More classical music and such...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: More classical music and such...
Warrior
Member # 4081
Profile #25
I have played the piano for 25 yrs. Having said that, I hate listening to classical music, but I love to play it. I have several books with nothing but sonatas and sonatinas by various composers and I like them all. I also like the sound of a cello but never played one.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit:

Arrrrrrrgh! Baroque! Hate! Hate!
I feel your pain. My girlfriend is an avid violineriser (whatever you call them, with the bows and the coolbie rosin stuff), and she likes to champion Franz Liszt's cause at almost every opertunity.

I remember one time we got trashed and played in a stairwell in the Patience Thoms building - THAT was fun. The sound echoes really well in stairways. Oh! And when we butchered some Dvorak in Queen Street Mall for a Film assignment...

But yes, classical musicians seem to perscibe to a spectrum; at one end is the urbane, educated suave bastard; the other, a git. Somewhere (probably more towards the git side) sits the Software Engineering student with way too little time on his hands to be jamming with his gf.

Md.
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Hawkgirl:

Forgive me for not knowing the proper names for these things, but do you play the 27-stringed guitar thing or the small drums? Or perhaps you play the instrument that provides the drone?
drones were made by the Hurdy Gurdy. And there are lots small drums. 27 string guitar? Perhaps you mean sitar?

I'm a percussionist and a bit of a pianist as well as a composer. I like just about any type of music (quite literally). The only music I won't listen to is music which demostrates (through lyrics) ignorance. I won't name any names, but I'm sure people can come up with a few modern groups who might be on that list.. but anyway.

Why is pre-baroque offensive? There is renaissance music which includes Byrd, Palestrina and others and before that was medieval which were people like Machaut. Plus both eras had tons of folk sons and dances which were anonymous. One reason why they may sound odd is because they tuned their instruments differently and we play the songs (to the best of our ability) on modern instruments whose tuning derives from the Baroque era (Bach, et al.).
All that aside, this doesn't take much into account non-western music (native american, africano, oriental, etc) all of which I also like.

--------------------
-Daravon
Shock Trooper
Member # 1506
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Tentacle Monster:

I'm curious, how creative are classical composers?
Keep in mind that many classical composers that we consider geniuses completely revolutionized what was thought of as music in their day.

Take Beethoven for example. He broke the rules of proper treatment of symphonies. Where there was supposed to be a minuet, he wrote a scherzo. In an age where clapping after every movement was acceptable, he tried to make the ending of every movement so indiscernable that people would not know to clap or not.

Just because we don't find his music revolutionary today doesn't mean it wasn't. In fifty years, I can guarantee you that kids will find the modern music of today "uncreative" simply because it's been done many times over since.

--------------------
desperance.net -- Come on in, we don't bite. Well, I don't.
Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #29
Music classic can be useful at least for :

(I read in a study that) spiders like classic music, and if you play it in a room, they even sometimes move inside...

(not bad for the spiderweb forum IMAGE(wink0000.gif) )
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
I've never had any trouble with spiders when I play music. Are you saying I'm awful? That's uncharitable and uncalled for. Hmph!

?Alorael, who would like to see evidence of these musically inclined spiders. He may find a whole new way to start up an exermination service with musical interludes!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #31
I've played violin about... 17 years? Yep.

I don't listen to classical music actively but I play it. They didn't teach other styles at the conservatory (/conservatoire/whatever it is) where I studied about 15 years. IMAGE(frown000.gif)

I've learned some folk music and the like (fortunately it's usually simple) in addition to "plain" classic music. I've been a street musician for a summer or two.

What do I like? Well, Kabalewski comes to mind first. (That's modern and Russian.) Probably many early modern classics. Mozart, Bach, and others before romanticism are nice but I get bored with them easier.

I wish I could play guitar as well as violin.

About spiders - I would welcome them to our apartment in summertime. They could eat some of the irritating flies. Must play more...

[ Friday, April 16, 2004 11:58: Message edited by: Milu ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Hawkgirl:

Take Beethoven for example ... he tried to make the ending of every movement so indiscernable that people would not know to clap or not.
That's pretty damn cool. Not many musicians of our day could claim to have messed with the heads of the establishment as well as he must've.

You rock, Beethoven.

Md.
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #33
My music teacher forced my class to listen to Haydn's "Surprise" really loud once.

I think my entire class got a heart attack. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #34
Beethoven also wrote extremely hard-to-play endings in many of his works. He did it just to "show those snobby virtuoso-pianists", according to himself.

Yeah, good old 'Hoven really kicks ass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
"There are and will be a thousand princes; there is only one Beethoven."

?Alorael, who is always amazed by how eccentric and arrogant the vast majority of classical composer were. Then he looks at modern songwriters and sees that some things never change.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #36
I like quite a few things mentioned so far but I do think that Beethoven's 9th needs a mention, as does Tchaikovsky's 1812 William Tell Overture. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy is quite good too. Some JS Strauss would also be worth a mention.

I may not be able to play an instrument to save my life but at least I'll always have crazy hallucinations.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #37
BAH! Enough of this. Instead of assuming Beethoven was a random drunken, wretched man, why don't you read a quote of his. Perhaps you'll change your hasty judgement:

(From "Composers on Music" edited by Josiah Fish)
(From a letter to Breitkopf and Hartel, Vienna, April 22, 1801)

"Advise your reviewer to show more intelligence and discretion, especially with regards to the products of younger authors, for these reviews could easily discourage men who might otherwise do better work... your reviewer extolled men of minor importance who indeed, among the better artists here, are almost lost, decent and hardworking as they may be."

(From a sketch book, June 2, 1804)
"Finale more and more simple, likewise all my piano music. God knows why my piano music still and always makes the worst impression on me..."

Now, I don't really want to quote much more, if you're really interested in what Beethoven has to say you should buy the book. But from the six or seven pages of Beethoven's writing, one gets a picture of a rather kind and compassionate man.

In fact, most of the earlier classical composers (before, say, the 1800's) seem to be a rather benevolent crowd. Wagner, Carl Nielson, and Debussy, on the other hand, give somewhat worse impressions.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #38
Debussy =\

If I hear Golliwog's Cakewalk one more time, I'm nuking France.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #39
Oh?

I feel the same about Pachebel's Canon. Too long in one shop with a repeating cd and tinny speakers is enough to make me want to go back in time and strangle Pachebel.

[ Saturday, April 17, 2004 16:52: Message edited by: premonition ]

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Boeing:

My music teacher forced my class to listen to Haydn's "Surprise" really loud once.

I think my entire class got a heart attack. IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

That's frickin' awsome. IMAGE(biggrin0.gif)

--------------------
-Daravon
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #41
Hey, Debussy wasn't nearly the class of Wagner! Also, I'm ready to forgive anyone who could write something like La Mer.

But I guess Alorael is right about the arrogance in general. Even Mozart refused to cut up his own food himself.
Apprentice
Member # 4162
Profile Homepage #42
Does anyone have suggestiosn for organ music ?

I have Toccatta and Fugue, something else, a bit of Haendal (sp). But Im not an especially avid listener to music. Classical music is probably the most frequent of my choices, because it's more preferable as background noise.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Thunvael:

Does anyone have suggestiosn for organ music ?
Organ music eh? My favorite composer would tell you to go grab some Camille Saint-Saëns. Liszt often refered to SS as the greatest organ player of all time.

quote:
Originally written by premonition:

I feel the same about Pachebel's Canon. Too long in one shop with a repeating cd and tinny speakers is enough to make me want to go back in time and strangle Pachebel.
Oh yes, give me a time-machine, PLEASE. Same goes for all the other stinking Canons, they're all obnoxious.

Md.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #44
Pachelbel's Canon is actually quite beautiful if you don't listen to it over, and over, and over, and over, and... Anyway, it's good. Just try not to overdose, or it's ruined.

?Alorael, who is a fan of the Telemann canons as well. He's always impressed by canon writers. To think of multiple lines of a score in such a way that they work not only with each other but with the bars ahead and behind must be truly brain-busting.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #45
We had to listen to "Surprise" in music appreciation. We were prepared for it in part, and still most of us nearly jumped out of our chairs.
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #46
Thats' why it's a 'surprise' IMAGE(tongue01.gif)

--------------------
-Daravon
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #47
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
To think of multiple lines of a score in such a way that they work not only with each other but with the bars ahead and behind must be truly brain-busting.
I think canons are probably written one measure at a time: that way you can come up with a melody for a given bar that will work with a certain number of previous bars, all of which you've already written to work with their predecessors, etc.

--------------------
who?
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #48
Have any of you heard of a pianist named Rafael Orozco? I bought a CD of him playing Rachmaninoff's 4 concertos and the Paganini Rhapsody, and it's absolutely incredible. I like him more than Horowitz or Rubenstein. I myself had never heard of him until a few days ago.

And, do any of you know Rachy's 4th concerto? What do you think of it?

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00

Pages