Custom Titles: How Did You Get Yours?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Custom Titles: How Did You Get Yours?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by This Glass Is Half Stugie:

quote:
Originally written by Call out Gouranga be Happy:

I guess I'm a somewhat older newbie. Or a very new middle-bie. Anyhow, newbiehood is relative. Don't forget that I'm nearly a year older than Kelandon, and of the two of us, he's twice the oldbie I am. :P
Where do I fit on the scale of newbie-ness, I'd like to know? I joined after you and before Kel, and the three of us are basically the only 2003-on new members that have been active up to this point.

Depends on your definition of "active".

Ahem. Rosy? ef?

Also, in no particular order: Andrew Miller. MSW, though he's been away some time (I think I saw him posting recently, but I'm not sure). Ben. FZ (also gone from Spiderweb I believe). Dampeoples, every now and then. Cavanoskus, ditto.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #51
An oldbie is someone who has been around long enough to sneer at everyone who came later.

—Alorael, who will apply that definition to say that there are definitely people who become oldbies within a few months.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #52
I can't make you agree, but I think "oldbies" like you spend way too much time on here.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by The demon poster of Spidweb:

An oldbie is someone who has been around long enough to sneer at everyone who came later.

—Alorael, who will apply that definition to say that there are definitely people who become oldbies within a few months.

How do you define "long enough"? Long enough to THINK they can sneer? :P

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #54
*Sneers at the noobies*

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #55
A lot of people spend way too much time here, including me. :D

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
I posted my first 1000 posts in 5 months, and the next in nearly a year. The third will likely take longer, so I'm afraid I'm going to drop out entirely at some distant point. Estimated to be around 2071 or so.

But that would be be because I'd be dead by then.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #57
I'm just wondering, do all of you high posters have lives?

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #58
You know, even at ~10 posts per day, it only takes maybe an hour or so each day to check the boards twice or three times. I may be strapped for time, but I'm not so totally swamped that I can't afford an hour to unwind here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #59
Spiderweb goes well with skribbane for relaxation. I consider it the time I would otherwise spend building model airplanes or solving the mysteries of human existence.

—Alorael, who will also admit to multitasking and reducing his productivity significantly.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by -:

I'm just wondering, do all of you high posters have lives?
This community is pretty much my social life right here. I can't go to bars because in Victoria it's illegal to drive with any alcohol in your blood if you're under 21 -- and while technically I could go to a bar and not drink any alcohol, there wouldn't be very much point. (And the place I live is pretty remote, so taking public transport home isn't a very viable option.) I don't go to cinemas very often because it's cheaper to wait for the movie to go out on free-to-air. Restaurants are an even bigger waste of money. And I don't go to nightclubs because I hate music.

But hey, let's make a deal. How about when you're involved in medical research that could improve the lives of thousands of people with autoimmune diseases and have relevance to the treatment of cancer sufferers, then you get to criticise the way I choose to spend my leisure time?

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 12:46: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #61
I believe I've slowed down in even more majestic fashion than Aran, considering that I once averaged around seventeen or eighteen posts a day and am now down to one or two, if that. I've also spent several short periods away from the boards, and existed largely as a lurker until more recently. I highly doubt that I'll ever make it to Guru status.

My social life outside of these boards is reasonably substantial. I live in a dorm, though, so the convenience of having friends a short walk away at all times makes it easier, I suppose, to be socially active. Even when I'm home and things are a bit more inconvenient, though, I still manage to meet up with people.

This board is useful to burn some time once in a while, but I've found that I require several hours of actual human contact each day to maintain my contentedness.

[ Friday, April 01, 2005 14:40: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #62
And I'll post 15 posts one day, 4 the next, not posts at all the next day, and then come back with 7 more again. It all kind of depends how much free time I have and whether or not I have anything better to do with that time or not. And then of course whether or not there's a lot of topics I can post in.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #63
Back to the topic, I think Drakefyre should title himself "Attack Of The Pickled Turnip" just for fun.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Back to the topic, I think Drakefyre should title himself "Attack Of The Pickled Turnip" just for fun.
Replace turnip with 'mango', and it makes a lot more sense. ;)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #65
I was posting a lot more for some time, but than G3 came out and people come around about half the time. I try most of the time to comment only if I have something to say, but can't help but be a little spammy at times.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #66
I have to admit, I really spammed up the first post of the G3 forum with pictures of Arnold. :rolleyes:

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #67
I don't think anyone has answered (or even can) the question "what isd considered an oldbie"?

Me? I've been registered about 3 1/2 years now, I have a triple digit member number.

People on the boards even before these ones? I wasn't around then.

So, would that make me an oldbie here, or not?

I don't think it can be answered because everyone is going to have a differing opinion on what makes someone an old timer on a forum.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #68
|\|008

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #69
I don't have a custom title... :(

(And that's good, if it's not chosen by me :P )

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #70
Oh well, you can't really argue. You're admin at BoAC. ;)

Oh, BtW, I just noticed TM's about to 5000. Third one ever?

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #71
What is an olbie in real life? I guess they make it easier by reducing that definition to age landmarks.

Can't be the posts. Look at Benny and the 4808 Jets. He joined at around the same time I did. He's got 910 posts (as of this posting. Is he an oldie (but goldie)?

I certainly am in no way one. Maybe in five years I might have the senseless arrogance to call myself one. And I'll be a, at that, a third or fourth or (X tier) oldbie. There will always be those who joined before and who would still in six hundred and seventy three years be considered, by me at least, oldbies.

Time seems to also make no difference since some joined a long time ago and yet have hardly posted, or have less posts that some of the newer members.

I think it's something more untangible. I consider Stugie, Aran, Kel, for instance, oldbies, even though they are recent compared to an Alo or a Drakey or a TM (he's after all #4). Some of the oldest members go way back farther than this forum, to some previous forums.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages