United States Conflict Avatars (Cont.)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: United States Conflict Avatars (Cont.)
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #100
First. What is the Eastern Block, and what does it have to do with Africa.
Second. Why am I Canada, couldn't I be a cool country like, Italy, Spain, or Great Britain.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #101
The Eastern Bloc was the eastern European client states of the former Soviet Union, the Warsaw Pact countries. Sort of disturbing you've never heard of it, JF. It's relevance to your opinions about Africa is that it demonstrates ethnicity isn't a real issue when it comes to explaining a nation's propensity for dictatorship, which you'd appreciate if you read my originating post with necessary care.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #102
I did read your post, it was you rambling on about a bunch of **** no one cares about.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #103
Free advice: Swearing at somebody when they make a point that you can't retort doesn't mark you as 'the poster boy for emotional maturity'. I know I cared about X's post, moreover, which shoots that 'point' down in flames.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #104
JF, this is a warning to be less of a bag to people.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #105
JF, back to our AIM conversation - you don't seem to be doing much to crush your previous reputation of bloody-mindedness and political ignorance.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #106
Yeah - I mean, I'm pretty ignorant of lots of political history, stuff I should definitely do more reading on, but then I stay away from political discussions. This is my advice; before you make a point, even open your mouth (or in this case, before you hit the post button), I suggest you read up on the subject if you aren't in a position where you'd know quite a bit about the issue at hand. Otherwise, you'll look like a ranting imbecile who doesn't know what he''s talking about. Scratch that, you'll be a ranting imbecile who doesn't know what he's talking about. Especially when you refuse to listen to whatever the people you're talking to have to say. And especially when you're trampling on the commonly known facts people are presenting to nullify your 'arguments'. JF, you're a true american, I have to say that for you.

Also, just how much do you know about Canada, Italy, Spain, and Great Britain? I'm curious to know just what makes the European countries 'cooler' than Canada. In terms of government, I'd much rather have Chretien as a prime minister than Blair.
Yeah, and I admit that my country is full of mediocre, uneducated, beer-drinking hosers, but other countries have their own illiterate hick types.

To the point, I basically posted this to get an avatar. Are Guatemala and, of course, Mexico taken?

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #107
Since no avatars have been posted for a while, i'm taking the liberty of being the pedantic butt-in:

Nye is Nicaragua,

IMAGE(http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/maps/nu-map.gif)

whose government was overthrown in 1856 by American mercenary William Walker. Walker has a short-lived reign as Nicaraguan dictator and is later executed.
Starting in 1979, Marxist Sandinista rebels take control of the country and provide aid to leftist rebels in El Salvador. The US promptly sponsor the Contras, a rival rebel group, causing a long-lasting and devastating civil war from which the country has still not recovered, as well as resulting in the famed Iran-Contra hearings.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #108
Thanks. :>

[ Thursday, July 24, 2003 09:13: Message edited by: The Time is Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #109
At a guess I'd say that Italy and Spain are 'cool' either because JF's acenstors came from there or because they're ruled by a wannabe mafiosi-cum-criminal and an apologist for Fascism.

I have no idea why he thinks Britain is cool, but I have a horrible feeling it realtes to plenty of things we did in the 19th century that we try to avoid talking about now out of embarrasment.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #110
I think Britian is kool because they had a big Empire in the 19'th centory. And BTW, it is not proven that my Ancestors came frome Spain. But my Ancestors did come frome Italy, And I think Italy and Spain are kool because there Empires had sharp looking uniforms. And who was the wanna be Mafiosa who ran Italy. The Mafiosa thing is a steryotyp, and I hate when people think Italy is a Mafia Wonderland. Yes the LacosaNosa did run Sicily in the late 19'th centory to the early 20'th centory, but that was a long time ago. And The Familys who ran Sicily where not Wannabe Mafia, they where the real things. The Bloods,and The Crypts are wanna be Mafia.Anyway, no ofense Canda, you have a strong Econemy and everything, but your military is feeble.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #111
They've got one of the more impressive militaries in the world, in terms of the country's population and GNP.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #112
JF, there's no way we can have more military personnel than the population of Toronto when our total population is like 30 million. jesus, do some research for once!

and at least we don't sacrifice the quality of our lives just so we can have enough firepower to destroy the world ten times over.

[ Sunday, July 27, 2003 15:29: Message edited by: Paradoxical Wise Man ]

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #113
Someone lock this topic, please... we all know where it's headed...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #114
How about no?

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #115
Canda has the size force they need. They share only one real border, with the US, a nation that has been very friendly for over a hundred years. They are small, only somewhat active in the world, and changing due to immigrants to a more melting pot as the multicultural system starts to fad and intermarrige happens more and more. (that's the differance between Canadian/European immigration and US, the good old boys aside, is slowly merging into a new single ethnic group and over coming those who want ethnic purity.
Of course that aside, the Canadians are really more powerful then we give them credit. They are part of Nato, which gives them access to the best weapons and training, but they are also part of the commenwealth and Norad. It wouldn't surprise me if Canada was Nuclear.
There is one other nation forgotten as a military power, and that is Japan, who is ready to rule the Pacific again. I for one, will accelerate my studies of Japanese so that when they come, I will be able to be valuable to them.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #116
Pretty amused JF thinks stripey pantaloons are cool. :D But if he's talking about Spain now, rather than at the height of its power half a millenium ago, I'd say the Spanish army's uniform is pretty nondescript.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #117
No I was talking about there height half a millenium ago. And The US is a tossed sald, just like Canda. Spainish is spoken just as common as English, in some parts, (Texas, NewMexico, Southern California) even more. Sure the races don't get along and they never will. But we are still a tossed salad. Why we have a strong influx of Latin Americans in The U.S. Sure the immigrants frome Latin America will never move up, and all there decendents will be at the bottom of the Social ladder because there not white. And Yes if you are white or Asian in the U.S you have better opitunities than Hispanics or African Americans. Who am I kidding, The U.S is a extreamly racist country. We could never gain racial Equality because we think Hispanics and African Americans are uncivilized. We are totally ignorant, maybe Canada is more liberaled, open minded, and much more smarter. I mean the only thing the U.S has going for it is a strong Military, which we use to bully small third world nations. We are nothing more than a big, uneducated bully. I order this topic to be blocked before someone gets offended.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #118
JF, the point I am making is Canada is turning to the melting pot effect.
The melting pot is what will kill racism. The US is probably the best nation in the world when it comes to racism, but really, there are huge issues, which the melting pot will fix. The salad bowl theory of multiculturism says that assimilation is wrong, but the truth is tolerance is most acheivable thru intermarriage. European conflicts, some full of huge intolerances, are pretty much extinct in the US due to intermarriage. The intermarraige is so strong, that many Europeans don't get it. Me, myself, am aboout 1/4 German, 1/8 English, 1/8 Scotish, 1/8 French, 1/8 Irish, 1/8 Swedish, 1/8 Native American. If you look at me, I look German, but if I tell Germans my ancestory, they are shocked. Most nations have strict senses of culture and ethenicity that the US lacks, because of that, we are able to deal with race better.
My plan to deal with race, intermarriage until all of America is a shade of Tan.
Not gonna happen you say? Ha. It is happening. Hispanics are a peak at the future, most are mixture of Spanish, Native and Slave blood. The 'whites' are a;; ready mixed with the natives, now intermarriage between blacks and whites is increasing, while most asians I know are either pan-asian, or part white. That is how racism will be solved I feel, by breeding it out of US.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #119
Racism is more about differences of culture and power than of phenotypical appearence in my opinion. Just ask anyone Irish or look at the problems between French- and English-speakers in Quebec.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #120
Kakashi - Japan? An impressive military? I believe that Japan has only a small military for territorial defense and has a very small budget.

Racism in the North of England, where I live, is pretty bad. Walk in the door of any toilet, and you'll see a race war etched in grafitti. There are race fights in the streets, and not suprisingly, 12 miles from me is the heartland of the BNP (British National Party, comprised of 95% racist thugs, and 5% racist politicians).

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #121
The Japanese "Self Defense Forces" (gotta love McArthur for that name), spend the third largest amount (only Russia and the US spend more) in the world for defence. They have the most well equiped army in the world, and some toys that rival the secret stuff the US has. You ask what? A lot of hunter killer subs, a good-size air force, with modern US jets, a surface fleet that dwarfs the neighbors, and a huge number of Tanks. The size in men is small, only around a quarter million, but they have a mobile, well equiped force that could threaten the Eastern Pacific. (It's weird to think of it as the Eastern Pacific, considering it is west of me.) They have no long range capabilites and aren't interested in much beyond what is needed for peacekeeping. They have it as mostly a defensive, don't mess with us attitude. This is needed if you consider most of their neighbors they have been at war with for a very very long time over all of recorded history, and the neighbors would't mind striking back, if they could get away with it. (That is of course, impossiple due to the US presence on and near Japan. Striking Japan would be sucidal for any nation.)

--------------------
I am not really here.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #122
I may not know much about this topic, but I know a lot about human nature, so I can say for a certainty that this is YOUR FAULT!

Come on people, think about it, most of the time you can't say whether people would have been better or worse off if they had or hadn't been colonized or invaded.

Case in point: Greece and Rome (why isn't it italy, anyway) used Roman numerals. think what it would have been like if they used arabic numerals. but would we object if they had invaded?

Africa and Asia are and have been ruled by opposing warlords since the begining (sic) of history. But SO WAS EUROPE. Tenochtitlan (Mexico City) was the size of Paris when the spanish invaded. I believe Edo was at least the same size (part of the year), and the Chinese cities must have been (but I do not really know).

What can be said for certain is that things get better and worse. In that order usually. (that was a joke.) (no, really it was). (yes it is kind of puny). consider any major empire. rome, britttain*, Macintosh, starbucks, Microsoft. And as for dictator subjugating people and getting rich and powerfull, well, that's how it always works, just consider the list of major empires and ask which is the most powerful.

So is Asia the next superpower? How long will the US be on top?

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)

Pages