Exile tabletop RPG!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Exile tabletop RPG!
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

They tend not to. If you can't download BoA (why? The scenario editor is free), I could just e-mail you corescendata.txt, which is exactly that list.

Westra's Cookbook also may or may not be helpful.[/QB]
Oh, the editor's free? Oh, well, my comp scrwed up, and my other one is crappy, so it'd probably choke to death if I downloaded it, so your list sounds exctly like what I need. My email is Magnaangemon5007@yahoo.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
Sent.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #27
Thanks, dawg. Yo diggity.

Seriously, thank you. This will also make it easier to work on this while away from a computer.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #28
This link looks a bit better than the other three
http://www.dragona.hostrocket.com/frames.html

It includes stats for a few critters, races, and magical items from Avernum.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #29
Also, they appear to have made the Vahnatai into a sort of Ninja warrior. Of course they're quick, but most of them are mages, no?

And... Slithzeranki? But Vahnatai and Nepharim spelt right? (Nephilim isn't copyrighted, but the others are probably)

[ Friday, December 10, 2004 06:06: Message edited by: Okay, it might be. ]

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #30
Names cannot be copyrighted.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #31
Really? I thought if you buy a Luke Skywalker action figure, you can look on the back and it says something like "Star Wars, Luke Skywalker, Lightsaber, are all property of LucasFilms inc. All rights reserved" or something like that. I thought if names are a part of a game, and you copyright the game, the names are copyrited as well.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
No; names have to be specifically registered as trademarks. It's pretty unlikely that Jeff bothered to register Nepharim or Vahnatai.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
In reference to the vahnatai being ninjas: I think that comes from the fact that they through razordisks, which look a lot like ninja stars. Vahnatai have Blades and warrior types as well as mages, and both are signficantly advanced: the waveblades are supposed to be far superior to normal swords, which I think is a reference to Japanese Tokugawa-era metallurgy, which was the best medieval smithing ever.

It's not nearly as much of a stretch as it might at first seem, although it is still a stretch.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #34
Titles cannot be copyrighted. Names can.

The word "nephilim" is not original, but its usage as "the name of a species of humanoid felines" could be.

--------------------
AIM/Yahoo IM: Cavanoskus

Scary artwork and Bad Poetry
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #35
ALright, I did a little work today by copying down the skills, their cost, their base, and their effect. I just have a few questions:

Hardiness: It says that there's a chance of reducing the damage by 1 per level. I am interpreting that as a flat percentage chance, but the damage absorbed increases. Is that right? Also, what shoudl this chance be? I'm going with 30% as of now.

Assassination: The chance to assassinate is determined by both skill level and how many levels you are above the enemy. Does anyone know the percentage chance? I'm using, as of right now, 4% per skill level, as well as +/- 4% for every level you are above/below the opponent.

Mage and Priest Spells: It says that spells get more powerful as you raise your skills; I'm thinking maybe adding +5% per skill level to the effect of the spell, if there's a percentage chance of it working(like Curing), bonuses to the damage of a spell, like +1, +2, increase die type, etc(same goes for Healing), stuff like that.

Potion Making: How's 25% + 5% per skill level?

Tool Use: I'm thinking 30% + 5% per skill level.

Cave Lore: Used to find your way, forage, kinda like the Survival skill in D&D. I'm using base 30% + 5% per level.

First Aid: How about 30% + 4% per skill level.

Does it give actual values in any of the other Avernum games? Mayeb Blades? Did anybody ever figure it from whenever they show the percentage chance? THanks for your input.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Jacen Solo 5007:

Hardiness: It says that there's a chance of reducing the damage by 1 per level. I am interpreting that as a flat percentage chance, but the damage absorbed increases. Is that right? Also, what shoudl this chance be? I'm going with 30% as of now.
I believe hardiness in Avernum actually works the same way as armor. The damage blocked per physical attack is 1dH, where H is your hardiness level. So if you have a hardiness of 10, 1-10 damage is deducted from every hit you take.

quote:
Assassination: The chance to assassinate is determined by both skill level and how many levels you are above the enemy. Does anyone know the percentage chance? I'm using, as of right now, 4% per skill level, as well as +/- 4% for every level you are above/below the opponent.
No idea what the actual percentages are, but that doesn't sound unreasonable. Of course, it means you'll assassinate a lot against low-level enemies even if your assassination skill is very low, but that happened in the original games too.

quote:
Mage and Priest Spells: It says that spells get more powerful as you raise your skills; I'm thinking maybe adding +5% per skill level to the effect of the spell, if there's a percentage chance of it working(like Curing), bonuses to the damage of a spell, like +1, +2, increase die type, etc(same goes for Healing), stuff like that.
Doesn't sound unreasonable. In BoA, Intelligence, Mage/Priest Spells and Magery are all basically equivalent in terms of their effect on spell power (although of course, Mage Spells and Priest Spells only affect their respective spell groups).

quote:
Potion Making: How's 25% + 5% per skill level?
Well, in BoA, the chance of success is 50% if your skill is exactly enough to make the potion, and seems to increase based on some weird formula after that. There's also a chance to make 2 doses of a potion from one set of ingredients if your skill is really high; don't know if you want to implement that.

quote:
Tool Use: I'm thinking 30% + 5% per skill level.
With bonuses and penalties for easy or difficult tasks as appropriate, of course.

quote:
First Aid: How about 30% + 4% per skill level.
First Aid isn't really very good in BoA. You'll probably need to rebalance it yourself to make it useful.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
Re Potionmaking/Tool Use: Each potion/door/trap has its own difficulty rating. My recommendation is to turn the value of the potion/door/trap that into the minimum rank required in Potionmaking/Tool Use, and then requiring the player to roll a d20 with a DC of that potion/door/trap's value. For instance, if Knowledge Brew has a minimum skill of 30 (it doesn't, but these potions will probably be altered to fit a D&D-type setting). If somebody has a Potionmaking skill of 10, then that person would have to roll a 20 to successfully make the potion. (And as always, there's always a chance to fail- that is, rolling a 1.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5262
Profile #38
quote:
Originally written by Wilfred A. Spurts:

Re Potionmaking/Tool Use: Each potion/door/trap has its own difficulty rating. My recommendation is to turn the value of the potion/door/trap that into the minimum rank required in Potionmaking/Tool Use, and then requiring the player to roll a d20 with a DC of that potion/door/trap's value. For instance, if Knowledge Brew has a minimum skill of 30 (it doesn't, but these potions will probably be altered to fit a D&D-type setting). If somebody has a Potionmaking skill of 10, then that person would have to roll a 20 to successfully make the potion. (And as always, there's always a chance to fail- that is, rolling a 1.)
Yeah, that's sounds alright...in a d20 setting. I'm focusing on the non-d20 system. I'm calling it the Spiderweb System, and I have plans on aadapting it to fit Geneforge and Nethergate. It's basically a straight adaptation of the game onto paper.

Pages