Evil Companies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Evil Companies
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Barrel General Custer:

To be fair, I screwed up with the pesticides bit.
But irradiation? I haven't heard anyone ***** about irradiation to date.

Three anti-food-irradiation links found in a few minutes of searching on Google:

http://www.pure-food.com/food.htm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/irradlink.html

http://www.practicalhippie.com/irradiation.htm

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #51
Really? So next time one of the periodic bacterial epidemics come and we can't do anything about it, meaning you have a death toll potentially in the tens of thousands, it's not that big a worry?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #52
For anyone who was wondering, BtI's previous post was in response to Aarrow Swift's last post.

It confused me for a while. :/

[ Sunday, August 17, 2003 04:43: Message edited by: Imban ]
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #53
A couple of points:

1) Round-Up is a Monsanto product, so Round-Up Ready GM crops suit them and no-one else

and

2) Food irradiation only kills bacteria rather than removing toxins typically released on their demise, like botulism. So it's hardly a guarantee of food safety.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #54
Just to clear up my opinion: I'm in favour of genetic modification in general, and most specific cases, except for herbicide resistance.

Making GM plants infertile I'm kind of mixed about, since it makes it harder to spread accidentally, but gives more power to the companies doing it. On balance, I'm against it, since we've been genetically modifying things for thousands of years without many horrible effects, it's just that now we can do it more efficiently.

I think a lot of the problem comes from patent law that puts the whole thing in the hands of a few huge companies, instead of hundreds of smaller ones.

Incidentally, I have no problem with eating GM, non-organic irradiated food that's been processed with added chemicals. I do it all the time, and never buy organic.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Bob Mk2:

Really? So next time one of the periodic bacterial epidemics come and we can't do anything about it, meaning you have a death toll potentially in the tens of thousands, it's not that big a worry?
Exactly. There are other things we do that create more antibiotic resistant bacteria than feeding antibiotics to animals, and there are other things that are more serious threats. i.e death tolls in tens of millions. Remember, 100 years ago, we didn't have antibiotics. So, if in 50 they've all stopped being effective, we're really just back where we started. Remember, the plague didn't end the world.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #56
Not that anyone cares, but in my opinion Walmart is the most evil company. Yes, they do treat thier employies like $#*t but the also wanted to put a supercenter acrost from my house. This would have been 1/4 of a mile away from the biggest high school in Arizona. I'll type more later.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Delierious?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #57
Are you illiterate or just stupid?

[ Sunday, August 17, 2003 14:02: Message edited by: Barrel General Custer ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Aarrow Swift:

quote:
Originally written by Bob Mk2:

Exactly. There are other things we do that create more antibiotic resistant bacteria than feeding antibiotics to animals, and there are other things that are more serious threats. i.e death tolls in tens of millions. Remember, 100 years ago, we didn't have antibiotics. So, if in 50 they've all stopped being effective, we're really just back where we started. Remember, the plague didn't end the world.

100 years ago, 50% of children died of infectious disease before the age of 5.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #59
Whoa. I didn't know that about IE until now. *changes to Netscape, even though it's slower*
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
Use Mozilla ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ). It may or may not run faster, but it's generally better than Netscape. It blocks popups, too.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #61
I must say, I'm not keen on surgery without effective antisepsis / antibiotic back-up. Interestingly, the Soviets had a thing for phage anti-bacterial treatments, whereby an infection's natural microbial predator was used to counter infectiopns. This evolved with the infection so it couldn't be superceded by natural selection, as antibiotics have largely been now. This is no perfect solution either--the phage might evolve into somethingh nastier than the cure, as with macro bio-pest control--but it's certainly another proven approach.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #62
I don't have a problem with antibiotics when used sensibly. After all, if we never used them, it wouldn't matter if they worked or not IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (3)_files/tongue.gif) It's just wasting them that gets me.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #63
Aye, I believe that the use of antibiotics must be heavily regulated to insure effectiveness.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #64
The real issue is that under US law and I believe WIPO regulations, genetic modifications can be patented. This is extremely troubling, because it leads to two evils: either the crop is sterile automatically and farmers (often impoverished, think Africa here) have to buy seed for every planting season, or the crop isn't sterile and the farmers have to religiously avoid crossbreeding between the local variant and the GM variant. Why? Because if the right genes end up in the local stock, Monsanto may legally own all of the corn or wheat or whatever in an entire area. It'd be ruinous.

I'm not concerned about GMO for health reasons at all. I'm concerned about it for economic reasons. Genetically modified crops have a great potential to be a yoke.

Irradiation, similarly, is not troublesome because of some potential danger, but because it's not really all that effective. (Irradiated meat also sometimes tastes a bit off. Consumers Union did a blind taste test.)
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #65
Alchohol-based hand washes kill 99.9 percent of germs.

I am the other .1 percent, hear me gurgle!

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Justin Og:

Alchohol-based hand washes kill 99.9 percent of germs.

I am the other .1 percent, hear me gurgle!
VIII

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #67
the other .1 percent just gets a buzz. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (3)_files/tongue.gif)

edit: can he give me black marks if I have 3 times as many posts?

[ Monday, August 25, 2003 07:30: Message edited by: Justin Og ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #68
No one who has given black marks recently has actually truly been capable of doing so. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (3)_files/tongue.gif)

EDIT : Well, Alorael could have. But he was being silly as well.

[ Monday, August 25, 2003 09:23: Message edited by: Imban ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
Any topic that has Black Marks in it is going to be dragged into spamming/flaming oblivion until it's locked. I might just as well imvoke Godwin's by saying you are all Nazis and speed up the process. But it won't work if it's intentional. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Evil Companies (3)_files/tongue.gif)

[ Monday, August 25, 2003 12:03: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #70
Microsoft is evol because it made an os that sucks. Bill Gates is the devil's role model. He brainwashed my dad to think that Windows is 'The best thing since God'. He says we're a 'PC and Windows Family'. Well, we must suck because pc's and windows suck. There's my thought. And compaqs are a good PC, so are IBM's. I've had my IBM for 13 years and it hasn't shown any signs of being evil. But dell's suck, they are the only computers we can get, and they have the stupidest commercials ever thought of by some retarded person. Also, AOL is the stupider than anything I've ever seen. It says it's so fast, well how come it takes ten minutes to load up the start windows, and it takes three seconds on IE to load a flash based site like macromedia.com, but it takes five minutes to load up these boards and all the graphics are RedX's? WELL? AOL is the evolest thing ever. I am now done. I haven't said so much in such a long time...

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #71
I can't work out if you're JF or Zxquez, and it's irritating me. Other than that, your post is of no consequence.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #72
Jonnie is Zxquez.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #73
I am Jonnie Jonah and Zxquez. So there.

--------------------
Professor Frost gives me ideas.
Professor Frost has many an eye.
Professor Frost always foils my plans.