Most intense gaming moment

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Most intense gaming moment
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #0
Mine:
There is a mission in Ace Combat 5 where you are supposed to escape from the enemy, "8492".
Let me quote some FAQ:
quote:
Now, if you're good, I mean really good, talking 'Ace of Aces' good, or just
plain crazy, you CAN take on the 8492nd. It IS possible, given enough skill
and luck to take them out, and if you manage to shoot down enough of them
(I think 12. I'm not sure. So far, I've only attempted this plan once. I was
in the X-02 and I STILL had trouble taking them on), the mission will end
successfully, but I don't reccomend it. Better to just run...
Well, I killed them with an A-10, and if you know planes, you know that the A-10 is not a dog fighter, I have never ever been so much on the edge of my seat...

Now you go!

--------------------
33111-CRUSADER-4849
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #1
5 minutes ago, playing the 'Night of a Million Zombies' map on Half-Life 2. Turned on god mode (hehehe), and sat on top of one of the ammo spawns. I killed over 1600 of them (it keeps track) before I turned off god mode and let them kill me. It was very fun, and intense. Dead zombies everywhere! Well, dead-er zombies.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 12:38: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #2
Playing a survival VR mission in Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance as Metal Gear 1 Solid Snake. You were given little ammo for your guns and enemies could deflect your bullets. Some foes carried shotguns that killed you in one hit. Never did beat that mission. Real intense fighting, but the end boss killed me in the end.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
There are many, but I'd have to settle on a clan finals match of TFC (mod for Half-Life 1). One in particular, on the map Dustbowl. Some crazy attack-and-defending going on.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Playing LegoRacing. :P

No, not really. Probably a time on TimeSplitters2 where I had to kill this big beast. That was good.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #5
Whenever I fight a new boss.

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Hmmm. The last time I really was getting almost a heart attck, was when my F-16 was shot down by some Mig.

BTW, the A-10 is one of my favorite aircraft.

IMAGE(http://www.a-10.org/photos/Photos77444/011024_01.jpg)

I like it because of the elegantly placed engines and the soft roaring noise of the canon when shooting at a tank, and the engine roars and gear squeeking when touching the runway after a brilliant mission, after which you got shot down by some stupid mig.

The F-18 also is a quite beautiful aicraft:

IMAGE(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-18-ef-usnhornt-s.jpg)

The positioning of the tail is what I like best, the slightly bending down of the tail, if you see what i mean.

But anyway, we were discussing something else here. (But you noticed by now, I suspect, that I like aircraft)

EDIT:
Now I think of it, a long time ago I really could handle the A-10, but slowly by slowly I'm forgetting it. Pity. once I could shoot down quite a few migs at once.

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 23:41: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #7
Playing Total Annihilation with 8 enemies and 1 ally. I just stood in a corner on my island, built up ressources, built thousands of planes and went in with about 20 planes to kill the enemy chief (when you kill the chief the whole side goes down). I got all 8 enemys with the loss of only 50 planes out of 500! And I got my khighest TA score ever.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #8
Holding off three rushing armies with a Bloodmage and four footmen for a whole ten minutes, in a 3v3 LAN game of Warcraft III of course. In the end, all three armies made it to my base, only to get owned by mortar teams barricaded by front of my base :D

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
My most intense gaming moment ever would be while I was entering the Fortress in the Mechanical Age in MYST. I was literally shaking with a mixture of creepy uneasiness and anticipation. That was almost exactly 10 years ago.

Even E3 didn't live up to that, although it came close a couple of times - in the same situations, ie. entering some dark, unknown dungeon of unspeakable power or evil. Combat comes as a cathartic relief in that ominous, tense atmosphere.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 06:49: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #10
The most intense, eh...

Perhaps the time I battled Sa-Matra with an Utwig Jugger, and won. Or the time I fought Metroid Prime core form in hard mode with only 3 energy tanks left. Or when I battled Ganondorf the first time in OoT master quest.

Memories, sweet memories...

EDIT: Tpyos

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 07:20: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
Now I think of it, although it isn't really the most intense gaming moment, I always got very scared upon entering that tower in Avernum 3, that's at the beach. Where you eventually find the entry to the Slime pit. I really hate that background sound. In the mean time i got over it, though.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Ah yes. The background sounds in GF and A3 did a lot to add to the atmosphere. That "whispering" that was always in the Undead dungeons was creepy...

But I find it weird that everyone here lists some kind of battle as their most intense moment - doesn't virtual combat get repetitive after a while?

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 08:28: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #13
Not if it's different all the time.
For example, fighting the invisible monsters in FarCry was very different than fighting the Striders (50 foot tall monstrosities that can only be taken down with exlosives) in Half-Life 2, and both battles were fun.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 11:01: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's
Everybody should go to this site at least once.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

But I find it weird that everyone here lists some kind of battle as their most intense moment - doesn't virtual combat get repetitive after a while?
Ordinary combat gets repetitive after a while. Being one hit away from death when you haven't saved in ages never gets old. (Roguelikes are especially good at maintaining that kind of tension, for obvious reasons.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I savescum without apology. ADOM has made me so paranoid that I often back up my save file before walking around a corner. :P

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
You don't know what you're missing.

Really, you don't. I used to play that way too, but making it to XP level 47 and a depth of 3500' before dying in OAngband was more satisfying than the time I managed to win by extensive cheating.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #17
The first time I defeated the last Boss in Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link. After so many hours, after so many failures, I finally broke through and won the game! I was on cloud nine for weeks. That was so long ago... I miss being a kid.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Escape Velocity, destroying the Alien Cruiser without the forklift in a Lightning.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

My most intense gaming moment ever would be while I was entering the Fortress in the Mechanical Age in MYST. I was literally shaking with a mixture of creepy uneasiness and anticipation. That was almost exactly 10 years ago.
"No! No! West is TINK, not BWOING!"
Good times.

Anyways, my most intense gaming moment'd have to be...The third boss in Samidare, where it is extremely difficult to dodge it's attacks. I'mma upload a pic of it later.

Edit:

IMAGE(http://www.willcate.com/bill/images/ohshi--.jpg)

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 19:20: Message edited by: Hope you got 10bux ]

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
Oddly enough, mine might also be from EV (Nova). Possibly the last mission in the Polaris storyline... very intense.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
The second to last Zerg mission in Starcraft (not Brood War), where you have to bring the crystal to the Protoss temple. Holding off the Protoss forces for the required period of time was very overwhelming. Especially when that Arbiter zipped by and froze my Guardians in the stasis field, and I had to rely on the paltry few Hydralisks and sunken colonies for defense during the last few seconds.

A close call would be the last mission in Battlezone, where you have to destroy that Fury rocket ship in a short period of time. Believe it or not, in the last few seconds my tank was destroyed and I had to finish off the rocket with just my little pea-shooter! My roommates and I were ecstatic with amazed disbelief.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
I play with Angband edit files shamelessly. While there really is something in facing a dracolich with one purple dot left in its health bar when you're down to 20 life, getting killed by something breathing from offscreen for the 332nd time just gets old. (I regard Roguelikes as very similar to Tetris and Solitaire in many ways, and I feel no compunction about changing the rules to the latter either.)

—Alorael, who can't think of many gaming moments that he'd describe as intense unless they involve other humans. The sudden sound of everyone getting another bite in NetFungus when everyone has monster bites and important sections only three blocks wide is priceless, though. It's enough to make you start taking monster bites out of furniture, actually.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #23
My memory isn't good enough to pinpoint a single most intense gaming moment, but it must've happened either in Starcraft, Ares, or one of the Escape Velocity games. I remember taking down one of those huge carriers in the original EV with a far weaker ship; it took quite a while, but by the end I got frustrated and just charged right in at it. Definitely the most satisfying explosion I've ever caused. In Ares, I remember taking the last enemy planet with a single ship remaining just as the majority of their rather large fleet descended on my homeworld. Starcraft... man... one time in a battle.net game I came back from literally one building and, with the help of a friend, got back on my feet in time to destroy the faction that had almost destroyed me. That was a good feeling.

Great topic, by the way, Sauron.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Escape Velocity, destroying the Alien Cruiser without the forklift in a Lightning.
Amen, brother!

Pages