Happy Beltane!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Beltane!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #0
Die Salbe gibt den Hexen Mut,
Ein Lumpen ist zum Segel gut
Ein gutes Schiff ist jeder Trog
Der flieget nie, der heut nicht flog.
J.W. Goethe, Faust 1

)(
IMAGE(cool0000.gif)
-A)-<=
//
back from Blocksberg

--------------------
^ö^ Vegetarians are sexy.
Solar power is the wave of the future.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #1
Oh.

EDIT: Decided to add: I can't speak german.

[ Friday, April 30, 2004 14:49: Message edited by: Black Griffon aka. StD ]

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #2
Unless you feel like adding something to a discussion thread, it's probably best not to post at it at all, lest people brand you with the mark of 'annoying idiot'.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #3
Yes Alec, but with you, you brand everyone an annoying idiot, so what's the point?

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Not at all. You, for instance, are an offensive idiot: "annoying" would imply that you are irritating but essentially harmless. The distinction is subtle but profound.

And I coulda sworn it wasn't Beltane until tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, wait, s.t's Australian too. This is what happens when I rely on post time instead of real time. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

[ Friday, April 30, 2004 15:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #5
Ah, but I do not intentionally give offence unless offence has been received. And as all humans could quite happily be referred to as idiots, as they are closer to that than intellegence. Then yes, I am a flaming, right-royal, complete and utter idiot. Now I'll stand up and take a bow.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #6
Walpurgisnacht...where have you been, spy.there? IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

Hope you enjoyed the broomstick flight. Stechapfel und Bilsenkraut...

--------------------
Polaris
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
Is 'Beltane' May Day, by any chance?

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #8
I don't know May Day, Beltane is celtic, the night between April 30 and May 1. Dancing around fires and jumping over them when they are high.

But Walpurgisnacht is witches' night, where they fly on their broomsticks around the Brocken mountain and meet with the Lord of Hell and celebrate. Sounds mightily antichristian, but is a heathenish traditional in my country. Stechapfel and Bilsenkraut - Datura and Hyoscyamus - are plants with hallucinogenic effects. Witches' salves were made from them. All this goes back to the middle ages and earlier.

[ Friday, April 30, 2004 16:27: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
Not that I really want to get involved in this, but, FBM, idiocy is not black and white. Everyone's an idiot, sure, but there are shades of grey; quite a dark one, in your case, which is more or less Thuryl's point.

I've heard of Beltane, but I didn't really know what it was...

I thought spy.there was in Switzerland, not Australia.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #10
Time to consult the pagans again, as I can't remember exactly what the ones I know do for Beltane.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #11
She says she's back from Blocksberg. She must be german.

Beltane and the witches' night are linked. Beltane is a celebration of renewal and fertility. And the witches, well, the german name is: Hexe, which is derived from germanic Hegezissa. The hegezissa was the shaman of a tribe or clan, always a woman, as the germanic tribes believed that only every 10000th man had the potential to learn magic. She was the spiritual guide and healer, and as the russian hagazussa sitting on the fence between the worlds, seen and unseen, with a foot in both. So it is easy to imagine what happened when the christians came.

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by ef:

Walpurgisnacht...where have you been, spy.there?
I was only at a mediocre concert of noize music. And I had scruples, because I did not plant a maypole, did not dance around a fire, not implore for abundance an love - like every honest witch should have done tonight. Thus I posted at least a piece of poem from the Blocksberg-scene. It describes the flight-tricks of witches and concludes: Who didn't fly tonight, will never fly.
Well, I was too lazy to fly ...

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #13
paganism is for hippies and fat old women and the union of these sets

'wicca' is slang for "i'm fat, i'm constantly pms'ing, and I need it something awful so I'm going to pretend to be a witch so i can get some from that creepy guy who hangs out in the park and calls him self 'Shuggalor'"

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #14
Hm, I know some unbelievably hot pagans. Should I tell them that by being so, they're violating the rules? :rolleyes:
Apprentice
Member # 4245
Profile #15
I'm pagan and I don't exactly consider myself to be a fat hippie pms-ing woman. :rolleyes:
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #16
Ah, could be worse, could be a unicorn-worshipper. Or you could be one of those people who use metal detectors to see if unicorns are hiding in their sock drawers.

It's a game. It's called: Spot the Dilbert Take-off.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Maaya:

'wicca' is slang for "i'm fat, i'm constantly pms'ing, ...'"
I am a slim, attractive hippy and I like to stir up the prejudices of male blockheads. Seems, that I succeeded again ...
IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
I think Djur's just having a very bad day. Perhaps it's his time of the month?

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #19
I don't object to plenty of the aims of paganism but I do find the religious element bloody stupid. Good god, the concept of atheism was developed by the Greeks partly because their pantheon was so unconvincing and they had one of the less mind-numbingly silly ones.

Hell, the only reason Christianity holds up is that Europe's best scholars spent a millenium trying to interpet different bits of tradition so they made some modicum of sense and din't contradict each other too much.

Aside from that paganism now isn't much like ancient paganism. Ancient paganism didn't have the concept of all pantheons being aspects of the same set of god (although there's a credible theory that all the gods worshipped by Indo-European tribes fall into three groups, they considered merely that their gods were the gods of their tribe) was frequently not based around a mother goddess (quite the opposite if the number of gods with huge phalli is anything to go by) and essentially evolved because stories get corrupted with an oral history and because to be blunt the people were ignorant. Modern paganism is just the work of moronic Victorian civil servants.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

Ah, could be worse, could be a unicorn-worshipper. Or you could be one of those people who use metal detectors to see if unicorns are hiding in their sock drawers.

I had no idea that unicorns could be found that way. I thought you just had to go by the holes in your socks.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

quote:
Originally written by Maaya:

'wicca' is slang for "i'm fat, i'm constantly pms'ing, ...'"
I am a slim, attractive hippy and I like to stir up the prejudices of male blockheads. Seems, that I succeeded again ...
IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

And I'm Abe Lincoln. Take your hippy self-righteousness and shove it.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #22
From the ethnographies I read on the subject back in the crappy-anthro class I had to take for my gen eds in college, I was left with the impression that modern wicca, witchcraft, etc. is largely just a reaction to/rejection of mainstream judeo-christian religion. I base this impression on the facts that a.) none of the rituals are standardized and are largely based on what the practitioners perceive ancient rituals to have been like, as there is largely no historical record or consistent tradition, b.) its practitioners are people who consider themselves outcasts, misfits, "special," etc., and c.) it is a fringe phenomenon - its community base hasn't developed that much and likely won't.

Does this invalidate it? Perhaps. I don't believe witchcraft can stand on its own legs absent the mainstream religions to react against, i.e. become a rebel without a cause. A part of the role of religion in society is to create standards of community and order, and to foster social mores. Generally, irrespective of how the capital-T Truth plays itself out, I think this role is a good thing, and I don't think witchcraft has this going for it.

Ultimately, I think the trick is for no one, whether Christian or pagan, to take their religion or themselves too seriously, as that's what leads to more problems on this ball of mud than anything else!
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #23
AM: Okay, you have a biased viewpoint. You also have a sentence structuring which... needs help, let alone the grammar. "stand on its own legs absent the mainstream religions", "foster social mores.". Hmm... as for the viewpoint in itself... religion itself as a whole is more of an art than science anyway, there are far too many over-generalizations, "A part of the role of religion in society is to create standards of community and order" really? And I thought all this time it was eating waffles! But does it really do that? Nooooo.

"capital-T Truth" let me guess, you also believe that the government always make the right decisions? Seriousness? This is the LAST place on Earth you want to preach lack of seriousness, all of us either have it already of will never change.

As for witchcraft and wicca in general... it's a belief, something to do, doesn't mean it is reality, but there's been no proof for or against so take your sides or whatever. Bleh, feh, meh. Onna stick.

Maaya: Hello Mr. President!

Dareva: Of course they can be found with metal detectors! But if you find one you've got to be careful - they can get nasty when cornered. If they bother you just poke it with a big stick until it goes away IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) .

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #24
Trust me, FBM, I'm frightened enough by the holes in my socks. I'm saving my big sticks for the bed spiders. The unicorns can have the drawer if they want it. IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

Pages