HORAY!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: HORAY!
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #0
Okay.

I graduated from high school! YAY! I'm on the honour roll too! I got a 96 in English (bit surprising)! I'm happy! I'm going to go travel all summer and then I'm going to the University of Toronto this fall! *huggles the world*

Sorry to litter these boards with my irrelevant personal milestones, but I'm really happy!

I'm off again, but I expect to be back in August.

I LOVE YOU!

--------------------
Aces off.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #1
Yup, but that is a really nice personal milestone, and so congratulations to you!

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #2
YAY4ROSY

Congrats! May good stuff happen to you!

I survived freshman year...still three years to go...ugh.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #3
HORAY INDEED SIRS!!!1

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
i graduate next year. WHOO! and i plan to go to U of T too, heh.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #5
Good for you rosy.

--------------------
Don't expect the expected
expect the unexpected
if you expect the expected
I expect you will remain unexpected.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Congratulations. May harsh reality not be harsh for you.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #7
Is it even reality in the first place, Rosy? For you, I mean.

Congratulations, anyway. I see you're going to Merch after all.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #8
Congrats, Kitten! And enjoy the lovely free time.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Rosy:

I graduated from high school! YAY! I'm on the honour roll too! I got a 96 in English (bit surprising)![/QB]
Hey! Congartulations!!! We had Abitur recently, too :-)

Can you explain an german teacher what a 96 is? 96 percent?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Congratulations, Rosy! Have fun with your summer freedom and college studenthood.

—Alorael, who believes 96 is indeed a percent. Most American grades are given in percents and/or letter grades, and the latter are directly calculated from the former. A 96% is very good.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
it's actually quite exceptional here in Ontario (or at least in my school it would be). i've never had a mark higher than 80 for English in my entire life - my highest mark ever was 75 i believe, and that was in grade 9. since then i've had difficulty even reaching the 70s, thanks to having an obviously prejudiced and biased English teacher for two years in a row. :mad:

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
It depends on the teacher. In English, I've got a lenient teacher who makes it very easy to reach 90-100%. An average student would get 85-90%. However, the letter grade is calculated so that A is 93-100. B is 85-92. Everything below 60% is an F.

On the other hand, my physics teacher gives an A between 80-100%, and 60-80 is a B. The Average % is about 75-80.

See the difference? ;)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #13
Yes, the grading system in America is quite the worst, but I'm too tired to complain about that.

Congratulations Row-Z.

And, speaking of colleges, does anybody have an opinion of Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, or MIT?

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
Um, 65% is the lowest passing grade. As for the A's and B's, A-D is 100-65, and then everything below is F. I think the 100-65 is distributed between letters differently even within the U.S., so the percentage, not the letter, is what counts. And 96% is good, the only reasons I'm getting better are that dad is a senior editor, my mom is a librarian, and my teacher liked me. But good job, and congratulations. No I don't know much about colleges, I was wondering about Colgate... anyone know anything about it? Like what are its specialties and all... because my guidance councellor suggested that as a possibility for me, and I'm interested because I have literally no other ideas.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
I go to an international school in Germany, which uses the American grading system. However, the grade distribution differs between teachers. The Math and Science teachers all give grades according to the average score (so the better the average was, the worse your grade gets), while the Social Studies and Language teachers all give grades according to a consistent table, so the average grade varies between A's B's and C's. The highest passing minimum we have here is 60%, some teachers even have a lower one. :P

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #16
Uh, bye again, ROWSE, may your journey be nasty and destructive to your soul. :)

And you guys don't want me to start ranting about Finland's eduction-system, because of two reasons.
1. I can't. My english isn't good enough.
2. IT'S SUMMER TIME I WANNA FORGET IT ALL.

..so, I let Arctic, Riibu, or some other comrade do it.

[ Friday, June 27, 2003 22:29: Message edited by: Trajkov and the Teapot ]

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #17
I will not do it I hate it I hate all things WWAAAAAHHH! *Huggles a big teddy*

Riibu, I fear it is up to you.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Um, 65% is the lowest passing grade. As for the A's and B's, A-D is 100-65, and then everything below is F. I think the 100-65 is distributed between letters differently even within the U.S., so the percentage, not the letter, is what counts.
It's different everywhere. I've had 69 be an F, and I've had 49 be the first F (50 was a D-). It all depends on the teacher.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #19
Hmm. At my school, pretty much anything below a C minus is kind of considered failing...they won't make you repeat the subject for a C minus, but if you're in an honors course they'll demote you to a regular course. If you're in middle school and in a regular course and you get a D minus, they'll put you on probation. I'm not sure what happens in high school.

Honors courses are graded on a five-point scale rather than a four-point scale, and so you'd think a B would count as a 4.0, right? No, of course not. It's only a 3.75. The GPA demons are conspiring against me.

Just a bit of wench-ranting about the American grading system. :mad:

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #20
Grade systems hardly relate to the actual topic, but I suppose it's fine if no one minds.

We got numbers over here, 4(F)-10(A). Good enough? Ought to be, because I'm not telling any more. I'm not even the only Finnish person here, there's many more. Like Wizard.

And WTG Rosie :P .

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #21
Congrats, Rosy!!!!! I wish you luck in Toronto! ;)

I'll grad in three more years... though those three years go at lightning speed!

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

I go to an international school in Germany,
Gently asking where this school may be. Not in Bonn/Plittersdorf, isn´t it?

We have a grade-System which goes from 1-6.
1: very good
6: worst, unlikely of getting better soon

It is approx. 50%=4-, having less will be failure, but the mark counts, not the percentage.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #23
You should see the systems in Scotland! Not only do they number years from S1-S6 for high school and P1-P7 for primary school (don't ask), but some of the grading I've seen is really bad! In the Standard Grade Exams (which I've just finished) you get a grade from 1-7, 7 being a fail, but the odd thing is you have to take a seperate exam for sets of two grades (i.e. one exam will get you a 1 or a 2, the next will get you a 3 or a 4 and the third (for dunces only) gets you only a 5 or a 6). Thank God they're changing it to a more sensible A-C system, with one exam!

Two years ago, however, it was even worse! It was a 1-10 system where 10% of the year would get each grade. Of course everyone hated it, even the teachers, for they spent half the time complaining about it. It may seem sensible just looking at it but it's not. In the easier exams the cutoffs for a grade 10 were like 80%-81%, a blatant "1" or "A" in any other exam! They stillhaven't got rid of it, although it's 1-8 now...

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Iolanda:

[QB]Gently asking where this school may be. Not in Bonn/Plittersdorf, isn´t it?

It's in Duesseldorf, but I live in Duisburg, in North-rine Westfalia.

--------------------
---
---

Pages