Ranks

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ranks
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #25
I eat stars for breakfast. That's why I'm missing a few. IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #26
Actually, no. You weren't rated until just now.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #27
HO HO HO I HAVE A 2.92

THAT'S ALMOST A THREE OH MY GAWD I RULE

HO HO HO

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #28
Does Karma really matter that much? All it is is stars under your name. They might have had a point but in the end they're just stars. Kinda reminds me of a childrens story about how giving stars and dots doesn't matter cuase in the end it's that we belive in ourself that counts. Not what other think.

Anyone know what story I'm talking about? I really like that story, I going to go to B&N and buy it.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Lifecrafter
Member # 233
Profile #29
It's a Dr. Suess book entitled "The Sneetches". IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
I'm just too selfish to be Zen. I mean, once you lose yourself and reach total enlightenment you don't care what the answer was in the first place. Ultimately a few good friends and a bag of Doritos is a better investment.

There is no such thing as an over-active imagination.

Hmm... These games are addictive and quite possibly dangerous. I fear the FDA will start regulating RPGs.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #30
Dammit, TM is .4 higher than me! And I can't vote him lower! What am I to do?

I've got a few people with votes of 3 or 4, I know that, but most are 5 or 1. Mostly 1's. You're right once again, Aran; people either vote because they're pissed, or very impressed. The 3's and 4's came from boredom, so there's a third, but... anyway...

On a more useful note, what exactly is the karma vote weighting system? Someone told me that the earlier you vote, the more it counts (the first vote counts more than the twenty-first, in other words), and I've also heard that the post count of the voter decides the weight (a guru's opinion would count far more than that of an apprentice)... which is true, if either?

EDIT: I remember that story! The sneetches with stars thought themselves better than those without, so those without found some wandering salesman guy to apply stars, then the old starred sneetches got theirs removed to look different, and the new starred ones got theirs removed while the others got theirs replaced, until it was one continuous line - get it removed, get it added, removed, added... until the machines broke down, or something, and the machine man was insanely rich, and the sneetches poor but disillusioned and friendly to all, regardless of stars. How touching. But most Spiderwebbers would agree that having five stars is better than having none, and anyway, we can't change the stars ourselves...

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 15:00: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

Alec, for example. Sure, he debates and gets people angry, but dig deeper and you'll find the sunny, bubbly man waiting to break free. Either that or you'll lose your sanity.

I don't think I'll ever see Alec as "sunny", so I must have been hurled down the latter path. Perhaps if you dig deeper, it's like molten lava. It's really hot and sort of bright like the "sun", it's "bubbly", but it's really dangerous.

I was wondering if there was anybody out there who appreciated the Sneetches as much as I do?

[ Sunday, April 11, 2004 16:26: Message edited by: Dessart Plop ]

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #32
quote:
[b]Does Karma really matter that much? All it is is stars under your name. They might have had a point but in the end they're just stars. Kinda reminds me of a childrens story about how giving stars and dots doesn't matter cuase in the end it's that we belive in ourself that counts. Not what other think.

Anyone know what story I'm talking about? I really like that story, I going to go to B&N and buy it.

[/b]

To me, karma doesn't matter. I'm far from an active member, so not much members know me. So not much members had the chance to rate me.

In my case, it wouldn't make any difference if I was active. Everyone just would keep rating me filthy, and correct.

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #33
I have made a habit of aiming for a 2* rating; I like to be dirty. On the other hand, I keep mine private anymore. No point in poking bears.

Karma has no impact, and I'd think we'd lynch Vogel if he tried to introduce one. It's too influenced by idiots who spam relentlessly to get large post counts, hordes of idiots who really have no idea who they're rating or why, and people like Djur and I who give people who beg karma 1* automatically.

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 04:52: Message edited by: Nemo Custer Impune Lacessit ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Apprentice
Member # 4243
Profile #34
karma dosnt matter to me that much but i would still like to see what people think of me
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #35
Hmmm... Am I the only one who gives 5 stars to everyone just to make them feel good? :confused:

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 12:45: Message edited by: Syntyrael ]

--------------------
Only the insane equate pain with success.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #36
probably, no one really cares. I wouldn't want to spend my time clicking on peoples' karma ratings then putting in five stars for no reason.

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Apprentice
Member # 4243
Profile #37
if i were you id give everyone what they deserve
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
Go far away from here, you cretinous oaf.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #39
ouch IMAGE(frown000.gif)

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 14:58: Message edited by: Syntyrael ]

--------------------
Only the insane equate pain with success.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #40
It's refreshing to see that for once a discussion hasn't been a total waste of time. Did anyone else notice that Mind has changed his opinion? It's nice to see someone rethinking their stance, based on discussions on the board IMAGE(smile000.gif)

quote:
written by Mind on 7th April
Karma does matter

quote:
written by Mind on 13th April
karma doesn't matter

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 16:18: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #41
Karma does matter IN GENERAL.
It tells what people think of you, most of the time.
If you post over 10 posts per day and have 1 karma, that's far from good.

Karma doesn't matter TO ME.
Nobody rates me because I'm not very active in the first place, and only on the general boards.
If you post only very few posts per day and have 1 karma, that's ok.

[ Tuesday, April 13, 2004 22:36: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit

Pages