what instrument do YOU play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what instrument do YOU play?
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #50
I used to play the french horn. I stopped though because of increasing school work.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by ef:

To Slp006: My sister has spastic problems too. She is playing a small lyra that does wonders for her muscle coordination. Would something like that be an option for you?
Maybe! I'll look into it. Thanks!

EDIT: If you could, please tell me more about it. There are many lyres available online.

EDIT #2: Thanks again. I'll see what it can do... or at least, what I can do with it.

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 06:15: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #52
Viva le piano! I'm also a percussionist and a bit of a vocalist, and I intend to take up the cello and the bass guitar if I can scrounge up the money for the latter and convince my high school music teachers to teach me the former.

Slp006 - What about brass instruments with few keys - trumpet, french horn, tuba? They're mostly dependent on the lips, from what I've heard. I've forgotten how to play the harmonica, but you might want to look into that, too - if I'm not mistaken, it's all about lips. If those don't work out and you still feel the need to produce music yourself, I'd consider voice lessons. It's wonderful to have an instrument you can carry anywhere without even thinking about it. Singing may be egocentric, but I can't see how it's more so than playing any other instrument. You're bending your own body to your will rather than another object, and sometimes that kind of self-dependence and self-control is really nice. As much as I love playing the piano, I must say I get more enjoyment out of a capella singing. Especially when you sing harmony, you're augmenting the music of others rather than just trying to make yourself sound good.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #53
I play the guitar; both classical and electric, and I've been told I have quite a knack for it.

This is a picture of my electric, a Fender 60s Classic.
IMAGE(http://media.zzounds.com/media/feed/large/FEN131000.jpg)
I can't find one of my classical
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #54
IMAGE(http://www.lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Cowbells/images/LP-bongo-cowbell.jpg)

"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #55
I had to retire from a promising music career when my gf complained about the racket. I was in a trio. I would start singing, and then the dogs would join in, then the neighbor's dog would try to make it a quartet. It ended in tears when she played back a secret recording and I discovered that I SUCKED. The dogs recently went on to sign with Geffen.

*this message sponsored by the RIAA, always looking out for the little guy*
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

What about on the way to work? :P
I listen to the radio.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #57
quote:
If you could, please tell me more about it. There are many lyres available online.
I would have to check her instrument. As she's on vacation right now, this will have to wait. She has a round lyra, that much I know. Meanwhile maybe you check this site. It has a fine english section and you'll find pics of all types available with descriptions and recommendations.
http://www.leier.de/

My sister is not only physically, she is also mentally handicapped. Granted, she has a rare musical talent. Nevertheless, if she can play this instrument, you can play it too.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 22:19: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

You know what instrument I don't hear much of? The oboe.

that actually doesn't surprise me. there are I think, not many people who play it. Its the same with the trombone.
I've thought many times about having the french horn as a second instrument. that will be in about 10 years or so, if it will happen. The horn and trombone are almost always the leading instruments in my compositions. I soembody would want to hear a bit of it, download printmusic from the site a mentioned in one of my earlier posts. Gieve me your email, so I can send one of my pieces to you.

i didn't see many people playing here on a horn or trumpet or trombone. that surprised me a bt, because especially the trumpet tends to be rather popular. There also quite a few people who play violin.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #59
I was a trombonist for a few years. I eventually stopped when I was 14 or 15 when I lost the instrument and didn't enjoy it enough to get a new one. Which is probably a good thing, as whilst at the time that I left it on the bus I was finally getting tall enough to use it and stand up normally at the same time, I was still tone-deaf and congenitally incapable of keeping in tune.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #60
Back in fifth grade I attempted to learn how to play the trumpet. I had limited success, but being a small, weak kid, I couldn't really manage to hold the instrument level for any length of time. It would slowly drop to my lap, at which point I would be forced to painstakingly raise it back up. After a few weeks of this, I gave up the trumpet, and shortly began taking harmonium lessons.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #61
I lost interest in the violin for roughly the same reason - the combination of neck discomfort and wrist curling similarly limited my success.

The trombone's not all that uncommon, but I've heard that the oboe can be very uncomfortable to play. It doesn't exactly produce the sweetest sound, either, which contributes to its unpopularity. Actually, I'm surprised at the number of french horn players here - it's not an extremely common instrument. It's a beautiful one, though, when played well. Nowhere near as versatile as the piano, though...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #62
Cello, piano(I fake it), bowed psaltery(sp?), harmonica, penny whistle, I sing, and my dad just started teaching me guitar. Oh, and I also know three notes on trombone. My family is
very musical.

EDIT: forgot an instrument

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 16:28: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #63
Clarinet, and then only in school. But it is rather fun, and I get to go on more field trips that way. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

I also know three notes on trombone.
You have to start somewhere... Does anybody in your family play trombone?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #65
Three notes on the trombone? Are you really too lazy to move the slide at all? :P

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #66
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

I also know three notes on trombone.
You have to start somewhere... Does anybody in your family play trombone?

My aunt used to, but quit before I was born. I only know three notes because right after I started my free lessons at public school, I decided to be homeschooled again and I haven't had time to go to lessons once we found a place.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #67
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

It would slowly drop to my lap, at which point I would be forced to painstakingly raise it back up.
Wow. I just realized the unfortunate phrasing here. At least I got to it before anyone else pointed it out. :P

Although I haven't done much of anything musical since I stopped taking harmonium lessons and dropped out of choir (back in high school, in both cases) the majority of my friends are still musicians, of varying degrees of seriousness. I've got two trombonists and an oboist among my pals, and quite a few other instruments as well.

An oboe can be quite pleasant in an orchestra setting, but it doesn't really mesh well with rock and roll. The trombone, on the other hand, can easily find its place in rock music. Have you ever listened to the band Chicago?

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #68
Now i haven't, I didn't know it existed... I did listen to the brass section of the chicago philarmonic orchestra (or was it the symphonic orchestra).

EDIT:
I have such good news for everybody who is interested! (mainly for myself :) :) ) I just got a knew trombone! Its brand is Holton, which is american, its sounds wonderful and has 1 1/4 valve. I'm so proud of it! :) ;) :P :rolleyes:

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 08:05: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #69
Awesome! I hope it's as good as it sounds. But... knew?

The trombone can indeed be a nice addition to a rock band, especially a ska band. The oboe can be pleasant in an orchestra setting, true, but not as a solo instrument. It produces the kind of sound that's best left in the background, in my opinion.

Stuggie, you might want to get that checked... :P

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Awesome! I hope it's as good as it sounds. But... knew?
I write to fast. i know. Then you get this stupid mistakes, like knew, or abot (about) and the like.
Its not that i cant spell or something.

EDIT:
If you listen to some symphnies, you'lle soon discover the oboe is maily usen as solo instrument. That's, in my opinion, the only thing its actually for. Its tone is not really the right one for background.

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 08:56: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #71
October by Eric Whitacre, anyone? Huge oboe solo.

The oboe is a solo instrument, through and through. It can actually be a very beautiful thing if played well. But then again, that isn't very common.

I play bari sax.

--------------------
Not a signature
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #72
I've heard oboe-piano and oboe-flute duets, and both combinations sounded quite nice. Not really my favorite type of sound, though, and classical music isn't quite my thing anyway.

Thralni, Chicago isn't the only band that has utilized horns, including trombone, extensively. Horn-powered rock was especially popular in the seventies, with bands like Chicago, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Blood, Sweat & Tears gaining great commercial and critical success. As I thoroughly enjoy horns but dislike the improvisational jamming replete in jazz, such bands are often my only means of obtaining a much-needed horns fix.

And as I stated earlier, David, that condition only lasted for a few weeks. As soon as I gave up that trumpet, I was right as rain. :P

--------------------
Stughalf

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Thralni, Chicago isn't the only band that has utilized horns, including trombone, extensively. Horn-powered rock was especially popular in the seventies, with bands like Chicago, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Blood, Sweat & Tears gaining great commercial and critical success. As I thoroughly enjoy horns but dislike the improvisational jamming replete in jazz, such bands are often my only means of obtaining a much-needed horns fix.

I hardly ever listen to pop or rock. I actually don't listen to anuthing modern, only to classical musin. So therefor I don't have a real understanding on that. About classical music you can ask me almost anything.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #74
I think the oboe is actually a very beautiful instument when played well. It has a very pure, higher pitched sound, but doesn't sound as whiney the way that a violin can.

Of course, I dated an oboist once, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Stug, you should totally check out the accordian - it's more portable than a harmonium, and has a much wider range. Plus, think of all the "They Might Be Giants" covers to be played! ;)

Pages