Exile tabletop RPG!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Exile tabletop RPG!
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #0
Hello, I'm new here. I am a longtime fan of the Exile games, and a slightly shorter fan of Avernum. I'm also a fan of tabletop RPGs, especially D&D and other d20 settings. Well, I recently got the Avernum games for my birthday, so I've been really into Exile again(I usually just call the games Exile, even thought they're sorta different), and I was thinking: What about an Exile tabletop RPG?! It wouldn't tbe too hard at all, the system practically lifts right off the screen onto the paper. I was wondering if anybody's ever done this, and also, do you think I'd be able to get some kind of master item list, along with their stats, for the equipment chapter?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
The idea's been presented before, with no success as far as I know. If you want item stats, look at Blades of Exile.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 488
Profile #2
I remember what it was like to be a n00b. This has been discussed before, I think some people tried it with some degree of success... but I'm too lazy to go find it. A short google search revealed nothing for me, but I'm sure someone else will know where it is.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Sedape:

I remember what it was like to be a n00b. This has been discussed before, I think some people tried it with some degree of success... but I'm too lazy to go find it. A short google search revealed nothing for me, but I'm sure someone else will know where it is.
*titters*

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I remember remembering what it was like to be a n00b.

Alec, of course, gets to titter, being able to stick on a lot more "rememberings" into that than pretty much anyone else here. Apart from Thuryl perhaps.

That said, "tabletop" usually associates with "strategy games" like Warhammer. Is it really an expression also used for D&D and what I have before known as "pen & paper" RPGs?

Not that there is a real difference: Each would require Spiderweb to enter a very different market than they're now in, and if Jeff thinks the same way now as he has for the past ten years he won't try to expand. Maybe a pity.

[ Monday, December 06, 2004 21:12: Message edited by: Unheralded He Homeward Sped ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #5
"Pen and Paper" RPGs become "Tabletop" RPGs with the inclusion of miniatures.

I actually adapted some aspects of Exile/Avernum for D&D. I have complete monster stats for slithzerikai, nephilim, and nepharim around somewhere. If you want them, I'll look around and see if I can dig them up. In the meantime, you can use lizardfolk for sliths, although the transition isn't perfect.

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

The idea's been presented before, with no success as far as I know. If you want item stats, look at Blades of Exile.
My local gaming store is fresh out of d7s and d9s.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #7
Damn Plato and Geometry. :P

But with only a little knowledge of Statistics and Stochastics, you can roughly convert most probability ranges into dice with a physically possible number of sides. It's not like you can't do anything with d4, d6, d8, d12 and d20. It's not going to convert nicely, but it sort of works if you're not worried about the actual probabilities, only the ranges.

Look at 1d11 + 1. You can roll any of 11 numbers, 2-12. 11-sided dice? Impossible. Or 1d7 + 1.

Now look at 2d6 (The other one works out to 2d4)
. Admittedly, where before you have an equal chance of 1/11, now you have ranges from 1/36 at the far ends to 1/6 in the center.
But the average result is still the same, that should be good enough.

Edit: So this doesn't seem like random guesswork and coincidence, here's the way to find such an "alternative" dice set with the same range.

Where x = number of dice, y = number of sides, z = added constant.

Multiply (y-1) * x.

Look for any one of the following factors: 3, 5, 7, 11, 19. If one of them is in there, divide the product by that to get the new dice number, then add one to the factor you divided to get the new sides number.

After that it's only a matter of shifting z so that the range is the same.

Edit 2: Okay, so it doesn't work every time - see 1d9.

[ Tuesday, December 07, 2004 01:20: Message edited by: This isn't Arancaytar. Really. ]

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 3351
Profile #8
Alternatively, you could throw a higher die and relaunch if its result isn't in your range or you can't easily put it in it.

ex : 1d9 could be 1d10 with relaunch if 0, 1d12 will be relaunched for 10, 11 and 12, or take a d20, substract 9 to the result if it is in the interval [10;18] and relaunch for 19 and 20.

--------------------
/Seawinds are calling
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #9
Gurrk.

Studying Math can make you an idiot when simple solutions are required. :rolleyes:

Of course, by relaunching you can fit anything into any interval. Just cut the interval off at the top, and relaunch for anything higher.

Even for higher dice than d20, you can simply throw several d20's and then do the relaunch with the sum.

Ah well, it was fun anyway. :P

[ Tuesday, December 07, 2004 04:11: Message edited by: Okay, it might be. ]

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
There are actually dice with more than 20 sides; I have a d30 (each side is a rhombus), and I've heard of d100s that actually have 100 sides.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #11
There is a d100. However, preventing it from rolling off the table is problematic. It's also tricky to read. :)

Has anyone come up with a use for the d30, out of curiosity?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Well, I find a d30 is useful for selecting random numbers from 1 to 30.

Seriously, though, I suppose it'd be useful if you needed to select a random day from a month for some reason or something.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

There is a d100. However, preventing it from rolling off the table is problematic. It's also tricky to read. :)

Has anyone come up with a use for the d30, out of curiosity?

I've got a d100 the size of a baseball. Solves the reading problem, and it tends to stop when it bashes into my Fallout P&P book. :D
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
A page!

And another!

By God! Another

—Alorael, who spent more time pasting those and writing than finding the pages on Google. Google is your friend!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #15
The alternative Valorim map is very intriguing...

--------------------
---Thomas Paine

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
I must retract the third website. Someone grabbed Avernum and took off running. The creator also has atrocious spelling (by choice or by nature) and a problem with at least two counts of intellectual property violation.

—Alorael, who has nothing more to say on the subject. It's all fun and games until someone writes Vahnatari.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Occam's Guillotine:

I must retract the third website. Someone grabbed Avernum and took off running. The creator also has atrocious spelling (by choice or by nature) and a problem with at least two counts of intellectual property violation.

—Alorael, who has nothing more to say on the subject. It's all fun and games until someone writes Vahnatari.

I looked. It's just as bad as you say. I did enjoy the flushed feeling of superiority I received when I realized my stats were better written. :P

--------------------

SnakeNetMetalRadio

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

And Nephalem.

I did wonder about that. It was why I looked forward to seeing the map, just to see what gross differences he'd introduce to 'avoid' plagiarism. :rolleyes: It turned out to be justified.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #19
Well, while the other RPG work might be useful to use as reference, I'd really like to do my own stuff, since I do want to go into RPG develpment when I graduate.

So anyways, does anyone know if anybody from Spiderweb actually comes on these boards? I'd like to inquire as to if they happen to have some file that contains all the equipment, monsters, etc. I'd use Blades of Avernum, but I don't have it and can't get it.

Also, I ws messing around on Macromedia Freehand, and, while I haven't been able to check them against each other, I think I have more or less exactly(and by accident) reproduced the Exile logo. Would I be allowed to put it on my website, or do I need to change it somehow?
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #20
quote:

The site's atrocious, but "Vahnatari" isn't a misspelling. Apparently, it's kind of the Vahnatai version of nephar -- rogue, outcast (although presumably not sterile). It's still stupid. He sort of credits Spiderweb on the front page, but not really; he doesn't out-and-out say that he ripped it off, claims differences (mostly crappy ones), and throws in a few insults regarding the GIFTS. Classy.

He horribly mutates the story in a way that somehow entirely manages to avoid changes that would put him in better legal standing. (Exhibit A: "Empire of Valorim"). Thus, the author of that site is, in essence, a saggot.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Jacen Solo 5007:
So anyways, does anyone know if anybody from Spiderweb actually comes on these boards? I'd like to inquire as to if they happen to have some file that contains all the equipment, monsters, etc. I'd use Blades of Avernum, but I don't have it and can't get it.
They tend not to. If you can't download BoA (why? The scenario editor is free), I could just e-mail you corescendata.txt, which is exactly that list.

Westra's Cookbook also may or may not be helpful.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

Actually, the more I look at the page, the more disgusted I get, though mostly because of the festering tons of arrogance displayed by the "author," who obviously believes that "his" system is better than all other RPGs ever created, ever, in the history of the universe. :rolleyes:

--------------------

SnakeNetMetalRadio

Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #23
Well he'd have to be arrogant to rip a game off and then claim his rip-off is better than the original.

quote:
A few of you may know the Avernum trilogy of computer games from Spiderweb Software.
"Mh. So here's Avernum. This other dude also made a game set in that world, but who cares?"

[ Thursday, December 09, 2004 06:33: Message edited by: Okay, it might be. ]

--------------------
---Thomas Paine

Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #24
I notice that the link to the forum on the first link Alorael provided links to the now expired thekavern, Lady J's old page.

Pages