Exit Strategy (Realized)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Exit Strategy (Realized)
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I'm outta here at 777 posts. It's time for me to more fully apply myself to my real life. Write something that makes me want to write something back.

This may also be good for any of you who would like to hasten the process.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 21:12: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #1
That should be easy and quick.
All we have to do is say something about Paul, the bible, or God. Who dares to go ahead and be the first one?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
If anyone's interested, I'll be taking bets on how long he'll last before he comes back.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
Good post Thurly. You win the first one. Can I place a bet?

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
You are leaving, and you dare warn the fluffy turtles in advance?

You are either extremely confident, or extremely foolish.

No one escapes through that door. For the door requires sanity to open...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #5
Arancaytar, I bow in respect. You are a fine fellow, indeed.

I must go find my own fluffy turtles.

I'm both extremely confident and extremely foolish.

It is a moment of sanity which beckons me to the door.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, but once that sanity is spent, you will feel drawn back inexorably. You can delete your bookmark, clear the cache, clear your browsing history, but once you feel that call, you will remember the URL from some subconscious corner of your mind, and enter it. You can struggle with yourself over every letter, but eventually you will hit enter, and then you are back.

If you have the good grace, at that point, not to start an "I'm back" topic, you have passed a further test on the road to oldbiehood. :P

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
You're leaving? My I ask why? And how?

I shall miss you. I shall also miss all the toys I had thrown in the pond when I was very small, but that is a completely different matter.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
He seems determined, and it would be quite embarrassing to come back after this thread. I can see several people feeling no remorse or shame about coming back, but I’m sure Sy it's not like that.
Therefore, I'd say a year, until the release of A5. Then again, I could be totally wrong and he'll come back running in two months.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
I was determined last July. The determination lasted a whole week.

If you don't count the secondary, anonymous account I started posting with two days after my departure. :(

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, The flying Dutchmen:

As stated by Synergy, he needs to "fully apply myself to his real life".
Aran - I'm sorry to inform you, that you're attached to life to the boards. I can see you being 30 and still posting (Actually, I can't but I felt like typing it). Btw, when does one become an Oldie? Am I one? Or am I somewhere between a Newbie and an Oldie? Cuz even though some of my posts are Newb material, I refuse to go by that status.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

anonymous account
That was funny. Your style and manner of posting are too well known for an anonymous account. Unless of course you choose to disguise it completely by changing where, when, and why you post. I'm sure that Synergy will come back, after all he just decided to get his house in order before devoting more time to the haranguing.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
One can try to get back to real life and keep posting at this forum. I'm the living example (if not one of the hunderds who are also the living examples). it is also not that difficult to live to lives at the same time, as long as one doesn't need to change clothes every fifteen minutes.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #13
Ah, well. I have never been good at trying to get anyone to do anything, even people I know well, so I don't see much chance here. Still, Synergy, I'll be sad to see you go, and I regret that I'd not read more of your postings. Come back when you can.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
quote:
You're leaving? May I ask why? And how?
Yes. Yes you may.

quote:
I shall miss you. I shall also miss all the toys I had thrown in the pond when I was very small, but that is a completely different matter.
Thanks, my friend of fine-feathered friends. You've got a fantastically wacky and upbeat sense of humor. Don't ever lose it! It's really quite a valuable asset. I threw away some stories I wrote and illustrated when I was little because they weren't "good enough" and I wish I had them now too.

Your questions:

Why? I feel like a toy on the bottom of the pond here too often and I am neglecting my real life. I'm not very good keeping things in balance sometimes, because I get caught up in the moment and my passion. There are other moments and other passions I wish to engage.

How? By not posting here anymore.

Arancaytar: God, I love it when people get real. Thanks for sharing that.

Salmon: Part of getting my house in order involves getting over my inclination to harrangue too much. I'll miss your dry and sometimes baffling wit for sure. I think it's baffling just because it's over my head. It's been nice having someone else around from our lovely state and from our lovely decade. May your table overflow bountifully with many plump, pink fish for many years to come. If I ever think of Kari Traa again, I'll think of you.

Dareva: You just had more effect than you might be inclined to give yourself credit for. You're one cool and edgy chick. Thanks.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 01:35: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
I forgot to ask this:

If you go, does that mean you also stop playing Avernum? if so, that's too bad. If you will still be playing BoA, I hope you will play my scenario.

That is all. Sorry, I'm getting a bit to sentimental.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
Thralni, look up my email or IM and let me know when your scenario's ready and I'd be delighted to give it a whirl.

I'm trying to play no more games for the better part of the rest of this year at least, but a scenario won't cause me to lose a week of my life. I've been avoiding buying Civilization IV for exactly this reason. Hmm, I may have to play the latest Myst though.

If I get asked to beta test A5, that would be a likely time I might show up again.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 01:48: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Selima:

quote:

As stated by Synergy, he needs to "fully apply myself to his real life".
Aran - I'm sorry to inform you, that you're attached to life to the boards. I can see you being 30 and still posting (Actually, I can't but I felt like typing it). Btw, when does one become an Oldie? Am I one? Or am I somewhere between a Newbie and an Oldie? Cuz even though some of my posts are Newb material, I refuse to go by that status.

Some adhere to a school of thought that you can never become an oldbie, you can only be an oldbie. You are an oldbie when nobody else remembers you being a newbie.

Another theory is a kind of Zen approach. You can become an oldbie only when you stop trying to become one. And one day you shall suddenly realize that you have been an oldbie for as long as you can remember, and longer.

Sadly, I've been here almost three years (anniversary next May) and yet I am merely among the older newbies. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

It's time for me to more fully apply myself to my real life. Write something that makes me want to write something back.
I don't know you, Selima, but I can say that writing in a Forum is a part of the real life, after all. Anyway, I cannot understand how someone can't fully apply himself real life because he write in a Forum. Anyway (again? Oh man... :rolleyes: ), goodbye.

(My English is worse than before, I think... :rolleyes: )

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
Some typos, but otherwise your English is quite good (at least a lot better than some people here...).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

It's time for me to more fully apply myself to my real life. Write something that makes me want to write something back.
I don't know you, Selima, but I can say that writing in a Forum is a part of the real life, after all. Anyway, I cannot understand how someone can't fully apply himself real life because he write in a Forum. Anyway (again? Oh man... :rolleyes: ), goodbye.

(My English is worse than before, I think... :rolleyes: )

As a note, Selima, otherwise known as Marlenny, is not leaving. Synergy, whom you quoted, is.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #21
1. You're going to return anyway.
2. At least you make for a better sparring partner than a fundamentalist.
If you're leaving because I'm a harsh debater, grant me this time to laugh.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
No, TM, he is not leaving because of you. We know you have that tendency to chace people away... Well, only the weaker newbies.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

2. At least you make for a better sparring partner than a fundamentalist.
And that must be among the top five for the greatest words of praise I have ever heard TM utter. I am impressed, Syn; you have obviously left quite an impression.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by TM:

At least you make for a better sparring partner than a fundamentalist.
A partial compliment from TM is praise indeed.

EDIT: Oh, I see Arancaytar hath made me redundant.

quote:
If you're leaving because I'm a harsh debater, grant me this time to laugh.
Sorry to deprive you of any mirth you might have had coming, but it's rather the opposite in your case, my narcissistic friend. In this case, it's not all about you. I can' t for the life of me quite put my finger on it, but there is some odd sense of respect and affection lurking around under the brazen, equal-opportunity offender persona you so lustily employ. I've derived pleasure from our interactions.

You take as well as you give. You're wicked sharp. We all seem to speak our own language, and sometimes I think we could all use translators and spare everyone many words, but I love the process of daring to attempt sincere and effective communication and to explore ideas with something of an open mind, even when the process is volatile. Every such exercise is at the very least useful to teach us something of ourselves and to hone our technique.

So, my hat's off to the whetstone that sharpens. I know it's good for me, and hopefully others, even if I manage to distance and annoy the hell out of many people on my way to learning humbler, more concise and utilitarian dialog.

TM's a good man. I say that because it sounds right, rather than to invite debate over what "good" means or where goodness comes from.

Even if it does come from God. ;)

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 05:38: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------

Pages