Which spiderweb software game is best?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which spiderweb software game is best?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #0
This poll is made so that all of spiderwebs games are included not just avernum and geneforge.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=fjJtNcWMuuYc"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=fjJtNcWMuuYc"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I hate you all
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
That is, all of Jeff Vogel's Spiderweb games (distinct from, say, Richard White's Spiderweb games).

I will say immediately that it's rather hard to compare BoE or BoA with any of the others.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
At least Dikiyoba has a clear-cut opinion about this one. It's Avernum 2.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #3
Somehow i think that the poll i have made is useless because now having looked at others A2 is most likely to win.

--------------------
I hate you all
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
A10 fo' sho'.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #5
A10??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

--------------------
I hate you all
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
It was a joke.

[JOKE]Dikiyoba actually likes Avernumforge 5 and 4/3 as well.[/JOKE]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
Nethergate of course. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
A2, again.

Seriously, these threads already exist... why must we repeat them so often?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #9
Reading topics intended to raise the post counts of noobs is always a nice pass-time. BoE is my personal favorite, to stay on topic.

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Seriously, these threads already exist... why must we repeat them so often?
Agree. Anyway, Geneforge 3.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #11
I voted for Geneforge 1. I thought it was quite easy to play, compared to other Spidweb games (not than I can't enjoy a hard game; Homeland was quite hard at times, and I loved it). It was also less repetitive than some.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I remember BoE with a lot of fondness, but I can't find it in me to put it above BoA - retro nostalgia is nice, and it is amazing what the scenario designers accomplished then, when they had to place all those nodes by hand, and up-hill both ways, but BoA is more powerful and more shiny, and what has already been made for it is just a hint of what lies in store over the next years (hopefully).

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #13
Avernum 2. That's all I have to say.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #14
Aran, you traitor!!

BoE all the way!

*hopes nobody finds out she recently downloaded the A4 demo*

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:

I remember BoE with a lot of fondness, but I can't find it in me to put it above BoA - retro nostalgia is nice, and it is amazing what the scenario designers accomplished then, when they had to place all those nodes by hand, and up-hill both ways, but BoA is more powerful and more shiny, and what has already been made for it is just a hint of what lies in store over the next years (hopefully).
Puh-leeze. Blades of Avernum does not have an answer to SotS on a technical level. Hell, some of the things I've done in E:A or B2 go well and above BoA. And if C is BoA's most advanced combat, it still doesn't answer a bajillion BoE scenarios (Areni, NTH, Roots, etc).

Plot-wise, BoA doesn't even come close. Gameplay-wise, BoA doesn't even come close. Graphically, BoA has its nifty bits here and there for cutscenes, but then again, BoE had Relhan/Farland/Piazuelo*.
Not only is BoE older, it's still ahead on practically all levels of measurement.

(* Okay, BoA technically has Piazuelo as well, but not only are her graphics not used that often, she was far more prolific with BoE.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
TM: Most of those things are problems with the designer, not the engine. It isn't as if the Nethergate engine causes scenarios to have bad plots. The graphics are nearly the same, just rotated 45 degrees. And from the little of the Exile demos I've played before I've run from the computer screaming, the disparity seems to lie in the other direction.

I understand your reluctance to change engines, though. If JV re-re-released the trilogy on the Geneforge engine, I wouldn't buy it, even though it's superior to the Nethergate engine.

The problem lies in the BoA community, which is comatose, but not dead.

--------------------
SotS? E:A? B2? NTH? Acronyms are fun!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #17
Shadow of the Stranger, Echoes: Assault, Bandits 2, Nebulous Times Hence.

And if you haven't played any of them, then you haven't really played BoE.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
TM: Most of those things are problems with the designer, not the engine.
True. But fact is, you can have the most complex scripting program in the world- if you can't do anything with it (or, in this case, if nothing is done), then what good is it?

BoA has potential, but we haven't come remotely close to matching what BoE did with its (supposedly) more limited potential. At that point, saying that BoA is the better game is like saying that a sheet of paper is the best piece of artwork there is: Absurd.

quote:
The graphics are nearly the same, just rotated 45 degrees.
Concentrated BS. Iso-3d is baddy mc bad-bad because graphical detail has to be used to make things perspectively consistent rather than good for good's sake. Take, for example, Luz' or Farland's dragon graphics (any of 'em). ALL of them are absolutely excellent, and NONE of them are useable in BoA because of the nature of an isometric game.

quote:
I understand your reluctance to change engines, though.
Wait, what? My reluctance to change? And what percent of BoA scenarios have you made?

quote:
If JV re-re-released the trilogy on the Geneforge engine, I wouldn't buy it, even though it's superior to the Nethergate engine.
I wouldn't buy it either, but that's because the geneforge engine is well and truly awful.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Rubicante:

[QUOTE]BoA has potential, but we haven't come remotely close to matching what BoE did with its (supposedly) more limited potential. At that point, saying that BoA is the better game is like saying that a DVD is a better medium for storing a movie than a VHS tape: True, but it is only a medium.

I'm bored, so I'll correct your comparison to put BoA in a slightly more favorable light.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #20
I think I liked both Exile 1 + 2 (played Exile 1-3 rather than Avernum). They both felt really quite epic. If I had to choose, it would be Exile 2. Quite liked Exile 3, but hated the clock and permanently kept it at day 1 :) (one day I'll go back and set it to day 100 to play that bit in the tower I missed).

BoE/BoA was ok. A Small Rebellion was awesome, and I liked ZKR (but like others I hated that they start/end didn't map to anywhere), but VoDT and DWD were pretty so-so. Tbh, I don't want to play custom scenarios, as I'm not interested in stuff that isn't 'canon'.

I'm liking Avernum 4 so far - the engine is great, but the messed-up perspectives (it just feels so small) are a bit weird. It will probably be good in Av 5 if the caves are supposed to be small, but it doesn't work entirely for so-called multi-mile-long caves.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #21
Sigh. TM, BoA isn't a game. Neither is BoE. As you said, they are both mediums. BoE may have better scenarios made for it, true. But if you took those scenarios and put them into BoA, they would be just the same, or better. That's not considering all the extra potential BoA has. (Of course, this is all assuming that the import function actually worked...)

I don't know why we're disagreeing. We both think BoA has more potential and BoE has a better and larger pool of scenarios.
quote:
Wait, what? My reluctance to change? And what percent of BoA scenarios have you made?
Aww, be nice, I just started. To clarify, I was talking about everyone's reluctance to change to a newer but unestablished system of any type.
quote:
I wouldn't buy it either, but that's because the geneforge engine is well and truly awful.
Let's agree to disagree. Some things I miss, but overall I think it's better.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will see a competent psychiatrist and get cured of all extremely unusual phobias and bizarre compulsive habits which could prove to be a disadvantage.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
This brings us back to the original question I alluded to in the second post on this thread: what are we considering when we talk about BoE and BoA being good?

If we're considering the third-party scenarios in existence — "Which is, at the moment, a better buy?" — then BoE trounces BoA without question.

If we're considering future potential — "Which is a better buy if you're going to be a part of the community for a while?" — then BoA wins.

If we're considering only the Jeff-made parts, well, that's an interesting question, isn't it?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Jewels:

*hopes nobody finds out she recently downloaded the A4 demo*
Found out now.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #24
From a player's perspective, BoE wins by a very wide margin. The scenarios made for it give you more playing time than the rest of Spidweb games combined and it's possible to find some good scenarios that fit your mood, regardless of what your current mood it.

From designer's perspective, BoA supposedly has more potential. I haven't tried making a large scenario in either one, so I can't judge.

Finally, if we are talking only about content written by Jeff, I'd call it a 3-way tie between Avernum 2, Nethergate and Geneforge 2. Nethergate had some unique elements, such as playing the same story from both sides. A2 and Gf2 are more polished than their predicessors, and have better plots/environment than their successors.

[ Monday, April 10, 2006 08:49: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

Pages