Hostility, Man!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hostility, Man!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #0
I was browsing through the archives of Spiderwb History, more commonly known as the General Forum, and was shocked and appalled, together and at the same time,to see the hostility some people show towards each other. Not only is it "angrying up the blood" to steal a line from Grandpa Simpson, but it is putting of potential newbies! Me being a young 'un myself with just 60 posts am also sensitve and don't like it.

If you don't like someone don't dignify them with a post. You don't look big or clever. That is all.

And yes. I realise the irony of this post. Especially with my karma.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 03:35: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

Go to: Random Stupidity
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #1
Yeah, it's sometimes hard to be a newbie on SW. The feeling passes, however.

I think many of the members here who are having verbal smackdowns actually know each other from before. Therefore, it's not to be taken so seriously.

EDIT: And if you're feeling really down, you can always listen to U2.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 07:38: Message edited by: Ironweed ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Spiderweb does have hostility problems. As long as you stay away from philosophy, politics, and religion, you should be fine. Well, and if nobody takes an instant disliking to you. Oh, and RP's are usually bad news.

—Alorael, who finds this catalog quite depressing. From now on, whenever you have an urge to flame, troll, or verbally dismantle someone, take a moment to think about this: what would Saunders do?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #3
Who's Saunders? IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #4
I assume you're joking. If not, you have quite a bit of homework to complete.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
AHH OMG SUPANIK YOU STUPID IDIOT HOW COULD YOU SAY WE HAVE HOSTILITY PROBLEMS OMG I'M GONNA KILL YOU *pant pant* AHHHHHHH

...oh, wait. What would Saunders do? Hmm... she probably wouldn't even post here... I guess I blew that already...

EDIT: Classical works far better than U2, Ironweed. In fact, listening to U2 has the opposite effect on me. I think it does, at least; my claim is completely baseless, as I rarely listen to U2, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

[ Monday, February 02, 2004 19:29: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Stop whining. If you don't like how people treat each other, you have two choices: ignore it, or leave.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #7
The question I have is this: Is the sort of newbie who is 'put off' by this kind of confrontary behavior going to be a productive member of SW?

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
In other words, YAY4NATURALSELECTION.

...unfortunately, natural selection doesn't always work. On Spiderweb, it leaves a lot of emotionless, flaming, arrogant veterans who really have no idea how to deal with the remaining naive, easily put-out newbies. And how do we know that all those who don't pass through the filter shouldn't pass through the filter? So yes, Alec, some newbies can become productive members of Spiderweb, and there's no point in discouraging them from that.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Yes, but still...

Sorry that's all I've got!

I'm now going to turn this anger/dissapointment into something productive. And try to become a respected member on these boards.

Edit: Who is Saunders?

[ Tuesday, February 03, 2004 03:21: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #10
If im not completely dead-minded (like the time I forgt my age while playing Rune), Saunders is a female mod with a fluffy blade for topic-closing.

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #11
Eh. U2 makes you feel aggressive, David?

It's a crazy world we live in.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #12
"And outside the window, the snow, your touch so hot"
"GRAAAH! Must KILL! MUST DESTROY"
IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #13
Philosophy is evil with these people around. Avoid any conversation with them if it at all deviates from the glories of goatse.

--------------------
Being sexy isn't easy, but someone's got to do it.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
My advice is this: You'll eventually get used to it. I've been here for less than a year (I joined last May), and I already feel that I 'fit in', or at least fit in better than I did at the start.

And note one thing:

These boards may seem massive with ~4000 members, but we're only a few hundred who post here. In that size of community, *you* actually have an impact on what is happening, strange though it may seem. So rather than leave in disappointment, how about staying around and try changing it? IMAGE(Hostility, Man!_files/wink.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #15
I don't know who you're talking to, but that's just evil to tell someone to engage in debate with these people. SPARE HIM!

--------------------
Being sexy isn't easy, but someone's got to do it.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #16
I think I'll stick around. Although most probably cos I need a question answered! Thanks for restoring my faith in good-will!

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #17
What makes you think Saunders doesn't have a mean side?

At the end of the day, there's going to be a little hostility. There's not as much as there once was and if it's too much for you to deal with, you're just not desensitised enough to fit in. If you can't deal with some topics, don't read them. If you can't deal with most, find a different messageboard. There aren't huge amounts of hate being flung around here and I don't think it's reasonable to expect those there to change their style, particularly when most new members are mostly interested in the game topic forums.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #18
But whatever you do, if you're really that sensitive, don't go to the desperance forums.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

-----------------------------------
Visit the Smuggler's Alliance
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #19
Sice I have created much of the Hostility on this board, I really don't think I have a right to post here. Because much of the hostility is caused by me. But I wasn't off on a good start on Spiderweb if you clearly remember. But when I started on Spiderweb Newbis where automatically intolerated. But from the way I see things that has changed.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
Oh, hey! Were you also BANNED for cussing peop--

Wait, that's right... You were. >_<

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by The Lord of Evil:

Sice I have created much of the Hostility on this board, I really don't think I have a right to post here. Because much of the hostility is caused by me.
Don't flatter yourself, JF. I don't think anyone really thought about you enough toward the end to let you create much hostility.

Then again, I wasn't around for it. I'm just going by my knowledge of all the other times you've been banned.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.