Geneforge 5 - May Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5 - May Update
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
It's been a long, exhausting run on Geneforge 5 lately. I have completed 13 zones, 2 major cities, 2 game-long plot threads, and all of the demo.

I am finally taking an overdue moment to say where I am at. I'm sorry it's taken so long, but Rock Band, Smash Brothers Brawl, and GTA4 don't play themselves.

It's tough work. It has been a real challenge to find a way to end the series in a plausible and satisfying way and to give the player a real role in it. It is really important to me for the game to reflect that this is a large world, full of a lot of powerful people. The player gets to have a small but pivotal role in ending the war. There are heroes and generals running around. You are the agent acting behind to scenes to help one faction be triumphant. I really like this aspect of it. It feels like the right balance between making the player significant and part of a larger world.

As I said before, there are five game-winning factions. You can play through much of the game, meeting people and finding out who the factions are, and then decide which one to join. Some are reasonable. Some are pretty crazy. All provide satisfying endings to the saga.

I have done a lot of work on the interface. Geneforge 5 now supports OpenGL and will tap some of the power of your graphics card.

In Geneforge 5, you can play the game on any size of monitor and you can play the game in a window. If you have a huge monitor, you can see a huge chunk of the terrain around you. It really makes a big difference.

There are a lot of new graphical frills that make things look quite a bit nicer. Of course, these can be turned off on older machines. I fully intend for old machines to be able to run Geneforge 5, though you might need to shrink the play area a bit.

There is now customization for the keyboard shortcuts. You can also customize the game area somewhat by moving around or minimizing the party roster and automap.

You will not be surprised to learn that many major characters from earlier in the series are returning for a final hurrah (or destruction). You will also get to meet and deal with the mysterious Shaper Council. The chaos of the previous years have caused the leaders of the Shapers to become ... erratic. Perhaps this can be exploited for your gain.

You can also learn a lot about the history and ways of the Shapers. Writing these parts are the most fun for me.

Still hope to have it out for Mac in November. Seems plausible.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
SWEET. What a great update. Categorically.

Windowed mode, and customizable keyboard shortcuts -- very nice!
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 11797
Profile #2
Just listening to the update makes me want to jump off a building to break the tension that is turning my body into a battlefield between insanity and reason

I really have no requests to change the way the game has played cause nomader what you do it`s gonna make me play it again and again except 2 things: 1:You, with all your ganemaking power, make another tier of creations and two more spells.

I just really want a fresh superpowerful melee creature. The Rothgroth has served it'a time honurable as THE MOST POWERFUL melee creature and it's time to move on. SO PPPPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!! :D :D :D
If not, could you at least bring back the Rodizon :)

2: One last huge cool :cool: battle to decide it ALL. Perhaps Ghaldring vs The Shaper council
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
all of the demo.
*wink *wink, *nudge *nudge.
Please?

--------------------
Jim, the end of the world is here, the Xel'Naga have returned -Zeratul in Starcraft 2 trailer
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
We have cared for Auir and you people, even when you shun us for rejecting the Khala - Zeratul
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
The Great Programmer of Great Games makes yet again more updates.

The return of major characters sounds interesting. I wonder if Alwan or Greta will be in G5. So will this game assume that the trakovite ending happened?

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #5
........... Jeff, you are so cruel. I am now going to live a tortured craving existence for the next several months. But its worth it.
Thank you.

--------------------
Die
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #6
...why does Jeff torment us? Giving all these updates and whatnots. He's inhumane! :(

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
quote:
He's inhumane! :(
Or inhuman. You never know...

Edit - I wonder. Will there be an epic battle like in A2?

[ Wednesday, May 07, 2008 16:50: Message edited by: Iffy ]

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
At last, the Shaper Council! About time we got to meet them... before the ending. I just hope the anti-creation pro-self-shaping faction is as cool as the Barzites were. It will be great to once again have access to a faction that is more close to my personal beliefs. You do have an anti-creation, pro-self-shaping faction in there with the five, right?

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 11797
Profile #9
I agree. It's pushing whatever pathetic strand of sanity i have left.

Here's an update of my battle for sanity

Most of my lower body has submitted to the control of insanity. Sanity has retreated to my thighs and an aking pain has erupted. I beilive that insanity has launched a suprise attack with rothgroths and wingbolts. sanity has quickly set up turrents and mines to hold them off but it dosen't look good
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
So we finally get to do the Shaper Council Invitation quest that DV mentioned? I hope the paper quest is easier.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #11
I look forward to seeing the improved graphics. Sounds interesting. Especially since the new iMac come with a minimum of 20' screen.

Also, a suggestion that I think many other people besides me would appreciate. Let the healing finish completely before damage is dealt. I don't know how many times, that I've healed myself for 200 hp, only to have it stop after fifty because I was poisoned and that had to deal 5 damage. Also in midbattle, you heal yourself for 200 hp, it gets to 100, then an enemy hits you for 159 and you never finish healing.

--------------------
Ornks, Guac, Gazers. 'Nuff said.
=:T:=
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
All details so far really sound great. Multiple factions will be good, and a chance to play with the big boys — including the Shaper Council at last — without having them dwindle into insignificance.

An option to get truly geneforged up to world domination would still be cool! Perhaps it should somehow be very difficult.

I would also really love it if, while we're talking about how the player manages to play a decisive role in a world full of generals and heroes, somehow the reason for the PC's rapid ascent is finally given. Maybe the first prehistoric geneforge experiments, by the original proto-Shapers of Sucia, injected a rare gene into the Shaper line, which makes the odd Shaper apprentice gain power rapidly under stress. And then maybe the G4 geneforge induced the same effect.

It would also be nice to have the opportunity to bring moderate rebels and Shapers together in a way that explicitly invokes the memory of the Awakened. That would bring the series full circle.

I really like the notion that the Shaper Council is cracking under the strain. This plays perfectly into the suspicion, built up throughout the games, that the Shapers aren't nearly as strong in character as they like to make out.

Finally, the top tier battle creation really ought to be replaced. Demote War Tralls to missile-throwing battle gamma NPC monsters. Bring in a big, tough, fast, lethally poisonous arachnid with a slowing web attack. And crazy like a Gazer. The Giant Lunatic Unfriendly Talking Spider. Ya!

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
Wow, all that I have read makes me happy. I think this will be a great improvement over GF4, which already was so good-looking. keep on trunkin' there, Jeff, it sounds great!

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 12702
Profile #14
November for the Mac probably means January - February for the PC'ers *coughmecough*... it's a long way away, but I can wait... I think... *twitch*

--------------------
I have had ENOUGH of these (deleted) drayks on this (deleted) plain!
Apprentice
Member # 5915
Profile #15
Anybody else considering buying a 24" imac just for the game?

--------------------
Troop of Drayks
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #16
GF5 = WIN.

Do we have any word on pack animals?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
What's the point of pack animals? They were originally suggested to deal with encumbrance, but G4 stopped counting items in your pack against you. No point in pack animals anymore.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #18
Less having to dump stuff in some location.
Or less having to sift through your personal inventory.

Also, y'know, realism.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Sushi:
Anybody else considering buying a 24" imac just for the game?
Anybody else already have a 24" imac? Ahem. *polishes badge*

I feel like I'll be able to see whole zones at once with this thing.
quote:
Silver Shadow:
Less having to dump stuff in some location.
Another idea rather than pack animals might be a something like a Diablo 2 style stash system. Each major city could have a stash just for you for storing items, and they would be linked to each other. I wouldn't want pack animals simply because I can just imagine them getting killed in a boss fight or something and there being tons of your loot lying around right in the middle of a hostile zone. No fun.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 10908
Profile #20
A diablo 2 style stash is a good idea. There are things I would like to see, but I can't say I won't play the game without them :)
Sounds great Jeff!!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #21
Finally no more black bars on the side of the game window.

"As I said before, there are five game-winning factions."

Does that imply that there are non-game winning factions?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #22
I would like a crap-load of new creations; I want to be able to shape all (within reason) the varieties that show up throughout the older games. stick another tier of creations on and ditch the war tralls. I just wonder how he'll surpass Gazers/Eyebeasts and Drakons. Personally for the battle creation I'd like would either be the spider concept or a golem type thing. (not just a golem, but a golem type thing; the golems look like they're mad of oatmeal. a new battle spell might be in order since the late game bosses resist fire, perhaps an aura of kill (like arcane blow in A3) :D MWAHAHAHA!!!! :D

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

I have done a lot of work on the interface. Geneforge 5 now supports OpenGL and will tap some of the power of your graphics card.

Out of interest, what sorts of things are you doing with OpenGL in this engine?
Warrior
Member # 15001
Profile #24
I know I'm the only one, but I really like the War Trall. Who doesn't want a giant ape with a bag full of rocks?

I would like it if flying creations gained some sort of benefit from their ability to fly, though.

Pages