The prettiest girl I ever saw

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The prettiest girl I ever saw
Warrior
Member # 3417
Profile Homepage #0
was sipping spiders through a straw?

After reading some of the recent threads, I've come to the conclusion that people are nuts.

However, a question remains.

Do people really eat spiders in their sleep? I'm having a serious hang-up about this, especially since I sleep on the floor most of the time.

More discussion and elaboration is needed. Factual evidence/links/spider studies preferred.

--------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #1
A survey was done and shown on MSNBC that a person eats about a bucketfull of bugs per year without knowing it. Especially in salads, and that kind of stuff.

As for eating spiders in your sleep, why not? If you can eat your teeth in your sleep (the ones that are loose), what's gonna stop you from eating a spider? I mean, you gotta eat something if youre hungy...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #2
When I was a child, I once ran through the garden, shouted something to my friend - and catched a big spider with my mouth. Unconsciously I chewed on it, before I noticed... eeew...
No, I didn't swallow and it was the only spider ever in my mouth and I eat my salad meatless. The eatin'bugs rumour is nonsense.

( IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/frown.gif) )
((())) but I still have scruples about the poor spider.

--------------------
site of the month:
about an australian artist
who is a real cyborg
- supported by BURMA SHAVE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
As I recall, snopes.com thinks the spider-eating thing is an unfounded urban myth.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

No, I didn't swallow and it was the only spider ever in my mouth and I eat my salad meatless. The eatin'bugs rumour is nonsense.

Is it nonsense? Or do you just not think about it when you're eating something? It is the truth, it was proved by MSNBC! Bow down to MSNBC!

I'll try to go find some proof for my theory now...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
I'd say there's a vary good chance of it, but it's not realyl soemthing you have to worry about. It's not like your mouth is a spider Mecca, and as far as I know, no one has ever died of spider consumption in their sleep (well, not the kind of spiders we're talking about here, anyway).

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #6
Spiders are small, easily scared bugs. You are a huge, snorting thing who probably kills spiders every day, more or less uncounsciously. Why would a spider even attempt to come near you?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #7
As far as I know the spider rumor is a myth. Unless your an extremely heavy sleeper, you would wake up if that ever happened, which is unlikely unless you sleep in a closet infested with bugs.

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Syntyrael:

As far as I know the spider rumor is a myth. Unless your an extremely heavy sleeper, you would wake up if that ever happened, which is unlikely unless you sleep in a closet infested with bugs.
Well, I dont wake up even when my dog barks right next to me so I doubt that I would wake up if I had a spider in my mouth IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Warrior
Member # 3897
Profile Homepage #9
IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/m.bmp)

AAH! I don't like the thought of bugs having a party in my mouth while I sleep! I'd better get somewhere safe!

I wonder what nutritional value spiders have? Maybe you could go on a bug diet??

--------------------
The most pointless site in the world!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

George Bush's answer:
We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or it is against us. There is no middle ground here.
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #10
reminds me of the good o' days, i was going to the kitchen, and i saw a moth, i tried swatting it, and like an idiot child normally does, i was shouting at it like a samurai would (hoo-ha!) lol, i was a kid.... give me a break, anyway, while my mouth was open, it flew straight down my throat... yuck!

--------------------
For a good time, play these free rpg's, http://www.r-fate.com/ and http://www.pristontale.com/
I wanna beta test BoA for windows!!!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
gj?

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I'm sure spiders crawl into mouths and are reflexively swallowed, but I wouldn't want to guess how many. It seems like a tendency that would breed out of the spider population fairly quickly.

—Alorael, whose most traumatic bug story would have to be the gnat that crawled down his hear, got stuck, and stayed alive. Nothing is quite like having a gnat buzzing and wriggling in your aural passage.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #13
Eight years ago, while I was on vacation in Calcutta, India, a fly flew directly into my eye, brutally interrupting a stroll I was enjoying with my father and uncle. I consider it rather fortuitous that I suffered no permanent decrease in quality of eye function as a result of the incident. My uncle, being the machismo blowhard that he is, felt the need, immediately after the extraction of the body from my eye, to remark, "Well, at least you killed the fly."

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
That's happened to me on several occasions, and I hope it never happens again. It's painful, and anyway, you don't really want to be walking around downtown with your face red and your eye(s) tearing up. I think Alorael's experience is a bit worse, though.

Ironweed, who knows why spiders do anything? Bugs make no sense. As for getting near a human, though, can you honestly say a spider's never crawled over you? They do it all the time; it's just that your mouth's usually not open, and when it is, you're usually conscious. That's why you're more likely to swallow them reflexively, when you're asleep, than consciously, when you're awake.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I have an absolute phobia of spiders. I really hope that that story isn't true. IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/eek.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #16
Heh. Well, sit and behold at the one with knowlege. Ironically, I happen to know of this myth, and one of its original catalysts.

In 1982, a High School Science book-- published from the classic 2 Authors McDougle & Littel--was released through High Schools throughout the nation. My 9th grade Science teacher told us this story, and since I've actually seen this Science Book...let me reiterate that--OFFICIAL High School Science Book--I believe her story.

The story goes that one day she was flipping through one of these books, suposedly filled with nothing but facts, and found an article that said:
"The average person eats 8 1/2 spiders in their sleep every year."

Well, that day became eventful from that point on. She didn't believe it for one moment. Her reasing was simple.

1) How do you eat 1/2 a spider every year?
2) How do you sleep through eating a spider?
3) What, exactly, is the definition for an
"Average" person.

She immediatly mailed and called various people. (NOTE: 1982 didn't look on e-mail as a very reliable source of comunication. Not to mention the fact not many people had the very expensive service.) Eventually she was told that the only way something like that could get through to the official books was if it was put in there by the ACTUAL authors or publishers. Turns out not even the company that mass produces these books believes everything in them...(great...we're being tought by a book of which has information not even trusted by those who make it...)

After about 2 weeks of work, my former teacher eventually contacted those in charge and got to the bottom of the bogus book article. Well, she was very disapointed...lol. Turns out this book had one problem the authors thought was okay: they ran out of things to put into its side notes, and barely got it to the minimum 347 pages required in High School text books for science at that time. The suposed fact that you eat those spiders in your sleep was made up just for the purpose of filling the book to the point where they can publish it.

Well, they reprinted it without the bogus info. With a little talk with the National Board of Education, they never attempted that stunt again. Fortunatly, they were let go with a small fine of $85,000--the re-printing cost for all those books. Considering there were nearly 5 millon books released nation wide, I think they got off with a slap on the wrist. (Someone paid for the rest of the re-print...85k isn't much when you talk about 5 million books...)

McDougle and Littel then later went on to publish many more of our wounderful books, and various supplements. They're still at it today too! IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/biggrin.gif) Go look, for those of you still in school, at any of your school text books. Chances are you will find its made by McDougle & Littel. Now you know where the myth came from IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/biggrin.gif) . Its actually not that old of a myth...okay fine...I'll admit this is probably only one of the sources. But the information I'm given leads me to believe that this is the catalyst for the entire thing IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/wink.gif)

OH! And as for Snopes.com? Forget them IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/rolleyes.gif) . I have looked at alot of their stuff for months...I gave up on them since they are COMPLETELY biased to almost every myth. They get their information from broad sources like CNN and MSNBC. Some of it I've even found re-worded from sources like MSN and ESPN. (Yes...that last one is a stretch...) Go ahead and trust them if you want...I can't stop ya there...but at least know that they aren't as trusty as the Myth Busters on Discovery channel. At least they test, using real things themselves, the myths they are given. Its kind of wierd when Myth Busters prove something actualy is possible, or has happened, and snopes sais its impossible IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/biggrin.gif) . I rest my case. IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/cool.gif)

[ Monday, February 16, 2004 05:53: Message edited by: SpineRaker ]

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #17
Though there are no bugs in my house i'm a master bug killer. IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/rolleyes.gif)IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/rolleyes.gif)

*Reads the giniis book of world records 1999 edition:One person ate 300 roaches alive to become famous.*

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #18
300 frickin roaches?!
And I thought the worst thing was having 300 spiders crawling around on your body!
And I also have a manic arcanophobia(Sp?)

--------------------
Crom!
No
Beat

I HATE 1337!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
Fear of Magic? IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/tongue.gif) Funny, how a swap of two letters and omitting an h changes the entire meaning.

[ Monday, February 16, 2004 12:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
Uh, Spinester, this "myth" began way before 1982. I really don't think it's all that modern, and anyway, just because a few people have no proof of it doesn't mean it's untrue. I don't know about 8.5, but I'd say a few a year would be reasonable. I've had spiders get very close to me while awake (I say "very close" because I try to avoid them when possible), and I've also had them crawl over me. If your mouth is open, they could crawl inside to explore, or just slip, and you would reflexively swallow them, along with your saliva. I don't mean one per night, but certainly a few times a year.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Warrior
Member # 3417
Profile Homepage #21
OK, I am somewhat relieved and perhaps able to sleep again. The only spiders coming near me in the future will be the GIFTS.

However, I had another problem this week. A bat got into my basement somehow (where I sleep) and took up residence perched on my closet, over my bed. Now, this is not your ordinary garden variety bat, which eats the nasty mouth-spiders, but your man-hating, society hating bat, with little beady eyes to boot. (My daughter tells me its a "common brown bat" but I don't for a minute believe the propaganda put forth as fact on Animal Planet. This is clearly a man-eating bat of the worst sort).

Anyway, between the spider phobia and the bats, I haven't slept for like a week. At least finally yesterday, after days of calling, I finally found a service to come and get the bat. It turns out that bats are not covered by any of the ordinary animal control agencies because they are a) wildlife and b) apparently extremely dangerous due to the various diseases that they carry (at least this is what all of the "no" people tell you). Lo and behold, the bat dies like 3 hours before they show up, so I end up paying $25 for dead bat rescue (not to be confused with deadbeat rescue). This I could have done myself (after some serious psyching up and my trusty asbestos-lined gloves).

The meta-issue of nocturnal snacking is as yet unresolved, and potentially made worse by the absence of my spider-eating bat guardian. But hey, I guess the devil you know....

I realize that this post may not make a lot of sense. Well guess what - you try not sleeping for like a week due to spider/bat-o-phobia and see how coherent you are. They ought to include this as like astronaut training or something.

In the future I will show no mercy to any vermin that come within the same zip code as my mouth. For all you would-be mouth spiders out there, consider yourself warned.

--------------------
This space intentionally left blank.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #22
uuuh, this is evil. How can you even think about killing a bat!

Bats and spiders are probably saving you from tons of flies and bugs and moths who would eat away probably everything when they not would be stopped by bats and spiders ...

___( )
^^ IMAGE(The prettiest girl I ever saw_files/mad.gif) ^^
bats against cruelty

--------------------
site of the month:
about an australian artist
who is a real cyborg
- supported by BURMA SHAVE
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #23
The term mouth-spider is now forever engraved on my brain.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #24
Well, for those living in warmer and wetter climates, a gecko is infinitely more appealing and less dangerous than either a spider or a bat, and probably comparatively effective, if not more efficient, than the other two.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky

Pages