Sexual Orientation

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Sexual Orientation
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #25
Oh good, you don't have a hamster :P

I truly do not understand the desire of bestiality, or perhaps it's to creepy to fully contemplate.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #26
I'm hetero, and try to be sensitive. I succeed ably when I'm around my gay friends, but when I'm not, I tend to say that things are "gay" meaning "lame." A bad habit on my part.

Actually, if you think about it, most of our comparable terms put down someone or another. "Lame" and "dumb" refer to particular disabilities; even "idiotic" has a somewhat technical definition, if you go by the old labels for different levels of mental retardation. Why is it though that we seem to find just calling things "bad" to be so "lame?" :rolleyes:
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
Do you have sex directly with a hamster, or do you use it as a sex toy?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #28
Man that was a good one. As for earlier comments...ummm, I only wanted to know how many there were, nothing more.

By the way, there are a lot of oversensitive people around, so they are more easily offended by thing they shouldn't be. But there are limits to when it's not annoying to be offended at something.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Oh good, you don't have a hamster :P

I truly do not understand the desire of bestiality, or perhaps it's to creepy to fully contemplate.

There's a lot to dislike about people, and there's a lot to like about animals; it isn't surprising that there are people who prefer to spend their time with animals than with people. Nor is it surprising that there are people who want to express their love sexually, regardless of whether that love is directed toward a human or not.

Depending on the kind of animal and the activity, having sex with it isn't necessarily going to cause it any suffering -- in fact, it's probably a lot less abusive than many other practices that are considered a normal part of animal training or pet ownership. Once you stop obsessing about how and why the various anatomical bits fit together (and really, you've pretty much done that already once you countenance any kind of activity other than heterosexual vaginal intercourse), bestiality isn't all that different from a lot of other kinds of sexual activity.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #30
That was just strange...for me anyway. There have been cases of people being killed because of it.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #31
That is a good prospective on that. Thuryl, you seem pretty open to most things.

Understandably a large enough animal would not be harmed. The animal that was mentioned was a hamster that is not an animal that could very easily survive intercourse of any sort with a human.

I don't like the treatment of commercial animals and though I do eat meat it is always organic free range. I won't comment in-depth on treatment of domesticated animals as some humans feel abuse is expectable both with their pets and children.

--------------------
Nena
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #32
Conscious food farming - 'organic', 'free range', and so on - is incredibly wasteful, almost insultingly so when you take into account areas where millions of people live without proper nutrition.

That's part of why I've never been able to get on the environmental bandwagon. At some level, it's just the same kind of ritualized self-stroking that leads to conspicuous consumption.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
It's hard not to be open-minded once you realise that the people you grew up with, the people closest to you, and you yourself, probably hold many preferences and opinions that society at large would, at best, ridicule and despise you for. From what I've seen, it's my opinion that the majority of people have at least a few socially unacceptable quirks that they mostly keep to themselves. That kind of secrecy may help us all interact with less tension, but it can make the world feel like an awfully lonely place sometimes.

As far as the mistreatment of animals to serve human ends goes, I admit I'm far from an innocent party. I've performed a number of dissections and worked with various animal tissues in the course of my studies, and I've worked in a lab that experimented on animals. I do believe that the experiments were justified by the great potential value of the research (attempting to develop genetic therapies for muscular dystrophy). Even so, that doesn't make it any less unpleasant to have to kill mice in the course of one's work.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #34
Alec-

Eating cleaner meat is for the sake of the animal as much as my own health. Commercial cows and chickens are raised in abusive conditions. Cows are fed only grain, and never grass. The grain is often the leftover that couldn't be sold to humans, so it is often in the early stages of rotting.

They are left in tiny pens so their meat won't become tuff. Being left in a tiny dirty pen and being packed in with hundreds of other cows leads to disease. Antibiotics are given to compensate for food comptly empty of nutrients, no excersise, little sun and fresh air, and dirty water.

Steroids are given so the animals can grow much faster. I don't want to eat these things, or take on the energy of a tortured animal. The same goes for raw dairy. It's more of a treatment of animals than health, but health is an issue also.

I work to help people. I can't help anyone if I am sick.

[ Tuesday, March 22, 2005 16:31: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #35
First off it started on Sexual prefrences now on whats is considered animal abuse and so on. This is another topic ruined. That just sucks.

--------------------

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
Considering the content of your own contributions to the topic, I hardly think you're in a position to accuse anyone of ruining the discussion.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #37
That happens in every topic more or less, it's just the flow of conversation.

--------------------
Nena
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #38
Though I agree that intent must be taken into account, I am mildly offended by the slang. Though I am perhaps a bit more sensitive because it applies to me. Discovering you are homosexual makes you look at a whole lot of things in a different light.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #39
No no, clearly It was I who ruined the topic. But it was my intention. And now I feel bad. So getting back to being offended by slurs and such,

I have to say that I've always beleived that you should be able to joke about absolutely anything, because most people are going to be offended by something, whether they want to admit it or not. How can one say "Its funny to make fun of gay people, but making fun of people with cancer isn't cool."

And yet they do say it, all the time. And that's when people turn on me, because I'm the one who will say "Oh I see, I can make fun of something people are offended by, just not cancer, because your mom died of cancer or something, well I can make comments on whatever I want. I find it funny."

And certainly it backfires. I made probably the biggest joke/insult against the gay community there is, if anyone remembers me talking about it months ago. Pretty much nobody fouind it funny, and everyone found it offensive, but chances are, if you were offended by it, you've probably made fun of cancer.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Ominous I'm in Us:

First off it started on Sexual prefrences now on whats is considered animal abuse and so on. This is another topic ruined. That just sucks.
Moving from sexual preference to animal abuse is ruination? Oh my... normally topics get worse, not less inflammatory.
Maybe animal abuse is more of an issue to boarf members than sexual preference? Maybe some of those who combine the two interests are sleeping for some reason?

--------------------
I am a pale shadow of the previous self.
quote:

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[QUOTE]Once you stop obsessing about how and why the various anatomical bits fit together (and really, you've pretty much done that already once you countenance any kind of activity other than heterosexual vaginal intercourse), bestiality isn't all that different from a lot of other kinds of sexual activity.
One might question the willingness of the animal involved - can animals really consent? Granted, I have zero experience in this arena, so I can't really weigh in on this one, but seriously, Thuryl - yeesh! :eek:

[ Wednesday, March 23, 2005 05:30: Message edited by: andrew miller ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #42
Sex with animals is not a good idea... Sheep gave us gonorrhea and syphilis... They were originally animal only diseases. It is believed that AIDS came from monkeys. How someone managed to mess with a monkey is beyond me, but they possibly did... They could have also have gotten it from eating the monkey but I doubt it.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #43
From what I read, it was a blood contact transfer where the man was preparing the monkey to eat it and cut himself in the process.

Edit: I have the bestest-best husband that I could ever have. I am so lucky to have him. He has saved me from myself and I will sleep better at night because of him. (In more ways than one ;) )

Edited per hubby's request.

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 04:46: Message edited by: Traci Hedlund ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #44
Toasty Warm wrote:
quote:
Sheep gave us gonorrhea and syphilis
Do you have any source on this?
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Bad-Ass Mother Custer:

Conscious food farming - 'organic', 'free range', and so on - is incredibly wasteful, almost insultingly so when you take into account areas where millions of people live without proper nutrition.
I don't support free-range or organic farming either where the animals in question are still processed for meat, although it does seem preferable as far as reducing the amount of pain they must endure. In the same vein, I suppose providing larger enclosures and better care for those animals destined for lab research is also a positive step.

However, I'm not much for compromise on the issue of animal rights. I'd like to eliminate meat production and animal testing entirely, although I understand what a difficult and gradual endeavor this would have to be. My views on the subject have to do with my appraisal of life being of equal value regardless of utility or intelligence. Only when quality of life has deteriorated past a certain point does it become acceptable, in my mind, to end the life. I'd never consider killing a healthy human or animal, but I'd be willing to put any suffering life form out of its misery.

Of course, we have discussed the issue of animal rights and our differing views on the subject in the past, so I'd be quite willing to forgo a repeat discussion. Unless, of course, others would be interested in participating or offering up new insight into the issue.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
One might question the willingness of the animal involved - can animals really consent? Granted, I have zero experience in this arena, so I can't really weigh in on this one, but seriously, Thuryl - yeesh! :eek:
Presumably they can consent to sex with each other (or at least provide as much consent as is necessary given their capacity for understanding), so I don't think it's a huge leap from there to say that under certain circumstances they could be said to consent to sex with humans. Certainly the power difference is an issue (same reason that in many jurisdictions teenagers can have sex with each other but adults can't have sex with teenagers), but that's not an issue unique to sexual relations. Having sex sure as hell beats being butchered for food, anyway.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #47
I don't know, man - talk to anyone who's been raped. Heck, Tori Amos has scads of songs about it, and listening to her for extended periods sure makes me want to end it all. Whether anyone chooses to butcher me and eat me afterward is up to them.

To each his own. :) I would say, however, for those very power-related reasons, bestiality falls into the "unethical" category.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Having sex sure as hell beats being butchered for food, anyway.
You made me think of "make love, not war". :P

Actually, not all rape victims say it was a life-changing event. The rape stigma is mainly a cultural construct, I suspect.

I'm straight(ish), and I voted Nay. I do disapprove of homophobia, but I'm not easily offended, and like most people I use myself as a yardstick. If there were a "sometimes offensive" reply, I would have voted for it. It depends on the context.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #49
Yeah, I really don't think sexual abuse should necessarily define one's life. I was molested when I was 4 years old, and while it was a humiliating and unpleasant experience at the time, and probably had all sorts of weird little long-term effects on me, it's not even *close* to being the worst thing that's happened to me in my life (and I've had a pretty good life overall). It's not even something I think about all that often any more -- and I'm inclined to think that animals are much less concerned about the complexities of social propriety and the stigma attached to past events than we are.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!

Pages