Books Being Made Into Movies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Books Being Made Into Movies
Apprentice
Member # 5959
Profile #0
I've noticed that a lot of books over the past few years have been being made into movies. What are your opinions on this? Bring up what you thought of certain movies or whatever you want.
Personally, most of the movies I've seen, while they were good, were not true to the book, and I felt I would have enjoyed them more if I had read the book after seeing the movie. Some of them, though, were bad no matter how I looked at them.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
Well, some Books just aren't meant to be made into Movies, but I must admit that they did a very good Job with the Lord of the Rings movies, even though they skipped entire chunks of teh books out!

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #2
Although the book called "Enemy at the gates" did well as a film. Enemy at the gates is a book written by a historican who spoke with Alexei Tsajtzov's old flame from 1943 when Stalingrad was attacked by Germans.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Apprentice
Member # 5881
Profile #3
I think it is awesome to see movies being based on book ideas. However I must disapprove for editing the characters' backgrounds heavily.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #4
From my experience, movies made from books can be good, but they are never better than the book. I can't think of any exceptions to this rule, although some have come close.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #5
Eagle: a) I have no idea who this Alexei Tjatchskov you spoke of is. You're thinking of Vassily Zaitsev. And the year would be '42.
b) I have read Enemy at the Gates. It is a big non-fiction book. The episodes around which the movie is built take up perhaps 20 pages of the book and are heavily fleshed out with imaginary details or replaced with pure fiction. The bit just before the German sniper shoots the man jumping across a gap? Where the victim raises his helmet to get the the German to fire? In reality he did so, the German officer stuck his head up and Zaitsev shot him through it.

This rather shows why filming non-fiction books is going to be contentious.

As far as I can see, a book is no worse a start for an idea than a screenplay. The problem is that when you read a book you really like which is being filmed, you know almost every little change is going to irritate you. There are some books that I absolutely loved that I would simply rather not see filmed, because odds on they'd be transformed into a commercially productive vehicle that would horrify any fans of the original format.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by He Who Is Not Imban:

From my experience, movies made from books can be good, but they are never better than the book. I can't think of any exceptions to this rule, although some have come close.
The Shawshank Redemption is an often-quoted example, though I haven't read the novella myself.

The LOTR movies were really good, despite a few glaring flaws. I have great hope for the Narnia films.

One of my favourite movies is To End All Wars, and I've been keeping an eye out for the book for a while to see how much of it was true.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
I still want to see The Iliad faithfully recreated on film.

That "Troy" crap was hideous.

I also have high hopes for "War of the Worlds", but they may yet be crushed.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

I still want to see The Iliad faithfully recreated on film.

That "Troy" crap was hideous.

I also have high hopes for "War of the Worlds", but they may yet be crushed.

I know, what were they thinking when they made "troy"?. that movie was horrible, i feel sorry for the author of the book.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
Given that he's been dead for a long, long time, I doubt that an adaptation of his work in a language he wouldn't have understood to a medium he would never have imagined made the slightest difference to him one way or the other.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Well, he must be tired from all that rolling over in his grave, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
He's supposed to have been blind, anyway.

How do we know this, though?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #12
There are two types of book-based movies:

1. The kind that uses book's name only for marketing purposes and has very little connection to the book. Most movies fall into this category. It sounds like the "Troy" movie you are talking about is one of them.

2. Massive epics that faithfully recreate the book. These things tend to be very long and have enormous budgets. Best examples are LotR and Russian version of War and Peace (a 6-hour long movie with a cast of great actors, battle scenes involving thousands of people, very good costumes, etc.) Even these movies can't fully recreate every detail from the books they are based on, but they tend to be pretty close overall.

EDIT: 4 people posted while I was typing this! I didn't realize this topic is so active.

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 15:40: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Given that he's been dead for a long, long time, I doubt that an adaptation of his work in a language he wouldn't have understood to a medium he would never have imagined made the slightest difference to him one way or the other.
I know, but i doubt he would've wanted his work to turn into "Troy", Starring Brad Pitt
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
Never speak-... er, type... those words again! Brad Pitt, Shmad Pitt.

While we're on Homer, an epic version (a la LOTR) of The Odyssey would be great.

In fact, I think I've found a new career move for Peter Jackson.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Hasn't that been done before?

I'd like to see GRR. Martin's "Ice and Fire" series as a movie.

Oh, and by the way, have you heard of that ridiculous adaptation of "Howl's Moving Castle"? After the trailer, I'm not going to see that. They don't even mention D.W. Jones as the book's author save for a tiny acknowledgement at the end of the credits. :rolleyes:

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 22:15: Message edited by: 2984 ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
The Harry Potter movies will never be as good as the books. I just don't think that Dan Radcliffe is the right Harry. Speaking of the movie....it comes out in November. Can't wait!

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
I dunno, I reckon the film version could only improve on the train wreck that was Order of the Phoenix.

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 22:41: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
I should of been more specific...the movie coming out this year is for the Goblet of Fire.

OotP (Order of the Phoenix), in my opinion, was not a train wreck. I enjoyed it immensely.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #19
I am tempted to say that is because there is not much to ruin in the Harry Potter series. <_<

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #20
I'm aware that this year's movie is Goblet of Fire. I'm even looking forward to it.

I disliked Phoenix because it was pointless. Really, what happened? They dealt with annoying bureaucracy. A major character got offed for no particular reason. Harry was all angsty. And the big reveal that was built up to all through the book was fantastically lame. After Goblet of Fire, I expected there to be a whole new tone to the remaining books. But we don't get war or anything like that, we get an irritating teacher. It's just really anticlimactic.

EDIT: The earlier books were pretty good. Not exactly classic literature, but entertaining.

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 22:58: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #21
There have been many theories concerning war in the HP books ( this is a good example ), and the death was for a 'reason that will be revealed in HBP,' according to JK.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #22
Who cares? I don't want theories or promises, I just want an entertaining book, and one that's full of disappointments ain't very entertaining.

I'm hoping that what happened when she sketched out the plotline for the series she found she had more books left to go than she had stories for, so she just packed a bunch of filler into Phoenix and the the last two books will go back to being good.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
I'm still a little peeved at her for blatantly ripping off Roald Dahl's writing style and ideas.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #24
At least Voldemort's plan in the Order of the Phoenix wasn't as painfully stupid as the one in Goblet of Fire, which made me almost feel sorry for him.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link

Pages