Global Warming or Global Cooling

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Global Warming or Global Cooling
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Which is going to kill us off first?
Global cooling or Global warming?

At this rate we're probably going to see an ice age before Global Warming really matters. However, I want to know what you think on the subject.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=bBRjILOQKpmq"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=bBRjILOQKpmq"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #1
Neither, I bet Bush's goverment is gonna kill us first.

ps. But if we gotta stick with the two options i would have to go with Global warming.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
Neither, but I had to vote, so I picked global warming. The press are making such a big deal out of it, so hey, it must be true. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #3
Considering we have to wait on the scales of tens or hundreds of thousands of years for anythinig too significant to happen, I sure hope we will have learned how to alter the climate to stop those kinds of things by then! :cool:

At any rate, by then my cyborg body will be living in a massive battle station ready to destroy the puny Earthlings anyway, so it won't really matter.

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
I'm probably mistaken, but wouldn't severe global warming trigger another ice age?

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #5
quote:
I'm probably mistaken, but wouldn't severe global warming trigger another ice age?

More proof that that movie needs to be scoured from history.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
I read it somewhere before the movie came out.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #7
Global warming will melt the ice caps, therefore ruining my town(I am just above Tasmania, Australia). I'll be dead anyway, so it doesn't matter. Looooooong dead.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Not me. I live at 4,500 feet. :P

But man, us? I doubt neither will kill us. But in the future and with improved technology that doesn't require burning fossil fuels, teh next ice age will come before we're boiled up.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #9
Nuclear and coaldioxid have to be reduced. Once in the time when no livesform could live on earth the radiation and coaldioxid was high rated. Due to our useage of oil and nuclear, the radiation level and coaldioxid rate have increased and thereby the earth has gone to a enviorment stage that is more similiar to the old times, which of course is not good. Why does all these bad things exist then? Simply, it's because someone earns on it. War, enviroment abuse and many other problems would cease to exist if there were nothing to gain on it.

People should toy with the nature only on games. :(

Protect nature!

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 17:31: Message edited by: Eagle, the author soul ]

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #10
Fun fact: no matter where you live, global warming will ruin your life. Raising temperatures 2-3 degrees will cause massive crop failures, reduce the food supply well below demand, and so forth.

The kind of increase we're probably going to see in our livetimes - 5-10 degrees - would not cause another Ice Age, but certainly another Dark Age. Being incapable of raising enough food to feed everyone without wanton tyranny is going to do a lot of unpleasant stuff to the kind of life you probably enjoy now.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #11
I vote something will kill us all off long before either of those strike, and as an interesting side note:

Nothing humanity could ever do, short of setting off all the nuclear weapons in the world at a single point to "attempt" to knock it off orbit, rip a large chunck out of it, or knock the moon into it could ever really harm the planet.

Nuclear holocaust, Global warming, biological agents, anything we're capable of doing short of physical alteration of the earth's mass or orbit itself won't do a damn thing to the planet in the long run, after we're gone, it will regenerate itself and life will start over, even if that period of regeneration is billions of years.

but hey, whats that to a planet?

[ Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:51: Message edited by: Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder ^.^ ]

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder ^.^:

Nothing humanity could ever do, short of setting off all the nuclear weapons in the world at a single point to "attempt" to knock it off orbit, rip a large chunck out of it, or knock the moon into it could ever really harm the planet.
We could also sear everything down to bedrock and, hey, there's still a ball of rock and dirt floating through space! All right! As a more meaningful measure, I think mass genocide and forcing evolution into entirely new paths are both measures of doing a fair job of ruining the planet.

—Alorael, who supposes it's speciesist of him to mean "humans on Earth" much of the time when he says "Earth." Although presumably almost all species will undergo starvation, radical habitat shift, or other unpleasant things while the humans starve.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #13
We'll have a nice cooling off period when India, China, Pakistan and portions of the middle east go to war in about 20 years over water supplies. There will be plenty atomic dust to cool things down.

Then we'll have fun with a disarmed world police state.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #14
Global warming will cause methane clathrates to melt, and more methane in the athmosphere means more warmth which means more methane will be freed means more warmth which means...

And it will go on like this until nature finds a new state of balance, or we do something which reverses the process.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

Nuclear and coaldioxid have to be reduced. Once in the time when no livesform could live on earth the radiation and coaldioxid was high rated. Due to our useage of oil and nuclear, the radiation level and coaldioxid rate have increased and thereby the earth has gone to a enviorment stage that is more similiar to the old times, which of course is not good. Why does all these bad things exist then? Simply, it's because someone earns on it. War, enviroment abuse and many other problems would cease to exist if there were nothing to gain on it.

People should toy with the nature only on games. :(

Protect nature!

I've never heard of coaldioxid before, I suspect you mean carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. The exact impact of this substance on global climate has yet to be truly substantiated.

As far as radiation increase from nuclear power, um, under normal operation a coal plant emits more radioactivity into the environment than a nuclear plant does. Although high level radioactive waste is produced, the volume is quite small and is easily contained and kept out of the environment.

Even with nuclear weapons testing, the natural background on average has increased less than 1%. For scale, no negative health effects have been observed below about 200 times natural background. In fact, people in slightly higher radiation zones appear to be healthier on average than those in lower radiation zones.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #16
I agree Marlenny.

I disagree 4.808 x 10^3, Bush will not give funding to technology advances. Reminder: Bush is 'in' with the oil companies (drilling in Alaska!) He doesn't want to risk losing any money from the oil companies by developing new technologies that wll replace them.

Another reminder: Being president is the lowest paying job that bush has ever had.

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out my GF 1, 2 and 3 Helper!
Ceck out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #17
quote:
Fun fact: no matter where you live, global warming will ruin your life. Raising temperatures 2-3 degrees will cause massive crop failures, reduce the food supply well below demand, and so forth.

quote:

Global warming will cause methane clathrates to melt, and more methane in the athmosphere means more warmth which means more methane will be freed means more warmth which means...

Fun fact: When dinosaurs were around, global tempratures were way the hell more than 3 degrees hotter! :) IIRC, something >10 degrees, even. The world was also a very nice, tropical paradise :cool: . Maybe not the whole world, but it was nice out. The continents were also all much closer to the equator, then, too.

quote:
As far as radiation increase from nuclear power, um, under normal operation a coal plant emits more radioactivity into the environment than a nuclear plant does. Although high level radioactive waste is produced, the volume is quite small and is easily contained and kept out of the environment.

Even with nuclear weapons testing, the natural background on average has increased less than 1%. For scale, no negative health effects have been observed below about 200 times natural background. In fact, people in slightly higher radiation zones appear to be healthier on average than those in lower radiation zones.

Yes, exactly!!!

quote:
I disagree 4.808 x 10^3, Bush will not give funding to technology advances. Reminder: Bush is 'in' with the oil companies (drilling in Alaska!) He doesn't want to risk losing any money from the oil companies by developing new technologies that wll replace them.
Oh, yes, 'in' with them, he's in an evil plot to destroy us all, blah, blah, blah... grow up. The world is way more complicated than that! In this country, and in every other first world one, no one can stop someone from developing some new amazing technology that can replace oil, there's a reason literally every university in the world who can is working on this!!!

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Oh, yes, 'in' with them, he's in an evil plot to destroy us all, blah, blah, blah... grow up. The world is way more complicated than that! In this country, and in every other first world one, no one can stop someone from developing some new amazing technology that can replace oil, there's a reason literally every university in the world who can is working on this!!!

"The world is way more complicated than that" is a tired line, and it is especially ironic since it is also used by those who like to overly simplify the world. :rolleyes:

If Bush does not want a new technology to be developed, you can bet there won't. He is already scratching research and education funding in all kinds of places. We're going to see a general dumbing down of the average population soon.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #19
I think global dumbing will kill us off long before the other two.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder ^.^:

Nuclear holocaust, Global warming, biological agents, anything we're capable of doing short of physical alteration of the earth's mass or orbit itself won't do a damn thing to the planet in the long run, after we're gone, it will regenerate itself and life will start over, even if that period of regeneration is billions of years.

Allow me to point out that the only thing keeping the atmosphere and current temperature of the Earth is the plant and animal life. Without plants, Earth would probably be another version of Venus and be engulfed in carbon and sulfur dioxide that let's practically no radiation out. But we do have plants so thank goodness for that. :P

Why, of course Bush wants to mine oil out of Alaska. It's there for the taking, and it's a lot better than having it shipped from foreign countries. Oh, and environmental disturbances my eye. :D

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #21
Keep in mind that the Anwar oil reserves are far from proven. Most prudent geologists estimate only a 1/3 chance of even finding any oil there. We need more robust energy sources.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
The only way to prove one way or another is to drill a hole...

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by 4.808 x 10^3:

The only way to prove one way or another is to drill a hole...
Perhaps, even though there are less intrusive ways of doing it. The actual amount of oil projected in the area is quite small relative to US oil demand. Is it really worth the economic and environmental risk? Either way, you have to justify your answer quantitatively.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

[QB]
quote:

quote:

Fun fact: When dinosaurs were around, global tempratures were way the hell more than 3 degrees hotter! :) IIRC, something >10 degrees, even. The world was also a very nice, tropical paradise :cool: . Maybe not the whole world, but it was nice out. The continents were also all much closer to the equator, then, too.

They were aproximately 16 degrees higher, yes. But altough that was good for dinosaurs, that would be a hell to humans. Imagine that there's 25 degrees warm in summer here in Finland. Now imagine it would be 41 degrees. Human being can survive in such temperatures for a while if it is dry enough and he has a stable supply of food and water. However, if it's too humid humans are boiled alive (think of being in sauna 24 : 7. Not nice), and if it's too dry we certainly won't have a stable supply of food and water, as nothing grows in the soil.

Oh, and by the way, the world of dinosaurs was a tropical paradise only for a quarter of a year. The rest of the year it was barren desert, just like Sahara is novadays.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.

Pages