Ranks

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ranks
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #0
Why are the required posts for ranks so high? It's a stimulation to spam. In my opinion, the number of required posts for ranks should decrease drastically.

Believe me, although I'm still an apprentice, I can know; I once was a very active member of this forum?
Guess why I was so active.
The only reason why I posted was to increase my post count, while I had absolutely no fun in doing so.

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Apprentice
Member # 4213
Profile #1
We can always ignore the ranks etc., mmmmkay?

--------------------
It came from the Misc Abyss...

Currently breaking my head:
-In Victoria: An Empire under the Sun
-In BoA Editor
-Because of bad weather
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #2
Do you really think that ranks matter that much? I respect certain people's opinions with low posts counts a hell of a lot more then I do some people with high ones.

Spammers don't spam to get ranks. They spam because they're idiots/eight year olds/self-hating screwed up teenagers with a attention seeking tendancy.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Warrior
Member # 4081
Profile #3
I pay more attention to Karma ratings. If someone attains the rank of "your postliness" and has a Karma of 1 or 2, that pretty much says it all. Obviously Karma can still be manipulated by friends (or enemies) but overall is a decent indication of general usefullness.

Just look at Morgan with karma 4 and 36 votes. That means more to me than his Guru status.

[ Tuesday, April 06, 2004 12:12: Message edited by: blueman00 ]
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #4
There will only be one "postliness" and his posts are both frequent and worth reading.
Apart from that, it doesn't take long to see what a person is like, whatever their karma or ranking.

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #5
All it takes to send one's karma rating into permanent 2-3 territory is one vote from a malicious member with thousands of posts.

Saunders is right- the only, and best, way to make any sort of competent judgement regarding the usefulness and value of a member is to read his/her posts, not scan over karma ratings or titles.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Warrior
Member # 4081
Profile #6
I stand corrected.

Of course what could be valuable to me (worther of 5 karma) may be pointless to others or considered as spam (1 karma)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Karma is meaningless, and post count even more so. Some of the highest post counts are from pure spam, while many of the lowest (like Morgan) are actually new accounts for old and respected members.

If you spam to get a better title, you'll get a very special title indeed: Canned. Persist in your spamming ways, and you'll move a letter up and become Banned!

?Alorael, who still has no intention of becoming the first Your Postliness. The deadline approaches quickly, though. This could be the end...!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #8
What are the rankings 4|\|y\/\/4y?

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #9
http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=faq

--------------------
Chance Forums
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

Do you really think that ranks matter that much? I respect certain people's opinions with low posts counts a hell of a lot more then I do some people with high ones.

Spammers don't spam to get ranks. They spam because they're idiots/eight year olds/self-hating screwed up teenagers with a attention seeking tendancy.

Look, in my previous account I was horribly bored. I didn't spam, but I did post terribly much, to earn a better title. After 3/4 years, I was a Guru. People like I was then are horribly bored and should get a life. You should pity them. In fact, it hasn't improved much; I'm still this bored, worthless, pour fool, desperatly searching a goal and tired of this curse.

As I said, I always tried not to spam, but it is true that I'm an idiot.

Karma does matter, though. It tells you what people think of you.

[ Tuesday, April 06, 2004 23:00: Message edited by: Mind ]

--------------------
I'm not cursed at birth like my Avernum characters, but my birth is my curse.
-The Great Misfit
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #11
The problem with karma is it is indiscriminate of the people voting for you. Say Hitler suddenly joins the boards. He would most probably rate me as 1, but most would consider this a positive thing.

Similarly, there is a long tradition of Spiderweb idiots who it would be considered a good thing to be hated by. Karma in no way reflects this.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #12
I don't see that karma matters (and yes, I'm aware this is a opinion stated most often by people with karma of 3 or higher).

For me it works like this.

There are certain people on this board who I have a lot of respect for, based on what I see as the quality of their posts. These are the people whose opinions I value, and I can sometimes pick up their opinions of me in the ways they respond to my posts in discussion threads. That's the type of feedback I look for - not karma.

It works in reverse too - if I don't think much of somebody, and they call me an idiot, so what? I don't like their other opinions so I don't have to accept their judgement of me either.

I know I can't please all of the people all of the time, and I'm not trying to do that. Nobody is ever going to liked by everybody.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Karma is often used as a weapon instead of a description. For example, someone starts flaming, someone tells them to stop, and then a mod locks the topic. It's not unusual for the one who points out that flaming is against the CoC and the moderator to get ratings of one. That makes no sense.

Even when karma is used properly, many people rate before they really know people. Alec, for example. Sure, he debates and gets people angry, but dig deeper and you'll find the sunny, bubbly man waiting to break free. Either that or you'll lose your sanity.

?Alorael, who doesn't like karma at all. He likes it even less for being impossible to avoid. You can rate people even if they turn karma off, although it doesn't do much.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #14
I don't spam posts to raise my ranks. I just post when I feel like it.

I ignore Karma ratings. They don't reflect much.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Spongiform Stug:

[QB]All it takes to send one's karma rating into permanent 2-3 territory is one vote from a malicious member with thousands of posts.QB]
I agree. I started out with a karma of one from one post. I've tried to shake that, but just gave up. Now, i persist in trying to contribute to the boards.

--------------------
Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!

Bod rules!!

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #16
most of the oldbies rated me 1 when i returned 2 years ago. look at me now. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #17
Wise Man's higher than me? And not just on marijuana? Oh horrors of horrors...

I doubt that my karma will ever get above 3. I've got one of the highest post counts on Spiderweb (really, gurus aren't in the majority) and also one of the highest number of karma ratings (in the upper 75%, anyway), and no matter how many new ratings I get, it doesn't change much. I've probably got some karma ratings of 1 by the bigger Despers, the ones with plenty o' posts, and I can't shake that off. In other words, some people like me and some people don't. I don't need a karma rating to tell me that.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Ratings are misleading though. There are members who I gave five which would imho deserve a zero, but I can't change it. I gave others a one, who would really deserve much better. Oh well.

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3980
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Alorael wrote:
many people rate before they really know people
Agreed. However, when do you know that you know anybody, "really"?
In addition, people change - and especially on this board there have been several fortunate examples.

The problem is that the ratings cannot be updated.
It would help if one could rate single posts - and openly.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #20
Yep, Aran, that's the problem. You can't rate people when you know nothing about them, and when you do know something, they're already such complex personalities that you can't really rate them on a 1-5 scale.

The longer you are on SW, the harder it gets to rate people. But that's just good, I guess.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
I don't think I've rated more than 5 people this year yet... whereas last year, not a week would pass in which I didn't rate 5. I guess it'll lessen more.

The problem is, you're most incited to rate someone when you're either enormously pissed at the person, or intensely admiring, at this specific moment. I bet that more than 80% of all votes in total are either ones or fives.

--------------------
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #22
I dont think anyone really bothers to rate 2, 3, or 4. No one really has levels of hate or like, its usually either, "I hate this person so much I'm going to take some of my time and rate them 1," or, "This person deserves a good rating; five time."

Ranks never really bothered me; the people who tend to post more, are people with more time to spend. I wouldn't mind a custom title, but I know better than to ask IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) .

--------------------
Live teh fez.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #23
I automatically rate anyone discussing karma one star.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Good policy. I'll shut up about it now (except I think I got one star from you long ago, Djur IMAGE(tongue00.gif) )

--------------------

Pages