Defeating the Undefeatable

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Defeating the Undefeatable
Apprentice
Member # 8990
Profile #0
Maybe a bit late but... did you ever defeat one of the "Undefeatable" Characters in an Exile game?

Like in E3 (The only one I can speak of, since I HAD it registered), I managed to kill Rentar-Ihrno after a good, and LONG battle... the Empress was also supposed to be undefeatable, lived no more than a few minutes (Maximum) when I attacked her though...

Those are the only "Undefeatable ones I can think of now... anymore you killed?

--------------------
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.

TM about one of his own Scenarios: "Well... enjoy... nevermind."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #1
Well there's Erika. I killed her in either E3 or A3, or possibly both. Her doomguads made that a nightmare.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I thought only Rentar-Ihrno is supposed to be truly unbeatable. Most of the rest just cause instantaneous death if you harm them. Like Erika if you have no Cooling Amulets, Prazac, and the entire population of Fort Emergence.

—Alorael, who actually remembers Prazac being rather fragile. It's a small comfort when you get smacked down by an instant death node for doing the deed. At least in E1 you get a chance at a getaway with enough brooches.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 9367
Profile #3
In E2 I defeated Garzahd with blades as opposed to mindduel, which is how you're told to. It seemed to me alot easier, even though he has (probably) max HP and armor, he also has alot of spell points.

--------------------
I came, I saw, I conquered
Apprentice
Member # 12891
Profile #4
It was fairly easy, but in E3 I beat the Troglo King instead of going down into the dungeon and just assassinating the Head Trogolo Khazi (sorry, I'm not too great with names). It was funny because afterwards I got congratulatory messages "from the king" and the Hill Giant attack plan went on without a hitch.

--------------------
Dry Ice. Updated 5x a week for your icy amusement.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #5
I slew Khoth and all his guardians and blackshades, but I still didn't have access to his treasury (or whatever it is).

I've also laid waste to Shayder on numerous occasions, but that's pretty easy.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #6
Jeff tosses the "undefeatable" label out a bit too much, methinks.

Characters that don't have the "you attack you die" node on them are usually easily taken out. Erika was simple, especially since her Doomguards didn't move. Rentar I had a bit of trouble with, but I recall that I whittled away her health while gulping down healing potions and she eventually gave in.

I killed a bunch of dragons, except for Mortrax. I loved that old boy..

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
Did anythings special happen when you killed Rentar-Ihrno in A3?

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

Well there's Erika. I killed her in either E3 or A3, or possibly both. Her doomguads made that a nightmare.
Doomguards a nightmare? In E3, no way; just the opposite. All you had to do was haste yourself, make yourself invulnerable, and Shockwave them to death.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
To kill doom guards I often surround them with force barriers. Killing Rentar-Ihrno is easier if you smother her with anti-magic fields.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #10
Nalyd killed Rentar in A3 by summoning Gazers to sap her spell energy (Damn healing!) and autobattleing her to death.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by It hates Iffy:

Did anythings special happen when you killed Rentar-Ihrno in A3?
No, because it's not supposed to be possible. The game behaves as if she's still alive as far as the ending is concerned.

—Alorael, who still thinks that the climactic final battle that you can't actually win as a battle is a good idea. Last battles tend towards the pushover end of the spectrum anyway.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #12
I dunno, Alo. I'd like to see Rentar get what's coming, she's been alive far too long for my tastes.

Or maybe we killed her off by now. I'm not sure, I haven't played Avernum 4 in a very long time, and I don't own a Mac for A5.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #13
I thought Rentar-Ihrno died in Avernum 3. She did reappear as an apparition, but having never played A4 or A5 I wouldn't know.

The vahnatai are overrated.

Ok, I just thought of a place in Avernum 3. There's a whole bunch of dervishes camped near Blackcrag Fortress. I was incapable of destroying their whole camp, so is it possible to do so?

[ Friday, January 04, 2008 13:00: Message edited by: Excalibur ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
You can never empty out the army near Blackcrag.

Also, SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!

Rentar-Ihrno makes another appearance as the major villain in A4, at the end of which you can kill her or not. A5 confirms that she's very dead, though. Most of us are thankful.

End of SPOILERS!

—Alorael, who now adds spoiler tags to the list of things missing from UBB that would be nice to have around.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #15
I killed Rentar back when she was just a wee little Vahnatai Lord in Exile 2. She wasn't "undefeatable" back then. :)

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

Doomguards a nightmare? In E3, no way; just the opposite. All you had to do was haste yourself, make yourself invulnerable, and Shockwave them to death.
If you have to turn yourself invincible to kill something, clearly it isn't THAT easy. Obviously if you're willing to cast protect on everyone / chug ironskin brews, you can kill anything. I usually don't like to do that.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #17
Actually, the invulnerability is to protect myself from all the Shockwave spells flying around. When you have 6 PCs who can cast it, and they're all on different spaces, that creates high potential for accidentally committing suicide each round of combat if you're not careful.

[ Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:30: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #18
I've played before with all six characters adroit in the field of priestly matters, but magery no. I'm wondering why you chose to do that.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Probably because you can cause epic chaos with six mages. :P

Edit: Of course, you can cause epic chaos with other party builds as well, so let's just say that six mages allows for a very specific kind of epic chaos.

Dikiyoba.

[ Sunday, January 06, 2008 16:33: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #20
Why do I have 6 mages? Because I can. And I can deal more damage, and do it more efficiently, by throwing spells in combat than hacking my way through.

By the way, all 6 of my mages are also trained as priests, so I can "cause epic chaos" (as Dikiyoba put it) that way as well. ;)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 14031
Profile #21
Speaking of Garzahd in E2, I've taken him out
twice with an ur-basilisk (three times if you
count the battle in front of Ornotha Ziggurat
where he leaves after having only taken a little
damage - including stoning. Though that is by no
means little.)
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #22
While that may be all well & good, you have to kill Garzahd as one of the main quests, so he doesn't exactly qualify as undefeatable.

--------------------