Custom Titles: How Did You Get Yours?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Custom Titles: How Did You Get Yours?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
Holding a custom title myself, I've always wondered how others came by theirs. So if you have a custom title, please post here telling us how you got it!

People like Jeff don't need to post here — it's quite obvious how personages like him got theirs... Jeez, start your own shareware company and you get to pick your own title on the associated bulletin board... Some people get all the rummy luck.

I was bestowed mine, "Mongolian Barbeque," by distinguishing myself in the now defunct Galactic Core forum. Whoop-de-doo. Icshi, King of the Sandbox. Looks on my works, yet mighty, and despair, and all that.

There was a surreal and humorous historical contest around Christmas 2003 in that forum, and my entry was (surprise, surprise) about Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire. I tied for first place, and my prize was a custom title (not of my own choosing, though I do think it's a good one) that I still cherish dearly.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #1
Custom title? Who? Where?

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Warrior
Member # 5619
Profile Homepage #2
Well Icshi I think the title you get is depend on how post you have and how long you become a member.

--------------------
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Post count determines regular titles, but some of us have custom titles, because Drakey or Stareye (usually Drakey) felt like letting the whole world know something.

I got my title in Drakey's last titling spree, and it's supposed to go with Aran's. I have no idea what relevance it has to anything, and I can't say I'm particularly fond of it. If I could, I'd donate it to Alorael, who has greater need of it than I do.

[ Friday, March 25, 2005 19:22: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
I used the tried-and-true method that Sarachim advocates - stay in the community forever and don't make yourself particularly useful or useless and you'll pick up a custom title eventually.

(Also gained it in Drakey's most recent titling spree.)
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah, didn't Alorael threaten not to post his 7500th post unless he got a custom title?

Then I think he went 'Screw it' and posted anyway and constantly changed his public name after that.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
I don't have one. I don't need one.

I don't see what all the hub-bub is about.

I don't spell well, either. (edit)

[ Friday, March 25, 2005 19:57: Message edited by: the Real Demonslaya ]

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by the Real Demonslaya:

I don't have one. I don't need one.

I don't see what all the hub-bub is about.

quote:
quote:
I'm with you except I'm grammar and punctuation marks and stuff

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Milla has it right. And Kel, you can keep your bizarre title to yourself, thank you very much.

I managed not to get a title by virtue of distinguishing myself by sheer number of posts. Such is life.

—Alorael, who thinks Icshi is understating his worth. He got a custom title due in no small part to being one of the very few to actually register and ostensibly enjoy GC. He's either crazy or a consummate liar, but he still gets a title.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Mr.knowitall:

Well Icshi I think the title you get is depend on how post you have and how long you become a member.
If I had a postbook, this would go in it.

I got my title as an apparently temporary-turned-permanent rebuke for posting something on GC. Then TM posted the word 'd00d' 2000 times in 3 different topics and he kept his, proving that you can get away with anything if you spend enough time mincing around shouting the names of philosophers and touching yourself.

[ Friday, March 25, 2005 20:28: Message edited by: Bad-Ass Mother Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #10
Imagine if you will a forum with no titles, no post count numbers determining your worth. Rise up against this oppressive system. Through off the shackles of your false reality. No really, post-count and titles are stupid.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #11
At a wild guess, Kel, I'd say that they're references to Alice in Wonderland.

I got my uber-special title through... what was it? Umm... oh yes. Persistant and continual spamming, over a large time period. However, I guess, like Alec just pointed out, it can just really depend on what mood Drakey's in, at the time.

However, even though I'm well aware that Icshi was accorded the title, due to his part in the Galactic Core contest, I'm sure that Alo has a very good point there.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #12
Mine is a joint title with Arctic's. They are chosen because they are almost Marathon level names and they suggest tentacle rape.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Imagine if you will a forum with no titles, no post count numbers determining your worth. Rise up against this oppressive system. Through off the shackles of your false reality. No really, post-count and titles are stupid.
My guess is that you'd be singing a much different tune if you had your own title. Perhaps one day I too will have my own title; however, I am doubting it. I don't see the system as oppressive. Rather, it encourages members to participate more in the community. Those who make distinctions based on post-count and such are to blame, not the system.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Post count determines regular titles, but some of us have custom titles, because Drakey or Stareye (usually Drakey) felt like letting the whole world know something.

I got my title in Drakey's last titling spree, and it's supposed to go with Aran's. I have no idea what relevance it has to anything, and I can't say I'm particularly fond of it. If I could, I'd donate it to Alorael, who has greater need of it than I do.

Mine has started to grow less itchy and I'm beginning to get used to it. But I don't really like it as such.

Then again, it'd be a cold day in hell before Drakey gives a pound of fetid Dingo kidneys whether someone likes their title. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

I used the tried-and-true method that Sarachim advocates - stay in the community forever and don't make yourself particularly useful or useless and you'll pick up a custom title eventually.

(Also gained it in Drakey's most recent titling spree.)

Some folks picked up a custom title for making themselves particularly useful. I think Cartographer is one example, and arguably BoE Posse might qualify as well.

Edit: Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a double post.

[ Saturday, March 26, 2005 09:01: Message edited by: Call out Gouranga be Happy ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
I have over 50 custom monikers.
And hell, with a name like "Amagasa Amagasa," I need some sort of identifier.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
Yes, yes.

I think post count and custom titles are good things, though. They keep people posting who would have otherwise left long ago.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

Unfortuanately, this has yet to work for me. Although, it would probably help if rather than lurking interspersed with 30 post splurges I actually did something to make people aware that I exist.

It should also be noted that Drakey seems to give "good" titles to those with notable accomplishments and less than savory random titles to people who are well known, just for entertainment.

Clearly, the way to gain a custom title is to make a notable contribution or cause Drakey to beleive that tormenting you would be fun.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #19
I don't know about you, but my title gives me great pleasure. *Evil grin*

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #20
I should get the title -
:)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #21
Alex, you have not been around for over 4 years.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #22
If I am not mistaken, the message boards started less than 6 months before I joined, how much older can you be in the community? Did you all interact somhow before they were created? How would you have known that each other existed? If the community is older than I believed, please excuse my ignorance.

[ Saturday, March 26, 2005 17:12: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #23
I have faint memories of the old Ikonboard (which, Alex, is the predecessor of this board). Ah, good times. Bad times, too.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #24
I was there for the Ikonboards. In fact, I recall seeing you there.

--------------------

Pages