What would you do with a billion dollars?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What would you do with a billion dollars?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #25
...last time I heard, planes were a hell of a lot cheaper.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
I'm not sure a billion will go very far toward your time machine, TM. Even an ordinary particle accelerator can cost more than that.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
I'd buy administrative rights to this board and make slight changes to the CoC. Also more strict membership requirements. I'd probably give the balance to leftist guerilla groups to aid their fights for freedom. And since this is imaginary money, and it seems multiple people are wishing TM well with his time machine endeavor, I would help by using the "ends justify the means" clause in my moral code. That would make happiness.

*this message has been grinched*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #28
Time remains a stalwart foe,

No machine shall e'er o'erthrow.

I, for one, am glad that this is so,

Lest TM conspire to lay me low.

[ Sunday, December 18, 2005 20:44: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Akai Hoshi:

...last time I heard, planes were a hell of a lot cheaper.
Yet I prefer trains.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Time remains a stalwart foe,

No machine shall e'er o'erthrow.

I, for one, am glad that this is so,

Lest TM conspire to lay me low.

I will abort you with my well-endowed member.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by cAPSLOCKED dALLERDIN:

I would take a relatively small amount of the money for myself - about 10 million dollars. I would then donate 50% of the remainder to TM's time machine fund, 50% of the remainder to charity, 50% to Jeff on the condition that he fixes all the bugs in BoE and BoA, even the undiscovered ones, and 50% to Icshi in the hopes that he can used his Richard White-given reality-bending powers to make the whole equation work out to 100%.
-10,000,000 = 990,000,000 (Self)
-495,000,000 = 505,000,000 (TM, 50%)
-252,500,000 = 252,500,000 (Charity, 50%)
-126,250,000 = 126,250,000 (Jeff, 50%)
-63,125,000 = 63,125,000 (Icshi)
-------------
Do I get the remaining 63 million for telling you there is no need to use reality bending powers to make the numbers work out? :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Apprentice
Member # 5604
Profile #32
By the way, I made a typo when I said dollars I actually meant rupees, meaning you own exactly 2,217,591,495.69 U.S. Dollars. HA HA HA HA HA :D
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #33
Pay off my school loans, pay off my parents' house, buy my own house and fit it out (computer, furniture and all), and try to make a deal where I can pay all of my taxes at once.

After that I don't know.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #34
I'd donate quite a bunch of millions to Spiderweb (hey, who wouldn't ;) ), I'd donate to charities, I'd donate some to organizations researching cures for cancer, AIDS and other currently-incurable diseases, I'd travel around the world, I'd give enough money to all my family members so that they can live happily until they die without having to work or anything (and nothing for my 'friends', for that matter; they tend to backstab me and other people when it's convenient for them, so I don't hold much proximity with them anymore), and...I think I'd travel to the Moon, then I'd come back and organize a coup and take hold of the Chilean Government, moment after which I'd lead the Chilean nation to ultimate prosperity and happiness.

Yeah, that's it. I don't want much. >_>

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Saurion:

I'd donate quite a bunch of millions to Spiderweb (hey, who wouldn't ;) )
Me.

PS- I will be present at your birth.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
TM, you've made your point. Enough already.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Saurion:

then I'd come back and organize a coup and take hold of the Chilean Government, moment after which I'd lead the Chilean nation to ultimate prosperity and happiness.

That's happened a few times, no?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #38
At least.
And one of those times, the leader of the coup settled for being a mayor and stealing a communist leader's wife.

(I'm waiting for Thuryl or Imban on this one.)

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #39
i think I wouldn't have to say anything, and still people would know what i would do. i wont say it, unless people ask me too. this is for two reasons:

1) people like Spring will shout at me.

2) people like TM will shout at me.

Now you probably think: "yay! Why wont you say it then! Annoyinh TM is a GREAT thing!" Well, no. I'd rather keep peace.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #40
TM... this time machine (did nobody else notice?)...

If you are serious about this, you're telling people that you're going to kill them when they're already dead.

If you go back in time and kill them, they won't exist in this timezone, and so you're either talking to dead people (which are then answering you), or this time machine idea is one big joke...

What's more, if the time machine thing does/has/is happen/happened/happening, I won't be writing this piece of nonesense. Ergo, it's safe to assume you ain't gonna go back in time.

Edit: Typos. Which made my browser crash, hence the lateness of the clean-up.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 08:38: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #41
Well, that has happened quite a few times here. And all of them have been excellent, except for Carlos Ibáñez del Campo, who made the whole country enter a huge state of poverty.

But the rest, including my oh-so-dear-general-who-ordered-the-torture-and-persecution-of-many-people-including-my-own-dad-who-luckily-was-never-caught Augusto Pinochet (yeah, the CIA-backed coup? well, it had to be done, I guess...marxism was taking over and the economy was horrible), have done an excellent job in restoring the country. So, yeah, I'll be the next. As soon as our fragile monoexporting copper industry crumbles and collapses, I'll be there to lead my nation back to prosperity.

Yeah. I wish I was a politician. >.>

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #42
I would also like to add that, after getting rid of Bush and planting someone I could control in his place, I would go back to Chile and fund a paramilitary group to take down Saurion's regime and start a golden age for Chile under me, Overlord Nazgul.
PD: I am slightly disapointed to find out that there is actually an older spiderweb member from Chile in these boards. :P

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 12:01: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #43
I'm sure we've done all of this before. At any rate, I'd purchase a plot of land in Arizona or some such place, build a fortress along the lines of those of the Moghul emperors, including a large palace for myself and friends, a heavily-populated harem complex, with its occupants hand-picked by me, and a small auxiliary palace for my many ferrets. I'd also hire many, many servants, of course, to keep things up.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #44
Hey no one will virtually control my country as long i still be around here!!
But i don't like politic that much so i won't say anything about the chilean presidents, politic can be so boring some times...

Hey Saurion you are from chile too!!! I thought i was alone in this damn forums!! But you don't seem to be new...anyway i have never seen you.

En serio weon pensaba que yo era el unico que conocia los avernums en todo chile!!

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 12:06: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #45
Just spend money on a subliminal mind control device ,and have everyone do your bidding.

Much easier then having a a uprising then crushing everything.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 12:43: Message edited by: The Forgotten ]

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #46
Chicho, yo tambien soy chileno porsiaca (de Concepción). Pero estoy viviendo en Inglaterra.

The Forgotten, you are missing the whole point, the uprising and crushing part is the best!

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
Weon? Enlighten someone who would like to understand Spanish?

—Alorael, who can't believe he neglected to mention the $30 million that would have to be earmarked for skribbane purchases. A million is probably more than enough to cover all conceivable bullet and rifle maintenance expenditures.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

1) people like Spring will shout at me.
I never knew I was in league with TM. I wouldn't shout at you, though. We are on the internet.

Oh, and

quote:
Annoyinh TM is a GREAT thing!

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #49
I'd find meself some sparsely populated place (Scotland? Friesland? Kasachztan?) and buy a huge chunk of land, build a good-sized house on it with a full-blown old-fashioned library (one of thoose with galleries and ladders on wheels) and build a huge wall around it. (I so don't enjoy neighbours.)

Then, after making sure my friends and family are well-cared for, I'd spend my time anonymously helping other people with my money. I wouldn't want every Bob and Harry to come knocking at my door for money, so I wouldn't tell anyone who donated it.

Gosh, that sounds boring now.

Maybe I'd get trigger-happy and buy myself into the Jet-Set instead.

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!

Pages