Geneforge 3 Screenshots....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 3 Screenshots....
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #0
the screenshots
Found this link from RPG Codex and 'cause I didn't see a topic about this I decided to post this :) If there is a topic about this already well...lock this topic

[ Friday, November 12, 2004 22:36: Message edited by: Wizard ]

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #1
Erm-
It looked allright-
but reading the blurbs- "there may be reasons to join her" haven't we been over this before? Well perhaps it is something new and unique, hmmmm crafting. It can be enjoyable if done correctly I suppose.

And taking a closer look at the graphics- what are you?

Again-
Quick use? Hmmm Diablo?

[ Friday, November 12, 2004 23:30: Message edited by: m's chosen ]
Apprentice
Member # 5170
Profile #2
Looks cool but still haven't played it so i don't know

[ Saturday, November 13, 2004 00:12: Message edited by: Jib Dude ]

--------------------
Do not fear Jib is here!
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #3
I deeply dislike the look of the new UI (or whatever). Other than that, uh, yay! ^^

[also hi, Wizzy]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #4
Looks good to me!

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
Pretty cool, pretty cool.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #6
The new shaper graphics leave something to be desired. Other than that, I can't wait!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
"I am hear [sic] to tell you two things."

Looks like there's still a little bit of work to be done. It still looks pretty good, especially with the smooth lighting, but without a nicer engine I'm still staying away.

—Alorael, who is more interested in the ability to "use the new crafting skills to create powerful weapons, wands, and magical items." Sounds interesting, at least. What's the chance it will be all that and a soda?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
If you asked me (which I know you wouldn't), I think it's about dern time Jeff put some crafting skills into his games. It seemed to me that he always made games that would tailor nicely to it, yet left them out.

Regardless, I'm less than fond of the Genoforge 'universe', so I'll probably be skipping this one like the rest. But perhaps I could be swayed by some nice reviews?

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #9
Ah but it is worth playing through the demo at least, even if you don't end up buying the game. That way you can have a reason for disliking it-

As to the crafting- It does sound interesting, I guess, I have never played a game with crafting, how does it work?
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
Ah, but I have played the demos. That's how I know I don't like them. :P

As for the crafting, you usually take normal items that would otherwise be useless (ie, yarn, logs, crystals, ore) and CRAFT them into something useful (ie, swords, clothes, magic stuff, fires). This started as just a roleplaying element, allowing people to fish, cook, take mundane jobs for their characters. It's a good break from the dungeon crawling.

But now it has real purpose, allowing the adventurers to make their own stuff. The trade-off is time spent, as opposed to going and buying the materials you'd be making.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
I think it looks mighty fine.

Eh, I wonder if Jeff is ever going to consider a real 3D game.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Too much development time and resources needed. To be decent, a 3d game would need at least several graphics designers, and I somehow doubt Jeff will hire them.
The customer base isn't large enough for really big production investments to pay off, so I guess (and hope, to be honest) that plot will have priority before graphics for some time yet (even though there is a worrying trend from Exile to Avernum and to Geneforge).

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #13
Even with those things, he should still consider moving to at least a very basic 3d engine soon. Seen that free MMORPG, Runescape? And engine like that would work fine.

I don't see why not... well I do, but I think it might be worth it. I've spoken with several people over the last few years that have heard of Spiderweb games, but were turned off the dated visuals, regardless of the gameplay elements. While most of us aren't so shallow, we do still like to look at our games...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Real 3D also requires a great deal more programming, including knowledge of how to program stuff in 3D, I'd presume. Even if you find a way to avoid needing the simplest of physics engines (for calculating the trajectories of arrows and whatnot), it would be a huge undertaking, and it would take Spiderweb into the same arena as games like Neverwinter Nights.

Basically, it's a losing proposition.

—Alorael, who is perfectly happy with Avernum's pseudo-3D heights and Geneforges semi-3D graphics. The engine of the latter is another matter entirely, but it's not the graphics' fault.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Dres Redoran:

Even with those things, he should still consider moving to at least a very basic 3d engine soon. Seen that free MMORPG, Runescape? And engine like that would work fine.

I don't see why not... well I do, but I think it might be worth it. I've spoken with several people over the last few years that have heard of Spiderweb games, but were turned off the dated visuals, regardless of the gameplay elements. While most of us aren't so shallow, we do still like to look at our games...

Because it'd take resources away from plot and other such things. If Jeff is going to waste the thousands that it'd take to get a good set of graphics and an engine for them going, he might as well hire a professional writer and save a lot.

In addition, I hate people who equate better graphics with a better game. Angband is a vastly superior game to Runescape and it doesn't have any graphics at all.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #16
yes, but that's only because Runescape SUCKED. :/

however, i guess it's still a case of how story and gameplay are more important than fancy graphics i guess. although those Runescape graphics are worse than no graphics.

[ Saturday, November 13, 2004 18:37: Message edited by: Wisemanism: the Religion ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #17
I've done (or tried to do) 3D programming, and let me tell you, it's a bad idea for a bunch of reasons.

1) System requirements go up. I'm fond of playing Avernum on my 233 MHz Compaq laptop. Geneforge lags like crazy as it is on that machine; the only 3D game that works on it is Unreal Tournament at 320x200 with all features turned off. I realize most computers aren't that old, but you still lose a market segment. A lot of people still don't have 3D graphics cards, too.

2) 3D is hard to program. Very, very hard--especially if you want it to be cross-platform (the only 3D API that works across platforms is OpenGL, and that has some platform-specific features too).

3) Art assets become a lot more numerous. Jeff would need many full-time art people for such a project.

4) It puts them into the realm of competition against big-name games. Bad idea.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #18
Personally, I do not like 3d graphics. What would be cool would be if you could include a larger strategic element in the games. Your character could join in large battles 20-50 monsters to a side as part of a larger war. You would be part of a decisive series of skirmishes or actions. Also have the option of choosing a few of the battles which are predetermined-- what troops go where. Not the whole thing, but pieces of it. Thus your characters would help determine a few of the pivotal battles in a larger war.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Buttered Crispy Toast:

Personally, I do not like 3d graphics. What would be cool would be if you could include a larger strategic element in the games. Your character could join in large battles 20-50 monsters to a side as part of a larger war. You would be part of a decisive series of skirmishes or actions. Also have the option of choosing a few of the battles which are predetermined-- what troops go where. Not the whole thing, but pieces of it. Thus your characters would help determine a few of the pivotal battles in a larger war.
You can do the fifty-to-a-side battle in BoE or even Avernum--it's just slow. :D
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #20
this set-up is going to seriously mess up some experienced GF players. I always liked the map in the bottom-right corner. Is the inventory system going to be as easy any more? Will there still be click and drop item movment sytem? Thi may turn out to be a little too different for me. But I sorta like it too, ya know? :) :(

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out my GF 1, 2 and 3 Helper!
Ceck out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
Yeah, well, since Jeff is not going to hire a whole team of people, I s'pose we'll be playing 2D games for some time to come.

Oh well. A good plotline makes a good impact on a game, many times more than good graphics.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Apprentice
Member # 5193
Profile Homepage #22
Me want da game but still 2d?? thought they would have made it 3d by now. Still spidweb has yet too make a bad game, so 2d isn't so bad. I have been hoping for a geneforge 3 and now my dreams have come true, at least one of them, so some time soon I will win the lotto.

--------------------
Size matters not for the force is my ally and a powerful ally it is-Jedi Master Yoda
my grandpa was a wise man he said John, you can't milk a dead cow
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #23
:confused:

First impression, sorry.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #24
I pray that there are more meaningful ways to spend money in Geneforge 3 than in Geneforge 2.

I also hope that there will be a day-night cycle in Geneforge 3.

Finally, I also hope that Jeff Vogel reads these issues.

[ Saturday, November 20, 2004 05:06: Message edited by: Mind ]

Pages