Do you smoke?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you smoke?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #50
As far as the dangers of passive smoking go, non-smokers married to smokers have a life expectancy about 50 days shorter than non-smokers married to other non-smokers. Hardly an earth-shattering difference, but certainly a significant one.

Passive smoking is probably not a major concern for people who don't have much direct contact with smokers (although remember, all that smoke does build up in the atmosphere), but it's certainly a concern for people working in the hospitality industries, who are significantly more likely to develop chronic lung problems than the general population. (Some have successfully sued their employers for not warning them of the dangers of passive smoking, or for allowing smoking in non-smoking areas.) It's for this reason that I support a ban on smoking in restaurants, bars and other such enclosed spaces.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #51
Ok! Brace yaself, its ready;

Artist: Master chief
Song: Killing me Slowly With cigarettes

Strumming my pain with propaganda
Wasting my life with his adverts
Killing me slowly with cigarettes

I heard he smoked a good mark
I heard that he had style
And so I came to see him to breath inn for awhile
And there he was this old man, a stranger to my eyes

I felt all draped with waste-smoke
Destroyed by the crowd
I felt he found my mind and read all my pain out loud
I prayed that he would finish But he just kept right on

He talked as if he knew me
In all my dark despair
And then he looked right through me as if I wasn't there
And he just kept on talking
Talking like darkness himself

Killing me slowly with cigarette

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #52
We all need to be less concerned with death. When it is your time to go, it will be your time to go. There's no getting around it. So worrying about it won't achieve anything. A giant rock could kill us or a bus could kill you tomorrow. No one knows what the future is like. So stop cowaring like you're gonna be around forever if it weren't for the smoke.

[ Friday, December 05, 2003 15:00: Message edited by: Hinosu ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
"Your time to go"? What a load of crypto-mystical fatalist claptrap.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #54
Nothing is severe enough when it comes to tobacco, Thuryl.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #55
If that sucks so bad, jag, come up with something better. We're gonna die someday. There's no way to avoid it. You may think you can, but you don't know when or how you're gonna die, so you can't. "Eat right. Be fit. Die anyway"

[ Friday, December 05, 2003 15:20: Message edited by: Hinosu ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #56
With all that said and done, I have no doubt that you'd still object rather strongly if I poisoned your food. Why should I be silent when others poison my air?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #57
I could care less if you poisoned my food. I suck down worse poisons than you would find just on my day to day life. Besides. Cig smoke's a weak poison. Nothin too dangerous til you get a lot of it often.
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Hinosu
Cig smoke's a weak poison
Thats what you think. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Do you smoke3_files/rolleyes.gif)

**goes off to research on the effects of smoking to support his argument**

[ Friday, December 05, 2003 16:47: Message edited by: Reality Corp. ]

--------------------
73|-| 1|\|\/1|\|<1|3|_3 |30063y|\/|4|\|

AHEM: Chance Forums!

-Reality Corp.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #59
It was God's way of punishing the Virginian settlers, and it went out of hand. Nicotine is the most deadly poison known to man.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #60
Alec. Enough already. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Do you smoke3_files/rolleyes.gif)

Hinosu, you really don't mind if I poison your food?

OK, sure, you're going to die anyway... but as Gandalf said, "You cannot choose how much time you are given; you have only to choose what to do with the time given to you." (Well, ok, I'm sure Tolkien didn't write that, but it's close enough, dammit.) Just because you're going to die anyway doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything with your life, and if you're doing something with your life, you generally want it to last longer...

Also, about calming or enjoyment or whatever, there are far better ways to calm down and enjoy life. Far healthier ways, too.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #61
I wish I could smoke a pipe instead. Makes you look more intellectual. But where can you find a pipe and pipe tobacco in central Pennsylvania? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Do you smoke3_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by M6mmi:

or The Devil will take your soul and molest it!
This is called trying too hard.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #63
Nicotine is an extremely deadly poison, but in cigarettes it's actually the tar that kills you.
If you were to extract the nicotine from 50 cigarettes and inject it then you would die, if you were to smoke 50 cigarettes then you'd cough a bit.
Smoking is down to the individual to decide anyway, so can all the rest of you get off our backs because I'm not stopping because you tell me to.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #64
MSW: Smoking doesn't make you look intellectual.

Ruthie: Even if you don't mind killing yourself, the point is that you shouldn't kill others at the same time. Smoking is pollution, and we all know about second-hand smoke. I shouldn't have to come home from the bowling alley and wash my clothes over and over to get the smell out, not to mention coughing for the next few days from the smoke. Well, I don't have to now, actually, because of the NY State smoking laws, but still. Not everyone's fortunate enough to have these laws.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #65
The reason you think that smoking a pipe does not make you look distinguished or intellectual is because I doubt that you have seen very many people who have actually smoked one. Seeing one does tend to change a person’s view on the matter. If you go and watch any old movie where they smoke pipes, the person smoking one tends to look rich, distinguished, and very intellectual. Cigarettes are a different matter completely. There are very few people, mainly actors and actresses, who can smoke a cigarette and still look distinguished and intellectual.

Unfortunately, most of them are dead now, as most of them were classic actors and actresses. Among the best being, Bette Davis, Basil Rathbone, Peter Lorre, Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorehead, and many more.

But, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I still say pipes make a person look more distinguished and intellectual than a cigarette.

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #66
Yeah, maybe in the movies. You learn that, in the movies, there's an entire subtext to carrying one, which includes camera angles and special training and so on, which can imply a lot about a character.

Even though smoking a pipe can look very intellectual in the movies, in reality, it's -extremely- hard to cultivate an intellectual look while actively sucking on something.

And yes, I was being sardonic earlier on.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #67
Why do I bother to argue? I enjoy smoking and that is all that's to it to me. Despite the health risks, there is one thing about cigarettes that I find appealing. The fact that you can meet a stranger somewhere that smokes and actually find a common link with that person. They are addicted to cigarettes too and makes for a good conversation piece.

One other thing. This seem weird to many other people here who say that they hate being in a smoke-filled environment, but I would have to say that I rather like being in a cigarette smoke-filled environment. I don't live in one though as my mother makes me smoke outside, but I don't mind that. My best memories of my Aunt Edith are of being in her cigarette smoke-filled house and breathing in the air. She had three cats at the time and since has given up smoking, but I loved the smell of her house. It was unique and I never liked anyone else's house more.

Even my gay cousin Terry and his mate smoke in their house and I love the unique atmosphere. Cigarette smoke usually does not bother me. I feel relaxed in the environment and always have, even when I was little. Though I have to say that I didn't like my grandfather's brand, which I might add, I tried and didn't like. His is the exception. I thought it positively stank and I hated being around him when he was smoking, not to mention I would never try that brand again.

For those here that do smoke, what brands have you tried and which did you like and dislike. Mine are...

Winstons - Did not like much (non-menthol)
Monarchs - One of my favorites
Newports - One of my favorites
Salems - Okay. A little strong and slightly unpleasant scent
Jacks - Did not like much (non-menthol)
Misty's - Did not like. They stink terribly.
Pall Mall's - Grandfather's brand. Tastes good. Stinks badly.
Camel Turkish Blend - Did not like much (non-menthol)
USA Golds - Decent. I liked them.
Cimarron - Excellent. But very full of tar.

That's all I can recall at the moment.

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #68
Meh. Despite what seemed to be fanaticism earlier in this topic (never listen to alec or ablis), I really don't object strenuously to people smoking, I don't particularly mind the smell of tobacco, and don't really get bent out of shape about it. I think that 'privacy of your own home/private establishment' restrictions ought to be in force, but that's basically because I don't think people who are as... unique... as Bates and company ought to be forced to exposed to something they loathe so horribly against their will.

Then again, I'm in favor of marijuana, crack, and opium in the privacy of your own home/private establishment, so take that as you will.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #69
Seriously! STOP THE BATES STUFF AND I WILL STOP "SPAMMING"!!!!!

Anyway, i agree with Sir Dave, the smoke affect people in different ways than health too, and makes you look ugly. I have heard of people who actually got their clothes destroyed by cig smoke, they just couldn't get the smell out, the very strong smell.
And people pay their ass of just to get "One more puff", i cant even imagine how many people that have got their lives destroyed by lung cancer and paying more than they can afford.
And the cynical tobacco industry puts lots of dangerous stuff in the cigs to make you more addicted! They make lots of money on the poor souls, and then they research to make the cigs "better", they do not care a crack about YOUR health!
I really hope that more people will see the "light" (Not the cig glow).

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #70
We cannot and will not stop, Bates. If it makes you feel any better, you brought ALL of this upon yourself. Under no circumstances will we be held accountable for your transgressions on this board, so you have a grand total of three options available to you.

1. Stop spamming, accept your nickname (which is hardly bad), and at least make some effort to become useful and productive around here.

2. Keep on doing what you're doing, and eventually get canned or banned.

3. Leave.

[ Sunday, December 07, 2003 02:32: Message edited by: Stughalf ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #71
Smoking...

GUN!!!

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #72
I said "Use my whole name, or part of my name".

AND BATES IS NOT A PART OF MY NAME GODFRICKINDAMMIT!!! AND ITS THE NAME OF A SWEDISH COMPANY!!! AND I DON'T LIKE IT!!! AND I SERIOUSLY WISHED THAT ONE OF THE MODS WOULD SUPORT ME ON THIS!!! AND I DON'T GIVE A CRACK IF I AM SPAMMING!!! AND YOU ARE OFENDING ME, ERGOS ITS AGAINST THE COC!!! BEEEEEEAAAAT IT!!!

[ Sunday, December 07, 2003 02:42: Message edited by: Master Chief ]

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #73
"Master" is, and "Bates" is part of "Master Bates". It all falls in.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #74
Tut, tut. It appears that you have chosen Option 2.

AND THUS YOU SHALL FALL PREY TO FERRETS

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky

Pages