Evil Companies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Evil Companies
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #25
I don´t get it. Why should any of these companies be "evil"? Do they torture animals? Do they steal candy from babies? What do you even mean by evil? After all, if it weren´t for Microsoft and IBM, none of us would probably be having this conversation right now. Can somebody explain? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/confused.gif)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
Microsoft: Just recently, another security hole was discovered in IE and Windows which makes it very easy for hackers to break into computers, and program individual PCs all over the internet, to - for example - all simultaneously starting a denial of service attack without their users' knowledge. At the moment they're even worrying that Alquaeda (sorry, can't spell it IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/tongue.gif) ) might try to crash the internet.

Also, did you know that IE sends the URL of every page you visit to a server at M$ HQ? Many URLs at LogIn pages contain the username and password string, so if someone hacks into the server storing those URLs they can access - for example - mail accounts.

This makes IE spyware, programmed to send this information by MS in order to find out about customer habits without informing the users about it.

About Wal-Mart:

Looking for articles on Google, I found, among others, this - can't be bothered to list more, look for 'em yourself:

http://www.freep.com/money/business/labor9_20021009.htm

[ Wednesday, August 06, 2003 01:50: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Seaweed:

After all, if it weren´t for Microsoft and IBM, none of us would probably be having this conversation right now.
Well, all the Mac users would (and there's an abnormally high concentration of them on the Spiderweb boards), and the rest of us would probably be here, just using something else (such as a Mac). Oh, and we'd get to play Blades of Avernum first instead of sitting through the wait. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/tongue.gif)

Oh, and as for why the companies are evil...well, Walmart and Microsoft have already been done in detail here and in a gazillion other places on the Internet. I don't actually think IBM's evil, which might explain why I didn't vote for them, but...

[ Wednesday, August 06, 2003 06:36: Message edited by: Lord Bob ]
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #28
FYI, IBM supplied computer punchcards that made Nazi administration of the Holocaust possible.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I was actually talking about MS-DOS in my post, not Windows.
Many M$ products are not really M$-developed.

MS-DOS = CP/M
The NT/W2k/WinXP kernel is based on DEC's VMS.
IE was originally a Mosaic clone.
The Windows GUI is...well, not very innovative. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/tongue.gif)
Complete the list yourself...
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by X:

FYI, IBM supplied computer punchcards that made Nazi administration of the Holocaust possible.
This is a little unfair. They sold the Nazis those punchcards, as opposed to the various companies still around today in one way or another that took advantage of slave labor or directly helped the Holocaust along pro bono publica. Those are household names today -- Bayer, Volkswagen, and so on.

And IBM and Microsoft are on this poll only because the person who started it was some kind of fanatic Mac user. I personally object less to letting security holes slip than going overseas to work people with no legal protection from that sort of thing like slaves for cents an hour -- Nike -- or testing products on animals in cruel, unnecessary, and unethical ways -- most cosmetics companies, until very recently -- or abusing influence on major government figures to precipitate wars which cause thousands upon thousands of unnecessary deaths -- let's just say Halliburton to start.

Of course, if you are a fanatic Mac user, you appparently believe Microsoft has done something more evil than that by existing, and will not allow anyone to disabuse you of that notion. Go you.

[ Wednesday, August 06, 2003 09:59: Message edited by: **** General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
Custer, you left out Wal-Mart, which does the first of the things you named (buying products manufactured in third world countries at bad labor conditions), treats its employees just as badly as these laborers (firing workers with health problems and providing poor worker insurance), and which basically has an almost destructive expansion policy, moving into an area, undercutting the prices to ruin the local economy and then selling at ridiculous prices when the competition is destroyed.

And I wouldn't trust M$ with anything more than my text documents, if I had the choice (I'm currently using an old PC with NT, which is more trustworthy than XP at the expense of total incompatibility with most games... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/rolleyes.gif) )

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #32
An immortal quote that applies well to M$ comes to mind:

"Your work is both good and original. However, the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good."IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/biggrin.gif)
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #33
Apple users shouldn't hate either IBM or Microsoft. After all, IBM is integral in the development of the PowerPC architecture, and Microsoft developed Office for the Macintosh originally. What's more, MS bailed Apple out of one of their many crises (spurred on by the fact that Apple is run by idiots).

If it wasn't for both of those companies, Apple would very likely not exist today.

Wal-Mart is a creeping rot in rural America. AOL/TW is more problematic; on one hand, they're a huge media conglomerate; on the other hand, they're supporting the Mozilla project and Nullsoft; on the other hand (I feel like I'm considering a marriage proposal), they ran off Justin Frankel for WASTE and fired Netscape.

The true evil, Monsanto, ADM, and their ilk, are absent in this poll. So I must abstain.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #34
I vote for Dupont, ADM, Exxon-Mobile, and BP.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #35
I voted AOL, why pay extra for a crippeled internet browser?

--------------------
"What is the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" - Bridgekeeper, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

JOIN IN THE SHOUT AND SHOW YOUR ALIGNMENT BY ADDING THIS TO YOUR SIG. WE WANT MISC! WE WANT MISC-- Realises the dream will never be...
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #36
Evil is starving people, overthrowing democratic governments, causing deaths for profit, exploiting children, running the entire world economy on the basis of keeping third world pay at less than $4 a day and things of that ilk.

Offering an alternative system to the one you worship for unclear reasons or having an irritating internet browser is not evil.

Get a sense of perspective.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
I know the point has already been beaten into the ground, but I'd like to reiterate the fact that the starter of this topic is a fanatic and a moron. Of course, I'd also like to add that I haven't used an MS Office application on this machine for the longest time now.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #38
Evil companies: Any that routinely feed antibiotics to farm animals to make them grow more.

I can't think of any other activity that will cause more long-term damage.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Evil companies: Any that routinely feed antibiotics to farm animals to make them grow more.

I can't think of any other activity that will cause more long-term damage.

Try people who misuse antibiotics, creating bacteria resistant to all known drugs that breed in hospitals. Or, the farming industry. "Round-up ready" seed makes them think it's okay to dump massive amounts of chemicals on their crops. Hmm, that won't get into the water table. Worse yet, I consistantly see farmers spraying fields with herbicide WHEN THERE'S NOTHING PLANTED THERE!!! (it's to kill weeds that sprout up between plantings) We're going to eventually sterilize all of the soil so badly that only plants genetically altered to be "round-up ready" will be able to survive. Talk about long-term damage! I know these things are kind of diffucult to pin on one company, but they're far worse than feeding antibiotics to farm animals. I don't know of any conclusive evidence saying that's as harmful as people think. Other people have already covered the other big evils, but I thought these needed mentioned.

EDIT: Go up a little ways and read Bob M2k's post. Focus especially on the last line.

[ Friday, August 15, 2003 14:19: Message edited by: Aarrow Swift ]

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #40
Yes, we are taking about Monsanto again here. Berfore they made it illegal to label distinguishing between GM and non-GM products, they made it illegal to distinguish between BGT-poisoned milk and other milk. Meat too, I guess.

[ Friday, August 15, 2003 18:12: Message edited by: X ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #41
I find the big panic about not distinguishing between GM and non-GM plants worrisome, really. It stems from a basic fear of something people are worryingly ignorant about. Basically, there are a couple of words and phrases with irrevocably negative connotations in the public eye. When they see these phrases, they basically shut off and start spouting garbage against whoever's using them. "Genetically modified" will put most people into conniptions, and they'll become mortally afraid of using or eating anything which it's applied to. If they were genuinely concerned about 'unnatural' things happening to their food, what about the irradiation which makes food poisoning a negligible problem in places that can afford it? What about pesticides, which have really done a lot more harm than good for humanity?

Labelling between GM and non-GM food is panic-mongering. The next organism I hear about which digests DNA for nutrition will be the first.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #42
Has anyone ever made a comparison test between, say, tomatoes from the supermarket compared to tomatoes grown in your back yard/porch/window sill (assuming you're not using salmon/tomato hybrid plants)?
The worst part about this whole GM thing is the total lack of flavor that comes with it. You get huge fruits/veggies/berries/whatever, but they all tast like crunchy waterlogged cardboard.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #43
I am all in favour of genetically modifying foods. I think that it'll help humanity out in the long run, and in a few years it'll be just like getting immunizations. Most people will see that it's a good idea and just get it done. A few people will claim that immunizations are the devil, but the polio will get them all soon enough.

And I also won't deny that some GM foods taste like sawdust. Then again, a whole hell of a lot of natural foods taste like sawdust too. A lot of it has to do with how they're grown. When companies start growing genetically modified tomatos and such while caring more about individual quality than yield (basically, doing what all those organic growers claim to do without having to worry about spreading animal dung on your food and heroically preventing bugs from getting a foothold), we'll notice a lot less of the paper-mill taste. We'll also have to pay more for tohse plants, but it won't be near as much as the organic growers are gouging us for.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #44
I'm fine with GM foods for now, but I have a problem with the false sense of security it gives the farming industry. When we genetically modify a plant to withstand roundup, that's cool. When farmers start dumping hundreds of millions of gallons of herbicides on these fields because it won't hurt that crop, we have a problem. Plus, plants have an odd tendency to spread traits to certain weeds. What if bindweed becomes round-up ready? That could cause some major problems.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by **** General Custer:

"Genetically modified" will put most people into conniptions, and they'll become mortally afraid of using or eating anything which it's applied to.
Even genetically altered cabbages...? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (2)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #46
Genetically modified crops may or may not be a danger. It's still unclear. But I'm against them on principle, because the companies that copyright the various strains effectively control any farmer who grows those crops and have even sued farmers who got GM crops accidentally through cross-pollination.

AS, putting antibiotics in animal food is likely to lead to antibiotic resistant superbugs. Antibiotics are less than a century old, but already it's getting harder and harder to find antibiotics which are still effective.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by **** General Custer:

If they were genuinely concerned about 'unnatural' things happening to their food, what about the irradiation which makes food poisoning a negligible problem in places that can afford it? What about pesticides, which have really done a lot more harm than good for humanity?
Most of the anti-GM activists I've seen tend to go on about irradiation and pesticides as well.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #48
To be fair, I screwed up with the pesticides bit.
But irradiation? I haven't heard anyone ***** about irradiation to date.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by Bob Mk2:

AS, putting antibiotics in animal food is likely to lead to antibiotic resistant superbugs. Antibiotics are less than a century old, but already it's getting harder and harder to find antibiotics which are still effective.

True, but there are other things that cause more long term damage. Of all the things that companies do, feeding cattle antibiotics ranks about 70th on my evils list.

--------------------

Pages