Scholastic Interests

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Scholastic Interests
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #0
It seems that, with all the recent distractions and complaint threads, what this forum truly needs is an entirely new topic. So, I will introduce one.

I'm interested in hearing about the academic preferences of those of us forumers who are of schoolgoing age. Those of you who are in college ( IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Scholastic Interests1_files/biggrin.gif) ) can talk about your major(s) and any minors, and also about general academic interests. Those of your are in high school, middle school or grade school can just describe your general preferences in academic subjects. All of you can also describe any career ambitions or plans for future study you may have.

I'll start out with myself. I'm a sophomore in college now, and majoring in Integrative Biology. I don't have any other majors or any minors (laggard that I am), but I do have numerous other academic interests. History and English interest me, as do a few other things. I am naturally a jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none academically, and though this quality is helpful in high school, it unfortunately seems to be a liability in college. I plan to enter veterinary school after I graduate (provided I can get my GPA up IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Scholastic Interests1_files/wink.gif) ), and with a whole lot of luck eventually become an exotic animal veterinarian, so I can take great care of Jeff's spider, and keep him happy and making great games.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
I'm doing maths at university. No other subject.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #2
I'm a Junior in High school at the moment, and I'm having a crapload of trouble with trig. I do want to become a computer scientist or game maker, since that's just what's interested me all this time. =)

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I'm approaching the end of my first year at university (I'm in Australia, where our academic year actually coincides with the calendar year.) I'm in a Biomedical Science course, which is essentially a science course that pretends it's a medicine course (the course structure is more rigid than science, but the actual material taught is more like life sciences than medicine). As such, the course is a haven for failed medical students with alarming self-esteem issues. (I am not one of the aforementioned, having never intended to study medicine in the first place.)

Right now I'm looking at majoring in therapeutic pharmacology, but the subjects I've chosen for second year keep my options somewhat open. (University courses over here tend to run to three years, not counting honours year (which, these days, everyone who can do tends to do).)

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #4
I'm coming to the end of my fourth year at university, studying Biomedical Engineering. Basically it's just a Science/Engineering double degree with a major in electrical/electronic engineering and your choice of a Biomedical Science. In my case, it's pharmacology.

Funnily enough, we're a med-school dropout degree too (Or at least a 'decided not to do medicine in the last minute' degree). I'm also the only one in my course (all seven of us. Whoo!) who wasn't the dux of our respective highschools. Next year I'll officially complete my degree, plus the Engineering Honours. I want to do Science Honours the year after that.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a sophomore?

--------------------
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant fins the slumbering green.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Someone in the second year of high school or college.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #6
I'm in my second year of Grad school in Planetary science. I'll be taking my qualifying exams in a year, after which I'll get a pay raise (woo hoo) and will no longer have to take classes (which is stunning to think about- I've been taking classes for over 18 years...). After that, two to three more years to the Ph. D.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ and Geneforge 2 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #7
last year of high school and i'm not doing well enough to get into U of T as of now... *sigh*

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #8
First year of high school, and going downhill. Fast. With no brakes.

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Warrior
Member # 1351
Profile #9
Currently doing A2's in a sixth form college in England. Which probably doent make much sense to anyone other than the English. Subject: Law, History and English Literature. Hoping to go to uni next year.

--------------------
Spend your lazy, endless crazy days inside my head.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #10
Left uni with social science-based Masters nearly two decades ago. Currently writing something on the social history of comparative anatomy. Dull, huh?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #11
I'm majoring in Mathematics on my freshman year in college.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #12
I'm a junior in high school, and hope to focus on science and/or math in college. My favorite (and best) classes this year are AP Chemistry and BC Calculus.

--------------------
who?
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #13
This year, I'm taking advanced placement chemistry & biology in addition to ecology, U.S. government, and newspaper staff.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
German III, (Free Period), Bio 2/Chem 2 (which is proving to be scant more than a ~40 minute lullaby), Precalc/Trig (the "accelerated" track), Lunch (lick lick lick), American Lit/Banned Books (the former is mandatory), World Wars/Sociology, Church History/Christian Discipleship (both are mandatory).

The ones on the right-hand side of the slash are for next semester, so I haven't started them yet. I'm taking easier courses to compensate for my horrid study habits in order to pad my GPA, what with 11th grade being so critical into college entrance.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I'm a senior in high school, and I'm working for an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, because I'm going to an international school. I've got six subjects, three of them 'higher level', probably comparable to majors in college. Physics, Maths, German, English, Chemistry and Economics. I'll probably study something to do with either language or physics, since those are the two things that interest me.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
Say Aran-san, you're German, correct? Are German classes comparable to their English counterparts in Anglophone nations? In other words, do your classes stress interpretations of literary works more than grammar? Needless to say, the level of experience most high school students would have with German over here is minimal, *requiring* that grammar and vocabulary be the focus of the class, whereas English classes due to the fluency of its students are focussed on interpretation of literary works.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 1695
Profile #17
Hopefully in my last years of studying. I am a student at U of Ottawa, baccalaureate in "Economics-Politics" and "Criminology with credits in, Sociology and Psychology."
After Major is over with will seek employment within the RCMP...
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #18
IMO English classes over here are focussed too much on literature and too little on grammar. The basic assumption is made that grammar does not need to be taught at all, which is slightly illogical, after all...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
TM, actually I'm in an international school, which — while not completely following the American system &mdash certainly has English courses comparable to those in English-speaking countries. But we have German classes of about the same level. Earlier on (8th grade), even the Native German classes were laughable, we were being tested on spelling, grammar and generally stuff they teach in 5th and 6th grade in a native school.

But the classes have got more demanding, and at the moment both (English and German) focus totally on literature. Of course, correct grammar and spelling is still required, but they just assume we've grasped it by now. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Scholastic Interests1_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #20
I'm in my second-to-last year of high school, S5. I use a Scottish system which almost none of you are likely to understand, but anyway... I'm doing five Highers this year: English, Maths, Fizzix, Latin and Chemistry, which I hate the most cos my teacher is soo boooring, I hate him, he probably hates me, and he was the one teacher I did not want to get again this year!!

Where is your international school, Aran-san? America?

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Singing a little song... doo ba doo:

Chemistry, which I hate the most cos my teacher is soo boooring, I hate him, he probably hates me, and he was the one teacher I did not want to get again this year!!
The one with the bad jokes, his co-author, the other one or a new one?

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #22
I have all AP and honors classes. Statistics AP, physics I H, inter orch, Language/comp AP, French III H, and World History AP.
I'm also taking a seventh, out-of-schedule class, Geopolitical Economics AP. Basically, you spend a fifth of the classtime going over five times the material, which will be on four times the number of tests.

Cheers all around.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Omlette:

IMO English classes over here are focussed too much on literature and too little on grammar. The basic assumption is made that grammar does not need to be taught at all, which is slightly illogical, after all...

-E-

That would explain why you sometimes run into these guys who can easily quote E.A.Poe but cannot spell such difficult words as "cat" or "sun".
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #24
I thought most of Poe's rhyme schemes were based on words like "cat" and "sun". "Jingles", Tennyson called 'em.

Pages