Karma and Bush, and also the WTC

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Karma and Bush, and also the WTC
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #50
I have better karma than Bush or Kerry ever did and I didn't even do anything at all. :P I wonder if Bush likes video games... Maybe he plays Americas Army at night. I know Colin Powell was a big fan of Harpoon the ship battle game. :o

Things are not going to get better in Iraq. The constitution of Iraq is almost the same as when the British took over Iraq in the 1920s. It led to thirty years of rebellion, and an eventual military dictatorship. Hopefully, we will get someone else other than Bush in office who will sit down and put together something that is a little bit more workable.

The oil companies are already screaming about the ethanol provisions in the energy bill. There will be 10% ethanol in the next six years. I think Bush will not be able to push through the coal provisions. Coal is the #1 source of mercury pollution in the United States, over 40% of the mercury in the environment comes from coal. There is already screaming about mercury in fish-- which ultimately can be traced back to coal power plants. Also recent studies show that coal power plants are a major source of developmental disabilities in children. This is not refuted.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7218182/

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:23: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #51
And to think that this all started with a question about Karma.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

It's still all about Karma. It's about Bush's Karma. I mean, is he an Evil Priest :D , or a Saint? :mad:

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

quote:

It's still all about Karma. It's about Bush's Karma. I mean, is he an Evil Priest :D , or a Saint? :mad:

- Archmagi Micael

heyyyy. I'm an evil priest too and I don't like being compared to Bush.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #54
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

quote:

- Archmagi Micael

heyyyy. I'm an evil priest too and I don't like being compared to Bush.

It's not my fault you're an evil priest!

- Archmagi Micael

P.S. At this rate, it'll be spamming. Lets let the Bushies discuss this :D

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #55
Ben, do you know that coal power releases more life-threatening radiation than nuclear power?

http://www.ornl.gov/info/ornlreview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html

There. A government-certified source for you.

"Oh, well I guess we can rule that one out because it polluted with fish-killing radioactive waste but mostly because Bush supports it."
That's still not an argument in support of coal and you know it. Misinformed political flippancy is not amusing.

"And for many years, not one new nuclear power plant has opened. Not one. I'm guessing that atmospheric pollution with greenhouse gases is preferable to radioactive waste. Am I correct?"

http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/factsheets/doeymp0337.shtml
(Another .gov site! I'm on a roll.)

No you aren't. Even the dreaded Yucca Mountain (which, admittedly, is a bad idea because it is on top of a volcano) only adds 600 mrem. Radiation is only extremely dangerous when your pasty, white skin is unprotected in the sun, or when you do something really stupid like eat uranium.

In fact, this sort of "Not in my backyard" ignorance has prevented us from opening up new nuclear power plants and axing off this OPEC stagflation.

"And then we can get to global warming. Obviously, it will not be long before we turn the Earth into another Venus and wipe off life from the face of the Earth. [Roll Eyes] While global warming is a fact, I think it is often an overrated fact."

I'm glad YOU think so. Any sources?

See, the majour sources of this sort of thinking tend to be corporate whores.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524861.500

And I can't imagine that the polar ice caps disappearing is a GOOD thing.
http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/qthinice.asp

So CLEARLY, our government wouldn't lie to us about this.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=201062

Because this is obviously so minute as to not be of our concern.
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/earth/mg18524861.400

"Evidence shows that the Earth is in a natural warming phase through the interglacial period after the last ice age. Does pollution speed this up? Yes. Enough to permanently change the Earth's climate and kill people on a 'massive scale'? No."

Good call! As you can see, when you look at our warming and cooling schedule, we're right on track.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/archive/2486/24861403.jpg

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #56
First of all, as a scientist, I can say that nuclear power is completely safe when politicians and "interest" groups keep themselves out of it. When people do things like say "nooo, anything with the word NUCLEAR in it is EVIL!!!!" then things all go to hell, money gets taken away from programs, and we get stuck with nuclear waste and no money to deal with it, and we have to change all of our NMR machines to MRIs! The only reason nuclear power isn't supported is because it has the word nuclear in it, if it was called "happy magical unicorn power" no one would have a problem with it.

If you want to talk about pollution, look at third world countries that pollute insane amounts, due to absolutely no regulations on anything they do. And yes, international laws do not apply when you live in a crappy 3rd world country no one cares (or knows) about.

If you want to talk about global warming, let me mention this. Watch the local weather on TV, and write down how accurate they are. Now remember that they're only that accurate because of statistics, not because they are bad-ass weather modelers. If they just relied on dynamical computer simulations, trying to numerically solve equations, we could not predict the weather two days in advance. In fact, we don't even *understand* the dynamical equations that describe these things. If you ever talk to someone who claims we do, tell him to collect his million dollars.

Also, consider how climate varies in general, ice age->warmer->warmer->really hot. We just got out of an ice age. It isn't as hot now as it has been at some points in the past. Connect the dots. And don't try to tell me it's getting too hot too fast for that to be true, because we do not have climatological records over millions of years with a resolution of months. That would be insane.

As to people claiming we’re in Iraq for oil, come on. Just admit you are wrong. That’s what people have been claiming since we first mentioned Iraq. Have we set up American companies to give us all the oil? No. Have we set up puppet corporations to do it? No. The Iraqis are in charge of their oil, and they can do what they want with it. That’s what a democracy does! And please, if we really wanted oil, it would be so much easier for us to go up into Alaska and get the billions of barrels of oil there, or to go to Russia and nicely ask if our companies can help them out with drilling in Siberia in exchange for x% of the oil they get.

And another thing about Iraq, why do people expect it to magically instantly become a perfect country? Has anyone ever taken a history class? After World War 2, did Japan instantly become the world’s favorite manufacturer of electronics? No! It took 40 years for that to happen! And Japan had an existing infrastructure to build off of! Iraq doesn’t! How anyone expects Iraq to magically become a model state in a matter of months is totally beyond me!

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by An Upright stranger:

I'm only across the ditch and I don't really know about Mr. Howard, maybe someone can elaborate?

Spring?

Oh, and what about this Corby crap?

Corby was busted trying to smuggle marijuana into Indonesia in October, but it was planted there. She was convicted, and sentenced to 20 years in jail. Pretty stupid really, because the Indonesian customs officers didn't even test the drugs or the bodyboard bag that the drugs were found in.

Oh, Here is a hate site for Johnny Howard. Although it doesn't say why the owner hates him, it might clear thins up. Has anyone ever heard of Douglas Wood being held captive in Iraq? Johnny won't do anything about it.

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:47: Message edited by: I Sprung the Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #58
We have been dealing with Iraq for its oil since 1910. It is nothing new. Read your history. It started with British occupation, followed by numerous rebellions until 1932 when it went through various dictatorships, until now where once again the country is occupied by the British and us for various geopolitical reasons. The primary reason Iraq was occupied in the early 20th century was to provide a steady supply of oil to the allied powers in World War I. It was of strategic importance during World War II for its oil as well. The allies had to hold Iraq to prevent the axis getting critical fuel supplies.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #59
I just thought of a good example for what I was saying about climate variations. Imagine the stock market. Over periods of decades and longer, you see a large scale overall increase. However, on a period of years, or months, it has very violent changes in value with significant deviations from what you'd expect from a resolution of decades. So, if you only knew of the data over a period of decades, you'd think something was horribly wrong when values are like 5,000% off, but in reality, things are behaving exactly like you'd expect.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #60
quote:
It started with British occupation, followed by numerous rebellions until 1932 when it went through various dictatorships, until now where once again the country is occupied by the British and us for various geopolitical reasons.
First of all, "we" aren't the British. Second, we now know of oil in plenty of places around the world, and in fact, don't get most of our oil from the Middle East anymore. Third, we aren't occupying Iraq!!! I hate it when people try to say that we are. People have totally forgotten what an occupation is, for one. And no one actually bothers to talk to Iraqis what they think about it, either. They sure as hell don't think it's on occupation, and they don't want us to leave. There are naturally some who think the opposite, but overall they don't. There's a reason they aren't running out of new recruits for Iraqi police despite their high casualty rate. In many places they have way more people who want to join than they have available spots! Not that you’ll hear about this on the news, of course, because things like that don’t make good stories. Though if you talk to soldiers in some of these cities you can hear plenty of great stories about these kinds of things.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #61
EDIT button = good, cfgauss.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

they don't want us to leave. There are naturally some who think the opposite, but overall they don't.
I would be interested how you think that you know this. Polling attempts over there have generally failed.

EDIT: I fail quoting.

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 13:27: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #63
I once supported Bush, and still do support the War in Iraq. My problem with Bush is that he's changed Conservatism into Fundamentalist Liberalism. He's spending more on everything, not just defense, and he's asserting more federal power than any Liberal since FDR, and he's doing so much more invasively. The tax-cut was a concession to actual conservatives in the Republican Party, and the next president will have to pay for Bush's attempt to have his cake and eat it too. Liberals were always the ones who wanted to use government to push a moral agenda; conservatives just tried to prevent it keeping them from pushing theirs. Now, thanks to the Republican Party's sudden turn for the Fundamentalist, we've got two moral agendas battling for what they see as a mandate to do as they wish; Conservatism is dead (Well, that's a little over-dramatic, but the Republican Party of today isn't really conservative anymore).

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 14:02: Message edited by: PoD person ]
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #64
quote:
I would be interested how you think that you know this. Polling attempts over there have generally failed.
Yes, they tend to not work too well in places like that. But talking to the troops who are helping in reconstruction and working with the Iraqi police is a pretty good indicator of what's really going on. But they don't show this stuff on the news much, because no one's interested in hearing nice stories (in general, not just about this), but people only want to hear about stuff blowing up and people getting killed.

PoD person- I don't like the religious stuff they're doing, but other than that what they're doing isn't all that different than things everyone else does/did. There are whole political theories that say the same things always happen regardless of who is in office, unless you get someone totally inept in a crisis, or something like that, anyway.

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 14:11: Message edited by: cfgauss ]

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Apprentice
Member # 3347
Profile #65
The presidents Karma has gone down recently for a number of reasons...

Bad Karma happens when you do things like rip into the free press for mistakes like the Koran in the toilet controversy, but never mention or apologize for the war when no weapons of mass destruction or scuds or chemical/biologicals were found.

And it happens when you talk about the sanctity of life when opposing stem cell research, without mentioning the hundreds of thousands of men, women and children kill in the war in Iraq.

I could go on, but really think I come to these forums for game info, not politics.

--------------------
“Where did this apple come from?”
--Alan Turing
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #66
quote:
Bad Karma happens when you do things like rip into the free press for mistakes like the Koran in the toilet controversy, but never mention or apologize for the war when no weapons of mass destruction or scuds or chemical/biologicals were found.
I should point out that Saddam did actually use chemical weapons on his own people, there's absolutely no question about that. Also, I remember reading a story from the BBC of all places, talking about German intelligence estimates that he'd have nuclear weapons in 2 years. I read a lot of stuff about this, in fact, doing a research report on Iraq (which I did long before the war). It's actually a little bit disturbing to me that countries all of the sudden change their minds when we want to do something. Our inel reports were, in fact, based partly off of reports from British intel, German intel, and French intel (probably others, too, but can't recall offhand).

I should also point out, that, in case we've forgotten, Iraq is a big pile of sand, and Saddam likes to burry things. Our soldiers over there are constantly finding things like buried fighter jets out in the middle of nowhere. That kind of stuff is done to hide them from satellite and aircraft recon. The only reason we find the planes is because they hurried, and didn't burry them deep enough, and we see things like wings and tails sticking out of the sand! It would be very easy to hide missiles under the sand out in the middle of nowhere where no one would ever find them. He has done this in the past, too.

--------------------
- George Bernard Shaw
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #67
As long as a military exercises any control over a civilian population it is by definition occupation. Whether it is good or bad, or the people want them there or don't it still remains an occupation. When we finished world war II we occupied Japan and Germany. It really isn't negative.

Our closest ally is the United Kingdom in this venture. We are closer to Britain than any other country in the coalition.

The problem isn't the occupation of Iraq; it is the false reasons which are being given. I don't have a problem with the idea that we are conquering iraq because of their oil, their support of terror, their ethnic cleansing, their threatening the United States oil, as well as the sovereignty of neighboring countries.

It is the nonsense about WMDs and other stuff which bothers me. It is bringing in thieves to run the country like Ahmed Chalabi, it is using corporate mercenaries that are being paid 4X what regular troops are being paid, it is the incredible graft and corruption, it is the raw mishandling of prison camps, and lying about when we are leaving. It is also that we did not finish up cleaning Afghanistan of the Taliban.

We will be in Iraq at least five more years to clean the mess up. The way I see it, it will be through the full term of the next president.

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 15:19: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

I should point out that Saddam did actually use chemical weapons on his own people, there's absolutely no question about that.
Using chemical weapons on your own people is perfectly acceptable under international law. Many countries do it.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #69
We left Afghanistan because Iraq was becoming more of a priority with the threat of WMDs (which may or may not have existed; Saddam wouldn't tell people if he had them and certainly wouldn't leave them out in the open for everyone to see.

You must understand that we still need to keep soldiers in Iraq because the country is still largely unstable. Since we've already gone in, took down Saddam's regime, and had elections, we may as well finish what we started and give the new democracy a strong foothold in stability as the insurgents are cleared out. You'll have to agree that Iraq is both a better place to live and less of a threat to other countries without someone like Saddam Hussein ruling.

Finally, I'd just like to say that Bush bases much of what he does on religion because that's what he believes is right. If you choose not to follow his religion (I'd encouage following it though), I can't really stop you and neither can he. But since he finds confort and leadership in God, he bases his Presidency on that. That's all I'll say there.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #70
Thuryl, your post didn't make it clear, so I'm wondering. Are you saying this is a good thing?

--------------------
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
Alexandria - The Blades of Exile Scenario database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
Polaris - Free porn here
Odd Todd - Fun for the unemployed (and everyone else too)
Famous Last Words - A local pop-punk band
They Might Be Giants - Four websites for one of the greatest bands in existance
--------------------
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #71
I'm just stating the facts. My opinion of them is beside the point.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #72
Irrelavance aside, what is your opinion?

EDIT: 600 woot!

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 18:46: Message edited by: I Sprung the Spring ]
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by 4.808 x 10^3:

We left Afghanistan because Iraq was becoming more of a priority with the threat of WMDs (which may or may not have existed; Saddam wouldn't tell people if he had them and certainly wouldn't leave them out in the open for everyone to see.
Why did you have to leave Afghanistan? You lot have got a much bigger Army and Marine corps than over here in England. You could have swamped both Afghanistan and Iraq with your troops if you had wanted too.

- Archmagi Micael

[ Sunday, May 29, 2005 00:04: Message edited by: Archmagi Micael ]

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #74
I find this administration to be incredibly deceptive. It is amazing to me how Iran is being approached right now. Iran has nuclear capable cruise missiles... Something which this administration has quietly smoothed over. We object to centrifuges but don't insist on destruction of cruise missiles publicly. The cruise missiles are an indication that Iran is already nuclear capable and has been for a while... If not nuclear then dirty bombs, chemical and biological warheads.

http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2005_05/Ukraine.asp

I think we are dealing with an administration that aims to create a cold war and a permanent arms market in the middle east. The arms being sold are becoming more and more sophisticated and dangerous. I find it odd that after selling F-16s to Pakistan it turns around and then sells them to India because India is also an ally.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/may22005/update15837200552.asp

[ Sunday, May 29, 2005 04:52: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Pages