Will there be an Avernum Online?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Will there be an Avernum Online?
Apprentice
Member # 3750
Profile #0
I have to know. What are the chances of an avernum game going online that would be too kool if there was 1, well give me ur opinions on the idea!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Apart from being able to see the obvious flaws in such a thing, it also will not be happening. Sorry.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #2
not again this kind of topic!
there wont be any Avernum Online just becose Jeff doesnt have resources to make one!

[ Wednesday, December 03, 2003 04:18: Message edited by: Wizard ]

--------------------
I am the one and only Wizard!
WIZ GAMEZ The place to get the most recent gaming news! And now it has new layout!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #3
ADDITION TO THE FAQ - ADDITION TO THE FAQ

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #4
ATTACK FERRETS WILL CHEW AND DEVOUR THE NEXT SAGOT WHO ASKS THIS QUESTION

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #5
You are unfair. How can we suppose newbies know these things? I think we should just answer topics like this and then forget them. And of course, be polite.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #6
You're right, of course. But I have to have my fun. Hopefully most people will realize that I'm just joking around with ALL CAPS and not actually flaming them.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #7
Hey, the scariest part is that they actually don't! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Will there be an Avernum Online1_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #8
Actually, as TM says, it's fairly obvious that it wouldn't be a feasible project for all the reasons that are almost always dragged out at this point and doubtless more. People who post topics like this are thus guilty of speaking before thinking, if they think at all.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Next time this topic comes up, I'm tempted to say "You buy Jeff a bigger server and pay for the extra bandwidth and then maybe he'll consider it."
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #10
...Then go ahead.

I think the FAQ suggestion if a good idea. There should be a Spiderweb-related FAQ section.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #11
Server aside, Avernum online would probably suck. Geneforge online might be a good idea. But a fully turnbased RPG just won't work cause ppl would get impatient and pissed off easily. Plus the profanity rate of the people on it would triple after the 1rst week. Flaming would be endless and some people would start clans and gang up on other members(especially newbs). Then everyone and their dog will be using hacks to get ahead of others. It'd pretty much turn into chaotic hell of Diablo.
Master Jeweller
Member # 409
Profile Homepage #12
I think next time anybody asks this question we should egg them on a bit
and tell about the deal Jeff recently closed with Electronic Arts regarding
the sequel to Ultima Online.
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Will there be an Avernum Online1_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heilighthum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder, was die Mode streng getheilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder, wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pieter Simoons aka Radiant

Official Crystal Shard and SubTerra webpage
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Ironweed:

You are unfair. How can we suppose newbies know these things? I think we should just answer topics like this and then forget them. And of course, be polite.
Uh...there is also a "search" button somewhere near the "new topic" button. They could look there first, and then come back if there is no related topic. But of course in this case, there are quite a few...

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #14
But to save time, think first. Is it something that someone other than you would think of asking? And if so, is it really important enough to search? And if no topics are found should I start one about it?

Then say 'screw it' to all of that and start topic to ask an obviously stupid question. It's always worked for me.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #15
Would that be one of the reasons that you got canned?

*Looks away, pretending he didn't say anything*

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #16
actually, I got canned cause I was acting like an idiot 1 day. that was like a few months ago. I think it's past due for it to be ended, but that would require to admin to show up every now and then and a request, and a small bribe. None of which are gonna happen.
Apprentice
Member # 3750
Profile #17
i dont mean get the avernum series and slap an online sticker on it! i mean defferent game engine but same stuff like the maps and crap i mean sorta like runescape if u eva play it and obviously not turn based and this was my 1st post and i didnt know sum1 already asked this so get off my case! and jeff could do a subscription thing so u pay a bit each month think about that! now we have that cleared up also try not 2 post unless u r trying 2 set me straight or give ur opinion on the subject instead of complaining because i didnt know it was already asked
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
It was answered in the second post - Jeff doesn't have the resources, time, or manpower for something like this.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #19
I dont mean to be mister i-know-everything-and-i-am-bossing-everyone (Im not annyway), but please, say "you, are, to" and not "U, R, 2".
It gets much more enjoyable to read annyway.

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #20
I think Avernum Online would be possible if you adopted a client-to-client approach rather than one central server that spidweb run.

--------------------
The Automated Ad-Free Horizontal-Scrollbar-Proof Blades of Avernum Script Archive
Creature Scripts | Terrain Scripts | Cool Stuff | Dialogue Scripts
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Master Chief:

I dont mean to be mister i-know-everything-and-i-am-bossing-everyone (Im not annyway), but please, say "you, are, to" and not "U, R, 2".
It gets much more enjoyable to read annyway.

SO DOES USING ALL CAPS WAA WAA

And yup, to what UA said.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #22
TGM, no hidden meanings please, we are finished with that, and all caps is a symbol for anger.

Annyway, I think a Geneforge online would work better because of the enige, but it would maybe have been best if it was in realtime...

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Bates:

TGM, no hidden meanings please, we are finished with that, and all caps is a symbol for anger.
No it isn't. It has many meanings.

Annyway, I think a Geneforge online would work better because of the enige, but it would maybe have been best if it was in realtime...

Jeff won't do either, and Geneforge is a losing game. If I really wanted to play Fallout with Pokémon, I'd get out a CD and a GBC.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #24
Hah hah funny funny.

And if Avernum Online was ever going to happen, I know a good catch-phrase type thingy or whatever:

Avernum Online: Sounds like America Online, but it's 211,349,321.343 times better!

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.

Pages