is english a first language??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: is english a first language??
Warrior
Member # 3117
Profile #0
Just a question, not to be mean or anything, but do most of you speak english as a first language or something else?? Because as i've been scanning all the boards i've been encountering some pretty lousy spelling out there. Not even slang or anything, just really terrible spelling of stuff. Or maybe some people here are just really young and are failing english class... who knows...

--------------------
If your buddy is trying to hook up with a girl, you may sabotage him only in a manner that gives you no chances of getting any either.
-The Code

Pahk ya cah in hahvad yahd?? What ah ya? retahded?!

http://www.unwind.com/jokes-funnies/locality/boston.shtml
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #1
My first language is English, and I'm just one of several members around here who consistently write with impeccable spelling and grammar.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
We have a large population of Finns and assorted other non-native speakers (or typers, as the case may be). We also have members who don't spell impeccably and occasionally make grammatical errors.

A third possibility is that you've been reading posts that include the time-honored Spiderweb tradition of mockery through syntax. The most egregious of errors, when committed by those who normally have no trouble with English, are generally recognized as intentional and humorous.

—Alorael, who si not oposed to ocasionle speling hummor. It cna be very funney altho this signatore is just stupid.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4025
Profile Homepage #3
I'm obsessed with my grammer and spelling, and will check it before posting. Some of the the people on this website are probably Canadian, and you know how they are IMAGE(is english a first language_files/wink.gif) (no offense to Candadians, I'm just bored). Also, many of the people on boards are just stupid, or lazy.

--------------------
All hail to me, for my best time in MineSweeper is 150 :)
The Supreme Rule
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
My first language is german, I abuse these boards to learn english. <turns of the pages of a bulky dictionary with regrets for the lack of vocabulary and sighs>
It's a great place to learn, also the games. If I would be an english teacher, I'd gave my class Avernum for home work.

IMAGE(is english a first language_files/smile.gif)
( ^
""))

--------------------
site of the month:
about an australian artist
who is a real cyborg
- supported by BURMA SHAVE
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Auf ein Deutsches Message Board* würde ich sprechen, aber weiß ich nicht wo sie sind, und mein Deutsch ist ganz schwach.
(* Is there a German equivalent for the term Message Board?)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
my first language is Cantonese.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by -Red Mage-:

I'm obsessed with my grammer and spelling, and will check it before posting. Some of the the people on this website are probably Canadian, and you know how they are IMAGE(is english a first language_files/wink.gif) (no offense to Candadians, I'm just bored). Also, many of the people on boards are just stupid, or lazy.
You should talk. Har har.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #8
I'm not a native english speaker, but I've given up my mother tongue to help in the war against terrorism!

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #9
I'm english, but I can also be part BOOGEYMAN at times.

--------------------
-TEH BOOGEYMAN STRIKES AGAIN

--------------------

And then there's always a Chance nearby...
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #10
English is my first language, but I'm fairly fluent in German (I'm part Austrian) and I'll be learning Japanese next year.

--------------------
Chance Forums.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #11
TM, hab keine Ahnung, wo die deutschen Bretter sind, bin nie in irgendwelchen Diskussionsforen ausser hier, aber ich kann nachschauen. The correct translation would be "Anzeigenbrett", but nobody uses that term. We say message board too or "Diskussionsforum" or B-log or "Schwarzes Brett" (that's more for pinned slips of paper). I'll check it out for you, where they are.
quote:
... I've given up my mother tongue to help in the war against terrorism!
Emtar Ihrno what ???? Is the point, that you spoke Arab??

Oh, Reality Corp. shows his **stars! Fortune favors the brave.

--------------------
site of the month:
about an australian artist
who is a real cyborg
- supported by BURMA SHAVE
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #12
My first language is English, and I spell correctly while awake. IMAGE(is english a first language_files/tongue.gif)
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #13
Je ne parlerai que le français. Je peux parler l'anglais, mais pour vous? Avares, tous la sorte.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #14
In order to be taken seriously by anyone worth being taken serious by, one must pay at least some attention to decent syntax and grammar. Typos are understandable as we are all human, but the there are people out there who refuse to type out the "yo" in you and are similarly lazy with other words that need not be mentioned.
As tolerant as I try to be, half the time I want to crush these people under a crate full of Webster's hard-covered wrath. The other half I just remind myself that the English language in its own rules is more contradictory than any religion and shrug it off.

As to the question at hand, yes, English is my first language and I try to at least appear to know what I'm doing with it. I'll make mention that I took a two-year study of the German language, but the amount I know of it is laughable in the utmost

---Your American accented maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
I speak English, un peu de français, and enough Japanese to yell "Iyé, wakarimasu ka?!" at those who annoy me. Not really fitting, but who's going to know that?

Chandrew, you're not really the one to cast the first stone, with those lowercase i's and imperfect grammar...

EDIT: Neither am I. Well, now I am.

[ Friday, February 27, 2004 17:28: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #16
hey don't steal my throne, Dave. IMAGE(is english a first language_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
Um, which characters are you using for "ye"? As far as I know (rhetorical statement), there is no ye character in Japanese.
You're better off saying "Omoi wa ahou aru", or something.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #18
English is my first and only language. I can claim a smattering of knowledge in Indonesian and French -- just enough to recognise a few words and phrases.

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #19
I speak only English. Efforts to learn other languages have so far come to naught, though I took five years of languages in high school. Three years of French and two years of Latin.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #20
I'm an English speaker. My proficiency at French is not what it was, but still just about at conversational level and I don't get much further than hello in any other spoken tongue.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Shock Trooper
Member # 136
Profile Homepage #21
My first language is Spanish. I studied French and Latin at school, and a little German later. English is just something I use to read in my spare time, and I've only heard it at Oxford English cassettes and a few movies.
But I've noticed the worst in grammar in these boards are we non English speakers, while the worst spelling is that of some native speakers ("Your soilders, wanna a mesion?")
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #22
TM, I learned all of my Japanese from Shogun by James Clavell (other than the first ten numbers, which I learned in school). I just assumed that it was all right, partially because the numbers were right and partially because it's all I have to go by.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #23
Finnish is first language, but I having good ability of english swedish and german all ready.

--------------------
- The Great Mister