Fallout 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fallout 3
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #0
The rights to the Fallout universe (excepting the possiblity of a MMORPG) has been licensed by Bethesda Softworks, creators of Daggerfall and Morrowind.
According to this interview, they intend on making a Fallout 3. More power to them, but may they be infected with FEV if it sucks.

This apparently puts an end to rumors that Troika or some other studio would get the franchise. It also apparently ends the 'nearly completed' F3 project "Van Buren." More's the pity.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
That's too bad. I have great admiration for the folks who used to work at the now-defunct Black Isle Studios, and I'm certain a game made by anyone else will just not be the same.

Of course, no telling when this will be out for Mac. ;)

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:13: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #2
I'm just worried about the game being made for both PCs and consoles. Look what happened to DeusEX 2, for example.

And can't imagine Fallout 1 and 2 in a console, so I won't be expecting much from Fallout 3.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #3
I'm still hoping that they bring Morrowind to the Mac, yet I don't believe it. I don't expect any Fallout3 for the Mac the next 6 years then....

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
As far as I'm concerned, the only new sequals to any games that rocked are DooM3, Rome:Total War, Half-Life2. DX2 is, for me, the biggest let down since Daikatana (curse you Romero! All the way to hell!).

I just got my new PCGamer magazine in the mail today... and those lucky SOBs got an exclusive, pre-release review session of DooM3. 94%, which means it doesn't suck. I honestly had doubts that DooM3 would be as great as I had hoped. Come August 3rd, I guess I'll find out just how great of a 94 it really is.

And on topic of the Fallout series... I'm probably just going to ignore Fallout3. I've seen too many upsets because of those accursed consoles. Keep PC games where they belong: PCs. Let those XBoxs and PS2s have they're own crap, and quit stealing our franchises.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #5
I don't know anything about Bethesda, other than that I played Morrowind obsessively for what seemed like an eternity. If they can do that with F3, I'm all over it.

--------------------
"'I saw the duckling hatch and disappear.
Sadly I ask who may have taken it.'"
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #6
All I can say is: Don't get your hopes up.

I, too, have played Morrowind obsessivly. While Fallout is a different type of RPG, the chances of it being a blow out are extremely low. Then again, we've been proven wrong many times. We'll just have to see what happens.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by The Demonslayer:

As far as I'm concerned, the only new sequals to any games that rocked are DooM3, Rome:Total War, Half-Life2.
Maddening urge to kill...

...rising...

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
You disagree?

Trust me, I have reasons for hating everything else.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
Calling Fallout 2 a bad sequel is like calling The Godfather Pt. 2 a bad sequel.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
NO! I clearly stated that all NEW sequels are crap. Not old ones. Trust me, I know that Diablo2 was great. I know that BG2 was great. I know that DooM2 was great. I was referring to 'new' games that have been released in the past year or are going to be released in the future.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #11
How could you possibly know if sequels to be released in the future are good or not? Do you have a time machine?

And if you do, could you tell me if Nethergate 2 is going to be good?

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #12
Morrowind was a big disapointing to me.

After waiting 3 years, I just played the game 2 hours. Then uninstalled it.

No dialog (all generic for everyone, even main characters), all dungeons looked the same, mediocre combat system, etc.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

NO! I clearly stated that all NEW sequels are crap. Not old ones. Trust me, I know that Diablo2 was great. I know that BG2 was great. I know that DooM2 was great. I was referring to 'new' games that have been released in the past year or are going to be released in the future.
You telepathic or something? You don't know if sequels are going to be good or crap. I bet they'll make a good sequel just to annoy you.

Gosh - Predicting the Future - Unless you're a weather-man, it's not a good idea.

- Archmage Micael

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
Amazingly enough, I'm a game critic, and that's my job: to tell you people when to ignore/hug games. I've been around games long enough to know when something shows promise and when something is gunna stink. I admit, those 3 (D3, HL2, Rome:TW) aren't the ONLY sequels that will be worth playing, but are certainly the highlights. The new Vampire game (Bloodlines is it?) is showing much promise. And at current, all these games have been designed for PC. Yes, I know DooM3 will have an Xbox version later next year, but it isn't the same game, and the game was still designed for PC, and PC strengths. HL2 is rumored to have an XBox version coming next year, but it's also not supposed to be the same game.

Yes, I'm predicting the future. And ya know what? So are you. The millions of "Yea GF2, but what else?!" topics? Yes I read them. My point is simple: Make PC games for PCs, console games for consoles. I just pray for the day when Quake deathmatch will be compatible online between a PC player a console user. Then you'll see why certain games belong here, at home.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #15
A real game critic would actually play a game before panning it.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #16
Laf. That's where you are wrong. We don't actually play games. We just critic them.

On a serious note, I do play the games. That's why I say they suck.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #17
OK. First of all, you're saying that Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are good, where you haven't even played them yet. Second, you say you're going to pan Fallout 3. What kind of "game critic" does that before development has even started? You don't even know anything about it, knobhead.

Stop pretending that your opinion has any real meaning. I don't even really care what publications you've been in, if you've been in any; you're obviously as worthless as those idiots who put Donkey Kong Country on the "Most Overhyped Games" list.

Rejoin the real world and withhold judgement before you have a chance to see what you're talking about, sparky.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #18
Yet, amazingly, your opinions do count?

I was simply stating my position on the crossplatform, co-development of games. And perhaps you should stop throwing out insults before you get it right.

I have played both DooM3 and HL2. They both are great. I didn't mean to say (if I did) that Fallout3 is crap. I mean to say it most likely will be.

It's my job to have an opinion, as well as it is a right. Again, lose the hostilities. You act as if you've ever met me, which you haven't. You have the right to interpret what you read as you will, but needlessly insulting others is just, well... needless.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #19
Funny. Earlier in this thread, you were judging Doom 3 based on a review, and now you've played it?
My opinion is no better than yours. Difference is that I'm not crapping mine out everywhere, tying a bow on it, and claiming that I'm a "game critic."

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
I don't know where you're from, Demonslayer, but to the best of my knowledge, it is not August 3rd anywhere yet.

EDIT: Just in case anyone misses the point.
quote:
I just got my new PCGamer magazine in the mail today... and those lucky SOBs got an exclusive, pre-release review session of DooM3. 94%, which means it doesn't suck. I honestly had doubts that DooM3 would be as great as I had hoped. Come August 3rd, I guess I'll find out just how great of a 94 it really is.

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 14:36: Message edited by: Just Call Me Kel ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
Not sure if you are as diehard a gamer as I am, but there is this thing called E3. And QuakeCon.

Quite funny, eh? You don't want my opinion, then don't read it. And for the record... I have never stated that DooM3 was the second coming based on a news article. THAT was based on my own personal experiences with the game. Thank you.

[ Friday, July 16, 2004 15:12: Message edited by: The Demonslayer ]

--------------------
The critics agree!

BANNED
Member # 3688
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Ultimate Weapon Custer:

Calling Fallout 2 a bad sequel is like calling The Godfather Pt. 2 a bad sequel.
I loved Fallout 1 and played through it at least 4-5 times. I was very disappointed by Fallout 2 and stopped playing around the tanker. I thought it was a weak sequal, but am surprised that most disagree.

Oh, and I think Bloodlines looks pretty sweet too.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #23
GTA3 and GTA3:VC are both new sequels to old classics that are very good.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #24
Fallout 2, in my opinion, was better than F1 in almost every respect.
(I liked the comparison with Godfather part 2 made earlier in this thread. As the second Godfather also improved, if that's possible, upon the first one.)
In both cases, the second part was, first as good as the original, but, in the way a GOOD sequel should be, it enlarged the "mythology" of the original, by making the concept more complex.

As for F3. I was not a big fan of Morrowind. I hated the fact that I could raise some of my skills by jumping/running and casting, incessantly, cheap spells. But, other than that. . .

Fallout games were isometric. I hope. I HOPE they keep that. Please.

As for predicting that a game will be good or bad. . . it seems to me that no matter how informed anybody is on a subject, a prediction will alwasy be just that. An opinion. And one no matter how informed may be right or wrong. If all our predictions turned to out to be the way we expected them. . . I, for one, would be rich and living in a tower and a best-selling author.

That said, I hope Fallout 3 is good. Until it comes out (and it will be a while. . .!) all I've got is my hopes. Those games, 1 and 2, meant a lot to me, as I can see meant a lot to many people. Betheseda better not mess them up.

All in all, and for what's worth, I wish (and this is worse than predicting) that Trokia had gotten the rights for it. It may be a kick ass game, but I fear what a Fallout in first person perspective will be like.

I also read in another interview that Interplay kept the rights for Fallout as mmorpg.

Here's hoping for the best for all of us.
Salud!

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)

Pages