Troglodytes, the other dark meat

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Troglodytes, the other dark meat
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
They are short, ugly, and belligerent, but if E3 is any indication it seems that before the Empire eradicated them they had more of a culture than Sliths or Nephils have. Why do we hear nothing of these misunderstood people? Your comments on the troglodytes please.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
Jeff isn't as good at retcons as he thinks he is.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Why do we hear nothing of these misunderstood people? Your comments on the troglodytes please.
They aren't really people but oh well. Comments are that they are only good to be put in a cave and later killed by the random adventurer. But they do get to be quite advanced in Exile IV (Gallows).

Well, lets take a look at a trog:

IMAGE(http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/realitymaniac/trog.jpg)

Has a sword, and some armour. That's about all.

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
That isn't a troglodyte, unless there's something wrong with my eyes. :P

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #4
Troglodytes are pretty fair at saying, "Sock it to me," right? This may not be the most battle-worthy skill, but I maintain that it has merit, nevertheless.

Doug
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Well, where is there any room to really develop troglodyte culture? They appear halfway through Exile III and disappear soon after - not like the Nephilim and Slithzerikai, which are in contact with humans for much, much longer and appear in all three games.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #6
Well, there's the Khazi, the King, the troglo-gant rivalry... and the troglos are open to a little bit of negotiation, so they aren't just mindless brutes. I'm sure you could develope them further in a scenario.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #7
I agree with Mortrax. They could probably be developed in a scenario, but someone else will have to do it. I'm just to lazy :P

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Apprentice
Member # 3428
Profile Homepage #8
I might be wrong, but when i played through that part of A3 *and i mean all the way through it*, I got the idea that the Trogs weren't really nearly as advanced as they would like to have been... with all the talk about "waking up and just knowing how to do what they needed" and "the glowing ones told us of our great, lost civilization"; I though that the vahnatai simply too normal trogs, augumented them and lied to them so that they would raise hell on the surface world.

--------------------
HIHI!!!! *hugs indescriminantly* take that, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
It's very hard to create civilization where none existed before. The troglos have a very different society, but it's a large step above giants and goblins.

—Alorael, who doesn't see why the troglos couldn't become perfectly nice misshapen humanoids after they have negotiated a peace of sorts with Sharimik. They're not destroyed after E3/A3, just busy killing giants and being killed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

That isn't a troglodyte, unless there's something wrong with my eyes. :P
You're right. I thought it looked wierd. Here's another one:
IMAGE(http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v45/realitymaniac/trog2.jpg)

--------------------

-Reality Corp.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #11
Internal Server Error 500.
Double post. Sorry.

[ Friday, January 23, 2004 15:31: Message edited by: The Flying Jellybean ]

--------------------

-Reality Corp.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #12
My experience with troglodytes from E3 showed them as being at least as advanced as Sliths which are more advanced than Nephils. The Trogs are better organized than Sliths, having only one King to rule all of them. They have heroes they comemorate, they can talk as well as Nephils and Sliths, they have khazis, shamans, warriors, defenders, and protect their well built castle with magical barriers. Excluding the Vahnatai, the Trogs seem to me to be the most advanced of the humanoid races. Maybe when BoA comes out I will develop them more in a scenario.

Does anyone know the basic facts on the Trogs? Did the Empire totally eradicate them and then the Vahnatai brought them back? Or did the Empire only mostly destroy them, similar to the Nephils?

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #13
A race capable of producing the Khazis can't be all bad.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

Commander Nepald Londar was not going to allow these troglodytes to take control of the Empire, however. A tactical genius, he began a long series of staged battles that weakened the troglodytes' tenuous hold on the land. But they were not going to go down without a fight. They struck fast and hard and with magic, and Londar had no answer for the spells. But one night in 384 IE, Londar's men constructed catapults and readied for a complete assault against the Solaran mines. Crashing down came the barricades and defenses that the troglodytes had erected, and infantry secured the inner passageways of the mines. Sealing off the troglodytes from their original base of operations took away their reinforcements and supplies, and they fell quickly. Two years later, the soldiers bloody from their defense of the mines, burst through into troglodyte territory and razed several villages to the ground. With more troops pouring through every day, Londar oversaw the systematic hunting down and eradication of the last of Pralgrad's intelligent non-human species.
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana: Of the Eradication of Non-Humans in Pralgrad

Interpret that how you want, I'd say it means they didn't leave any alive. Those were only the ones on Pralgrad, but it hints at the Empire doing the same in Valorim before they settled there. ;)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
I don't think they'd be completely eradicated (besides those in A3)... I mean, it says they have powerful magic, and they seem quite strong.. I'm guessing that there would still be pockets of troglos, at least. I'd love to make a scenario about this, once BoA comes out, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who could do it better.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
The Exile games explicitly say that the Empire was quite thorough in its non-human policies. And the Troglos in Exile III are from before the Empire met them - they only really know of the giants and the Empire is an unknown entity. All of which points to the complete eradication of the troglos.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
The Empire didn't succeed with the nephilim, though, or the dragons, goblins, and gremlins. They accepted the giants and gazers into their own armies. Their policies aren't as complete as the games imply.

—Alorael, who agrees that a few pockets of troglodytes may have survived. Not the ones that appear in E3/A3, certainly, but there's plenty of room in Valorim, to say nothing of the other continents.
Apprentice
Member # 2773
Profile #18
Maybe some of them got shoved into avernum like the rest of the races.

Personally, I believe the sliths were far more advanced, having player through Avernum going donw into lost basskarwhatever shows you that the sliths you meet in avernum are actually the rejects from thier homeland just like the avernites are the rejects from the surface. The sliths having been created by the Vahnatai presumably still dwell in lower caves, though not having played Avernum 2 through I cannot say if you actually meet them there.

Perhaps someone in the know would like to inform us on this matter.

[ Thursday, January 29, 2004 13:13: Message edited by: Lamorak ]

--------------------
If we assume that at the start of the first game, Micah has been ruling for 20 odd years, and we take into account that he was atleast 30 by the time he took the throne. If we add a year for the events of the first game, then 5 years untill the second, a year for that game and the seven years untill the begginning of the third, then take a year to account for the last one...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
There's no clear link between the sliths to the vahnatai besides the very circumstancial evidence used to support the vahnatai creationist theory. None show up in the vahnatai lands, and although the vahnatai have heard of sliths (I recall this from somewhere), no living vahnatai has ever seen them.

—Alorael, who at least knows that's true of the clan met in E2/A2 and E3/A3. The other vahnatai clans may live closer to sliths.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
Only Nephilim (very few) and humans were thrown into Avernum.

--------------------
====
====
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #21
I only registered A1 yesterday, so I have not been to lost b. yet. It is possible the sliths are more advanced. I agree with Alorael that there are probably pockets of troglos hidden in the mountains.

--------------------

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
It is certainly possible that pockets of Troglodytes on Aizo may still exist, as the Sol purges were less extensive than the later ones of the Ironclads on Pralgrad.

--------------------
====
====
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Only Nephilim (very few) and humans were thrown into Avernum.
...And then some members of those two races mutated into, oh, I don't know, dragons? The giants aren't natives to Avernum, as far as I know, and neither were the goblins. I think it's possible, if not likely, that some troglos were thrown in.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #24
While we are on the subject of humanoid intelligence... Why are Ogre Mages so powerful. Ogres are pitifully weak, yet their mages cast level six spells and summon demons in the blink of an eye. That and their blue skin leads me to beleive that they are a strain of super-intelligent genetic deviants, who took to rulling ogres as a hobby.

--------------------
-WildKarrdeSmuggler

-----------------------------------
Visit the Smuggler's Alliance

Pages