Books Being Made Into Movies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Books Being Made Into Movies
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #50
About a Boy is a darn good movie. And it has Zoo Station on the soundtrack. :)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

quote:
Originally written by An Upright stranger:

I disagree, I'm gonna mention that About A Boy is better than it's book. But, how many of you have even heard of this movie or read the book?
I'd dismiss it as a chick flick, but that would be a grievous insult to women.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean :confused: .

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #52
What I meant is that the movie seemed designed to appeal to the man-hating variety of woman, considering the transformation of the Hugh Grant character during the course of the movie. He starts out clearly in the cookie-cutter stereotype of the solitary bachelor, a player and user who dislikes children and lives a dissipated, lonely life.

Then, of course, along comes the right woman to reform the hopeless sod, turning him into the sort of sensitive, subservient family man that the target demographic would likely view as the male ideal. Despite the fact that very few woman would be interested in such a man in the slightest.

I don't see how a man or sensible woman couldn't find such a film insulting.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 06:37: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
The movie has Hugh Grant in it. I'm not really sure what else you were expecting.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #54
Ha, yeah. But Stug, it's less about the right woman turning Hugh into a desireable person. It's more about Hugh becoming a more social person with real relationships, which is more because of Marcus.

Where did you get the "male ideal" part from? He is depicted as having problems, and throughout the movie he works out his social problems, but he isn't perfect at the end.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 17:30: Message edited by: An Upright stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #55
Agreed. It's much more about him changing as a result of his relationship with Marcus than because of any woman. And he changes from "self-centered prick who only cares about himself" to "guy who's willing to embarass himself for someone else's sake". It's got nothing to do with what a woman's ideal bloke is, it's just him becoming a better person.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #56
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Agreed. It's much more about him changing as a result of his relationship with Marcus than because of any woman. And he changes from "self-centered prick who only cares about himself" to "guy who's willing to embarass himself for someone else's sake". It's got nothing to do with what a woman's ideal bloke is, it's just him becoming a better person.
Hm... Do you not think that "guy who's willing to embarass himself for someone else's sake" is more of a woman's ideal bloke than "self-centered prick who only cares about himself"?

Just checking...

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #57
I personally liked Mystic River which was based on a book bye the same name. As for The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. I feel as though you need to read the book to understand all three movies.

--------------------
"I am Batman". Batman.

"No one could touch me, I was Escobars Guy"

George Jung-Blow.

"Dare to disturb the Universe". The Chocolate War.

There is nothing sadder Than wasted Talent.

Lorenzo, A Bronx Tale.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #58
quote:
Originally written by An Upright stranger:

Ha, yeah. But Stug, it's less about the right woman turning Hugh into a desireable person. It's more about Hugh becoming a more social person with real relationships, which is more because of Marcus.
Okay, perhaps I don't remember this movie as well as I thought I did. At any rate, as the plot hasn't managed to stick in my head, it can't have been too memorable.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #59
Yeah, it isn't a change-your-life movie.

I think Mystic River is over-rated. There are a few unanswered questions at the end, false or incorrect portrayals of the characters from the books and a couple odd moments. Plus Clint wrote a terrible score for the movie.
I say it's not as good as the book.

EDIT: Oh, Nick Hornby (who wrote About A Boy) wrote High Fidelity. I like this movie a lot, so I read the book, and the movie is very different. I like the movie more, but as it is subjective I don't think that this can be used as an example of a movie better than it's book.

[ Saturday, June 18, 2005 17:07: Message edited by: An Upright stranger ]

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Hm... Do you not think that "guy who's willing to embarass himself for someone else's sake" is more of a woman's ideal bloke than "self-centered prick who only cares about himself"?

Just checking...

Loaded question. :P While becoming a better person would tend to also mean becoming closer to a woman's (or anyone's) ideal, that is not specifically what the movie is about. Compare About A Boy with The Taming of the Shrew.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.

Pages