Over my rather deceased cadaver. Rrrrrrr.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Over my rather deceased cadaver. Rrrrrrr.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #0
I just heard of a government scheme. The controversial "ID cards" are to go on a pilot scheme next week and are to be compulsory in far less than a decade.

Not only do you have to give all sorts of personal information, have fingerprints and retina scans taken, carry it at all times, but you have to PAY £20 to get one ontop of those aswell. Anyone who cannot produce one upon request can be arrested.

It is an invasion of privacy, an infraction of civil liberties AND contravenes human rights. Information is gathered on you which you aren't legally allowed to see.

IN ADDITION, they are putting forth a new childrens bill which reduces our rights and allows files to be kept which anyone EXCEPT the child to see it.

RUDDY ASS-RAPING PANTALOONS ANONYMOUS!!!

Rollocks to that is what I say! Damnable governmental wimpish liars! GRARGH!

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #1
> Anyone who cannot produce one upon request
> can be arrested
That is already like that in France. That is pretty cool.
But I never take it. So I always feel very courageous.

> childrens bill which reduces our rights and
> allows files to be kept which anyone EXCEPT
> the child to see it
What do you mean ? (I really do not understand)
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #2
And exactly where is this happenining? Not in the US, hopefully...

(Oh wait, nevermind, it's not in the US. You don't pay in pounds in the US, but still, where is that happening?)

--------------------
Chance Forums
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a right to privacy.

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
FBM is a British chap, so I'm assuming he's speaking about Britain. (Also, as far as I know, the UK is the only country that uses pounds for currency -- but I could very easily be wrong about that.)

The part about children seems like steaming fascist extrement, but I am not sure about the ID card part. I'd like to hear a more thorough treatment of why it's a violation of civil liberties. In general, I oppose the government gathering any information about an individual that the individual is not allowed to see, but I'd like specifics, if anyone knows them.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #5
We aren't the only country that uses "pounds" but most of the other have something else in the name. We ARE the only ones to write it as a plain £.

The reasons against are best expounded by John Wadham, director of Liberty. (An organisation in Britain which protect civil liberties) http://www.urban75.org/legal/id.html

Other websites such as the Home Office, the BBC or the Government ones can give more information. But do bear in mind that most of the information will be fairly biased. Especially on the Beeb.

As for the new childrens bill. I must confess that I only know outlines due to having heard it off of a friend of mine who is going to the next march in London to protest agianst it. Oh well.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #6
You are right.
Always manifest during april, mai, june, july, when the weather is pretty.
We learned that some two hundred years ago.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by FatBatMonkey:

We aren't the only country that uses "pounds" but most of the other have something else in the name. We ARE the only ones to write it as a plain £.

Until they took to the Euro, Italians used £ for lire, and as far as I know, Turks still use the £ symbol.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #8
Over your dead body? Well, since you asked. [Jame draws sword, pauses.] Keep in mind, this is only because you said "over my dead body!" [SLICE! Afterwards, Jame goes and makes a clone, and a braintape, so that FatBatMonkey still lives.]

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #9
omg ur fun lol

Also, once again, I feel happy to live in Finland. We haven't that kind of things (yet).

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #10
Oh, don't worry. The Establishment arranges mock elections every few years, so that you can choose the hair colour of their front-end bootlicker. That's democracy. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #11
I shan't get one until they're compulsory and even then I won't carry mine. However, you don't have to produce them on demand. At present the idea is that you'll have to produce them at a police station within a certain time period. Of course, given Blunkett's authoritarian lunatic tendencies, this might change but I doubt it because we have few enough police anyway without them having to arrest me and a couple of million other stubborn liberals.

Of course, we still haven't got a proper Freedom of Information Act.

And FBM, why is the BBC so biased? Do you refer to this issue in particular or is this the eternal right-wing paranoid fantasy of the BBC as Fourth International?

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
Well the thing about the Beeb is that even though they are supposed to be independent of governent control, they seem to be as government-friendly as possible. For example, many a time I have seen a government scandal plastered across the ITV news, yet on Beeb news, there is no sign of it. Nor do they voice any really opinions. And the Hutton report was a travesty, but listening to the Beeb, you would think that the sun shines out of Andrew Gilligan, Geoff Hoon, Alastair Campbell and Blair's a-(AHEM)-s. In fact the verdict completely contradicted the evidence given. But the Beeb went strolling on...

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #13
You're trying to argue two sides of the same argument and seemingly viewing things through the bias of your political viewpoint.

Certainly the BBC went too far in bending over backward after the Hutton travesty, but much of the corporation is very angry at the management for that and previously it was rather more anti-government.

If you could give an example of a scandal on ITV the BBC did not report (which was proved to be true rather than just an unconfirmed rumour that'd help your case.) For my own edification, it'd also be nice if you could provide me with an example of ITV News actually having any proper news.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #14
This is sounding suspiciously like the Mark of the Beast mentioned in Revalations (that's in the Bible, for those who don't know). If that reference is too abstract, here's two book series that make it a bit more obvious: John Bibee's Spirit Flyer series and Jenkins and LaHay's Left Behind series. Just some food for thought...

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #15
Next you'll be saying that the letters of David Blunkett add up to 666.

I demand my barcoded and microchipped forehead, not these lame half-apocalyptic attempts!

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #16
Okey. The most recent example I can remember (dang memory) is the one about that woman in David Blunkett's staff. The one who knowingly let in thousands of eastern-European illegal immigrants.

ITV and Channel 4 (both ITN productions) reported it quickly. The Beeb took two days longer. Long after it was news.

Also, talking of Blunkett, (yes, he is barcoded Khoth, part of the new ID scheme, it's just invisible IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) ) one thing I have really learnt from that damn sadist is that just because someone is blind, it doesn't mean that they are patient or nice either. Biatch.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Until they took to the Euro, Italians used £ for lire, and as far as I know, Turks still use the £ symbol.
Actually, the Lire symbol was ₤, as aooposed to £. I foyu go into the charactor Map in windows, you can see it right next to the frank symbol.(₣)

[ Tuesday, April 27, 2004 13:18: Message edited by: Sylak of Borg ]

--------------------
-Sylak, the inadvertant killer of threads
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #18
FBM, you completely misreported that and the BBC actually reported it when the story originally appeared about six months ago and sank without a trace, only for another complaint to be made.

They weren't in fact immigrants since they'd got permission. The problem was that the permission had perhaps been granted without proper checks.

As an aside, do you belong to the 'xenophobic at all costs' wing of the Tory party or the 'prepared to accept a Polish plumber so long as we accept they are an always will be subhuman' wing?

PantherShadow, I might believe that ID cards prove Revelations if

1. John of Patmos had a credible chance of passing a breathalyser or a drugs test
2. If the Christian world hadn't already decided that the world would end in around 50AD, 100AD, 1000AD, 1033AD and in the case of the Russian Orthodox Church in 1492AD.
3. You could come up with sources other than cheap novels.
4. If I lobotomised myself.
5. If the things mentioned previous to the Mark of the Beast in that book had all happened
6. If it were remotely credible that what amounts to little more than a combination of a passport and a security device for the government is a sign of the Apocalypse.

David Blunkett may be a heavy-handed moron, but he's not the Antichrist.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #19
Ah third time in a week. A veritable personal record.

(snarls) draws claws. Now, what was that again?

First person to accus me of racism, is the first to be flambe.

I am NOT racist. I actually belong to "we are all human, whoever or wherever we are" group of humanity. I am in no way xenophobic either. I have nothing against any single human being. I DO have something against when those people form groups, usually because those groups have major collective faults that they should be smart enough to have prevented.

I don't like the French as a nation because the nation seems xenophobic, I, however have nothing against any French individual. I don't like the Americans because as a nation they are heavy-handed and support the Israelies, I, however have nothing against any American individual (except Dubya, but that's because he's a leader. Not a big fan of leaders, they seem synonmous with "idiot").

All individual humans are not at fault in any way, whatever they do. Simply because they follow the laws of Humanics.

Oh Rantilicious! With extra claws!
Bleh, feh, meh.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

I don't like the French as a nation because the nation seems xenophobic

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

I am NOT racist. I actually belong to "we are all human, whoever or wherever we are" group of humanity. I am in no way xenophobic either.
I don't like the Americans because as a nation they are heavy-handed and support the Israelies

Congratulations: you are every below-average Briton born after 1770.

[ Friday, April 30, 2004 13:40: Message edited by: Custerbly Numb ]

--------------------

Shocking, isn't it?
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #22
Oooooo! Madam!

If I was, I'd start referring to America as a "colony". But I'm not going to.

I just don't like the groupings that humanity has come up with. I have nothing against the individuals themselves.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
I just don't like the groupings that humanity has come up with.
Do you have something better? Because if not, don't complain.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #24
In case your history fails you, the treaty of Paris was in 1782.

--------------------

Shocking, isn't it?

Pages