What would you do with a billion dollars?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What would you do with a billion dollars?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

We are on the internet.
HA! HA! I am using THE INTERNET!

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #51
If I had a trillion dollars, I would buy the US.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 17:45: Message edited by: Polyester ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #52
Yes, yes, I am Chilean, and I love Spiderweb Software games with all my heart. :D

And for the above poster...how do you plan to pay off the public debt afterwards? >.>

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #53
if i had a bilion dollars id buy mints and gum

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by green kid:

I'm sorry, but that shows a depressing lack of creativity.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Saurion:

Yes, yes, I am Chilean, and I love Spiderweb Software games with all my heart. :D

And for the above poster...how do you plan to pay off the public debt afterwards? >.>

If the US can sit on it, so can I? :P

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Warrior
Member # 6368
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

fine... id buy a PSP, PS1, PS2, ps3, X box, X box360, ds system, Gameboy advance, a super computer, world of war craft acount, dark age of camelot acount, a new keyboard, a motor cycle, a BMX helmet, pliers to remove my braces, a tv with tivo and 900 channels, and id buy guild wars

--------------------
MMORPG developed by jagex ltd. Join RuneScape.com today!

hawk kings editor edited by me for geneforge 2
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000906#00 0000
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #57
I don't know the price of a motorcycle exactly, but the rest only comes out to a few thousand. You haven't spent even 1% of your money. Not even 1% of 1%!

Unless, of course, you mean a supercomputer and not just a superior personal computer. Those can be quite pricey to build and expensive to maintain.

—Alorael, who has an urge to see how many games of tic-tac-toe all of the Google server clusters can play per second. FLOPS can be replaced with TTTGS, which are not only less useful but impossible to pronounce!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #58
quote:
Originally written by Periodic Emotion:

I don't know the price of a motorcycle exactly, but the rest only comes out to a few thousand. You haven't spent even 1% of your money. Not even 1% of 1%!

Unless, of course, you mean a supercomputer and not just a superior personal computer.

Or if he meant to actually BUY the concept. One mass-producted hunk of time wasting plastic won't set you back very much, but to become the owner of those things, whatever they are, would cost the billion.

Why buy an example, when you can get the whole thing?

*this message sponsored by the royalties family*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #59
With a billion dollars, I would raze and rebuild the local high school from its current state as a low-lit cockroach paradise, buy a vibraphone, get a MiniCooper, add another story onto the house, and donate a hefty amount to the United Way, the Heifer Project, and epidemic and space/physics research. Then I'd buy Mount Washington, set up a wind farm, and live in a little tethered-down hut, equippied with only the barest necessities of life and something completely impractical, expensive, and really cool, like a combination cheesecake maker, life raft, and Hoover vaccuum cleaner, or something, just because I'd be rich and bloody well could. Atop the mountain, I would distribute electrical power and profound philosophical advice to the poor peasants on the steppes below.

The copious amounts of money left over would be stashed away for my Presidential Campaign in 2024, provided the Mayan predictions that the world will end on December 21st, 2012 don't come true.

Vote Thomas for President in 2024!

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 12:46: Message edited by: Robert the Fourth ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #60
quote:

quote:

quote:

fine... id buy a PSP, PS1, PS2, ps3, X box, X box360, ds system, Gameboy advance, a super computer, world of war craft acount, dark age of camelot acount, a new keyboard, a motor cycle, a BMX helmet, pliers to remove my braces, a tv with tivo and 900 channels, and id buy guild wars

You've missed my point... those are all just things. Things that anybody could buy. That's not creative.

Things like overthrowing the Chilean government and reorganizing Google's servers to play tic-tac-toe are creative. I mean honestly, come up with something outlandish before TM's time machine scheme comes together (though perhaps it already has, and there are just a lot of annoying people who never lived long enough to get to the boards).

An example of something creative: Construct a freakin' huge dartboard in the middle of Wyoming, and fund the new reality TV show Human Darts, where celebrity idiots skydive for valuable prizes. Simply put, they jump out of the plane and aim for the bullseye. In fact, that would also rid us of some particularly annoying people, as I could ensure that their parachutes fail to open.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #61
A better show would be putting everyone in a room in a plane with, say, five parachutes for ten people. A timer counts down as they're in the air, and when it reaches zero, the floor opens and everyone and everything falls out. Survivors are winners!

—Alorael, who might make it even more exciting by putting in 15 parachutes, five of which work, five of which are deliberately sabotaged, and five of which contain bombs that will go off a minute after the main timer. Then it can involve some desperate high-speed thinking, too. It would be like Cube in the air!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
quote:

though perhaps it already has, and there are just a lot of annoying people who never lived long enough to get to the boards.
We're the cream of the crop...

Also, on second thought I would like to use the money to build a super computer capable of artificial intelligence.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by An array cat:

Also, on second thought I would like to use the money to build a super computer capable of artificial intelligence.
I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Aran.

—Alorael, whose moniker is especially appropriate for this, and who chose the moniker before seeing the quoted post.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 15:34: Message edited by: Automated Posting Unit AL0-335 ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #64
I'd set aside however much I'd need to survive until the end of my natural life and use the rest to secure vital necessities for those without, and live free of the anguish living well as others suffer would leave on my conscience.

Either that or I'd get a really fast car. VROOOOOOOOOOOM!!

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 16:28: Message edited by: Belisarius ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #65
Me Id buy a large bit of land in Arizona and build a large underground fortification have ten million worth of weapons for close combat and fifty for large-scale warfare. i would buy a "super computer" or a computer that is fifty feet square and i would have every program for tracing destroying and other such things along with 500 gigs for games. including of course all spidweb's and other favorites such as unreal tournament and such whatever was left would be placed in various titanium steel vaults across the world buried 500 feet under the ground, along with land mines all around each having a small bomb shelter specifically made for me so that when society eventually crumbles around us i will still have food water and weapons for my own disposal, while i wait of course i will have a simple little safehouse in cleveland where i will pay all taxes all at once so i never pay again and 500 pounds of dried beef and bottled water along with my emergency 'jetpack' for a quick escape.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #66
Fast cars while nice tend to kill people.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #67
quote:
Originally written by Dead Polyester:

Uh... if TM was willing to let you use his time machine, I greatly doubt you'd need that much. After all, Louisiana went for only $15 *million*.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #68
In addition to what I've already said, I'd buy my own private island, a mansion built into the largest hill there, and some women to populate it with me. (No men, and I'm not sorry about it.)

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Jame2:

I'd buy ... some women
Go choke and die plz.

Still, one is curious where you intend to buy women in this day and age.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Dead Polyester:

China is doing that already. :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #71
Every time I see the title of this topic, I feel an inexplicable urge to append the phrase "earl-y in the morning".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #72
quote:
Originally written by Periodic Emotion:

Weon? Enlighten someone who would like to understand Spanish?

—Alorael, who can't believe he neglected to mention the $30 million that would have to be earmarked for skribbane purchases. A million is probably more than enough to cover all conceivable bullet and rifle maintenance expenditures.

Well, 'weon' is, originally, vulgar Chilean slang (although severely mispelled; it should be 'huevón')

However, nowadays, it has lost its meaning (due to the use and abuse of vulgar slang by the majority of the population), and now it's used for anything, practically.

"Oye weon, traeme las zapatillas!"
"Oye weon, te vamos a matar!"
"Hace tanto tiempo que no nos vemos, weon!"
"Aweonao!"

Etc. <.<

So it doesn't have a clear meaning in English, like many other Spanish slang stuff. It all depends on the context. ;)

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Every time I see the title of this topic, I feel an inexplicable urge to append the phrase "earl-y in the morning".
I just get the urge to sing "I'd buy you a fur coat... but not a real fur coat, that's cruel" and such. Just like on the last one of these...

quote:
Originally written by cAPSLOCKED dALLERDIN:

quote:
quote:
Originally written by Dead Polyester:[b]

Uh... if TM was willing to let you use his time machine, I greatly doubt you'd need that much. After all, Louisiana went for only $15 *million*.
[/b]
Well, following that string of logic, you might as well go back even further in time and buy the planet. The only problem would be explaining the value of your pieces of paper to everyone before somebody tries to kill you.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #74
You could also purchase gold in *this* time and use that instead.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages