The Big Club Theory

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Big Club Theory
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #0
I was speaking with some friends the other day on the origins of Language, culture and tradition. When the most interesting theory was brought up, for lack of a better title I'm calling it the "Big Club Theory." I just thought this would make an excelet topic for the people in these forums to put their our twist on. So here it is.
Now lets think about the first group of humans where ever they were. They have a basic language but are still having truble developing a language because they all named objects differently. Thus the name of an object would be whatever the person with the bigest club called it. For Exsample

Caveman 1: Look at this club I found
Caveman 2: That's not a "club" it is called a "Branch."
Caveman 1: Club.
Caveman 2: Branch
Caveman 1: Club!
Caveman 2: Branch!
[Whack!]
Caveman 1: Club.
Caveman 2: Yeah, club.

A simmilar senario could also have occured for tradition and culture. Thoughts on this break through theory.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Your theory has a really small club.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #2
So the strongest pick the words? That was thought of a long time ago.
quote:
Thoughts on this break through theory.
This makes me want to laugh. I could even prove it isn't a theory (at least according to all my science books) much less a "breakthrough".
EDIT:This was not intended to hurt your feelings in anyway.

[ Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:17: Message edited by: Major ]

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #3
God gave Adam the responsibility for naming animals. He just carried this language idea too far. Then, the Tower of Babel came along and really screwed things up. Now, we have the internet and instant translators to fix things up.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
My hypothesis of cultural division:

1: I have decided to apply new nomenclature to this separated section of a tree. Because of its martial applications, it shall henceforth be known as a club.

2: Why, my dear fellow, that is preposterous. As this is but a moderately sized section of the main trunk of a tree, it is obviously more appropriate to refer to it as a branch.

1: It is a club and I will not hear otherwise.

2: Don't be silly. It is a branch.

1: It is a club, and I will demonstrate to you its proper use as well as usage if you persist in your arrant misunderstanding of the language that we are currently formulating.

2: On the contrary, sir! I shall myself engage in neologism by coining the first "pun." To wit, I believe we and our like-minded associates should branch into two separate societies, as the deep rift between our mindsets is obviously impossible to reconcile.

1: Without recourse to clubs, you mean.

2: Well, yes.

—Alorael, who thinks the real wonder of Babel isn't language but the fact that a large group of people could be induced to cooperate on a massive project.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
Nice, Thracymachus. That's why we have society now.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #6
[A small hard to read comic strip.]
Sorry it's so hard to read. Maybe you need eyeglasses?

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 08:31: Message edited by: Major ]

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Major:

IMAGE(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/Silentinspace/AF.jpg)

tsdr
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Major:

quote:
Dikiyoba already has eyeglasses and still can't read it. Make it bigger. :P
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #9
You need bigger glasses. But, at your request I'll try to make it bigger. IMAGE(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/Silentinspace/AF1.jpg)
IMAGE(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/Silentinspace/AF2.jpg)
I had some prblems with the actual image, so it still may be hard to see.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #10
Whenever I read Alo's post I can't help but think of the cave men in those Geico comercials. Maybe they were playing the piano while this went on?

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
What the hell? Did Alex just get competition? :eek:

And good competition too...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Henry Anthony Wilcox:

Nah. No offense, but Alex is still the undisputed comic drawer guy.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
Good competition?

No offense, but no.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #14
quote:
What the hell? Did Alex just get competition? [Eek!]

Competition? no, and it's really not as good as his.
quote:
Nah. No offense, but Alex is still the undisputed comic drawer guy.
Yes, he's still the undisputed comic drawer guy. Since mine aren't that good.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Henry Anthony Wilcox:

I'll put it this way: Alex's drawings are probably the only things that always manage to make me laugh on these boards. This drawing didn't get me farther than... well... nothing at all. No offence.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #16
They aren't desighned to make you lough, they were desighned to get a point across. Such as this. IMAGE(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/Silentinspace/AD.jpg)

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7021
Profile #17
quote:
So the strongest pick the words? That was thought of a long time ago.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on this break through theory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This makes me want to laugh. I could even prove it isn't a theory (at least according to all my science books) much less a "breakthrough".
EDIT:This was not intended to hurt your feelings in anyway.

No Offence Taken this idea was dreamed up by a friend of mine. I figured you people could put a spin on it but so far with the exception of Mung until not Mungible I've been disapointed. Come on you people should be able to distort a distorted natural selection theory.

--------------------
"My Mazaradi goes 185
They Took my License
Now I don’t drive
But I got me a limo
And I sit in the back
Lock all the doors
In case I’m attacked.”
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #18
Alex's convey more insanity, so they clearly win.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #19
quote:
No Offence Taken this idea was dreamed up by a friend of mine. I figured you people could put a spin on it but so far with the exception of Mung until not Mungible I've been disapointed. Come on you people should be able to distort a distorted natural selection theory.

I'm sorry for distracting this thread. But, I believe in creationism so you friend's "theory" (which is really a hypothises) doesn't change my "theory".
quote:
Alex's convey more insanity, so they clearly win.
Yes, I know I'm still clingging to some of my sanityyyyy... zzzZZZ...

-------------------------
"He went to sleep saying something about being crazy, so I posted this for him."- The person behind him.

[ Wednesday, May 17, 2006 08:43: Message edited by: Major ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #20
You scamps are just lucky you're too young to remember the Bending Ray.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Major:

quote:

I'm sorry for distracting this thread. But, I believe in creationism so you friend's "theory" (which is really a hypothises) doesn't change my "theory".
So you're rejecting the theory/"hypothises"/whatever simply because it contradicts your religious beliefs? Wow. What if I were to rephrase the offending statement as, "Come on you people should be able to distort a distorted theory wherein the stronger force the weaker to use their language."? There's absolutely no religion in there, and that's probably what the writer would have written had it not been simpler to liken the "theory" to that of Natural Selection.

That is, of course, unless you believe in a religion which has a Creation story and which contradicts the theory of Natural Selection and also believe that the strong cannot influence the weak.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #22
quote:
So you're rejecting the theory/"hypothises"/whatever simply because it contradicts your religious beliefs? Wow.
Yes, what better reason could I have? (Yes, I do look at the facts before I judge it. But, it comes down to creationism vs. macro evolution. And I personally think there is more evidence pointing to creationism.)
quote:
What if I were to rephrase the offending statement as, "Come on you people should be able to distort a distorted theory wherein the stronger force the weaker to use their language."? There's absolutely no religion in there
Oh, yes there is it's called "Chance".
quote:
That is, of course, unless you believe in a religion which has a Creation story and which contradicts the theory of Natural Selection and also believe that the strong cannot influence the weak.
Yes, I believe in a creation theory. And yes, it contradicts the weak "theory" of Natural Selection. But yes in that the strong can influence the weak. But, however, there were only two people back when things were made and they were in perfect harmony with the creator so they didn't fight over the names. Of course after the tower of Babel they might have, sorry I didn't think of that.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
You know, the more I look at it, the more I just can't understand denial of evolution. Microevolution has become more or less a given even for creationists, but we've seen macroevolution happen too. The only defense left is that we've only seen evolution from bird to another bird or insect to another insect, not from insect to bird. That's irreducible complexity, which has already been deemed non-science.

—Alorael, who hopes that Big Club Theory will eventually result in the death of creationism/ID due to its status as the less fit hypothesis.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #24
quote:
You know, the more I look at it, the more I just can't understand denial of evolution. Microevolution has become more or less a given even for creationists,
I think micro evolution is a given for practicaly every creationist. (but, I don't see what that has to do with macro evolution)
quote:
but we've seen macroevolution happen too.
I'd like you to show me that.
quote:
The only defense left is that we've only seen evolution from bird to another bird or insect to another insect, not from insect to bird.
Have you ever been taught the basics of genes?
quote:
That's irreducible complexity, which has already been deemed non-science.
No, it hasn't been proven. I'll try to give a example of how they teach you it has been proven: Look at all the different types of dogs do you see how they change? there's the wolf the fox regular dogs and... This is evolution. And science has proven that they can change. Part 2: evolution takes billions of years to change animals such as dogs to cats and other creatures this is evolution.
Since science has proven evolution creationism is wrong.
Alorael, your post cotained the most twisted truths, messed up facts, and showed more signs of somebody being brainwashed than I have ever seen on this forum so far. (Sorry for having to put it so bluntly.)

--------------------

Pages