Eep! Christians! (Split from Christian Radio)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Eep! Christians! (Split from Christian Radio)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #0
quote:
Originally written by ben12C8:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Semodius:

Eep! Christians! Run away!!!
I tend to feel the same way, but only when they're preachy. But then again, that goes for anybody of any group who thinks that they're right and nobody else is. Closed-mindedness gets on my nerves, as well as people who offer to try to convert me or "pray for me" (with the intent of getting me saved). I too am an atheist hippie nature-lover with a semi-liberal political stance, so I tend to be irked by the more uptight neo-fundamentalist types.

Generally, I'm fine with christians, and they're fine with me. As long as nobody tries to "save" anyone, everything's fine. :D

For instance, I get the feeling that I'd be intensely annoyed by any of the people who pay for their shows to air.

However, what if you were to die today and God asked you if you'd been faithful on your stay on Earth? Would you change your mind about being "saved"?

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

That sounds an awful lot like a threat.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

you're describing a very confused God, there.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Prometheus:

quote:

However, what if you were to die today and God asked you if you'd been faithful on your stay on Earth? Would you change your mind about being "saved"?
No.

If a god needs me to be an idealogue for him to not burn me eternally, he doesn't deserve my worship. If he doesn't need that, why bother making the difference between worshipping and not worshipping at all? (Actually, in that instance I'd argue that worshipping is still worse than not worshipping, but that's extraneous for now.)

Anyway, Creator didn't design this purpose so that self-righteous cyberpundits could crap all over it.

My question to Creator is, how "christian" do people want the station to be, and how do they "enforce" this policy?

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

That sounds an awful lot like a threat.
It is of course. Seems like it's harder to scare people into the faith than it once was when people were less educated, more superstitious, and less acquainted with other spiritual beliefs in other parts of the world.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
quote:

Eh, it was more of a point than a threat. The only reason you'd interpret it as a threat is if the outcome would be potentially unpreferrable.

Of course, God would know the answer to that question. He was just asking to make sure you knew. :P

[This post was verified threat-free by Microsoft Anti-Threat v2.1.05.]

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #6
quote:

quote:

In the event of a god, specifically the traditional christian one (omnipresent, -potent, and -benevolent), I think I'd be fine. Such a god would see that I'm basically a good person, unlike the people who frequently carry out questionable acts in his name (just saying that there are people who do so, not pointing at anyone).

In fact, I've had staunch Catholics say that your God would probably let me in. That was almost a heartwarming moment for me.

And yes, it kind of sounds like a threat...

(In the event of a god similar to the ones pined for by neo-fundamentalists today, I'm sure I'd burn. I joke about it a lot... but I took the test, and I'd only be in the first circle anyway.)

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
quote:

Ben, I’m not operating under the assumption that God ever asks us that question. I hear Christians ask that question all the time, but that’s not the same thing.

I simply wonder how many people love God because they know God and find God irresistibly warranting their love and admiration, not out of craven fear of punishment or avarice for heavenly reward. Would any of us want those we love to "love" us out of fear or greed? Would that be satisfying? Why do we imagine it would be satisfying to God Who says He makes us in His image?

EDIT: Added appropriate quote marks.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
quote:

quote:

In the event of a god, specifically the traditional christian one (omnipresent, -potent, and -benevolent), I think I'd be fine.
I wouldn't be. Any god who sees all and is all-powerful who doesn't immediately change the world for the better by ending the massive amounts of strife in it does not deserve my esteem.

quote:

I simply wonder how many people love God because they know God and find God irresistibly warranting their love and admiration, not out of craven fear of punishment or avarice for heavenly reward.
Okay, here. Let's assume that god is good, and let's assume that (like in the real world) it does not manifest itself in the real world.

If such a god is not omnipotent, he becomes worthy of love, but to love it would essentially be to fetishize an abstract concept- history is filled of examples of when this will lead you astray. Nationalism, classism, racism, et cetera. There is no example, however, of when worshipping an abstract concept will lead you towards good. For example- let's take King. He was a baptist and helped fight against racism. He would certainly lay claim to say that his religion has helped fight intolerance, but not only did he study under the Muslim, Hindu and Bahá'í followers of Ghandi; his fellow baptists on the other side of the racial line were radically against abolishing the Jim Crow lines. Christianity was not in-and-of-itself the motivation for King's actions.

Now, you might want to argue that there is a "greater force" or a "true god" motivating folks like King, but at the point where their main focus is the helping of actual people, why bother attributing it to a higher force anyway? (At this point, believing in a god is proven worthless. But I'll go on in case you're not convinced.)

If it is the work of a higher force, than are you implying that humans aren't going to be the ones to save humans? If that's your grand conclusion, then you're encouraging humans to accept the status quo as the will of god. ("If it hasn't changed yet, god hasn't willed it yet.")

And assume that your belief is that people coming together and doing good independent of a god is still influenced by a god. At that point, belief in god is humorously vaccuous. What point is there in believing in a god if the world is already fixed and the god is ultimately not the miserable, insecure, hate-mongering being followed by the majority of christo-cults nowadays? Do you really need to be convinced that there's something greater than humanity?

Is humanity itself not enough of a goal for you? That itself is where I find objection with the notion of worshipping. People should be the ultimate achievement of people. A maybe-existant deity should not be the concern of people, lest they be distracted from the main issue at hand- one another.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:44: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
quote:

quote:
Is humanity itself not enough of a goal for you? That itself is where I find objection with the notion of worshipping. People should be the penultimate achievement of people. A maybe-existant deity should not be the concern of people, lest they be distracted from the main issue at hand- one another.
Aha, but here's the problem. Suddenly you run out of steam as much as the god argument does. Why should people be the penultimate achievement of people? (Side note: penultimate and not ultimate? Well, either way.) What makes that any more inherently true than being concerned with a deity?

There are people who exploit religion for their own selfish purposes. And there are people who exploit the idea of helping others in the same way. There's no reason to throw out the good with the bad, in either case.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by 7 per day keep the doctor away.:

Ephesos: Lyrics are part of aesthetics. There are songs that would be damaged by having their lyrics turned into gibberish. There are songs that might benefit from lyrics. It just demand lyrics that aren't thrown in at the expense of the music. Then again, I dislike lyrics in general. Give me instrumentals or give me peace and quiet.

Helping people provides tangible good to people, and God approves. Helping God, as it were, doesn't help people and doesn't help God either, although He apparently likes it. When given a choice to help nobody or somebody, I'll take the latter.

I can see three divine qualities that need addressing: omnipotence (and omniscience, to some degree), benevolence, and ineffability. If God is omnipotent but not benevolent, well, that explains some things. If God is benevolent but not omnipotent, I feel sorry for him. God can't be both, though, unless he is also ineffable, as TM pointed out.

The problem with TM's logic is that it assumes we can understand what God wants or is doing. He could just be screwing with us or he could be helpless or incompetent, but he could also have some reason for the way things are that is entirely beyond our puny mortal minds.

No, I can't think of one, but that's because my mind is puny and mortal.

—Alorael, who can say to God that he lived his life in a reasonable approximation of how he believes God would want his life to be lived, although not in accordance with rewritten, translated, re-rewritten, and retranslated books that profess to speak for God. He'd just have to hope for some forgiveness for little errors here and there. Pedestrians come to mind. Fortunately, his God doesn't have any hellfire even for the truly awful people, so he's not terribly at risk either way.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
quote:

quote:
(Side note: penultimate and not ultimate? Well, either way.)
Yeah, I was hoping nobody would notice. Ah well.

quote:
Aha, but here's the problem. Suddenly you run out of steam as much as the god argument does. Why should people be the penultimate achievement of people? ... What makes that any more inherently true than being concerned with a deity?
I did not claim that morals do not exist. (I will address this for most of the post- just you wait.)

quote:
The problem with TM's logic is that it assumes we can understand what God wants or is doing. He could just be screwing with us or he could be helpless or incompetent, but he could also have some reason for the way things are that is entirely beyond our puny mortal minds.
If we don't know what god wants, why bother doing anything than what we're doing otherwise? Or rather- if we don't know, then isn't even mentioning it merely a rationalization?

----

To Slartucker's point:

I do not mean "ethics." I believe this merits a side tangent. It will be incredibly long and should hopefully address your (if I may be blunt) proto-postmodernist, liberal concerns.

Morality does not imply people coming together and determining right from wrong on the basis of people not wanting one another's rights to be violated. When society is founded on the assumption that people will always act upon their own desires, it is not unreasonable for society's members to follow their directives. (It is for this reason among many that I feel that Locke is an intolerable barbarian.)

People should come together since humanity is essentially an organism unto itself. Each human is defined by experience, the vast majority of which comes from other humans. People do not and cannot interact with one another without affecting one another. No human being can have an interaction with another human being that does not change the thoughts of both, if not subtly so. If people are not susceptible to outside influences at all times, books would not be written to anyone but children. (As an aside, one might argue that books aren't written to non-children anymore, but let's assume otherwise.) That this is being typed out in a language- a system designed for interpersonal communication- proves this to be true.

So in all things that humans do, be it interpersonal, literary, political or (especially) economic, humans are affecting one another constantly. When one individual decides to profit at another's expense in any sense of the word "profit," such an individual is encouraging those around her/him to act for their own self-interests. It's an ideology people make that generally tends to make some people more "wealthy" and others "poorer."

Unfortunately, this sort of ideology when applied on a larger scale ends up ruinating massive numbers of people. (Alas, most if not all people who read this will be in the population of "ruinators" when speaking of global capitalism.) But the ruinators don't win either: The "upper-class" are only defined by the extent to which they can't easily be taken down from their class and the extent to which they will collaborate with others in the "upper-class" to keep one another in such a state.

Furthermore, any relationship founded on such an ethic, be it business (the one used in my shamefully transparent allegory above), interpersonal, etc., ultimately betrays a sense of trust that the vast majority (if not all) of human beings possess.

Nobody is born as an adult, and all human beings need people to care for themselves before becoming "autonomous" or at least considering themselves to be so, since no human is ever truly autonomous in any sense of the word. People who live past infancy tend to have a sense of trust due to providers and caretakers: It is a necessity. (It is my hope that this point isn't particularly difficult to prove and I apologize if it's inadequate, but there's no easy way to prove that people are born with a sense of trust by any other means. Let me know if you take objection to this; I hope this isn't the place of contention for most.)

I won't insinuate that the upper-class are the primary sufferers in life or even that their sufferings are much of a priority, but they too are subject to the rules of the ideology they promote, and in actuality, they are far safer in an environment where they can trust all human beings to guarantee their well-being rather than living in their environment where any guarantees are only as stable as all parties involved desire.

Most people in the upper-class people can feasibly live their entire lives without stepping down from it, which itself is something of a tragedy. (Furthermore, it goes a long way in explaining why the current administration is populated with nothing but ideological sociopaths.)

Thus, a "liberal ethic" is defunct since it inevitably either descends into a transparent version of the same oppression it was made to fight (Identity vs. Difference if you're keeping score) or it undoes itself. Just as freedom is only as good as what its holders do with it and a republic is only as good as its leaders, so too does a contractual society either render its contracts obsolete or allow its upper-class to capitalize on the legal morass of its foundation.

This is, essentially, why I feel that people are ultimately the ultimate: People are creations of people, and therefore profit the most when keeping one another's best interests at heart.

----

Wow. Okay, I'm finished.

EDIT: Does anyone want to take this philosophical debate out of a topic about christian radio?

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
quote:

I think you’ve made some excellent points, TM.

I don’t see a greater God behind humanity. I see a great God expressing through and as humanity in a tightly-knit relationship. The difference is humanity is still in its spiritual childhood and hasn’t learned to put aside selfish and foolish things yet. I see it growing up though, as the law of life and growth demands. Children do grow up, and you can’t hurry the process.

quote:
Originally written by TM:

Any god who sees all and is all-powerful who doesn't immediately change the world for the better by ending the massive amounts of strife in it does not deserve my esteem.
How does one grow muscles if one never exercises against opposing forces? Does a wise parent want to raise weak, spoiled, passive, untried, ignorant children to grow up and take over the family business? Dad doesn’t fix everything for us as children and make it all better. It wouldn’t serve our interests or help us hack it as adults. He wants us to master ourselves and our environment and learn to get along with our siblings and learn how to esteem each other properly. We won’t fail ultimately though, because we are made out of the heart and nature of God at our deepest core, a place I think nothing can touch or displace. That is the claim and promise He has on us as His creation.

I think the point in loving God is that it can only truly be done in context of having some sort of personal experience/knowing of Him in relationship, rather than by knowing about Him. This is by definition an internal personal experience demonstrable to anyone else only by the manner in which it effects change in us and expresses outward from us, as us. God expresses as us, not as something moving in to possess us.

My understanding of man as God’s creation, is that there is something of the spirit of God in the core of man which is not corruptible, and it carries something of a sense, essence, desire, and purpose akin to the “will of God,” which really is just the expressed nature of God. This strives for expression and fulfillment in any of us, so I don’t care what someone has adopted as their belief system—there is still a connection with God by virtue of being His spiritual creation with His spiritual genetics.

I believe a man like Martin Luther King does what he does because he has connected with that spiritual nature and vision in some way. I see it as incidental to his intellectual belief system about God, because I don’t see God as being known by the head so much as by the spirit which is something even deeper. The head may be much more astray than the spirit/heart.

quote:
If it is the work of a higher force, then are you implying that humans aren't going to be the ones to save humans?
I am not. Much the opposite. God has chosen to express Himself—His character to physical creation through and as physical creation, which means us. The only God I ever see is witnessed in my fellow human being, and I see and hear God in people all the time. This has little to do with their belief about God or their perfectness. This is what makes me much akin to a humanist. The humanist has the attitude without the underlying reason to regard fellow man as he does. Both the reason and the attitude together is all the more potent and meaningful. Unlike the existentialists, with whom I also relate in numerous ways, I do see an inherent absolute meaning underlying our existence.

God has committed ultimate responsibility for the physical creation into our hands which is precisely why it is so important that we grow up spiritually to learn to wisely govern first ourselves and then the rest. We have to learn the principle of love which involves deference to our sisters and brothers and our differences. When I look at Muslim/East vs. Christian/the West at present, I see something like two children bickering over toys and rules. The toys and rules are going to get broken in the process. But it’s not about the toys or the rules in the long run, but they are of present concern to children until they outgrow them and put away childish things.

We, as the living agents of our Father will be the ones to save ourselves from ourselves because of the resources at our disposal through our connection to the Father and within ourselves as the offspring in the nature of the Father. How can we separate the two? The very nature of being human is to be of the divine family with its capacities as we grow into them. We can’t do it as independent children who have departed from the resources and protection of the Father. We have to learn to work as family.

If we seek to usurp authority which we are not yet mature enough to wield, Father does have ways to keep heady children from getting too far ahead of themselves. Children ruling anything is a frightening prospect. Fathers more and more relinquish discipline and persistant direction as children grow into capable adults.

quote:
Is humanity itself not enough of a goal for you? That itself is where I find objection with the notion of worshipping.
I see what you’re saying. My heart tells me humanity is my goal and worthy of all my love and concern. My spiritual experience and understanding furthermore give me the framework of why humanity is of intrinsic value and worthy of the work. Because I know God in my fellow human being, to love another person is showing love, deference, even “worship” to our Father. “As you have done it them, you have done it to Me” is the principle. “God” doesn’t need what we have to give. Our fellow man does, but that is the seat of God. God gets it after all.

I also have problems with the notion of worship as it is typically understood and practiced. God doesn’t need sycophantic, slathering adulations to validate Himself any more than a good father needs his son or daughter to bow down three times daily and say, “I praise thee for thy goodness and wisdom toward me. Oh how great thou art.” The father’s heart does desire close relationship, love, respect, and appreciation from the child. He also desires obedience to His instructions, appropriate to the age of the child. The father knows the rules are for the protection of the child, but the child chafes at the boundaries, seeing them only as something to get in the way of his self-centric desires and whims.

The rules and boundaries change and dissolve as we mature. It never was about the rules for their own sake. Maturity means being self-governed, and spiritually speaking, that means being ruled by a heart of love toward our fellow man. Some children get too hung up on rules and resist growing up into greater liberty and responsibility. There is safety in rules. There is safety in the crib too. I see the present state of Christianity as needing to get a move on and keep growing up. It’s pitched camp for a long time.

When we really really admire and love someone, we sometimes say we worship them. We talk about their merits. We seek to emulate them. We do a lot to be with them if we can. This is true worship from the heart, and that’s all I think God as a Father desires...to be adored sincerely for recognition of His qualities. And we are to see and celebrate them in each other, not as a concept out there. I think it does the heart of God good when I praise and admire and encourage and nurture and comfort and take delight in another person. We all desire to be loved and admired and appreciated by others. I think these three simple things are the most basic universal needs we each have, and where these are frustrated or denied is where we get unhealthy and hurtful.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
quote:

(Before I get into the post itself, allow me to say that GOD IS NOT MALE NOR FEMALE. Furthermore, if you ever claim that god is not a higher force, it is contrary to your point to capitalize "him" when you are using it as a pronoun.)

quote:
I see it growing up though, as the law of life and growth demands.
The notion of humanity is growing is as Hegelian as it is absurd. We've been regressing so steadily that it's mind-boggling.

quote:
How does one grow muscles if one never exercises against opposing forces?
How interesting- you start an argument about god with a statement on fighting people.

quote:
Does a wise parent want to raise weak, spoiled, passive, untried, ignorant children to grow up and take over the family business? Dad doesn’t fix everything for us as children and make it all better. It wouldn’t serve our interests or help us hack it as adults. He wants us to master ourselves and our environment and learn to get along with our siblings and learn how to esteem each other properly.
And you continue with capitalism as a raison d'être. Oh, fun.

I find the notion that you have to go through the gauntlet before you can "know good" to be nothing short of defeatist (or at worst, rationalizing) nonsense. For example, two scenarios:
1. A child touches a hot stove and is burned. A child knows not to touch a hot stove.
2. A child is told by a parent not to touch a hot stove so as to not get burned. A child knows not to touch a hot stove.
In both scenarios, the child knows not to touch a hot stove, yet in scenario (2), the child's hand is not burned.

Now if your argument is that you can't truly "understand" anything you have experienced, my counter-argument is this: How many people have killed themselves for sake of experiment? I have had my doubts about whether or not a three-story fall would kill me, but I have not ever taken the plunge. Information transmission is a possibility.

quote:
We won’t fail ultimately though, because we are made out of the heart and nature of God at our deepest core, a place I think nothing can touch or displace. That is the claim and promise He has on us as His creation.
I find your use of "I think" telling, although given the nature of your argument, I think it's implied. None of this gives me any reason to believe any of it.

quote:
I think the point in loving God is that it can only truly be done in context of having some sort of personal experience/knowing of Him in relationship, rather than by knowing about Him. This is by definition an internal personal experience demonstrable to anyone else only by the manner in which it effects change in us and expresses outward from us, as us. God expresses as us, not as something moving in to possess us.
So are you attributing all interpersonal communication to god? If so, this effectively counters your points about god not being a "greater force." If not, you still haven't given me anything more than "it exists just because." Or are you telling me that god is empathy? In which case, my response would be that empathy is better practiced than glorified (or, in your case, onanized).

quote:
My understanding of man as God’s creation, is that there is something of the spirit of God in the core of man which is not corruptible, and it carries something of a sense, essence, desire, and purpose akin to the “will of God,” which really is just the expressed nature of God. This strives for expression and fulfillment in any of us, so I don’t care what someone has adopted as their belief system—there is still a connection with God by virtue of being His spiritual creation with His spiritual genetics.

I believe a man like Martin Luther King does what he does because he has connected with that spiritual nature and vision in some way. I see it as incidental to his intellectual belief system about God, because I don’t see God as being known by the head so much as by the spirit which is something even deeper. The head may be much more astray than the spirit/heart.
So ultimately, you're saying that your god is essentially irrelevant to us on the level of whether or not we believe in him. The question I posed (and answered) in my previous post was, if it's ultimately vaccuous to us in our daily lives, what is the implication of believing in it?

My ultimate question is not "Does god exist," but rather, "regardless of whether it exists or not, why should I care?" If you state that god exists but is irrelevant or do not give any proof, not only do you create a barrier between believers and non-believers, but you also open the door for the notion that it is easier to posit something than to recall something.

quote:
I am not. Much the opposite. God has chosen to express Himself—His character to physical creation through and as physical creation, which means us. The only God I ever see is witnessed in my fellow human being, and I see and hear God in people all the time. This has little to do with their belief about God or their perfectness.
Then why call it god? If humanity is your god, then why not call it humanity? There's nothing short of a million implications of this. I've hit on a few already and could go on.

quote:
This is what makes me much akin to a humanist. The humanist has the attitude without the underlying reason to regard fellow man as he does. Both the reason and the attitude together is all the more potent and meaningful. Unlike the existentialists, with whom I also relate in numerous ways, I do see an inherent absolute meaning underlying our existence.
Dude. This isn't a philoso-religious seminar; if you're a something-ist, no need to point it out.

quote:
God has committed ultimate responsibility for the physical creation into our hands which is precisely why it is so important that we grow up spiritually to learn to wisely govern first ourselves and then the rest.
I'd ask "what is the spirit?" but I know for a fact that I would not get an answer.

quote:
We have to learn the principle of love which involves deference to our sisters and brothers and our differences. When I look at Muslim/East vs. Christian/the West at present, I see something like two children bickering over toys and rules. The toys and rules are going to get broken in the process. But it’s not about the toys or the rules in the long run, but they are of present concern to children until they outgrow them and put away childish things.
Um... That's nice, but what does this have to do with god? (If you're arguing that the Middle East struggles are strictly about theological disputes, I will laugh at you.)

quote:
We, as the living agents of our Father will be the ones to save ourselves from ourselves because of the resources at our disposal through our connection to the Father and within ourselves as the offspring in the nature of the Father. How can we separate the two?
Quite easily, given your rhetorical devotion to separating the two.

quote:
The very nature of being human is to be of the divine family with its capacities as we grow into them. We can’t do it as independent children who have departed from the resources and protection of the Father. We have to learn to work as family.
So He has Righteously Decapitated His Arm and Hoped for It to Turn into a Magnificent Bicep of Righteousness?

I'm sorry, but this nonsense gets me every time. Is the point of humanity to improve itself for some heavenly reunion? Is god training us by letting us massacre (I'm still trying to think of a word that implies more death here) ourselves left and right to "improve ourselves?" Why couldn't it have made us enlightened, if that was its intent from the get-go? The ultimate moral is that working has inherent value, and I know some capitalists who enjoy turning that moral into an ideology on a daily basis.

quote:
If we seek to usurp authority which we are not yet mature enough to wield, Father does have ways to keep heady children from getting too far ahead of themselves. Children ruling anything is a frightening prospect. Fathers more and more relinquish discipline and persistant direction as children grow into capable adults.
I do not even know what you mean here. Are you saying that we don't already have dominion over the world? Or are you implying that god punishes us for unrighteous behavior? (If that's the case, let me know now so I can hate you.) What's this "authority" that you mention, anyway?

quote:
I see what you’re saying. My heart tells me humanity is my goal and worthy of all my love and concern. My spiritual experience and understanding furthermore give me the framework of why humanity is of intrinsic value and worthy of the work. Because I know God in my fellow human being, to love another person is showing love, deference, even “worship” to our Father. “As you have done it them, you have done it to Me” is the principle. “God” doesn’t need what we have to give. Our fellow man does, but that is the seat of God. God gets it after all.
So you're saying that you use loving humanity as a way to love god by proxy? In that case, humanity is still not at the forefront!

Furthermore, the notion that the being you worship is truly autonomous is equally malificent- its moral is that to be god-like, you have to be totally independent. I know some capitalists who would like to hear this as well.

quote:
I also have problems with the notion of worship as it is typically understood and practiced. God doesn’t need sycophantic, slathering adulations to validate Himself any more than a good father needs his son or daughter to bow down three times daily and say, “I praise thee for thy goodness and wisdom toward me. Oh how great thou art.”
As much as this wasn't all that I was saying, I still want to see ben react to this.

quote:
The father’s heart does desire close relationship, love, respect, and appreciation from the child.
This counters your point of:
quote:
“God” doesn’t need what we have to give.
Or rather, if you're saying that god wants it but doesn't need it, then we're still ultimately irrelevant to him, countering your point that god isn't above us.

You have so many images of this deity; it's mind-boggling.

quote:
He also desires obedience to His instructions, appropriate to the age of the child. The father knows the rules are for the protection of the child, but the child chafes at the boundaries, seeing them only as something to get in the way of his self-centric desires and whims.
So now god is above us again. It's like a roller-coaster.

And, I guess- If the father knows the rules, why the hell doesn't he teach them? (This goes back to my "experience is not all enlightenment" point before.)

quote:
The rules and boundaries change and dissolve as we mature.
Nice way to cover up your god's mid-life crisis there, buddy.

quote:
It never was about the rules for their own sake. Maturity means being self-governed, and spiritually speaking, that means being ruled by a heart of love toward our fellow man. Some children get too hung up on rules and resist growing up into greater liberty and responsibility. There is safety in rules. There is safety in the crib too. I see the present state of Christianity as needing to get a move on and keep growing up. It’s pitched camp for a long time.
I don't even know what you're saying here or why it's even remotely relevant. But unless it'll open my eyes, don't bother.

quote:
When we really really admire and love someone, we sometimes say we worship them. We talk about their merits. We seek to emulate them. We do a lot to be with them if we can. This is true worship from the heart, and that’s all I think God as a Father desires...to be adored sincerely for recognition of His qualities.
THEN WHY BOTHER CALLING IT A GOD AT ALL?

quote:
And we are to see and celebrate them in each other, not as a concept out there.
!!!

quote:
I think it does the heart of God good when I praise and admire and encourage and nurture and comfort and take delight in another person. We all desire to be loved and admired and appreciated by others. I think these three simple things are the most basic universal needs we each have, and where these are frustrated or denied is where we get unhealthy and hurtful.
Okay. Good. But none of this comes even remotely close to answering my question! At least Ash, Giz, ben et al. have the Hitler-God who will obliterate me for kicks.

If this is all you have, stop with the seperatism. Stop with the emotionally-fueled yet intellectually bereft practice of spirituality. Becoming greater does not require turning into blue sparks upon dying. Becoming greater involves all of the things that your god wants, and yet none of the things that believing in your god provides.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

quote:

How does one grow muscles if one never exercises against opposing forces? Does a wise parent want to raise weak, spoiled, passive, untried, ignorant children to grow up and take over the family business? Dad doesn’t fix everything for us as children and make it all better. It wouldn’t serve our interests or help us hack it as adults
I agree that people can't grow much if everything is done for them. However, I also believe that people also can't grow much if if they die of starvation after a short life of hard labour due to forces out of their control. There is surely a middle ground.
(The argument that this is something humans can/should sort out is irrelevant, since the people who can do something about it not the people suffering. If I was a parent I wouldn't let some children die to prove a point to the others.)

quote:
When I look at Muslim/East vs. Christian/the West at present, I see something like two children bickering over toys and rules. The toys and rules are going to get broken in the process. But it’s not about the toys or the rules in the long run, but they are of present concern to children until they outgrow them and put away childish things.
I see a lot more than two people, and they're killing each other. It's not just toys and rules that are getting damaged here.

Also, I suspect that thinking of a society as an individual like that is both a drastic oversimplification, and the cause of a huge amount of conflict. Looking at it as East vs West or whatever ignores both the massive diversity of viewpoints within each group, and also hides the fact that the vast majority of concerns of the vast majority of people are family, friends and day-to-day living.
And without seeing a society as an individual, the common justification for ongoing conflict becomes "Someone who is not you killed someone who is not me, so I am justified in killing you". Worded like that, more people might realise how silly it is.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by So Incredibly Sad:

Synergy, I think I understand your position, having seen worse inferred from luke 17:21 and such…

quote:

I don’t see a greater God behind humanity. I see a great God expressing through and as humanity in a tightly-knit relationship. The difference is humanity is still in its spiritual childhood and hasn’t learned to put aside selfish and foolish things yet. I see it growing up though, as the law of life and growth demands. Children do grow up, and you can’t hurry the process.
Growing ? You will need to back that up for the discussion.
As a sidenote, you can hurry the process.

quote:

We won’t fail ultimately though, because we are made out of the heart and nature of God at our deepest core, a place I think nothing can touch or displace. That is the claim and promise He has on us as His creation.
And what if we aren't ? As for the rules and teaching, which source(s) should we favor ? Promises engage only those which believe in them.

quote:

From observation, three emotions drives humanity : lust, greed and hate. If that is anything like your "God" I will continue striving toward being a logical biological machinery.

quote:

I believe a man like Martin Luther King does what he does because he has connected with that spiritual nature and vision in some way.

Or perhaps because he wanted more (rights/comfort/…).

quote:

The very nature of being human is to be of the divine family with its capacities as we grow into them. We can’t do it as independent children who have departed from the resources and protection of the Father. We have to learn to work as family.
I am very strongly reminded of a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

quote:

If we seek to usurp authority which we are not yet mature enough to wield, Father does have ways to keep heady children from getting too far ahead of themselves.
Well, too bad he didn't used his ways before.

quote:

The father knows the rules are for the protection of the child, but the child chafes at the boundaries, seeing them only as something to get in the way of his self-centric desires and whims.
The child doesn't know the boundaries so how could it see them as an obstacle ?

quote:

We all desire to be loved and admired and appreciated by others.
Not all ascetics are hypocrits. That doesn't mean they are sane but it is a counter-example.

quote:

I think these three simple things are the most basic universal needs we each have, and where these are frustrated or denied is where we get unhealthy and hurtful.
Sorry, even Maslow seems more accurate to me.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #16
quote:

[b]
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:
If I was a parent I wouldn't let some children die to prove a point to the others.
Perhaps we are fixated on physical suffering and physical death as the worst (and permanent) experiences and fates to be had, and that nothing could make such suffering worthwhile. Is either actually true? The nature of God suggests it cannot be true or it negates the nature of Love, Wisdom, being a good Father, and many more things.

There is somewhere we are all heading toward through all of this wretchedness which is a much more hopeful and joyful and fulfilling end than we have yet known. The way this can be said with any surety is by knowing by experience something of the nature and faithfulness of God and believing the rest of His promises yet unfulfilled. But the promises aren’t even necessary when you come to understand what the character of love does.

I didn’t mean to negate any of the fine points you made about the diversity of peoples in both the east and west and practical nature of the conflicts. I agree with your points. There are many layers to pretty much anything, and I was painting the picture from a very general level. Maybe it wasn’t a good analogy.

quote:
Originally written by So Incredibly Sad:

Synergy, I think I understand your position, having seen worse inferred from luke 17:21 and such…
“nor shall they say, Lo, here; or lo, there; for lo, the reign (Kingdom) of God is within you.'

Are looking for an earthly kingdom with an earthly king as the Jews were, or a celestial valhalla in the sky as the Christians and Muslims anticipate? What good is the rule of God/Love if it is not first within us? If it is not within us, then it is the compulsion of an external law, as in the Old Testament, and we shall forever fall upon its blade.

quote:
Growing ? You will need to back that up for the discussion.
As a sidenote, you can hurry the process.

I mean that because humanity is growing in its spiritual experience and understanding, it doesn’t have to go back to a Mosaic law or earlier baby steps like black/white thinking and rewarder/punisher views of God which were instrumental in their time and served their purpose. I’m speaking from the Christian perspective primarily, because I am most acquainted with knowing God through it, but I don’t discount any other spiritual way God has communicated Himself to and in humanity in other times and places. I think everyone’s on to something, some part of the truth and knowing. The typical error is to assume someone’s something is to be everyone’s everything.

The natural world is seen to parallel spiritual principle and realities. We understand something of God’s role as “Father” by knowing earthly fathers. We know something of how spiritual growth is to proceed by observing the laws of natural growth. The universe is ordered this way to be specifically instrumental to our understanding of spiritual qualities invisibly behind all things. Things grow up according to the blueprint within them and the nurturing/nutrients to enable it.

[quote]
quote:

And what if we aren't ? As for the rules and teaching, which source(s) should we favor ? Promises engage only those which believe in them.

Well, the cool thing I know about God is He keeps His promises even when we don’t believe into them. He does stuff on behalf of His children ultimately despite themselves. Kids are immature, foolish, selfish, and wayward in so many ways. Any good parent does many good things on their behalf despite what the kid thinks or believes about any of it. God doesn’t expect us to act like more than kids while we’re still kids. Spiritually speaking, part of our immaturity has been imagining all kinds of false and simplistic things about Dad and why He does what He does.

As for what we are to follow, I could only say listen to your deepest heart and see where that leads. As for a stated law, we know it’s “Love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.” The rule is to be from within, and not from without by external law.

quote:
From observation, three emotions drives humanity : lust, greed and hate. If that is anything like your "God" I will continue striving toward being a logical biological machinery.
Do you see nothing of love and self-sacrifice in humanity? You don’t see our noble heights along with our deepest depths? Have you never known anyone who struck you with the kindness or gentleness or positiveness of their spirit?

[quote]
quote:

If we seek to usurp authority which we are not yet mature enough to wield, Father does have ways to keep heady children from getting too far ahead of themselves.
Well, too bad he didn't use his ways before.
[/quote]We have our bounds, even when they are invisible to us. The child knows his bounds when he runs into them. It usually hurts.

[quote]
quote:

We all desire to be loved and admired and appreciated by others.
Not all ascetics are hypocrits. That doesn't mean they are sane but it is a counter-example.
[/quote]I still say at the deepest core of being, the ascetist has an essence which requires these things for ultimate fulfillment of his being. It’s okay to be an ascetist and it has its rewards and virtues I’m sure. But the ascetist typically disparages the world to the degree that he has little interaction with human beings as well, and I’d say he’s not doing anyone much good remaining an ascetist for long.

[quote]
quote:

I think these three simple things are the most basic universal needs we each have, and where these are frustrated or denied is where we get unhealthy and hurtful.
Sorry, even Maslow seems more accurate to me.
[/quote]Maslow began with biological needs. I’m not talking about the human body. I’m talking about the human soul. What I stated is my own personal reduction. I don’t think anyone denies the need for love. The degree of care and acceptance communicated by touch alone to a baby greatly affects its physical and psychological well-being in development.

To be admired is another way of saying we have something worthwhile to offer in ourselves. It speaks to the humanistic idea of intrinsic human value, not based on performance but on mere quality. We all have something attractive and potent about us and desire to be acknowledged and valued for it. We might have to look deeper than we are accustomed or like to see it.

To be appreciated is to say not only do we have some capacity or quality that is worthwhile and beautiful, but that we have effectively done something helpful for others with our strengths. We’re designed to flourish when we learn to interconnect and give out of our talents on behalf of others.

I think every person has these needs and the potential for them to be fulfilled.[/b][/quote]

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:21: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
quote:

Dude, too much up there to read... From what I did manage to get through this early in the morning, well done, Prometheus.

I'm gonna go dance barefoot in a meadow now, happy with my morally strong atheism.

Until the police get me, bloody capital-centric conservative Christians.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #18
quote:

TM, to your post replying to me: I'm not sure I understand all of your logic. In fact, I'm sure some of it evades me. However, by and large, I agree with your conclusions in that post.

quote:
People who live past infancy tend to have a sense of trust due to providers and caretakers: It is a necessity. (It is my hope that this point isn't particularly difficult to prove...
*nod* certainly true. I just want to point out that the operative word is "tend to"; many people have this sense of trust violated and dismantled due to various forms of neglect, abuse, or victimization, either in childhood or in later life.

Synergy: I think theologizing the debate makes it much harder to come to a point of understanding.

(The following quotes are all from TM's reply to Synergy)
quote:
The notion of humanity is growing is as Hegelian as it is absurd. We've been regressing so steadily that it's mind-boggling.
Of course. But certainly growth and regression can take place side by side.

quote:
So He has Righteously Decapitated His Arm and Hoped for It to Turn into a Magnificent Bicep of Righteousness?
Quoted for making me laugh my ass off.

quote:
You have so many images of this deity; it's mind-boggling... It's like a roller-coaster.
But I think that's the point. I don't have the level of faith (philosophically, even) that Synergy appears to have. However, the point of religion is not that it's common sense and it's logically provable. The point is that it's not. "Credo quia absurdum," said Tertullian. Whether or not you like that justification for believing in God, it's a justification that logic can't touch.

(Synergy)
quote:
We all desire to be loved and admired and appreciated by others... I think these three simple things are the most basic universal needs...
Honestly, this does sound more like a description of an ENFJ than of humanity ;)

quote:
the paradigm shift that began when Christianity first spread. The ground typically has to be ploughed to plant new crops. I think it can be argued, that despite the horrible mixture and many offenses and harms that the institution of Christendom has inflicted in the world, it has also improved the lot of many over the last 2000 years
Paradigm shift??? The idea that Christianity is drastically different from from religions that predate it is an idea that obviously appeals to Christians. Many religions push similar ideas. I'm sorry, but that's a very subjective thing to say and I don't buy it. So is the argument Christendom has "improved the lot of many." The historical record simply doesn't support that. It's not as if other religions don't include the idea of charity. It's not as if the Romans/Saxons/whoever else were horrible savages before being Christianized, though that idea obviously appeals to some Christians.

Synergy, I think what you've forgotten to reiterate here, and what is making people jump on you, is that you are just stating your opinion, not presenting a logical case, and you don't expect everyone else to agree with you. At least I hope that's the case. If not, OY.

quote:
You shouldn’t until you do. When you do, you’ll know why, and I’ll be delighted to hear about it. I can’t tell you why, and yours will not look quite the same as mine anyway. It’s not based on merit. It largely has to do with just how many people are growing up in their spiritual maturity enough to get into gear more effectively expressing God
Do you have any idea how patronizing this sounds? It's awful, man. Particularly given that fully 50% of this massive page has become the Synergy Theology Manifesto...

I have to agree with TM that your spirituality appears to be "emotionally-fueled." There's nothing wrong with that... HOWEVER, trying to explain it using logic is not a good idea.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Synergy:

quote:
Children ruling anything is a frightening prospect.
Case in point: Lord of the Flies. Sure, it's fiction. But it's still good.

Originally by TM:
quote:
I find the notion that you have to go through the gauntlet before you can "know good" to be nothing short of defeatist (or at worst, rationalizing) nonsense. For example, two scenarios:
1. A child touches a hot stove and is burned. A child knows not to touch a hot stove.
2. A child is told by a parent not to touch a hot stove so as to not get burned. A child knows not to touch a hot stove.
In both scenarios, the child knows not to touch a hot stove, yet in scenario (2), the child's hand is not burned.
I'm not sure how often any good parent lets scenario one happen or the child lets scenario two happen (at least, not the first several times). I'm thinking there needs to be a third scenario.
3. Parents tell child not to touch a hot stove because it wil burn. Child grows curious, touches hot stove, and gets burned. Child realizes exactly what parent meant.

Dikiyoba asks you never to light fires on beaches and then just to cover the hot ashes with a light layer of sand. Stepping on it barefoot hurts.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #20
quote:

First observation:

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN. GOD IS NOT MALE. GOD IS NOT A FATHER BECAUSE IT IS NOT MALE. GOD IS NOT MALE. GOD IS NOT MALE.

====

From So Incredibly Sad:
quote:
I'm not sure if you're using this as hyperbole to counter Synergy; if so, I agree. If not, then consider yourself a victim of liberalism.

quote:
Perhaps we are fixated on physical suffering and physical death as the worst (and permanent) experiences and fates to be had, and that nothing could make such suffering worthwhile. Is either actually true?
1. Nobody said that physical pain is the worst type of pain. I used the "hand getting burned on a hot stove" example because it was easy.
2. YES. Nothing can make suffering worthwhile. Suffering is ultimately bad. It is suffering. Perhaps there are times when one person's suffering is superior to an alternate outcome, but it is already a loss when anyone has to suffer at all.

quote:
The nature of God suggests it cannot be true or it negates the nature of Love, Wisdom, being a good Father, and many more things.
If your notions of these rationalize suffering, then to hell with all of them.

I am not saying that suffering cannot be included in the best-case scenario quite often. All I'm saying is that if you ever see suffering as part of the good, then you're wrong.

quote:
There is somewhere we are all heading toward through all of this wretchedness which is a much more hopeful and joyful and fulfilling end than we have yet known.
You still had to back this up before, and you still have to back it up now.

quote:
The way this can be said with any surety is by knowing by experience something of the nature and faithfulness of God and believing the rest of His promises yet unfulfilled. But the promises aren’t even necessary when you come to understand what the character of love does.
This says absolutely nothing.

quote:
I mean that because humanity is growing in its spiritual experience and understanding, it doesn’t have to go back to a Mosaic law or earlier baby steps like black/white thinking and rewarder/punisher views of God which were instrumental in their time and served their purpose.
The Mosaic law? You mean that wretched and vile set of chauvinist, racist propaganda for the jewish male? It should have been burned before it was made. It was a mistake, now and forever.

quote:
I’m speaking from the Christian perspective primarily, because I am most acquainted with knowing God through it, but I don’t discount any other spiritual way God has communicated Himself to and in humanity in other times and places. I think everyone’s on to something, some part of the truth and knowing. The typical error is to assume someone’s something is to be everyone’s everything.
This is saying nothing (again).

quote:
The natural world is seen to parallel spiritual principle and realities.
So you're saying that it's a spiritual reality that it's okay for people to get massacred randomly? Or that it's somehow just for people all around the world to get butchered because of the mistakes of rich white folks?

quote:
We understand something of God’s role as “Father” by knowing earthly fathers. We know something of how spiritual growth is to proceed by observing the laws of natural growth. The universe is ordered this way to be specifically instrumental to our understanding of spiritual qualities invisibly behind all things. Things grow up according to the blueprint within them and the nurturing/nutrients to enable it.
So your argument is that we understand god by understanding the status quo? That makes a very good case for calling your "god" a cultural artifact more than anything else. Or are you arguing for some sort of "archetypal" understanding? (And let it be known that if I ever meet Plato's zombie, I will relish in mutilating it.)

quote:
Well, the cool thing I know about God is He keeps His promises even when we don’t believe into them.
I'm glad that your god has such a marvelous caveat.

quote:
He does stuff on behalf of His children ultimately despite themselves.
You know, you're doing an excellent job of contradicting your saying "god isn't above us" before. Good going.

quote:
Kids are immature, foolish, selfish, and wayward in so many ways. Any good parent does many good things on their behalf despite what the kid thinks or believes about any of it. God doesn’t expect us to act like more than kids while we’re still kids. Spiritually speaking, part of our immaturity has been imagining all kinds of false and simplistic things about Dad and why He does what He does.
So you're saying it's immature to imagine why your deity allows genocide?
If your god exists to discipline people, then there are countless million dead who sincerely wish that he might have been more prompt and decisive about it.

Your god is sounding more and more like a douche, by the way.

quote:
As for what we are to follow, I could only say listen to your deepest heart and see where that leads.
Onanism.

quote:
As for a stated law, we know it’s “Love God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.” The rule is to be from within, and not from without by external law.
But weren't you just getting done saying how humanity needed that barbaric and sub-human Mosaic law? You mean jewish hearts were spiritually defunct and didn't have the code of morality in them?

quote:
We have our bounds, even when they are invisible to us. The child knows his bounds when he runs into them. It usually hurts.
THEN THE CHILD SHOULD BE TOLD. TO AVOID THE PAIN.

quote:
It’s okay to be an ascetist and it has its rewards and virtues I’m sure.
I disagree so hard, it ain't even funny- they're founded on the notion that humanity just ain't good enough, and to that, I say- "and screw you too."

quote:
Of course. But certainly growth and regression can take place side by side.
Probably true. I just don't see that happening in the status quo.

quote:
But I think that's the point. I don't have the level of faith (philosophically, even) that Synergy appears to have.
Neither do I, and nor do I want to.

quote:
However, the point of religion is not that it's common sense and it's logically provable. The point is that it's not. "Credo quia absurdum," said Tertullian. Whether or not you like that justification for believing in God, it's a justification that logic can't touch.
A god that does not appeal to my sense of ration is not worth anything but my loathing.

quote:
It's not as if the Romans/Saxons/whoever else were horrible savages before being Christianized, though that idea obviously appeals to some Christians.
I disagree- the Romans/Saxons/etc. were horrible savages before being christianized, and continued to be horrible savages afterwards as well. (Horrible savages just like us.)

quote:
Do you have any idea how patronizing this sounds? It's awful, man. Particularly given that fully 50% of this massive page has become the Synergy Theology Manifesto...
The Synergy Theology Manifesto? More like Synergy's Evening with the Pastor.

quote:
I'm not sure how often any good parent lets scenario one happen or the child lets scenario two happen (at least, not the first several times). I'm thinking there needs to be a third scenario.
3. Parents tell child not to touch a hot stove because it wil burn. Child grows curious, touches hot stove, and gets burned. Child realizes exactly what parent meant.
Way to totally miss the point.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was told not to touch a hot stove, I did not touch a hot stove. I did touch a hot curling iron, but I did not know that it was not, nor was I ever told to not touch it. If the rest of you are so stupid that you need to get murdered to know that death is bad, let me know- I'll take pleasure in disembowling each of you in turn.

[ Sunday, February 19, 2006 15:24: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #21
quote:

Agh... this spiraled out of control faster than I'd anticipated. Well, this might be a freakishly long post as well...

EDIT: So it was... and I missed a quote tag.

quote:

quote:

In the event of a god, specifically the traditional christian one (omnipresent, -potent, and -benevolent), I think I'd be fine.
I wouldn't be. Any god who sees all and is all-powerful who doesn't immediately change the world for the better by ending the massive amounts of strife in it does not deserve my esteem.

This was meant in reference to the "what if I died and God interrogated me" question, not in general. I'm pretty sure that there's no omnipotent, -present, and -benevolent God, because otherwise there would be some sort of cosmic conflict between the major religions' gods (I mean, if it were true for Christianity, why not the rest?).

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Jeff could make money by turning this into a subscription service. Not all of it mind you, but this. Ever since the movie JackAss was released I've found it ever so amusing to see people running full tilt into brick walls.

But there is no excuse for 97.1 "The Fish."

Agreed on both points. And "97.1 The Fish" just brings Deliverance music to mind.

quote:

Is humanity itself not enough of a goal for you? That itself is where I find objection with the notion of worshipping. People should be the ultimate achievement of people. A maybe-existant deity should not be the concern of people, lest they be distracted from the main issue at hand- one another.
I wholeheartedly agree. And for the record, that may be one of the most actually inspiring things I've seen TM post.

quote:
Originally written by 7 per day keep the doctor away.:

Ephesos: Lyrics are part of aesthetics. There are songs that would be damaged by having their lyrics turned into gibberish. There are songs that might benefit from lyrics. It just demand lyrics that aren't thrown in at the expense of the music. Then again, I dislike lyrics in general. Give me instrumentals or give me peace and quiet.
I know that, and I didn't mean that most songs could benefit from removing lyrics. I just mean that there are some songs where the underlying melody is more important than the lyrics and vocals, and could probably stand alone. Not all songs, not most songs , but a few.

quote:

How does one grow muscles if one never exercises against opposing forces? Does a wise parent want to raise weak, spoiled, passive, untried, ignorant children to grow up and take over the family business? Dad doesn’t fix everything for us as children and make it all better. It wouldn’t serve our interests or help us hack it as adults. He wants us to master ourselves and our environment and learn to get along with our siblings and learn how to esteem each other properly. We won’t fail ultimately though,"
Uh... Khoth kinda pointed to this as well, but there's a difference between a god testing people's abilities and throwing millions upon millions of people into a game they can't possibly win at. As for mastering the environment... well, I won't get into that. That's another full freakin' topic for me. (Though I'd be interested to hear others' opinions)

quote:

When we really really admire and love someone, we sometimes say we worship them. We talk about their merits. We seek to emulate them. We do a lot to be with them if we can. This is true worship from the heart, and that’s all I think God as a Father desires...to be adored sincerely for recognition of His qualities.
I'm reminded of this quote from Fight Club: "You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

We can love a god all we want, but that doesn't mean that they love us back.

quote:

So, when are Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell gonna get theirs? I think a lot of us have been waiting for that one...

quote:

Well, the cool thing I know about God is He keeps His promises even when we don’t believe into them.
Examples would be nice... otherwise the argument is just so much smoke and mirrors.

This topic is somewhat painful, you know that? And just a little creepy... the full Synergy Theology Manifesto seems to be more than my unholy mind can comprehend. :P

I also wait anxiously to see the more right-wing neo-fundamentalist people to post...

quote:

I'm gonna go dance barefoot in a meadow now, happy with my morally strong atheism.
Seconded. :D

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
quote:

(Quotes from TM)
quote:
A god that does not appeal to my sense of ration is not worth anything but my loathing.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting here, but isn't this a little harsh? Okay, maybe said god wouldn't be worth your love and adulation. But the natural world doesn't always make sense to us -- even if science suggests that it follows logical rules on some underlying level. Do you hate anything you don't understand?

quote:
I disagree- the Romans/Saxons/etc. were horrible savages before being christianized, and continued to be horrible savages afterwards as well. (Horrible savages just like us.)
Okay, okay, good point.

(Ephesos)
quote:
because otherwise there would be some sort of cosmic conflict between the major religions' gods
What is this, Marvel Comics does Religion?

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #23
quote:

quote:

(Ephesos)
quote:
because otherwise there would be some sort of cosmic conflict between the major religions' gods
What is this, Marvel Comics does Religion?

Well, if Christianity's God is supposed to be real, why not the rest of them? Though, now that I look at it, I'm not sure how I arrived at that sentence.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
Promise me you'll never accuse another human soul of multiple posting. Seventeen seems to be our new record. :P

Anyway, though I haven't been following this argument in depth, I have been "skimming". One way to look at it is if there is no God, then we'll all just die and be gone. If there is a God, then we should obviously accept him into our hearts and get to heaven when we die. Either way, what have we got to lose, even if it means submitting our life to kindness and charity and refrain from socially obscene, ur, sinful behaviors. You can be a better person.

Anyway, threads like this should be formatted, published and sold at Wal-Mart. Maybe a forum fundraiser to buy more disk space. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

Pages