Favorite Television Shows

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Favorite Television Shows
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
How about your favorite television show for each decade? Since some shows are in more than one decade use the show's first episode date from the original airing. Also since almost all of you are too young you can use syndicated reruns from each decade.

My favorites are:

60s - Get Smart - Would you believe the others missed it by that much? That it's Mel Brooks' most sucessful tv series. How about as the Chief said, "It doesn't matter how good you are. All that matters is the ratings."

70s - The Rockford Files - I'll get back to you. Almost as good as Maverick for the cons.

80s - The Greatest American Hero - It shows how far you can get without reading the instruction manual. Great superhero parody that survived Warner Bros. lawsuit about the red suit ripping off Superman.

90s - Seinfeld - A great show about nothing. How to suceed with being a slacker.

00s - The Lone Gunmen - George W. missed the pilot where they almost hit the World Trade Center with a passenger jet. If it had lasted longer the plots could have used what he's doing now for their conspiracies.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Seinfeld.

The Venture Bros.

Win Ben Stein's Money.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
Seinfeld. Family Guy.

EDIT: Thats the second time today that Demonslayer has beaten me to the first post in a topic. Conspiracy!

[ Thursday, June 29, 2006 18:17: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #3
Scrubs and various cartoons. Seinfeld was good, but it's going to be on most peoples top list.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
Star Trek and all its spinoffsBabylon 5Battlestar Gallactica (old and new)FireflyStargate (both SG1 and Atlantis)AndromedaBoston LegalHouseCommander-in-ChiefJAGNCISCSI Las VegasThat 70's ShowM*A*S*HSeinfeldMalcolm in the MiddleFamily GuyThe SimpsonsFuturamaMind of MenciaJeopardy

[ Thursday, June 29, 2006 19:07: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #5
Mystery Science Theater 3000.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
My Name is Earl.

The Deadliest Catch

Freaks and Geeks.

Hill Street Blues

Taxi...

Happy Days

Laugh-In (Rowan and Martin)

Bonanza

Ed Sullivan Show

(Certainly not exclusive, although recently there has been more interesting things than television shows. Somewhat chronological, favorite is italicized.)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #7
quote:
60s - Get Smart - Would you believe the others missed it by that much? That it's Mel Brooks' most sucessful tv series. How about as the Chief said, "It doesn't matter how good you are. All that matters is the ratings."

70s - The Rockford Files - I'll get back to you. Almost as good as Maverick for the cons.

80s - The Greatest American Hero - It shows how far you can get without reading the instruction manual. Great superhero parody that survived Warner Bros. lawsuit about the red suit ripping off Superman.

90s - Seinfeld - A great show about nothing. How to suceed with being a slacker.

00s - The Lone Gunmen
Good choices all. Although in the present decade I'd put The Sopranos and I used to watch a lot of Charlie's Angels (fluff and eye candy I know, but you said favorites not compelling/must see TV).

Favorite cartoon of all time? World's Greatest Superhero (and Villian)

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #8
80's and 90's
Married with Children (best sitcom ever)
Unsolved Mysteries

2000's
Eh.. I don't really watch much TV anymore

--------------------
Lancer
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #9
Get Smart is also one of my very favorite shows of all time, but in the intense competition of the sixties I believe it is beat out slightly by The Twilight Zone, which is in my opinion the best television program of all time.

Other fine shows from the sixties include Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Night Gallery (Rod Serling's next program following The Twilight Zone).

I'm a tad bit harder-pressed to find great shows from the seventies; my favorite is probably Barney Miller. In terms of mindless fun, however, I must mention Fantasy Island and Charlie's Angels.

I generally despise the eighties in all respects (especially the music), but there's at least one guilty pleasure from the decade that I enjoy (Star Trek: TNG). Probably others, but they're likely well-repressed by this time.

What did I watch in the nineties? Mostly stuff like Batman: The Animated Series and Goosebumps (the TV show). However, I'd say the best show from the nineties was Poirot, as I'm quite the mystery fan.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 08:21: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #10
IMAGE(http://www.absoluteanime.com/fullmetal_alchemist/scar.jpg)
IMAGE(http://www.animetion.co.uk/Towns/shiina.jpg)
IMAGE(http://www.lisarein.com/daily/02-09-04-daily-shrub-3.jpg)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #11
TNG rocks.
Simpsons used to rock, until they started to suck sometime in the late '90's. Still watch it sometimes.
Um... don't know many shows past that.

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #12
I watched Babylon 5 and had watched Star Trek until I realised that all Star Trek episodes fit one of a few templates and I can tell how it's going to end 5 minutes into the show. Babylon 5 was much better because it had a continuous storyline with each episode working to advance the main plot.

However, I haven't watched TV in a long time, because now I have a computer for the time I want to waste in front of a screen.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
hmmm, difficult to pick just one from each decade, but here goes...

1960s - Doctor Who
1970s - Columbo[*]
1980s - Yes, Minister
1990s - Frasier
2000s - CSI: Miami

[*] Going by the start of the regular series rather than the first appearance.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 13:08: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #14
1960's: Gilligan's Island*
1970's: Are You Being Served?*
1980's: The Two Ronnies*, The Simpsons***
1990's: Home Improvement**
2000's: Thank God You're Here

NOTE: * = Wasn't born yet. My mother purchased DVD's for me.
** = Didn't know about it until the 2000's.
*** = Didn't know about it until the 1990's, wasn't born yet.

[ Friday, June 30, 2006 14:57: Message edited by: AussieAvernum-Ihrno ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
My favorite shows of the 90s include TNG and Father Ted.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by ezAndy:

TNG rocks.
Simpsons used to rock, until they started to suck sometime in the late '90's. Still watch it sometimes.
Um... don't know many shows past that.

Welcome back!

As for my favorite TV shows ... I'll just go with my favorite current shows. 24, Lost, the Office, Scrubs and the Colbert Report.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #17
Thanks Drakey. I saw Spidweb in the bookmarks and decided to drop by. Though I’m sure RL will soon take my attention away from here. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #18
Right now I just remember a few of them, let's see:
-South Park
-The Simpsons
-Futurama
-Malcolm
-Shin shan(i doubt you know it, but who knows?)
-Invader Zim
That at the moment, they are almost all cartoons but well, cartoons are the most lasting shows so why to put other shows that maybe you don't even know?
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #19
God, I was such a nerd for TV shows. And I feel offended that no one put down Dragon Ball or the XMen, shame on you people, shame

Here are the ones I can remember:

Saint Seiya
Dragon Ball
XMen
Candy Candy :P
The Simpsons
Futurama
Sailor moon
South Park
Power Rangers
(I liked the first season, I was 9; I didn’t know better, ohhh just hush)
Seinfeld
That 70's Show
Just shoot me
CSI
(I can’t remember which one, probably the original one)
Married with Children
Friends
Charmed
(oh whatever)
Everybody loves Raymond
Third rock from the sun

And there are plenty more, but I can’t remember them. And oh yeah, since last Monday Kyle XY, Matt Dallas is delicious

Btw, in case you guys hadn't notice I'm incredible hyper today so I apologize for all of my posts in advance.

Edit: I forgot The Fairly OddParents

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 07:09: Message edited by: Leena ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #20
To settle the question posed right now the greatest TV show of all time is... The Simpsons
Now close runners-up include: The Colbert Report, Family Guy, Futurama, and M*A*S*H.
Oh, by the way I have returned from my month long exile. Maybe it was more than a month. Oh well. I'm Back.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #21
Star Trek, most series.
Dr. Who. even the reruns. especially Tom Baker before the voyage to N-space.
Max Headroom.
Pinky and the Brain.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has come to the conclusion that the corn will have to go. All of it.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
I used to watch a lot of the various Scooby-Doo shows when I was younger. Then I went through a phase where I watched a lot of the original CSI. So I suppose they're my favorites.

But Dikiyoba really doesn't watch a lot of TV.