Eep! Christians! (Split from Christian Radio)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Eep! Christians! (Split from Christian Radio)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by ben12C8:

If there is a God, then we should obviously accept him into our hearts and get to heaven when we die.
Nothing obvious about that at all. You haven't ruled out the possibility that even if God exists and saves those who worship him, it might be morally better to reject him and accept eternal damnation. Or that God is perverse and saves only those who don't believe in him. Or that God is going to send everyone to hell regardless of their beliefs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #26
Many thanks to Imban.

Ben, I believe that's loosely a description of Pascal's Wager, which is generally considered a false dichotomy (sp?). In other words, if you're just doing it to hedge your bets, you should stay off the beef as well (Hinduism), not to mention pork (Judaism), and have as many kids as possible (Mormonism). Also, you'll have to pray daily to an assortment of gods, including five times to Allah. And then you'll die and it'll turn out the Greeks were right all along, and you'll be thrown into Hades for bein no fun at all.

Following Christianity because you think it's true is a more sensible thing to do, I think.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #27
Argh. Beat me to it.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Following Christianity because you think it's true is a more sensible thing to do, I think.
Replace "think" with "believe."
Honestly, none of this has given me any reason to believe, and my reasons not to believe have yet to be countered.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by TM:

GOD IS NOT MALE NOR FEMALE.
Right. “Him” is for convenience and out of the usually depicted father role. One could call God “El-Shaddhai,” (the breasted one,) just as correctly. God is all that is male and female and more.

quote:
Furthermore, if you ever claim that god is not a higher force.
God does say, “My thoughts are higher than your thoughts, and my ways are higher than your ways.” God is Source/Father/Creator, so yes, a “higher force.” God’s the only force, and we have force by virtue of our having come out of Him, yet also remaining a part of Him. Don’t ask me to explain the paradox, but we have the earthly genetic/family experience to give us a conception of it. God is a family, not a caste-system. Honor and privilege come with maturity and demonstration of ability.

quote:
quote:
How does one grow muscles if one never exercises against opposing forces?
How interesting- you start an argument about god with a statement on fighting people.

Fighting people is in your thinking. I was picturing a weight-lifter. But the reality is that there is something in the spiritual realm which opposes life and truth, and we are to grow up and overcome it by virtue of wrestling with it and recognizing it and rejecting it until we do.

quote:
I find the notion that you have to go through the gauntlet before you can "know good" to be nothing short of defeatist (or at worst, rationalizing) nonsense.
The “gauntlet” is training. I’d call it something more like learn to “choose the right way in wisdom” (rather than in naiveté,) “learn some self-discipline,” and “learn why love is the law.” You gotta train to win the medal, save lives as a doctor, fight in the army. Training shows us approved and stronger than our opposing forces we encounter in training. When we are trained, disciplined, stronger, wiser, we qualify for further responsibilities. Little children have a nice existence sitting around receiving gifts and having all things done for them. It’s much more satisfying to grow up, prove oneself capable, and go create and procreate. It’s a tough training field, but well worth it.

quote:
So are you attributing all interpersonal communication to god?
No. I am attributing much of our knowing of God to interpersonal experience.

quote:
So ultimately, you're saying that your god is essentially irrelevant to us on the level of whether or not we believe in him.
God is relevant whether we acknowledge it or not, because God continues to do what God wills and His spiritual laws continue to operate. God becomes consciously relevant to us when we begin to know God for ourselves. We can then become more of an agent of God’s will rather than merely a recipient of God’s will.

quote:
My ultimate question is not "Does god exist," but rather, "regardless of whether it exists or not, why should I care?"
You shouldn’t and won’t until you do. God doesn’t put the burden of proof in our hands. He takes the responsibility to open our eyes to His Being.

quote:
If humanity is your god, then why not call it humanity?
Humanity is not my god. It is the family of God with the qualities of God in process of being refined and remembered. You mentioned severing limbs. Re-membering is bringing back to our awareness our connection with God and His nature, as well as the reattaching of that which, at least in our imagination, has been cut off from us.

quote:
I'd ask "what is the spirit?" but I know for a fact that I would not get an answer.
Spirit is energy (isn’t everything?), attitude, the wind no one can see but the affects of which can be readily seen and heard. It’s lots of things I don’t understand. One person walking into a room can change its atmosphere with her spirit. A heart caught up in love can be mightily transformed by that spirit.

quote:
So He has Righteously Decapitated His Arm and Hoped for It to Turn into a Magnificent Bicep of Righteousness?
We cut ourselves off by deadening our thinking and developing our own faulty conscience and estimation of “good and evil.” Imagine children setting their own rules in their house. We’ve done something like that with religion. God doesn’t hope. He wills and does. We’re impatient. He is patient and methodical.

quote:
I'm sorry, but this nonsense gets me every time. Is the point of humanity to improve itself for some heavenly reunion? Is god training us by letting us massacre (I'm still trying to think of a word that implies more death here) ourselves left and right to "improve ourselves?" Why couldn't it have made us enlightened, if that was its intent from the get-go? The ultimate moral is that working has inherent value
You would like all things showered upon you as free gifts? Many things must be earned by demonstration of our capacity to handle them responsibly. Children get gifts from Dad. Adults employ creative and proactive energies to make things happen and bring things into being. There is no heaven as a place. It’s simply the place wherever God is ruling, particularly within the heart of us. But reunions of all that have been lost have been promised. God has dominion over life and death. There is nothing irretrievable to Him.

quote:
Are you saying that we don't already have dominion over the world? Or are you implying that god punishes us for unrighteous behavior? (If that's the case, let me know now so I can hate you.) What's this "authority" that you mention, anyway?
We have a degree of power over the world, but hardly dominion. Many perils of life and nature readily dispatch us and we are very irresponsible with the domination we do wield. We don’t have dominion over ourselves yet. Ain’t no way we’re going to have dominion over the world outside. God doesn’t punish in the capricious sense. He disciplines to correct us so we may live and learn the way that works for all of us. Again, even literal death need not be a permanent end. We’re impatient and unaware of many things out of our sight and knowing.

quote:
So you're saying that you use loving humanity as a way to love god by proxy? In that case, humanity is still not at the forefront!
I mean that loving humanity shows deference, respect, and trust for the Father Who is pleased when his children learn to get along and love each other. By describing one of His roles as Father, God tells us something about His desires and drives in that role. We are given earthly fatherhood to demonstrate it for us. Wise fathers don’t demand love from children like tyrants...they foster it and earn it.

quote:
And, I guess- If the father knows the rules, why the hell doesn't he teach them?
What makes you think that all of earth’s history and all personal experience hasn’t been contributing exactly what has been appropriate so far for us towards our learning the ways of love and truth?

quote:
none of this comes even remotely close to answering my question! At least Ash, Giz, ben et al. have the Hitler-God who will obliterate me for kicks.
Christianity has turned it backwards. The obliteration has already taken place when we got the thick notion in our head that we were alienated from God and that we lack somehow. Awakening and restoration of spiritual relationship is what we can expect. We are living our obliteration, our hells right now. Sucks, don't it? Why do you think so many people ARE in torment right here right now? It's not punishment. We did it to ourselves. God is gracious enough to be patiently working to save us from ourselves. It's simply a work not yet complete.

quote:
Becoming greater involves all of the things that your god wants, and yet none of the things that believing in your god provides.
Becoming greater means becoming mature and proven enough spiritually to be granted further responsibility and authority to bless people. Nothing becomes more satisfying or rewarding.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 17:45: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #30
Wow. Many thanks to Imban for going through the trouble of separating the above into their own thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the debate proceed, eventhough so far I'm having trouble reading through Synergy's posts with all the religious rhetoric. Still, this seems to be a very lively conversation.

Edit: Damn, missed the second page. To participate in the thread however, I'm with TM in the claim that whether or not God exists, if he/she/it doesn't see it necessary to make itself manifest, we have no obligation to follow its wishes and/or to try to exact its will upon humanity.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 18:45: Message edited by: Proud Owner of: ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

In the event of a god, specifically the traditional christian one (omnipresent, -potent, and -benevolent), I think I'd be fine.
I wouldn't be. Any god who sees all and is all-powerful who doesn't immediately change the world for the better by ending the massive amounts of strife in it does not deserve my esteem.

In the Christian canon, God surrendered his omnipotence upon the creation of humanity. The entire idea is that God wanted humanity to love God and be happy of its own accord. I don't find the rampant parent-child relationship analogies very pertinent, because it vexes parents to no end that immature children have free wills, and they do everything they can to correct that particular vexation.

As to the real thrust of your point, the assertion that an omnipotent God permitting suffering is morally bankrupt, I will offer a semi-mathematical rebuttal. Assuming a metaphysical component to humanity which survives physical existence into eternity, the ratio of physical suffering to whatever happens post-physical-existence is necessarily infintessimal. Now, that's not a reason to believe, but I think it is a logical way of seeing the situation that at least moves the concept of God above the level of scorn.

quote:
Originally written by Imban:

quote:

Is humanity itself not enough of a goal for you? That itself is where I find objection with the notion of worshipping. People should be the ultimate achievement of people. A maybe-existant deity should not be the concern of people, lest they be distracted from the main issue at hand- one another.

I hold that the core human impulse behind religion is an innate desire to rationalize an innate desire to be good to one another. People use it to explain fear-inducing natural phenomena, as the contempuous scientists and logicians will have you know, and the chic 'net-liberals on this board would be right to say that many people simply want to be smug in their self-righteousness. Still, is it so horrible to believe that we were created so that we might learn to love one another (or "act for the benefit of one another," whichever you prefer) in our time on Earth? Furthermore, is it not more just to believe that there will be a time free of suffering when loving like we've learned to will truly make us happy? (And, conversely, when those without a deep and abiding respect for humanity as a whole will be miserable?)

That's why I've come to believe in a Christian God, despite being a math/science type of guy. For the universe to be just, the people that live their lives for others and get crap in return need to be rewarded.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Replace "think" with "believe."

What's the difference?

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 17:59: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by PoD person:

I don't find the rampant parent-child relationship analogies very pertinent, because it vexes parents to no end that immature children have free wills, and they do everything they can to correct that particular vexation.
Correct free will? What do you want, automaton clones? Our unique passion, drive, capacity, and mind is what makes us so wonderful as human beings. Learning boundaries and following rules like not crossing the street alone is for the protection of the child, not to exorcise it of the wickedness of having a will of its own.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

quote:

I don't find the rampant parent-child relationship analogies very pertinent, because it vexes parents to no end that immature children have free wills, and they do everything they can to correct that particular vexation.
Correct free will? What do you want, automaton clones? Our unique passion, drive, capacity, and mind is what makes us so wonderful as human beings. Learning boundaries and following rules like not crossing the street alone is for the protection of the child, not to exorcise it of the wickedness of having a will of its own.

Well, you've caught me in a bit of an exaggeration there, but I still think that God's creation of human beings as something that wouldn't necessarily have to obey him is just too different for the analogy to hold.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 18:46: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

quote:
none of this comes even remotely close to answering my question! At least Ash, Giz, ben et al. have the Hitler-God who will obliterate me for kicks.
Christianity has turned it backwards. The obliteration has already taken place when we got the thick notion in our head that we were alienated from God and that we lack somehow. Awakening and restoration of spiritual relationship is what we can expect. We are living our obliteration, our hells right now. Sucks, don't it? Why do you think so many people ARE in torment right here right now? It's not punishment. We did it to ourselves. God is gracious enough to be patiently working to save us from ourselves. It's simply a work not yet complete.

Why do I think so many people are in torment right here right now? Because some people get it into their heads that they're so much better than everyone else that they get to rule supreme, and then the idiots act on that idea. God's got nothing to do with it... people caused the suffering that most of the world goes through today, and another god figure in our lives will not save us.

Seriously, how much good can it do to restore our spiritual relationships if we forget to fix the human ones?!

quote:
Originally written by PoD Person:

As to the real thrust of your point, the assertion that an omnipotent God permitting suffering is morally bankrupt, I will offer a semi-mathematical rebuttal. Assuming a metaphysical component to humanity which survives physical existence into eternity, the ratio of physical suffering to whatever happens post-physical-existence is necessarily infintessimal. Now, that's not a reason to believe, but I think it is a logical way of seeing the situation that at least moves the concept of God above the level of scorn.
This assumes a lot. And if there's no afterlife? Besides, that's still fear-mongering in the sense that our actions in a brief existence on earth will decide our soul's eternal fate.

quote:

I hold that the core human impulse behind religion is an innate desire to rationalize an innate desire to be good to one another. People use it to explain fear-inducing natural phenomena, as the contempuous scientists and logicians will have you know, and the chic 'net-liberals on this board would be right to say that many people simply want to be smug in their self-righteousness. Still, is it so horrible to believe that we were created so that we might learn to love one another (or "act for the benefit of one another," whichever you prefer) in our time on Earth? Furthermore, is it not more just to believe that there will be a time free of suffering when loving like we've learned to will truly make us happy? (And, conversely, when those without a deep and abiding respect for humanity as a whole will be miserable?)

That's why I've come to believe in a Christian God, despite being a math/science type of guy. For the universe to be just, the people that live their lives for others and get crap in return need to be rewarded.

Okay, this assumes we were created. I prefer to believe that we evolved with the sure social knowledge that cooperation was required for survival. Once survival became less of a priority, people were able to be selfish fools without destroying (much) of the species at large, though some held on to the idea that trying to make life better for each other is a worthwhile cause. So I think it's there in everyone's mind, independent of religion.

And I just don't get the "time free of suffering" bit.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #36
My belief remains that organized religion is too destructive. It's too easy to manipulate the masses to do your EVIL BIDDING. I believe in trees and having fun until the so-black-and-nothinglike-it's-not-even-black-or-nothing feeling of death arrives. I also believe in love and goodness. And righteousness to the extent that I say it when surfing or canoing down rapids.

--------------------
--Dachnaz
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
quote:

If all available evidence points to the universe being unjust, it seems simpler to conclude that the universe is in fact unjust than to postulate a reason why it's not.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Right. “Him” is for convenience and out of the usually depicted father role. One could call God “El-Shaddhai,” (the breasted one,) just as correctly. God is all that is male and female and more.
CHAUVINISM IS NOT CONVENIENT; IT IS ALIENATORY. STOP CALLING YOUR DEITY MALE IMMEDIATELY OR NEXT TIME I WILL NOT GRATIFY YOU WITH A RESPONSE.

quote:
God does say, “My thoughts are higher than your thoughts, and my ways are higher than your ways.”
See, here's a problem I've had with archetypal thought from the get-go. All of the truths that are supposedly meta-physical (the mere notion of which I am against on a fundamental basis) can and must be proven in the realm of the physical, or else you open the door to Plato or Leibniz or any number of nonsensical notions.

Furthermore, that I offered a proof of empathy from an atheist perspective and yet you insist that empathy comes from your god only proves how further-distanced your notion of empathy is from the humans who practice it.

quote:
God is Source/Father/Creator, so yes, a “higher force.”
GOD IS NOT A FATHER.

And so you admit to contradicting yourself (and subsequently falling into the harms of my initial tirade). Okay.

quote:
God’s the only force, and we have force by virtue of our having come out of Him, yet also remaining a part of Him. Don’t ask me to explain the paradox
I wasn't going to ask you to explain it.

quote:
but we have the earthly genetic/family experience to give us a conception of it. God is a family, not a caste-system. Honor and privilege come with maturity and demonstration of ability.
1. I still don't know what "privelege" (which I believe you previously called "authority") is.
2. So what if god is a family? You're still implying that god is a parent figure that is above us. No, nevermind- you already admitted to that much.

quote:
Fighting people is in your thinking. I was picturing a weight-lifter.
Har-de-har. If you wanted to describe weight-lifting, Mr. Derrida, you could have chosen a great deal of less vague methods to do so.

quote:
But the reality is that there is something in the spiritual realm which opposes life and truth, and we are to grow up and overcome it by virtue of wrestling with it and recognizing it and rejecting it until we do.
I was going to make a point that this is promoting individual achievement as the ultimate achievement, which devalues people coming together.

Then, I was going to say that the way that you describe this is alienatory towards the wrong-doers and cannot help but fuel division.

After that, I deigned to tackle it from the position of using mythological rhetoric whose only bi-product is hate and ignorance.

But at long last, I decided that my time would best be spent in declaring this metaphysical bullocks and being done with it.

quote:
The “gauntlet” is training.
Wow! Thanks for telling me the definition of the words I use. Greatly appreciated.

quote:
I’d call it something more like learn to “choose the right way in wisdom” (rather than in naiveté,) “learn some self-discipline,” and “learn why love is the law.”
And why does this have to be "training?" It's as if all of your rhetoric exists to draw unspoken conclusions that all of this is personal, isolated and ultimately serves to bolster the self, and cannot be achieved easily. You are defeatist and alienatory; I'll take your points seriously when you can say "when people know the truth" and be done with it.

quote:
You gotta train to win the medal, save lives as a doctor, fight in the army. Training shows us approved and stronger than our opposing forces we encounter in training.
1. Your examples are self-glorification, extreme money-making and dying for abstract causes. Pardon me while I wretch in disgust.
2. I do not know what "training shows us approved" could possibly mean. Approved by god? Approved by ourselves? Or am I merely supposed to fill in the blanks with whatever feels good?

And, I guess, my biggest point that I can draw out:

3. You seem dead-set on the notion that there is inherent good in "finding the way" and that simply being at the end of the "way" is somehow impossible. Your idea of discerning enlightenment is backwards: Obviously, nobody is born with all of life's answers, but the goal is being enlightened, not the means by which we become enlightened. It is good to become more enlightened, but all points at which a person knows less truth are bad because the person knows less truth. So far, all of your ugly and malformed arguments about discernment have existed to support your metaphysical viewpoint of god-as-parent. Not all of existence has to have any meaning greater than the truth inherent in the physicality of existence.

quote:
God is relevant whether we acknowledge it or not, because God continues to do what God wills and His spiritual laws continue to operate.
SPIT ON FIRE. My question this whole bloody freaking time has been "why BELIEVE in a god?" and now you're telling me that it really isn't relevant at all?
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

quote:
God becomes consciously relevant to us when we begin to know God for ourselves.
You shouldn’t and won’t until you do. God doesn’t put the burden of proof in our hands. He takes the responsibility to open our eyes to His Being.
This is why I absolutely, flat-out hate christianity- its believers set themselves apart on the basis that they have a superior set of experience than non-adherents! Or are you saying that you can "know god" without believing in it? In that case, I DIRECT YOU TO THE FIRST FREAKING POST THAT SET OFF THIS DEBATE.

quote:
We can then become more of an agent of God’s will rather than merely a recipient of God’s will.
So you're saying that we can't do good until we do god's good? Again. FIRST POST.

quote:
Humanity is not my god.
Obviously.

quote:
It is the family of God with the qualities of God in process of being refined and remembered.
I guess atheists are disowned cousins then, hunh?

quote:
You mentioned severing limbs. Re-membering is bringing back to our awareness our connection with God and His nature, as well as the reattaching of that which, at least in our imagination, has been cut off from us.
Based on the nature of your god, I'd much rather remain decapitated.

quote:
Spirit is energy (isn’t everything?), attitude, the wind no one can see but the affects of which can be readily seen and heard. It’s lots of things I don’t understand. One person walking into a room can change its atmosphere with her spirit. A heart caught up in love can be mightily transformed by that spirit.
Way to say absolutely nothing. Bonus points for the emotional porno-show.

quote:
We cut ourselves off by deadening our thinking and developing our own faulty conscience and estimation of “good and evil.”
Which is a particularly back-handed way of saying: "Join God, He who Hath a Penis, Lest Ye be Wrong"

Or in other words- Your whole ideology revolves around the idea that humanity is eternally wrong. Regardless of whether or not this is TRUE, it sets up an attitude of defeatism and grants its believers an insane amount of egoism.

quote:
You would like all things showered upon you as free gifts?
YES. Either I work for 'em or I get 'em for free. In both instances, the same outcome is received- I've got it.

quote:
Many things must be earned by demonstration of our capacity to handle them responsibly.
Read as:
God hasn't given ended disease because then we'd use our good health.

Work will not end- at least, it won't end anytime soon. Regardless, it would be infinitely better if it did. Working does not have any positive value.

quote:
We don’t have dominion over ourselves yet. Ain’t no way we’re going to have dominion over the world outside.
Quoted for metaphysical nonsense.

quote:
God doesn’t punish in the capricious sense.
This is a contradiction- there is no punishment that isn't capricious. Deterrence is almost as bad.

quote:
Again, even literal death need not be a permanent end.
So that's an excuse for this world to suck?

quote:
We’re impatient and unaware of many things out of our sight and knowing.
You're a sheep.

quote:
I mean that loving humanity shows deference, respect, and trust for the Father Who is pleased when his children learn to get along and love each other.
That's what I meant too! When I was criticizing you!

quote:
By describing one of His roles as Father, God tells us something about His desires and drives in that role. We are given earthly fatherhood to demonstrate it for us. Wise fathers don’t demand love from children like tyrants...they foster it and earn it.
This says nothing.

quote:
What makes you think that all of earth’s history and all personal experience hasn’t been contributing exactly what has been appropriate so far for us towards our learning the ways of love and truth?
This is a hollow rationalization.

quote:
Christianity has turned it backwards.
Oh really?

quote:
The obliteration has already taken place when we got the thick notion in our head that we were alienated from God and that we lack somehow.
WHAT? Aren't you the one whose point this whole time was that we're self-centered children?

quote:
Awakening and restoration of spiritual relationship is what we can expect.
I hope not.

quote:
We are living our obliteration, our hells right now. Sucks, don't it?
No more than dealing with this crap.

quote:
Why do you think so many people ARE in torment right here right now? It's not punishment. We did it to ourselves. God is gracious enough to be patiently working to save us from ourselves. It's simply a work not yet complete.
If god has the power, why not use it NOW? Or is it too immature to want problems to be solved? This is defeatist nonsense and rationalizations for a worldview whose ultimate moral is that us getting screwed is somehow "okay." Stop pandering into the status quo!

quote:
Becoming greater means becoming mature and proven enough spiritually to be granted further responsibility and authority to bless people. Nothing becomes more satisfying or rewarding.
This says nothing.

Just a question. Are you saying that god hasn't solved the world's problems because we aren't "mature" enough? The problems in the world are what make us (including YOU) "immature" and make us not believe in a god that, should it exist, has clearly abandoned us all!

I'm a bit outraged. Next time you post, let me know if I've been shat upon before I go the whole way through it first.

quote:
In the Christian canon, God surrendered his omnipotence upon the creation of humanity. The entire idea is that God wanted humanity to love God and be happy of its own accord.
So god gives us the capacity to be miserable and die so we can stroke its ego?
PS- GOD IS NOT A MAN. GOD DOES NOT HAVE MALE GENETALIA. GOD DOES NOT HAVE REPRODUCTIVE CELLS, AND EVEN IF IT DID, THERE IS NO INDICATOR AS TO THEIR MOBILITY. THIS APPLIES TO YOU TOO. GOD IS NOT MALE.

quote:
Heh. I don't know if you're arguing against synergy, but if so, good job.

quote:
As to the real thrust of your point, the assertion that an omnipotent God permitting suffering is morally bankrupt, I will offer a semi-mathematical rebuttal.
And I will offer wholly-mathematical disgust.

quote:
Assuming a metaphysical component to humanity which survives physical existence into eternity, the ratio of physical suffering to whatever happens post-physical-existence is necessarily infintessimal.
Way to rationalize from the get-go.

quote:
Now, that's not a reason to believe, but I think it is a logical way of seeing the situation that at least moves the concept of God above the level of scorn.
So now you too are admitting that you can't answer my original question.

quote:
I hold that the core human impulse behind religion is an innate desire to rationalize an innate desire to be good to one another.
Because, you know, people can't ever just accept something that they feel- physical reality isn't nearly as logical as metaphysical reality, after all.

quote:
People use it to explain fear-inducing natural phenomena, as the contempuous scientists and logicians will have you know, and the chic 'net-liberals on this board would be right to say that many people simply want to be smug in their self-righteousness.
"Contempuous [sic]" scientists and logicians... Always looking for that pesky truth, hunh?

I don't know if wanting to be smug in self-righteousness is the ultimate goal of religion across the board, but I've certainly seen an undeniable proportion of religious people follow religion for just such a reason.

quote:
Still, is it so horrible to believe that we were created so that we might learn to love one another (or "act for the benefit of one another," whichever you prefer) in our time on Earth?
I don't think that's so horrible. I just don't see why religion or a "higher force" is needed for that- that is essentially my problem with religion.

quote:
Furthermore, is it not more just to believe that there will be a time free of suffering when loving like we've learned to will truly make us happy?
I'd like that to be right now, thankyouverymuch. Furthermore, saying that such a time will exist post-mortem is a great justification for slavery, capitalism, genocide, et al.

quote:
(And, conversely, when those without a deep and abiding respect for humanity as a whole will be miserable?)
So your religion wishes misery on people. How pleasant.

quote:
That's why I've come to believe in a Christian God
...hunh? How'd we get from arguing for a benevolent god in general to the christian god?

quote:
despite being a math/science type of guy.
...there is no need to compliment yourself.

quote:
For the universe to be just, the people that live their lives for others and get crap in return need to be rewarded.
So wait- you're rationalizing why the universe is just rather than making it that way?

quote:
What's the difference [between "think" and "believe"]?
Think implies any sort of thought process. You'll have to convince me of that first.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 22:47: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

This assumes a lot. And if there's no afterlife? Besides, that's still fear-mongering in the sense that our actions in a brief existence on earth will decide our soul's eternal fate.

quote:

Okay, this assumes we were created. I prefer to believe that we evolved with the sure social knowledge that cooperation was required for survival. Once survival became less of a priority, people were able to be selfish fools without destroying (much) of the species at large, though some held on to the idea that trying to make life better for each other is a worthwhile cause. So I think it's there in everyone's mind, independent of religion.

And I just don't get the "time free of suffering" bit.

Well, the first quote. Taken with the rest, I'm not really fear-mongering, although, granted, I'm assuming an afterlife. The idea is that time on Earth allows experimentation and learning through free will. I'm not altogether convinced that things are set in stone from there.

"The idea that trying to make life better for each other is a worthwhile cause" is also what I advanced as a large cause of religion. As people were "able to be selfish fools without destroying (much) the society at large" religion is what grew up to exert pressure on that contingent.

Perhaps my belief stems from the feeling that people get cancer, people get in freak accidents, and people fall prey to their own kind, regardless of how harmful or beneficial they've been to society, and it's a darn shame if all the good they did was for nothing.

I've also not been sufficiently clear about what I mean by afterlife. I posit a condition in which consciousness is detached from physical reality (a fairly inescaple element of any afterlife-idea). Without worldly pleasures, I imagine those who love and glory in their fellows, and the total essence of it all that we call "God" will be quite a bit happier than those with contempt and hatred for the world. Purely a psychological heaven, hell, or shade of gray - no fire, milk, brimstone, or honey here. Basically, the purity of your intent while on Earth will determine your ultimate happiness, not the slick November roads, the caprices of your own biology, not geopolitics, not someone's desire for your life-insurance policy or to cut costs or for cheap labor. My scenario is simply the most just one I can think of, and thus the one in which I choose to believe.

TM

Even with pure social justice, there would still be that pesky Entropy, always spiraling towards our inevitable doom. Physical existence is inherently unjust. Pain exists. If all people were to drop religion and capitalism in its tracks, pain would still exist. People would stub their toes. People would strain muscles during over-enthusiastic coitus. People would be crushed by machinery. People would get sick. Regardless of their worth as human beings. In an absurdly unjust, and unchangable, physical situation, why not believe in metaphysics.

God as a sentient entity isn't quite necessary as part of a just metaphysical existence, but a concept of good, independent of human consciousness, is. I suppose the sentient God as explanation of free will just tickles my particular intellectual fancy (you needn't respond to that last sentence).

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:34: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #40
I think this merits its own post.

IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT THE MASCULINE PRONOUN IS USED IN SITUATIONS WHERE THE GENDER OF THE ANTECEDENT IS NEUTRAL. I TRIED, BUT IDIOM SNUCK UP ON ME. SO SUE ME.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:49: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #41
quote:

"The idea that trying to make life better for each other is a worthwhile cause" is also what I advanced as a large cause of religion. As people were "able to be selfish fools without destroying (much) the society at large" religion is what grew up to exert pressure on that contingent.
I fail to see the application of said pressure... anywhere. But in my eyes, it's like overuse of antibiotics... after so long of an exposure to religion, we're left with selfish fools who are completely resistant to the good messages a religion may contain. This includes televangelists.

quote:

Perhaps my belief stems from the feeling that people get cancer, people get in freak accidents, and people fall prey to their own kind, regardless of how harmful or beneficial they've been to society, and it's a darn shame if all the good they did was for nothing.
For nothing?!?! Of course it's not for nothing! The good that a person does should outlive them, or it wasn't any good at all! (Did the reforms of the civil rights movement disappear after King died? I think not!)

Pardon that outburst.

quote:

I've also not been sufficiently clear about what I mean by afterlife. I posit a condition in which consciousness is detached from physical reality (a fairly inescaple element of any afterlife-idea). Without worldly pleasures, I imagine those who love and glory in their fellows, and the total essence of it all that we call "God" will be quite a bit happier than those with contempt and hatred for the world. Purely a psychological heaven, hell, or shade of gray - no fire, milk, brimstone, or honey here. Basically, the purity of your intent while on Earth will determine your ultimate happiness, not the slick November roads, the caprices of your own biology, not geopolitics, not someone's desire for your life-insurance policy or to cut costs or for cheap labor. My scenario is simply the most just one I can think of, and thus the one in which I choose to believe.
This just kind of confused me even more. I want to understand it, but I can't quite get it.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Even with pure social justice, there would still be that pesky Entropy, always spiraling towards our inevitable doom. Physical existence is inherently unjust. Pain exists. If all people were to drop religion and capitalism in its tracks, pain would still exist. People would stub their toes. People would strain muscles during over-enthusiastic coitus. People would be crushed by machinery. People would get sick. Regardless of their worth as human beings. In an absurdly unjust, and unchangable, physical situation, why not believe in metaphysics.
"I wish to propose for the reader’s favourable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true." -- Bertrand Russell

P.S.: Edit your second post back in. TM won't mind.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 19:46: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #43
EDIT: To Ephesos

You're right. Pretentious it is. Let me try to say this in some sort of organized form.

I believe in an afterlife. A consciousness exists without a body in this afterlife. Without the physical rewards of selfishly taking advantage of other humans, one can only take pleasure from the existence of one's own kind. If you love others, you'll be happy. If you don't, then you won't.

If you care about people that way, your life on Earth will show it.

Well, you may only not see religion putting pressure on people to behave less selfishly because you don't attend regular services. Sure, televangelists like to fuel persecution delusions and harangue the sinners, but the sermons at my Catholic church are hardly ever in that vein. Usually they're about being there for someone in pain, or exhortations to seek greater social justice. Plus, the money that they take from us every Sunday is almost always for a worthy cause of some sort, and they've got quite the infrastructure. Really, I find it even more pronounced in situations where it's harder not to be selfish. In American inner cities, it's almost always the local protestant church that's most active in trying to keep children away from drugs, gangs, etc. You know the religion of the media and American politics, but day-to-day, it's a much more positive thing. I imagine my experience with Christianity translates to Islam, too.

And my "for nothing" comment was more about the would-be Martin Luther Kings that had all the aching desire for a better life and none of the rhetorical skills, infrastructure, or good luck to make the same impact. You can work just as hard, with just the same intent, and make no impact at all.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 20:02: Message edited by: PoD person ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #44
Do you in fact have any reason to believe in an afterlife beyond the fact that you find it most comfortable to do so? If you don't, that's fine; you don't seem to be out to convince anyone of anything anyway. I'm just curious.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #45
An objective reason? No. Guess not. I think it'd be considerably less statisfying if there was, too.

Well, in so far as that I try to convince people that Chris Cornell is simply the best rock vocalist ever to walk this Earth, yes (de gustibus dico veritatem), but otherwise, not really.

There's no verifiable answer, so I can't very well act like I know one, now can I?

Besides, religion seems to lack cautious apologists on the 'net. I always feel a duty to throw my hat into these rings. It's the one time when it isn't simply preferable to lurk.

EDIT: I see your questions, and I raise you one. You saw my second post, and responded rather quickly to my others. Is it part of your moderatorial strategy to sit there looking at the religion topic in which TM has taken an interest and hitting refresh?

If so, the elections found the right man. Smart policy.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 20:25: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #46
Um... whoa.
I'm glad I missed all of this...
Too much chaos is still chaos.

quote:

[QB] Besides, religion seems to lack cautious apologists on the 'net. I always feel a duty to throw my hat into these rings. It's the one time when it isn't simply preferable to lurk.[QB]
Religion seems to lack cautious apologists outside of certain closed academic cirles, let alone on the net...

A lone amateur apologetic would like to offer his services, should someone specifically ask for them.
But he's not addressing this mess at large.
ick.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has warned me that I'm getting in over my head.
Yeah, probably.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

EDIT: I see your questions, and I raise you one. You saw my second post, and responded rather quickly to my others. Is it part of your moderatorial strategy to sit there looking at the religion topic in which TM has taken an interest and hitting refresh?
Well, TM does have to be watched carefully in topics like this (although if we went around censoring everything questionable that he said, we'd be up all night watching the forums and his posts would be rendered mostly unreadable), but mostly my interest in the topic is personal.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #48
Originally by Lenar Labs:

quote:
Um... whoa.
I'm glad I missed all of this...
Too much chaos is still chaos.
Well, if the debate over the merits of TM's and Kelandon's scenarios is enough to endanger the poor, fluffy kittens, this debate is more than enough to endanger every feline in existence and start endangering the canines too.

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #49
Synergy: You keep saying "God is" "God is" and "God is." I wish you would remember that you are talking about something disputed. According to your perception (or whatever you want to call it), that's what God is. But saying "God is" without any qualifiers is ridiculous, unless you want to claim that your knowledge of the universe is inherently superior to mine or anyone else's -- a claim which will surely make me stop paying attention to you. You said above "We’re impatient and unaware of many things out of our sight and knowing." Surely you understand that this applies to you, too.

(Synergy)
quote:
Little children have a nice existence sitting around receiving gifts and having all things done for them. It’s much more satisfying to grow up, prove oneself capable, and go create and procreate.
I am sick and tired of seeing these comments from everyone. For many, arguably most little children, that is NOT what existence is like AT ALL. Some children learn that their parents will provide everything they need and protect them from all harm. But there are plenty who learn otherwise, who receive a certain degree of nurturing and protection, and a certain degree of trauma and inadequate care.

quote:
That smells like a very defensive self-world construct to me.

Incidentally, since Kel hasn't pointed it out yet, decapitation refers solely to beheading, not to any limbs being severed. The misuse only makes me laugh more at TM's line, but I thought I'd mention it.

(TM)
quote:
Working does not have any positive value.
I don't think you can back that one up. You can make arguments that it has solely practical value, which would be irrelevant or redundant in an abstract, ideal situation. But working has value simply based on our biological makeup (production of endorphins comes to mind). Biologically, we are put together to be able to do work.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages