Sexual Orientation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sexual Orientation
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #0
im wondering: what do you concider yourself? and are you offended by people using slang terms for homosexuals as insults? i can't mention any bc I risk getting banned just postign dictionary deffenitions. (for the unnkowing newbies, it has happened and almost threw us into Civil War)

editL typo check

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 16:18: Message edited by: High Lord Sylak ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 70 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=crWffTOJvdzp"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=crWffTOJvdzp"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Being straight myself, I find it hard to determine whether or not slang terms are offensive. I would imagine that they would be to a degree, but then again I've never been one to take offense to words.

So quit this gay stuff, flamer. This whole topic is so queer.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I find homophobic slurs, explicit or implicit, offensive. Words both express and shape the way we think, and I for one do not like that way of thinking. I'm heterosexual, for the record, but that doesn't mean I don't care. I've had the slurs applicable to me thrown around enough, jokingly and seriously, to be sensitive to others'.

That said, there is such a think as over-sensitivity. The events around April '02 on Spiderweb were a perfect example of that. There is a right way to respond to slurs and a wrong way, and shock and awe usually isn't the right way.

—Alorael, who finds the edit highly amusing. He'll leave it to you to discern why.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
Im straight though lez action is cool. Oh and I say things are gay all the time. It isn't even about gay people anymore. For example having a final exam moved to another day at the last minute would be gay. Personally I could care less about who's homosexual metero trans Bi hetero or not.

[ Monday, March 21, 2005 19:06: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
If somebody gets trolled by the first reply, I will laugh.

Heterosexual/Nay

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #5
^ :P
Also not bothered by words, Heterosexual/Nay

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
General has really turned into Controversy Central today. We've got Homosexuality, Abortion, Euthenasia, and Creation/Evolution all going at once. All we need is the Mac/PC debate to flare up, add something about animal rights, and we'll be set! :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
I prefer the women and I'm planning a career out of the slurs.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #8
I am straight and am all to happy for all these gay jokes to happen. I use them myself. Just wondering, out of the four that put down homosexual, how many of them were female?

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by I am Jesus the smooth criminal:

I am straight and am all to happy for all these gay jokes to happen. I use them myself. Just wondering, out of the four that put down homosexual, how many of them were female?
I know what's going through your head, so be advised that even if you do manage to set two of them up with each other, they're not going to show you any pictures afterwards.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #10
I don't care about photos, and I am not attempting to hook them up, I was just curious.

My real strange way of explaining my orientation: I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body. Some random crap I made up on the spot a few weeks ago.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
So basically you're a guy with a greater than normal fondness for wearable marital aids?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Depends on the terms used, and the tone. Words are vessels; they mean what you make them mean.

That said, the less well the person saying it and the person hearing it know each other, and the less channels of communication they are using, the greater is the risk of it being understood in another way than the person saying it was using the term.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

I know what's going through your head, so be advised that even if you do manage to set two of them up with each other, they're not going to show you any pictures afterwards.

I doubt he would need pictures. He's probably already there.

--------------------
Nena
Warrior
Member # 347
Profile #14
quote:

I don't care about photos, and I am not attempting to hook them up, I was just curious.

My real strange way of explaining my orientation: I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body. Some random crap I made up on the spot a few weeks ago.

Allow me to assure you that as a man you are in no way shape or form a lesbian. There's a lot more to it than liking girls. ;)

--------------------
"Take a chance and make friends with the reaper..."
"The reaper follows me wherever I go, for I've tied him to my ankle."
-DarkFyre the Pirate
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #15
I, too, find the edit highly amusing.

Homosexual/Aye.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #16
there's also more to love than just homo or heterosexual love? What about animal love? How come no one makes derrogatory slurs about how i love my hamster inappropriately?

nay, i say!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #17
None of the above/Aye

I deal with people on a case by case basis, I don't make judgements on gender.

Well, let me put it this way, I guess. If someone says something that is meant to be non-offensive, no matter how it is phrased, then it should be taken that way.

If however, someone says something that is meant to be offensive and uses homosexual terms to do so, then that is not only offensive, but is displaying great quantities of ignorance.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #18
Heterosexual/Nay.

But I'd never really fault a homosexual for being offended by slurs. I'm rather insensitive to insults as a rule, and as such am not bothered by the rare person that'll address me as "dot-head" or whatever else. I've been guilty at times of expecting all others to be just as invulnerable to words, and judging those that are quick to offense as hotheads, but nowadays I feel that a little understanding for the feelings of others would not be remiss.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Fringy MacGee:

there's also more to love than just homo or heterosexual love? What about animal love? How come no one makes derrogatory slurs about how i love my hamster inappropriately?

nay, i say!

You love your hamster inappropriately? :P

Sorry I couldn't resist, I know you didn't mean it that way

--------------------
Nena
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #20
Heterosexual/Aye

Words are words, but people using words in an arrogant or ignorant way(like someone calling a card game they are unfamiliar and uninterested in gay. I have to put up with that very often :mad: )is what makes me angry. I feel like getting a flamethrower, burning them, and then spreading their ashes in the wind. But that's the crazy part speaking (It would still be satisfying).

It's not the insult itself, but the associating of difference with bad.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
Personally, I prefer to sleep with rye toast, it is better than toasted crumpets or wonder bread toast. I am into butter, jam, and honey. I especially like honey.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Missing in Alorael:

That said, there is such a think as over-sensitivity. The events around April '02 on Spiderweb were a perfect example of that. There is a right way to respond to slurs and a wrong way, and shock and awe usually isn't the right way.

—Alorael, who finds the edit highly amusing. He'll leave it to you to discern why.

Oversensitivity is right, however, ther dose ocme a point wheres its very annoying.
And thanks for pointing that out... thats really funny that i did that :P

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Apprentice
Member # 5540
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

quote:
Originally written by Fringy MacGee:

nay, i say!

You love your hamster inappropriately? :P

Sorry I couldn't resist, I know you didn't mean it that way

What other way could I have meant it?

- Fringy, who thought he clearly stated that he has sex with his hamster (that is to say, if he heven had a hamster)
Apprentice
Member # 3004
Profile #24
heterosexual/aye.

When it's truely used as an insult, yes. It has nothing to do with offending individuals. It's probably in your bests interests not to offend the folks around you, but that's up to you. It has to do with making the equation "homosexual=negative" widespread, common, accepted, etc. (There's a wide range that the "negative" in there means.) Especially without many people people being aware of this equation, even as they promote it and deny they promote it.

That being said there are many people who use slang for homosexuals (that are often insults) ironically, use a parody of it, or otherwise commicate it in a way that isn't this equation. That, I have no problem with.

[ Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:41: Message edited by: Demented Munster ]

--------------------
Sandwichs and Apples.

Pages