and we did not lift a finger to end it.

Instead, under cover of the quiet, we built the enormous, criminal settlement enterprise. With our own hands, we are now once again pushing the Palestinians into using the petty arms they have; and in response, we employ nearly the entire enormous arsenal at our disposal, and continue to complain that "they started."

We started. We started with the occupation, and we are duty-bound to end it, a real and complete ending. We started with the violence. There is no violence worse than the violence of the occupier, using force on an entire nation, so the question about who fired first is therefore an evasion meant to distort the picture. After Oslo, too, there were those who claimed that "we left the territories," in a similar mixture of blindness and lies.

Gaza is in serious trouble, ruled by death, horror and daily difficulties, far from the eyes and hearts of Israelis. We are only shown the Qassams. We only see the Qassams. The West Bank is still under the boot of occupation, the settlements are flourishing, and every limply extended hand for an agreement, including that of Ismail Haniyeh, is immediately rejected. And after all this, if someone still has second thoughts, the winning answer is promptly delivered: "They started." They started and justice is on our side, while the fact is that they did not start and justice is not with us.

--------------------
Popular Mechanics, 1949
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

Is all of this from the same person that couldn't spell "Georgia" yesterday? Actually, scratch that, from the same person that couldn't spell at all?

Fake accounts are so sad, people.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.

Pages