Why would you go and do a thing like that?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why would you go and do a thing like that?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
I've geeked around since high school, D&D and all that junk, so I've kind of an idea why I gravitated to text based RPG's. Even though the Exile and Avernum series have graphics, I still think of them more as text.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has spent time thinking why they like these silly games enough to spend time on a internet forum talking about them? It seems really silly actually, but I guarantee that I'll be here tomorrow (admin willing.)

So, why here? Why not in some other type of game?

*this message sponsored by the GIA, a supersecret agency*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Came to forum to talk about RPGs, got hooked on talking on the forum about everything but the kitchen sink, stayed here and quit RPGs. This is, after all, fun. :P

Just so you'd get a reply...

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
I got drawn in by the arena and stayed by virtue of the community (and drama). I could never up and leave and sever all ties.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Well, why not? If you've got time to kill, something like this is about the best you can do.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #4
I have floated in and out and back in again. I got involved with the community and enjoy the commaradare. First time around I was only here for hints to the games. Don't think I stepped many a foot in general at all. This time I found good company. I doubt I will ever leave barring my own death or the end of the world as we know it.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
Boredom.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #6
A combination of the aforementioned boredom and an utter enjoyment of the worlds created by Spiderweb.

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 18:53: Message edited by: Grendel ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
Came for the games, stayed for the good people. Most people here are intelligent and have a good sense of humor. I like the community feel, and the way everyone relates to one another.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
Originally: I was bored at work and this board was a fun place to waste some time and to procrastinate during school year.
Currently, because there are people here who were glad to see me after 2 years of absence.

As for the type of game, I mainly play games for their story. (I know that books have better stories, but I like the interactivity, ability to "win", etc.) And Spidweb games provide some of the best stories I've seen, combined with good game mechanics.

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 19:31: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #9
I think most of us came for the game. I stayed at the beginning because I had time to kill, but then I found several interesting and smart people. Besides, the topics are pretty good (though I create 90% of them), and is always amazing to find out most member's view on some topics.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #10
My answer is pretty much the same as Jewels of the Forest. I came here a few years ago just for hints on the games and returned maybe 3 weeks ago and got hooked on the general forum.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #11
I first found the forum when I came here to ask if there was something hidden in a particular area in Geneforge that I hadn't found yet. However, I left after I learned the answer to my question, although I did look at general, the only non game-related topic I noticed/read was a debate on the tsunami. I don't like debates, so because I noticed that topic and not another, I didn't stay. Months later, I checked out the forum again while I was bored, either when I was looking at everything at spiderwebsoftware.com, or because I remembered that this place has more to it than people asking for help about games.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #12
I think I searched, got a few questions answered, asked a few. Answered a few questions, such as this...

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
Huh. I had resigned this topic to a peaceful and anonymous death. Thanks for the answers, although they certainly weren't what I expected. Perhaps my question sucked. I'll try to rephrase, although you should feel free to ignore it and respond as to the weather.

Why a role playing game set in a "new/unsettled" area? I'm sure there are other types of games on the market, but we choose this for our devotion.

I personally like this junk because it is a world created for me to change for the better. My actions or inactions do have an impact on the world around me, and my actions are generally relied upon for positive social change. This is in direct contrast to the real world, where my function is more or less irrelevent. Not because of some misplaced sense of low self esteem, but because there is no capacity in the real world for the same type of positive social impact to be made by one person.

After re-reading this, I've noticed that I may be perceived as having a low esteem for society. I feel no need to edit this.

*this message sponsored by legal fireworks, redefining suck with every fizzle*
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #14
quote:
Why a role playing game set in a "new/unsettled" area?
I got the Exile 1 demo on a CD, back in 1996 or something, not quite sure. The phantasy and imagination I saw lovingly displayed thrilled me, even more, when I found out that the author had a website, that there were more games of this type, and that he planned to make a living out of this. Someone striving to make an almost impossible dream come true, that's certainly someone I feel drawn to. Nethergate appeared, and I adored it.

Since then, I'd made it a habit to check the site and look for something new. The Avernums came, oh well, then Geneforge - I'm telling myself that it is never easy to find a balance between imagination and the type of thing that will sell, and you have to live and eat, so I will watch and wait and be patient.

Forums appeared that I read occasionally. Somewhen I jumped into an ongoing discussion on impulse, I had to register to do that, and that was that then. I got myself entangled in an RP, and never having done anything of that kind before, and being a bit out of touch with the english language, I strove to be up to the challenge. Well, I've learned a few things. :P

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #15
Same.. I found Exile 1 on a shareware disc & followed the trail to this site. Have to admit I have never played D&D, watched the movie, but thats as close as I have got. :(

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #16
If your revised question is 'Why are you devoted to Spiderweb games?' I'd say I'm not. The FREE demos got me interested, the storylines and gameplay eventually convinced me to register, but the community is what keeps me here.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #17
I came here because I was a member at the Lyceum, because it was the hub for BoE at the time and the denizens were worth hanging around. It started and was a big event in the community, so we all took a look.

I'm back now because I've just finished my exams and I returned during them because this place is marginally more exciting than revision.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
I came here for BoA, which I like because I like making scenarios. I haven't really tried other things but I don't think I'd like them. I found the AT pretty engrossing and wanted to continue to work with that general interface.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
I like Spiderweb games because they lack all the bells and whistles that waste time and drive me crazy in fancier games. They're more fun than most games I could spend twice as much money on.

I like finding new things in a new world, but you don't need an Exile/Avernum game for that. Virtually every RPG includes a hefty dose of exploration, settled or not.

—Alorael, who came to the forums because he was bored, returned the forums because he was on the rebound from a set of forums that died, and stayed for the pie.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
I like Spiderweb games because they're fun, I found them, and they work on most computers great and small.

And the storyline and gameplay is very good also.

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 13:49: Message edited by: ben III ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #21
Spiderweb games are innovative, yet simple. The gameplay is solid and you know what you're doing five minutes or less after launching the app. Avernum games are fun because they are very reminiscient of text-based games. I always thought the lack of animations to be a positive defining characteristic of the series; a kind of trademark to show that thought and plot are more important than pretty in Avernum. Geneforge caters to the wacky geneticist side of me. Creating an army of dragons and beholders (a.k.a. Eyebeasts, how Jeff got away with this I don't know) with magical manipulations of creature genomes to burn away the evils of the world is great fun.

I came to the forums to check for any edited scripts or secrets I had overlooked in GF3. I discovered a very well-developed community of Spiderwebbers, and decided it would enrich my day-to-day affairs by staying present. It's not large enough to become a spam-fest, but not small enough to stagnate. Plus, the average intelligence of a Spiderweb member seems to be much higher than the world average, as others have stated. I never have to regularly shield my eyes from posts such as "Wh3re b da Superweapon thingy - i cant find it nowheres" like you might see on forums for Neverwinter Nights or Blizzard games.

Oh, and I'm a Mac user, and SW caters to us, which makes me happy. I also usually only play RPGs–– experiencing a great story is always better to me than "kill random sprite over and over while jumping on platforms or going from one stage to another just like it in style with a different background." SW games are about the story, and deserve my money.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
The games are great. Although I have only played the Exile Trilogy as well as Geneforge 1, I still find them very addictive. I signed up because I was having trouble wtih E3, and stayed for the...forum.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #23
I see that my story is the same as all the others. Came across game (Exile 3 in my case), found website, took a look at forums, stayed because I like the community. It really is a rather unique community from I've seen.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #24
Aye. I found the game, I found the website, I posted for help, I read the rest, I came, I saw, I posted viciously, because I was bored. Then I found other things to do. Then I came back, because I was bored. Rather vicious cycle.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio

Pages