Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Poll
Shock Trooper
Member # 2638
Profile #0
A comment in another recent topic got me to thinking about, and the question would be too limited by a regular poll. Who's your favortie NPC in the Avernum series, and why?
For me it's a close split, but I'd say Rentar-Ihrno edges out Erika. Yes, Rentar's supposed to be evil, but when you think about it, she's really no different than most leaders of a people. She took her revenge to extremes, but the theft of the crystal souls basically equates to if somone destroyed the Statue of Liberty. She's fairly well developed, too. There's my vote.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #1
No way...I'll never forgive her for killing Erika (AND Bon Ihrno! I liked him!). Especially since Erika is my favorite NPC is in the first place!

--------------------
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Take a chance at the Chance Forums!
Warrior
Member # 3252
Profile #2
Absolutely has to be Khoth. A giant fire breathing dragon, old as sin, with a passionate love for books and knowledge and magical skill coming out of his ears! What's not to love? ;)

--------------------
Learn About The Man Behind the Messiah.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #3
Well, there was this one dog in the city of Bolton...

I'm still thinking of one...

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #4
I vote for the Dryad who wants a perfect flower. She's beautiful, ruthless and magical. She'd turn me into a clown and send me off on treasure hunts to bring her expensive trinkets. It would be a life of pathetic devotion and endless quests, hoping for a fleeting kiss.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Warrior
Member # 1460
Profile #5
Maybe not my favourite, but i got a laugh out of that guy in new cortra who's going crazy over trying to figure out what the building in the northwest corner with no windows or doors is.

--------------------
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?!!
Apprentice
Member # 1910
Profile #6
I have to Say Erika And Bon Irono. I like Bon Irono because he was cool in averum 2 and h was cool in Averum 3 healways trys to help you :cool: . I like Erika because shes powerful and shes kindy of a romodle to my mage hehe and screw Rentar- Irono For killin her :mad: :mad: :mad:
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Probably, for me, the GIFTS's Chief's guard:

"I'll protect him until it's no longer convienent!"

or the Spider's historian.

In fact any of the cute ickle spideys!

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
My answer is also Rentar-Ihrno. She's one of the most developed characters who, in becoming a victim, became obsessed with revenge, and it became her undoing.

And I'm moving this to General.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #9
I think it's more the fact that she's crazy then anything, Drakey.

I think that the stealing of the crystal souls is a *tiny* bit more important then the destruction of an insignificant statue.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #10
It's not insignificant. If it is, then so is the Eiffel (sp) Tower, and Buckingham Palace, and the Taj Mahal.

It's a gift, that makes it worth something.

EDIT: Okay, I admit that I went a bit overboard with the Taj Mahal, but the argument stands.

[ Wednesday, January 07, 2004 04:37: Message edited by: Desert Plah ]

--------------------
I want my Desert Plah back, (Drakey, check your PM's.)

"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #11
I like all the NPCs who "follow" you thorugh the games. That includes (but is not limited to) Tor, his wife (can't remeber her name...but she was of the Hammer Clan), Nance and Elspeth, the guitar girl, Solberg and the other mages, Commander Johnson, Julio the mapmaker and many, many more. They make the Exile games more alive than most other fantasy worlds I've seen.

Still, I guess my favourites are Nance and Elspeth. They've just got that something.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #12
But the Crystal Souls were *actual* beings. I'd put more value over the life of one person then I would over the Statue of Liberty.

Those are all insignificant in the way that they are not going to change anything in the world of any importance. People might go and see them, but they're not going to place their lives around them, like the Vahnatai do around the Crystal Souls.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Warrior
Member # 3476
Profile #13
Agreed.

Anyway my favorite NPC is the Town Guard in the Generic Dungeon.

--------------------
The viewing of the signature has wasted 5 seconds of your life.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Rentar-Ihrno and Erika are both good. Then again, they and the dragons are the only NPC's with any real development.

—Alorael, who happens to like all the dragons for that reason. With the exception of Pyrog, they're all more than ego-tripping, fire-breathing, magic-using lizards.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Erika has a cool personality though. If you really think about it, she's at least as embittered as Rentar, because of that curse. You might sort of wonder what had happened had she chosen to unleash her vengeance on the Surface like Rentar, rather than on Hawthorne. Hell, they might have been working together to destroy the world (Erika and Rentar). Scary thought, that.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #16
probably motrax from E2. And the friendly statue who gives you the info.

[ Wednesday, January 07, 2004 13:57: Message edited by: One Big Manly Hunk of Slith ]

--------------------
"Wow, fish."
Hahahaha, I crack myself up.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #17
"Yeah! Pfaugh!" -Escovedo

That just seems to strike me as funny, despite how worthless the NPC is... He's one of my fav just because of that.

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #18
I tend to prefer my own party over anyone else. But I'd go with Erika, Motrax, and Grah-Hoth. Why the last? 'Cause he's a DEMON! :D :P

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

But the Crystal Souls were *actual* beings. I'd put more value over the life of one person then I would over the Statue of Liberty.

Those are all insignificant in the way that they are not going to change anything in the world of any importance. People might go and see them, but they're not going to place their lives around them, like the Vahnatai do around the Crystal Souls.

Ahhh...Hadn't thought of it like that. I agree.

--------------------
I want my Desert Plah back, (Drakey, check your PM's.)

"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 3452
Profile #20
:D my favorite is erika because in my head thats a cool name and shes got all that power and that black hair that red dress :D i want to know what will erika do with most of the people leaving for the surface after avernum 3. will she break the curse? what will she do? will she plague the surface? will she resurrect hawthorne just to kill him again? will some secret admirer stay with her? the world may never know :D oh and when did erika die :eek: when? i never saw that happen!!! what kind of sicko would kill off erika :mad:

[ Thursday, January 08, 2004 18:15: Message edited by: caovhc1 ]

--------------------
Look!!! I have a signature!!! Drakefyre is the coolest!!!
Posts: 75 | Registered: Wednesday, September 10 2003 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #21
Um, did you ever finish Exile 3/Avernum 3?

I would have to say my favorite is Erika, but I also like X.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Warrior
Member # 3452
Profile #22
:confused: i did finish avernum 3 but never got the thing that erika died :confused:

--------------------
Look!!! I have a signature!!! Drakefyre is the coolest!!!
Posts: 75 | Registered: Wednesday, September 10 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #23
My favorite Avernum NPC is surely the nephil robbery victim wandering around the Isle of Bigail in A3.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #24
Erika for me. Rentar is good, but she is on the last count just too simple - her motivations in the end boil down purely to vengeance, and she is a weaker character than Erika, relying on consul from her allied crystal souls. She has never experienced personal hardship, never had a real personal ambition, never had friends or colleagues, strong personal enemies. Erika had - her motivations are never deeply understood, and she has a sense of inner conflict, cloaked by the arrogant assurance from knowing that you are the best mage in Exile/Avernum, perhaps the best human mage. Erika was Exile/Avernum's fire. Rentar was just a good archmage.

Pages